Falcons Fan MVP

The Consolidated Dan Quinn Thread

444 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Takes 2. Maybe the Lions were offering nothing but a middle finger 

The Lions INQUIRED about the trade but offered a middle finger? That makes no sense. I’m sure they offered at least a 5th or 6th round pick. 

Edited by shock

3 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:
An intriguing would-be trade that was heavily discussed over the past week, but didn’t end up happening: #Falcons RB Devonta Freeman to the #Lions. DET inquired, the sides talked about a possible deal at length, but ultimately, Atlanta just decided they didn’t want to trade him.

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It may be more than just picks. DET probably wanted ATL to take some of the cap hit from the contract. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

It may be more than just picks. DET probably wanted ATL to take some of the cap hit from the contract. 

This is a good point. But im still furious...it’s like we are still trying to salvage this lost season 

18 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

I can't imagine where you would get this from, unless you have some inside info that AB is going off of consulting information from Cheech & Chong.

It's not hard to see that.  AB is on record and it's been said more than once that when he bought the team he went around to all 32 teams to get insight on what to do and not do.  He said the most resounding thing was continuity.  Continuity doesn't come with firing the entire FO and coaching staff.  One of them is safe and the newest person with the most success is Quinn.  TD made all the decisions with all other coaches and they didn't make it to the Bowl....Quinn comes in and goes to the Bowl.  Pretty easy once you take your blinders that Quinn has a good chance of staying.

The only thing that is constant through majority of AB time here is McKay and TD.  Do you get rid of the new coach that took you where you want to get, or the entire FO that has yet to be able to get you there with drafting and other coaches? 

Just pointing out that there's not a farfetched way of getting to Quinn staying and the entire FO is out.  He very well may fire all aspects of the team outside of the players......but that flies in the face of what he's done and said for almost 2 decades. 

20 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I disagree.

What we see on the field is not a lack of physical talent.

It would be one thing if these guys never performed.  They have.

No what we’re seeing is a lack of preparation, execution, and motivation 

One thing about Blank.  He sees the big picture.  He knows keeping Quinn will do more harm than good with his paying customers.

And in the end that’s what Blank cares about.

Putting a lot of weight in preparation being on the coach.  When is it for the players to do their preparation the other 20 hours they are outside of the coaches grasp at practice?.  The overall lack of football IQ that the FO has brought in may never be able to grasp the concepts.  Athletes look lost on the field, high football IQ looks great on the field.  Falcons are paper champs due to the amount of athletes on the field....the Pats may very well be the least athletic team in the league and are on their way to another ring and they have a team on very high IQ players.

20 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I have heard this topic  bandied about here with the team trading the player absorbing some of the cap hit or salary.   Is this actually allowed in the NFL?

I have never heard of this actually happening before - EVER - and I don’t think the NFL rules allow for it unless something has changed in last year or two.

Does anyone know definitively?

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I have heard this topic  bandied about here with the team trading the player absorbing some of the cap hit or salary.   Is this actually allowed in the NFL?

I have never heard of this actually happening before - EVER - and I don’t think the NFL rules allow for it unless something has changed in last year or two.

Yes. Almost like restructuring the contract where salary is converted into a bonus of some sort.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Well, rumor was yesterday Vic couldn’t be moved because Atlanta wanted to only pay half of the remaining salary this year.

27 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That is the thing that people don't seem to understand. We don't know exactly what the lions were offering so we can't say whether they are idiots for turning it down or not. I mean it could have been a conditional 6 or 7th round pick in 2021 for all we know..

I hate how people just hear one side of the story and automatically make assumptions.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

That is the thing that people don't seem to understand. We don't know exactly what the lions were offering so we can't say whether they are idiots for turning it down or not. I mean it could have been a conditional 6 or 7th round pick in 2021 for all we know..

I hate how people just hear one side of the story and automatically make assumptions.

Like the OP who titled the thread "Quinn and TD are idiots." Lol. Basically, the Falcons MUST trade Freeman, Beasley, and Trufant for essentially nothing or else they are complete morons....

5 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Yes. Almost like restructuring the contract where salary is converted into a bonus of some sort.

That is a different topic altogether.

I am talking about trades.   The OLD RULE was all dead money (unamortized bomuses and guaranteed money) accelerated to cap for team trading away the player.   This was a big reason why big contracts and teams flush against the cap were presumed to have a difficult time trading high dollar contract players.

There has been more trades the last few years so I am not sure if rules have changed or not but in the past, I don’t think a team could eat cap space - or maybe it just was never asked for before - not sure?

2 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

That trade have unloaded alot of cap room.

Now freeman is going to feel betrayed. Maybe it will lite a fire under him.

It doesn’t matter if Free feels betrayed or not.   This season is a wrap and Free will not be on the team in 2020.

4 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

That trade have unloaded alot of cap room.

Now freeman is going to feel betrayed. Maybe it will lite a fire under him.

Meh. I'm sure almost the entire roster aside from Matt, Julio, Grady, and probably Rico are out there for themselves at this point, not the team. 

papachaz likes this

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Like the OP who titled the thread "Quinn and TD are idiots." Lol. Basically, the Falcons MUST trade Freeman, Beasley, and Trufant for essentially nothing or else they are complete morons....

Eggs-actly.

Trading guys who can still contribute for nothing does not help your team.

Trading Trufant does not make Falcons better football team..... unless you got something significant in return like a potential higher second round pick.

Freeman still has value.... he still contributes in the passing game and it's still an effective Runner when he gets halfway decent blocking.... trading him for $0.02 on the dollar again does not make the Falcons a better football team.

Freeman, depends on what you get.  5th round pick isn't much.  I would be all in at a 4th round pick for Freeman.  Anything for Beasley would have been a win.