Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Tom Brady Offers #12 to Sanu

88 posts in this topic

Would have been funny if Sanu called his bluff and said thanks for the #12.  

Tom Brady offers No. 12 jersey number to new teammate who politely declines

Mohamed Sanu assumed he would no longer wear No. 12 after being traded from the Atlanta Falcons to the New England Patriots earlier this week. He didn't, however, expect the greatest player to ever wear No. 12 offer him the opportunity to continue wearing his old number. Tom Brady, the Patriots' six-time Super Bowl champion quarterback, apparently did offer the number to Sanu, who politely declined. 

"He DM'd me when I first got traded, said welcome and everything like that, how he was excited," Sanu told reporters on Friday, via 98.5 The Sports Hub. "And then, he said if I wanted 12, I can get it. I was like, 'Nah, you got that. I'll change to 14.'" 

Did Sanu offer Brady anything in hopes of having the chance to keep his old number? 

"No," Sanu said with a smile. "I'll just go out there and do my job and let him be great." 

Sanu has made a quick impression with his new team. On Friday, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick indicated to reporters that the veteran receiver is on track to play in Sunday night's home game against the Cleveland Browns. Sanu, an eight-year veteran who broke into the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals before signing with the Atlanta Falcons in 2016, will look to help bolster a New England offense that had to place fellow receiver Josh Gordon on the injured reserve list earlier this week. 

"Smart kid. Picks things up well," Belichick said of Sanu, via USA Today. "We'll see what we can do here. Sometimes, as it accumulates — early downs, third down, red area, situational stuff — we'll see what the load looks like. He's made good progress both days. Works hard. Good kid. He's really in tune and trying very hard to pick up things quickly, and get on the same page with everybody else. Obviously, there's a long way to go. A lot of work to do. But he's working hard at it. You appreciate that."

Brady, who is off to another strong start in his 20th NFL season, likes what he's seen from Sanu thus far. Sanu, a third-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft out of Rutgers, has 377 career receptions for 4,300 yards and 25 touchdowns while averaging 11.4 yards per reception. He's caught over 65 passes and 650 receiving yards while scoring at least four touchdowns in four different seasons. 

"He brings a lot of juice, so it's good to have," Brady of Sanu. "It's good to see someone that's competitive. If you watch him play, he plays with an attitude. He's got a little chip on his shoulder, too, so I think we can relate to each other. And he can relate to a guy like Julian [Edelman], because he was often overlooked in his career, and I think he plays that way."

Sanu, who was a member of the 2016 Falcons team that fell in dramatic fashion to the Patriots in Super Bowl LI, will look to contribute to an offense that is currently first in the NFL in scoring and fifth in passing. The 7-0 Patriots have also been anchored by a dominant defense that has allowed just 48 points heading into Sunday night's game

8 minutes ago, WisFalcon said:

Empty offer. Brady can’t switch his number at this point. 

Exactly. He did it for the media attention. Dude has a sacrificial alter at his locker for crying out loud. He probably would have asked for Sanu’s soul in return

WisFalcon, Big_L and Iron Saint like this

Just now, wartownfalcon said:

Exactly. He did it for the media attention. Dude has a sacrificial alter at his locker for crying out loud. He probably would have asked for Sanu’s soul in return

Brady didn’t tell the media...lol 

29 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Dude gets so much hate....but he is a solid all around human being who also happens to be the GOAT

You know why Brady gets hate. It’s not even him, it’s everyone around him. People label him the GOAT (like you just did) when there are several people (including me) who simply just know he isn’t actually the best ever. 

12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You know why Brady gets hate. It’s not even him, it’s everyone around him. People label him the GOAT (like you just did) when there are several people (including me) who simply just know he isn’t actually the best ever. 

It’s just opinions, JD.  Neither is right or wrong. I consider Brady the best because he has won in every conceivable environment. No receivers, three Super Bowl titles. Great offense & average defense, 1 title.  Just solid on both sides of the ball, 2 titles.

The one condition he can’t claim is poor coaching.  And that’s the reason people say he isn’t the GOAT.  But I can only judge him based on what’s under his control… And under that criteria he has no peer in my opinion

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s just opinions, JD.  Neither is right or wrong. I consider Brady the best because he has one in every conceivable environment. No receivers, three Super Bowl titles. Great offense & average defense, 1 title.  Just solid on both sides of the ball, 2 titles.

The one condition he can’t claim is poor coaching.  And that’s the reason people say he isn’t the GOAT.  But I can only judge him based on what’s under his control… And under that criteria he has no peer in my opinion

I was simply just stating why he gets hate. That is why. 

papachaz and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 minutes ago, octoslash said:

There's a difference between being the most successful ever, which Brady is, and the greatest ever, which he is not.  

Please explain his limitations that prevent him from being the GOAT.  What are his weaknesses, outside of mobility?

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

Please explain his limitations that prevent him from being the GOAT.  What are his weaknesses, outside of mobility?

It's my opinion, that's all. 

And in my opinion, Dan Marino is the greatest quarterback I ever saw, followed by Joe Montana.  Brady's success has a lot to do with his surroundings and the insane stability within the Patriots system. 

In other words, if Matt Ryan had been up there for twenty years he'd probably have a buttload of rings too, and if Tom Brady had been down here since 1998, well...….

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

And in my opinion, Dan Marino is the greatest quarterback I ever saw, followed by Joe Montana.  Brady's success has a lot to do with his surroundings and the insane stability within the Patriots system. 

In other words, if Matt Ryan had been up there for twenty years he'd probably have a buttload of rings too, and if Tom Brady had been down here since 1998, well...….

Yea, Belichick could win Super Bowls with probably 80% of the starting QB’s in today’s NFL. 

Emmitt, octoslash and Lombardi like this

Wish Sanu would have called him in it so Brady could have looked like a prick for going back on it...or look like really cool dude for actually changing. Either way it’s a look at me, I’m Tom Brady move.

23 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Solid point.  My response would simply be this: Brady certainly isn’t the most physically gifted player.  Where he laps the field is leadership & competitiveness.

13 minutes ago, octoslash said:

There's a difference between being the most successful ever, which Brady is, and the greatest ever, which he is not.  

That is a good way to put it. I would love to see how Brady would have done if you flipped him and Matt. By most accounts, Brady was an unknown back up when Bledsoe went down. It wasn’t like he was about to take the starting job. Who knows what happens if Bledsoe didn’t get hurt. He could have had a journeyman type career. Give him credit though. He made the most of his opportunity.

Halcon-1 likes this

14 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, Belichick could win Super Bowls with probably 80% of the starting QB’s in today’s NFL. 

True...but without Brady I suspect he has just 3  titles.  Still GOAT amongst coaches, but not quite as impressive

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

7-0 seems more likely.  A Sanu type player at every position on offense would result in a team that never punts

...and if they did have to punt it would be awesome because Sanu would be the punter.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

18 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

True...but without Brady I suspect he has just 3  titles.  Still GOAT amongst coaches, but not quite as impressive

The difference is I think Belichick with Peyton wins 10 rings. Not kidding 

Brady is absolutely the greatest to ever play the position. Get real, people. Marino? Lmao.... Only QB to have ANY argument to be considered better than Brady is Montana, because he was the previous GOAT. But whether you like it or not, Brady is the best QB of all time, period. 

Edited by shock
MoFalconsFan56 likes this