A much, much, much too early 2020 Mock Draft for the Atlanta Falcons

g-dawg

Here we go......1-6 record heading into the back half of the season - wow- didn't see this coming.   I wasn't convinced that we solved all our problems in one off-season but thought we shored up the OLine and expected defense to be somewhat better w/ a full season of Debo, Keanu and Rico.    Not surprised at all that Vic continues to be a Buster.    As bad as the Falcons defense has been - and it has been awful - the inability of the offense to run the ball and protect Matt Ryan is just astonishing.   It seems like as soon as our 1st round pick Chris Lindstrom went down - nothing has gone right.

Oh well, this is where we are - accept it and hope for a better way.    Usually once the draft gets close, I try to predict what the organization will do by knowing and being familiar w/ the decision makers.  For 2020, we don't even know who the decision makers will be - Will Dan Quinn survive?  Will Thomas Dimitroff survive?    I would put DQ's likelihood to be fired at 70% and Dimitroff's at 60%.  At this point, I believe they should be a package deal but if either of them survive, make no mistake - it will be hair gel boy himself - TD has more lives than a cat.

So, might as well do what I would do as GM - Right now Falcons are 1-6 and in 4th spot in draft order.    Will be interesting to see what happens Sunday in Mercedes Dome versus the Seahawks.  Clearly the Seahawks are the better team right now plus Matt Ryan is likely out so you would think this game would be a wrap - and it may be - to me, this is the team's final stand and they all know DQ is hangin' by a thread - I would expect them to play well in this game - IF they are ever gonna play well this season.   I still predict a loss but wouldn't be totally shocked if we win.    If Falcons lose this game, I believe we finish the season 3-13 where maybe we beat Tampa and Jacksonville at home and lose the rest of the games.  The other three teams with same or worse records - Bengals, Dolphins, Jets and Redskins - the only team I would guarantee would likely lose out is Miami.   Obviously all 4 teams are broken but Jets, Skins and Bengals actually have some talent and all should eek out another 2-3 wins the rest of the way.   My predicted draft order:

1) Miami Dolphins (1-15)

2) Cincinnati Bengals (2-14)

3) Atlanta Falcons (3-13)

4) Washington Redskins (4-12)

So here we go......

Related image

The Miami Dolphins are on the clock:   <Roger Goodell to the Podium>

"With the 1st pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...............Tua Tagovailoa, Quarterback - Alabama

Image result for tua tagovailoa dolphins

<Roger Goodell to the Podium>

"With the 2nd pick in the 2020 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select......Joe Burrow, QB - LSU  (yes, over Justin Herbert)

Related image

The Atlanta Falcons are on the clock:

Image result for the atlanta falcons are on the clock

"With the 3rd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select....

****CHASE YOUNG, DEFENSIVE END - OHIO STATE****

6'5", 265lbs

Image result for chase young ohio state

g-dawg take:   Make no mistake, this guy is an athletic freak and in a normal draft year, he probably goes #1 overall.   Tremendous size and athletic talent at 6'4" and 265lbs.  He's not gonna run some sub 4.6/40 but I don't care - Chase Young is a TRUE defensive end and he has enough speed to bend the edge, power to put an offensive tackle on skates and isn't a one-trick pony on passrush moves.  He is also terrific against the run.   There is very little chance that he would drop lower than #3 overall - certainly possible that Tua, Burrow and Herbert could go 1,2, 3 but I doubt it will happen that way.  Maybe if we were sitting at #3 and Redskins have "seen enough" on Dwayne Haskins and wanted to admit a mistake and draft the #3 guy here, we could move down one but that is highly doubtful.  Maybe Redskins would draft Andrew Thomas if they were at #3 since  apparently losing Trent Williams who is sitting out the season.

PROS: Ready made body compositions from day one. Impressive physique that includes bulky arms and long, but filled out lower half. Athleticism is evident and has the frame to match the explosiveness that he shows frequently. As a run defender, he sets a firm edge by executing full arm extensions in order to keep contain on the perimeter. Employs a versatile repertoire of moves that he uses at a sporadic rate that keeps blockers off balance. Is able to win from a multitude of platforms and is not just an outside rush. Has the versatility to slide down inside on late passing down situations and still experience high amounts of success. 

Well diversed and educated on the nuances of hand-to-hand combat and just how he can win in this department. Hand violence and authority behind them have blossomed over his collegiate career. Loves to use a “hump” move to overpower blockers after setting them up with an inside-out or outside-in stutter step to get them off balance.

CONS: Feet can become semi-heavy, but he shows to have an above average first-step. When able to win the corner, he has the hips in order to dip, bend, and flatline to the quarterback. When not able to gain the upfield shoulder of offensive tackles, there are some struggles of being able to reset the corner prior to the engagement point. This is where he can become a body magnet and grapple with blockers before ever being able to execute a counter move. 

Even though Young shows that he has success with attacking certain portions of blockers, there’s a sense of panic when unable to reach target areas. When unable to reach these body portions while rushing, he will relegate immediately to a bull rush, attacking straight down the chest of blockers. Having a limited success rate with this tactic and it’s clear that it’s not one of his strongest suits. 

2nd Round:

"With the 35th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select.........

****DYLAN MOSES, Linebacker - ALABAMA**** (#2-035)

6'3", 235lbs

Image result for dylan moses alabama

g-dawg take:   I will be the first to admit that Dylan Moses is a 1st round talent.   However he is not playing this year and he  could drop out of the 1st round depending on how much he is able to do on pre-draft workouts.   Falcons need another dynamic playmaker to pair with Deion Jones as DeVondre Campbell could be on the way out the door and hybrid DE/OLB Vic Beasley likely won't be back, either.

PROS: Consummate NFL prospect at linebacker with a sky-high ceiling. First-step explosiveness and pursuit speed for a player of Moses’ size are both inexplicable by human conception — is impossibly quick getting downfield into the mess and is rarely beaten to the boundary on constraint and horizontal stretch plays. Range of influence is at an elite level. Still, physical and strong between the tackles — can block deconstruct opponents 100 pounds his superior with fantastic lower-body explosiveness and cinderblocks for hands. Flexibility and body control through contact make him an elite penetration player who can make tackles outside of the range of influence for regular human beings. Multiple examples on film of taking responsibility for multiple blockers and opening up teammates; again, of beating routine blocks to make high-impact tackles near or behind the line of scrimmage.

Effective zone coverage defender given transitional quickness and play recognition. Jumpy to play action and unaware of routes behind him at times, which are common complaints for inexperienced, young linebackers — more reps are necessary to shoring up instincts. However, willingness to get connected and attack through the catch point are both advanced for linebacker play. Is a true three-down player with the potential to be an early pick and top-flight NFL player.

CONS: Complaints are few and far between. Moses was sidelined in favor of Browns LB Mack Wilson in dime packages for the Tide, which limits his reps on late and long situations — this is unlikely a referendum on Moses’s coverage ability, as he has strong coverage reps on early downs, and more a testament to Wilson’s coverage ability. However, Moses could use more reps in man coverage, as he can be caught sniffing the backfield and losing connection to his responsibilities. Will also occasionally get cute dealing with climbing linemen, sidestepping and slinking by on plays on which it is unreasonable to expect him to make the tackle — needs to be more willing to eat plays and fight for the next down.

"The New England Patriots traded their 2nd round pick - #64 overall - to the Atlanta Falcons"

"With the 64th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select....

****JAYLON JOHNSON, Cornerback - Utah****

6'0", 190lbs

Image result for jaylon johnson utah

g-dawg take:  Hopefully we have some corners on the roster already in Sheffield and Miller.   I believe Isaiah Oliver may need to be moved to safety - I just don't see him working out as a corner based  on the early returns.    Jaylon Johnson is a ballhawk who has good hands and is aggressive - sometimes too aggressive <insert Rocky Alford horror picture show here>.   You can never have too many corners and Falcons certainly need more - especially if Trufant is traded or released before 2020 season starts.

PROS: Everything you could want in a cornerback prospect. Long, strong, physical, and obsessed with the football. Highly competitive through the contact window, through vertical stems downfield, and when the ball arrives. Makes PBU and INT plays on the football that other corners fail to make given competitiveness and length profile. Effective at squeezing receivers off the red line and working with sideline and with safeties to collapse receiver space and discouraging quarterback throws. Nobody gave JJ Arcega-Whiteside issues like he did given his physical profile. Quick in transition and when closing from off coverage as well. Flexible and silky in transition, surprising for a player with his stride length. 

CONS: Needs a bit of a bridle in terms of his aggressive play style and ball-hunting mentality. Willing to drop coverage responsibilities in zone and jump breaks in man when he thinks he has a bead on the play and can get exposed by double-moves and pumps fakes. Has some false step and grabby issues but nothing that will discourage NFL teams from selecting and developing him.

3rd Round:

"With the 65th pick in the NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select... LORENZO NEAL, Defensive Tackle - Purdue"

6'3", 325lbs

Image result for lorenzo neal purdue

g-dawg take:   here is another immovable object that can blunt the opponent's run game.   Neal is also coming off an ACL which depresses his draft stock as he probably could have gone a round earlier had he been healthy this year.    Adding Neal and Chase Young to the Falcons offensive line while hopefully retaining Tyler Davison  and to go along w/ Grady Jarrett goes a long way towards changing the physicality of the Falcons defense.   With all these monsters eating up front, the speedy playmaking duo of Deion Jones and Dylan Moses will be unleashed on the NFL.

4th Round: 

"With the 103rd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select....

JAKE HANSON, Center - Oregon"

6'5", 307lbs

Image result for jake hanson oregon

PROS: Hand placement and technique are biggest calling card. Grip strength also impressively strong. Keeps elbows tucked inside and regularly wins chest plate off the snap, a feat more impressive when considering that he is responsible for snapping the football. Understands angles of OL on zone flow and does well to locate playside hand underneath defender's armpit to establish leverage and running lanes. Has shown the ability to break down defenders hands on pass rush reps and reset their rush plans by resetting hands--an elite trait.

Targets decently well in space despite slow feet given good understanding of angles. Can win stalemates given excellent grip strength. Generally keys on stunts and blitzes well. Builds a good base and plays thick, with a boxy frame and good length. Has displacement level power in the first and second level, despite being a bit stiff in the hips. Shotgun snap location rarely a problem.

CONS: Heavy-footed and a bit of a lumberer. Feet present the biggest issue when they die halfway into a rep, especially on pass protection reps, on which he can get push-pulled or ole'd. Can be baited into over-aggressive sets in pass protection, though aggressive style of play suits strength/weakness profile. Quick slants into A-gap can also hurt him (Washington State was a problem). Shouldn't be asked to execute long reaches on wide zone concepts, though has the headiness to recognize when he's beat to the landmark and how to adjust.

5th Round:

Ben Cleveland, OG/OT - Georgia (6'6", 335lbs)

Related image

Image result for ben cleveland uga

g-dawg take:    This guy is an absolute beast and mauler.    335lb men aren't supposed to have a stomach that flat.    This is the type of guy you want in an NFL huddle and lockerroom - he's mean, he's nasty and he will flat fight you at the line of scrimmage.    Georgia has so much depth on the Offensive Line that Cleveland rotates in and out and could get lost in the shuffle.   Perhaps not an elite pass protector which would cause him to fall in this range - but he is plenty good enough in protection to play guard.   Has some versatility and could play swing tackle as well.  This is the 5th round so he likely would develop as a backup for 2-3yrs and be upgrade over the putrid Wes Schweitzer.

5th - 7th rounds

I will pass for now on making these picks for now.   Other areas that should be addressed are SAFETY, RUNNING BACK and TIGHT END.  Could stand to draft another LINEBACKER as well.

Wow man your mock looks a lot like mine, only I would take Johnson in the 2nd because he won’t last through the round.  He’s got a little *throw up* Marcus Williams in him.

I am absolutely in love with Lorenzo Neal.  He hasn’t played this year though.  But in my “scouting notes” I put “MANINMAL” next to his name.

nice job 

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Instead of Moses at 35 I would draft (C) Creed Humphrey but other than that I like it.

Can you name a Linebacker you want on 2020 Falcons team other than Deion Jones?   Do you think Foye Olokun and Jermaine Grace are good enough to be NFL starters?

I see a bigger need for an impact player at LB than C right now - if we let Alex Mack go or trade him, then I could reconsider but you have option of turning Lindstrom into a Center.

Love your work but I need to see who and what transpires off the field before salivating about what we put on the field.

With the pass rushing class looking putrid after Young it feels like an all or nothing pick.

Will have to dig deeper.If For some reason we don’t get Young we may need to find another guy inside to help Jarrett.

PS you’ve probably pissed off KoG because not any sign of a safety in sight.

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Love the Falcons selections. But I will say if Herbert isn't the first QB off the board that team will regret it 

Frankly, I have no vested interest in who goes 1, 2, or 3 - if you want to say Herbert is #1 - fine w/ me.  Luckily I believe all three go high.  I wasn't even sure that Joe Burrow was a Day 2 draft pick based off last year - but he looks for real now - amazing.    Is it smoke and mirrors or real deal?  I know NFL teams can be wary of one year wonders at QB.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Love your work but I need to see who and what transpires off the field before salivating about what we put on the field.

With the pass rushing class looking putrid after Young it feels like an all or nothing pick.

Will have to dig deeper.If For some reason we don’t get Young we may need to find another guy inside to help Jarrett.

yeah, if Chase Young isn't available then definitely looking at another position.

4 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

I would like to trade those 2 second round picks and move up for Swift. 

I love SWIFT but I wouldn't do it.    You add the RB at the end of a loaded team because they have the shortest shelf life.   We need another two years of good drafts before going all in on a RB, IMHO.

Swift is a freaking beast though.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, if Chase Young isn't available then definitely looking at another position.

Inside is where I’d go or look for the best ball hawking DB.

Jarrett can’t do it by himself.

They have to persist with Takk and I’d also have a look at bring Means back dependent on physical condition the guy also plays the run well.

So at this point in time my end rotation would be Takk Means Cominsky DT/DE and maybe a cheap vet if we didn’t get Young.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Can you name a Linebacker you want on 2020 Falcons team other than Deion Jones?   Do you think Foye Olokun and Jermaine Grace are good enough to be NFL starters?

I see a bigger need for an impact player at LB than C right now - if we let Alex Mack go or trade him, then I could reconsider but you have option of turning Lindstrom into a Center.

The interior of the OL is just as important (Ryan sweet spot) and yes I rather have a stud like Creed Humphrey on board even if Mack is here his last year of his contract.