The Purge - Atlanta Falcons

D.B.N.

As well all know - this season is a complete disaster so far. We know changes are coming - but will they be enough? We shall find out. However, in order to see tangible change, real change, we must do more than simply fire our head coach. Simply firing DQ will not solve this franchise's problems... no we need to purge the scum that is filling out Front Office and that starts at the top. Here are my candidates for the Purge, from the Top-Down...

1. Rich McKay - must be fired, he has brought all personnel scouts etc from Tampon Bay. Any reason why DQ didn't bring any scouts from Seattle? When Pioli was here, why were there no personnel brought w/ him from KC? Answer is McKay - he has a past w/ Tampon Bay and brought all his buddies over, handcuffing this team
  2. Thomas Dimitrioff - This one is a no-brainier. TD has consistently failed to build our LOS over his 11 year - say it again - 11 YEAR - tenure with the Falcons. The one year we focused on the OL, We basically just threw **** at the wall in hopes that something will stick. Terrible strategy. For all of his "great" picks, there is one if not more equally bad, head-scratching, "WTF", "What is a (insert player name here)?" picks.  Bye
  3. Dan Quinn - took over DC and the defense still sucks. Coddles under-performers (ex. Beasley) causing a locker-room issue since other players see this and contempt builds. Coach Catchphrase has lost this team and is a dead-man walking at this point.
  4. DK - lazy hire. His four-verts scheme is outdated and requires a QB with a cannon - which is not Matt. Matt had a saying in this hire too which makes it even worse.
  5. Jesse Ackerman - S&C coach - we need to purge him as well because this team is weak asf. 

In short, we need a complete cleanse of our current staff, from McKay down to each and every scout. The fact we let LaFluer walk is asinine as well. I'm still salty about that one. We are filled with a bunch of lazy-under-performers and this is a culture issue. Arthur Blank can't fire himself, but if we could I would say fire him too. He values flash over function and it is clear his fingerprints are all over this team. He has been too sackless (for a lack of better term) to cut ties with his buddy TD and McKay.  This off-season - if TD is retained it will be glaringly obvious AB is equally part of the problem. Hopefully those empty seats in that shiny new hood ornament stadium will catch his attention. Otherwise, this franchise will be searching for a new HC in 3-4 years. Welcome to the Purge. 

Koetter doesn't run a "4 verts" scheme, and in any event, a vertical offensive scheme does not require a QB with a cannon arm.

I'm not defending Koetter.  I certainly think he could do a better job.  But we ought to be accurate about how we assess why, and if, he ought to be gone.

For what it's worth, I assume he will be if Quinn is fired, which I also expect to happen.

Actually, it's more accurate to say "4 verts isn't a scheme at all."

Koetter prefers to run a Coryell scheme with a lot of Ehrardt-Perkins terminology and some E-P concepts.  he's being required to run a WCO here, mixing in some of his vertical concepts and changing the way we operate in the run game.  4 verticals is a passing concept (not a scheme) that literally every OC in the league uses, including Kyle Shanahan and Sean Payton and other teams that nobody would say have "outdated" offenses.

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Actually, it's more accurate to say "4 verts isn't a scheme at all."

Koetter prefers to run a Coryell scheme with a lot of Ehrardt-Perkins terminology and some E-P concepts.  he's being required to run a WCO here, mixing in some of his vertical concepts and changing the way we operate in the run game.  4 verticals is a passing concept (not a scheme) that literally every OC in the league uses, including Kyle Shanahan and Sean Payton and other teams that nobody would say have "outdated" offenses.

I was about to say the Air Coryell thing. 4 verts is a concept, not a scheme - that said, people get stuck on that 4 verts video from when he first came to the Falcons.

I don't think we will ever do enough changes to bring a SB title in. As always our team will do just enough to have a little success in order to give fans a little hope only to fold like lawn chairs in the spotlight.

You can guarantee whatever path will be the most disappointing to fans is the path this team will take.