The Consolidated Vic Beasley Thread

SoldMySoul

9 minutes ago, rings639 said:

People said it was the future of the QB position three decades ago with Cunningham, then two decades ago when Vick was drafted, yet here we are.

The rate at which a QB gets hurt in the pocket vs outside of pocket is night and day.

I don't totally disagree but there is one thing to consider -- the rules.  The NFL has made it so you really can't even touch QBs.  That is going to make it more possible to have running QBs because they can just slide at any time and collect a 15 yard penalty.

It's same reason you have guys like Tyreek Hill running around at WR when 15 years ago he'd have been permanently planted in a hospital.

7 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I don't totally disagree but there is one thing to consider -- the rules.  The NFL has made it so you really can't even touch QBs.  That is going to make it more possible to have running QBs because they can just slide at any time and collect a 15 yard penalty.

It's same reason you have guys like Tyreek Hill running around at WR when 15 years ago he'd have been permanently planted in a hospital.

Once they are past the line of scrimmage they are considered a runner and lose that protection.  Some QBs, like Wilson, are very good at not taking unnecessary hits.  Most don’t.  Wentz and Cam are in a constant state of being hurt from taking so many hits, Garoppolo tore jus ACL without contact trying to juke back in bounds while scrambling, Rodgers broke his collar bone a couple years ago outside the pocket getting hit.  I’ll take a pocket qb who can move around in the pocket well over a mobile qb any day.

23 minutes ago, athell said:

Is Schultz pretty informed?  I have seen some of his other stuff and he has refrained from commenting citing he only had feelings and no real information to come forward with an article so this seems...odd...

It does seem odd because if you look at the way it breaks down, football isn’t really the sport where agents wield incredible amounts of power and it isn’t basketball (yet) where players can dictate to the organization.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

He is DLed with better writing skills, a big ego and very opinionated dude. I can easily discredit the players deals he mentioned. 

Ahhhh ok.  I had assumed since he was writing for a sub service he would be credible.  That's what I get for assuming!

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Or perhaps cheer leading for DQ is subtle in that piece. Make no mistake Vic was DQ’s decision and he bet his job.

I thought of this too.  This is nothing but someone’s opinion.  Regardless of how one feels about TD or DQ, one shouldn’t speculate over people’s intentions or reasoning unless they have first hand knowledge of said reasons from that person himself.  But we both know that many so called journalists or media pundits are not held accountable for acting irresponsibly. 

I guess his way around it is by saying “at least in part”.  Yeah sure...  prove it.

2 hours ago, Sipifalcon said:

This team makes me sick... could have traded him last yr for a 3rd or 4th I'm sure... Man we need changes on this team from top to bottom BIG TIME... 

Yep. The Beasley boondoggle is going to be one of the bigger nails in the TD-Quinn coffin when they bite the dust. And they will deserve it.

For what it's worth, the piece in the Athletic put it in very strong terms.  This is a direct quote:

"The decision to bring back Beasley on a $12.81 million option was done partly for business reasons:  The Falcons were concerned cutting Beasley loose would upset CAA, which also represents Jones and Jarrett, both of whom were entering offseason negotiation."

This doesn't sound like speculation.  So while I share the skepticism about why anyone would think this is a good idea to pander to an agency and pay a non-producer $13 million to suck, I also have a healthy lack of skepticism over whether our FO is exactly the kind of FO that would do such a thing.  It sounds exactly like something Arthur "Falcon for Life (TM)" Blank would insist on.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

For what it's worth, the piece in the Athletic put it in very strong terms.  This is a direct quote:

"The decision to bring back Beasley on a $12.81 million option was done partly for business reasons:  The Falcons were concerned cutting Beasley loose would upset CAA, which also represents Jones and Jarrett, both of whom were entering offseason negotiation."

This doesn't sound like speculation.  So while I share the skepticism about why anyone would think this is a good idea to pander to an agency and pay a non-producer $13 million to suck, I also have a healthy lack of skepticism over whether our FO is exactly the kind of FO that would do such a thing.  It sounds exactly like something Arthur "Falcon for Life (TM)" Blank would insist on.

Direct quote from whom? 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Direct quote from whom? 

Sorry -- I didn't mean that to be as unclear as it was.  It is a quote from the article, written by Jeff Schultz.  It is not a direct quote from anyone in the organization.

My point is, it sounds well sourced.  So either Schultz is a dirtbag rumor-mongerer, or there is at least some basis to believe it is true.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Sorry -- I didn't mean that to be as unclear as it was.  It is a quote from the article, written by Jeff Schultz.  It is not a direct quote from anyone in the organization.

My point is, it sounds well sourced.  So either Schultz is a dirtbag rumor-mongerer, or there is at least some basis to believe it is true.

That’s border line slander and opinion piece with no sources and evidence. So is Schultz saying Ryan, Grady and Julio were over paid than market value?

Just now, falcons007 said:

That’s border line slander and opinion piece with no sources and evidence. So is Schultz saying Ryan, Grady and Julio were over paid than market value?

Schultz isn't really known for slander.  It's not slander, borderline or otherwise, if it's true.

Reputable journalists usually corroborate stories with at least 2 sources.  Schultz stated this as a fact, not as speculation.  I'm not aware of anyone ever saying he's some kind of yellow journalist.  

You can believe what you want to believe.  But I'm inclined to think there's something to it if he's reporting it as fact.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Schultz isn't really known for slander.  It's not slander, borderline or otherwise, if it's true.

Reputable journalists usually corroborate stories with at least 2 sources.  Schultz stated this as a fact, not as speculation.  I'm not aware of anyone ever saying he's some kind of yellow journalist.  

You can believe what you want to believe.  But I'm inclined to think there's something to it if he's reporting it as fact.

I will believe the proof or anything remotely which proves Ryan, Julio and Grady were over paid because of favors to CAA. 

Looks like TD and DQ war is spilling out to media. I remember posting an AB quote about how he was gonna evaluate TD and DQ differently in 2019. What he said in feb 2019 might be playing out.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I will believe the proof or anything remotely which proves Ryan, Julio and Grady were over paid because of favors to CAA. 

Looks like TD and DQ war is spilling out to media. I remember posting an AB quote about how he was gonna evaluate TD and DQ differently in 2019. What he said in feb 2019 might be playing out.

That's fair -- I'm not saying the sources are accurate necessarily.  Certainly waiting to see what shakes out is a fair approach.

All I'm saying is someone inside the organization said it.  Probably at least 2 people.  And Schultz reported it as if he believes it to be true, not as if it were some disputed rumor.  Those are important pieces of information to consider.

20 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I thought of this too.  This is nothing but someone’s opinion.  Regardless of how one feels about TD or DQ, one shouldn’t speculate over people’s intentions or reasoning unless they have first hand knowledge of said reasons from that person himself.  But we both know that many so called journalists or media pundits are not held accountable for acting irresponsibly. 

I guess his way around it is by saying “at least in part”.  Yeah sure...  prove it.

Media has lost all the credibility. This may be beginning of DQ and TD using the surrogates in media to attack each other. Bring on the popcorn. In the end, hope both destroy each and other AB fires them.

I will say, I don't think it follows that we'd overpay Ryan, Julio and Grady as a favor to CAA.  If anything, taking on Beasley would be intended as a move to curry favor with CAA, not to do them favors.  Sort of "we took care of your dude, now be fair with us."

I don't think anyone is saying TD is out there enriching agents at the expense of the team.  The idea was we had these 2 players -- Debo and Grady -- looking at new contracts at the same time a decision on Beasley was being made, and the allegation is someone in the organization was dumb enough to think cutting Beasley would hamper our ability to sign Debo and Grady.