The Consolidated Vic Beasley Thread

SoldMySoul

This is how much power these agents have.

I’m pretty sure that’s why these players sign with guys like Congdon.They know this cats track record.

I’m pretty sure we won’t be the first or last team he’s leveraged to get himself and his clients top $$$$$$$$.

See it in sport all the time these agents hold alot of power.

Ehhh. I think this is a bit of a reach. Not saying that it isn’t possible. I would expect that every agency would want  each of their clients to go above market value for their contracts, they get paid more if they do. Not to mention they would have made more money if Beasley was released and signed somewhere else. 

Deja Vu. We had this discussion last night, lol. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the case, btw, but I'm more inclined to believe that emotions about players  is the primary motivator among this staff and front office. When is the last time we saw them make a cold hearted business decision on a player when his contract came due? It's rare for anyone they've drafted. 

I ain't saying it's not true but honestly this is kind of a drive-by story.  I am not sure why CAA would care about Beasley unless Grady (or others) said they would not sign unless the team carried Vic (I doubt that is true).  Why would CAA stake their own rep on a troubled player?  Not like Beasley had much of a chance to stay with the Falcons whether he did well or like he is.  CAA didn't negotiate his option did they? With all the big contracts they have why would a firm as big as CAA stick their necks out for Beasley who hasn't been worth $10M+ since 2016. 

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Ehhh. I think this is a bit of a reach. Not saying that it isn’t possible. I would expect that every agency would want  each of their clients to go above market value for their contracts, they get paid more if they do. Not to mention they would have made more money if Beasley was released and signed somewhere else. 

Of course, but I think the real terrible part of this (again if true) is prioritizing a $13m cap hit on a player they knew was probably not going to produce and not upsetting the apple cart over the team needs and best interests.

16 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

The fact we could get a third last year and none this year shows me how dumb NFL front offices are, and I’m not talking about just ours 

Beasley’s shown who he is since 2016, I remember trying to tell people lmao

You did, and you were pretty much a lone wolf saying that, and got a ton of backlash....including from me.

Bottom line, you were spot on correct. My humble apologies for saying you were a looney toon. 

7 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I ain't saying it's not true but honestly this is kind of a drive-by story.  I am not sure why CAA would care about Beasley unless Grady (or others) said they would not sign unless the team carried Vic (I doubt that is true).  Why would CAA stake their own rep on a troubled player?  Not like Beasley had much of a chance to stay with the Falcons whether he did well or like he is.  CAA didn't negotiate his option did they? With all the big contracts they have why would a firm as big as CAA stick their necks out for Beasley who hasn't been worth $10M+ since 2016. 

What rep would they be staking?  As an agency their goal is to get their players paid...which...if they applied pressure to the front office to exercise that 5th year option...they accomplished.  After that, it's on the player/team.

Granted, there is no evidence backing this claim so it very well could just be a puff piece...but it would make sense if you connect the dots.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Of course, but I think the real terrible part of this (again if true) is prioritizing a $13m cap hit on a player they knew was probably not going to produce and not upsetting the apple cart over the team needs and best interests.

I can agree with that. The allocation of money seems to be the main issue here. I’ve been a supporter of Beasley since he was drafted. He had one amazing season and nothing even remotely near serviceable the rest of his career. I partially chalked this up to him being a rookie and not having a stable defensive coordinator. It was my hope that Quinn would be able to “fix” his issues but it seems like Beasley just isn’t that talented.

20 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is how much power these agents have.

I’m pretty sure that’s why these players sign with guys like Congdon.They know this cats track record.

I’m pretty sure we won’t be the first or last team he’s leveraged to get himself and his clients top $$$$$$$$.

See it in sport all the time these agents hold alot of power.

This one might not be as bad as it's getting portrayed, but there is definitely some level of truth here (speaking from experience).

Some of you who've known me for a while are aware that I spent about two decades running music venues. One of the bigger booking agencies we'd deal with regularly was CAA. Assuring the venue would get first dibs on placing offers to book talent on their roster meant forging strong relationships with those booking agents at those larger agencies. Very often, they'd have a band that wasn't very well known yet & wouldn't draw a ton of people to their shows, but the agent needed to get them booked. As a favor to the agents & in order to get first dibs on offers for the more premium talent on their roster, you'd have to book these lesser bands, giving them a guarantee you know they wouldn't cover from ticket sales, thus knowingly losing a bit of money in the process. It's absolutely a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" business model.

Just now, athell said:

What rep would they be staking?  As an agency their goal is to get their players paid...which...if they applied pressure to the front office to exercise that 5th year option...they accomplished.

Granted, there is no evidence backing this claim so it very well could just be a puff piece...but it would make sense if you connect the dots.

There's a give and take in any relationship.  If you buy Falcons gear from me, that relationship only works if you feel like you are getting a good deal and I can make my money.  You might like me enough to maybe pay me a little more if I am giving you good service and whatnot but you ain't paying $500 for a hoodie that looks like it cost $50 no matter how much gear you get from me.

5 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

How is it TDs fault they all have the same agent. DQ was the one who wanted to keep Beasley. Claimed he could "fix" him, has nothing to do with who represents the players. CAA had around 12-13 players go in the first round alone in last year's draft, it's the #1 sports agency in the world.

TD has plenty of faults that are on record during his 12 yr era and AB is finally done with him. TROFFED!!!!!!

Yes DQ wanted to keep him and that's another reason for him to get his pink slip

AB needs top stop meddling in the GM/HC biz stating so and so will be Falcons for life....

The whole thing is a cluster Fug and needs to be blown up from top to bottom

1 minute ago, Monolith2001 said:

There's a give and take in any relationship.  If you buy Falcons gear from me, that relationship only works if you feel like you are getting a good deal and I can make my money.  You might like me enough to maybe pay me a little more if I am giving you good service and whatnot but you ain't paying $500 for a hoodie that looks like it cost $50 no matter how much gear you get from me.

If I buy Falcons gear from you for 3 times market value while your product has holes and will shrink after one washing though...

28 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

THIS.... THIS 1000%

People love to say I think I know everything because they can’t handle a simple disagreement. Truth is you don’t have to know anything when the truth presents itself every week. People can make every excuse in the world for him and it won’t take away the fact that he’s a pure one hit wonder. Even a dummy like me that can’t separate and 1 point stance from a 3 point stance saw that he wasn’t and isn’t that good. 

If true then we should have traded him last year for that 3rd or 4th and then paying him to curry favor with that agency. I mean if that is really why, then that is what should have been done.

My guess is DQ really thought he could turn Vic around and any good will with the agency was just a fortunate by-product.

It also sounds like this is revisionist history to make themselves look less foolish for their decision. Funny we never Heard this until now.

Edited by TheUsualStuff

4 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

TD has plenty of faults that are on record during his 12 yr era and AB is finally done with him. TROFFED!!!!!!

Yes DQ wanted to keep him and that's another reason for him to get his pink slip

AB needs top stop meddling in the GM/HC biz stating so and so will be Falcons for life....

The whole thing is a cluster Fug and needs to be blown up from top to bottom

What does that have to do with the OP, Vic was DQ's choice not TD's. TD just handles contract nothing else