DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

I think I might understand wth went wrong

70 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Oh, another example -- we're still trying to run Shanny's offense, but he's been gone for 2+ years and his replacements don't know his system.

I know it set records in 2016, and we have many of the same players -- but it just won't work without Shanny or one of his disciples. It might not work with his disciples either.

So the opportunity for us to run that same offense is gone, evaporated. It may feel like it is "so close," but really, it is gone. You have to stop living in the past and face it.

The offense is struggling because of the offensive line. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I meant the Coaches and FO and owner. You are right about Fans though.

Unfortunately this wouldn’t be the first time with TD

I don’t really agree.

In this league I think you have keep consolidating. Whilst you can’t be complacent and always have to look to improve and move on from players before they decline significantly, it’s not at all unreasonable to assume that a young player in his mid 20’s who is coming off a pro-bowl season, is likely to continue to play at a high level for a number of years (injuries permitting).

The players who we gave big contract to, had all player at a very high level and - with the exception of Mack -  they were young players who should have had several prime years ahead of them. That is what is so disappointing and confusing about the current mess. It’s not as if we’ve relied on a load of players in their 30’s who were inevitably going to decline due to age - and failed when they failed to play at the same level they were  in their prime seasons 3-5 years earlier

Our defence in 2016 wasn’t exactly elite, but with 6 or 7 first and second year players it showed flashes of potential and performed at a high level at the back end of the season and playoffs. Three years on, those young players should all have developed significantly, they should know Quinn’s scheme inside out, and should now be in their prime years. Instead, they have declined and look absolutely horrendous. That”s primarily a coaching issue.

If the players have become lazy after being paid, you have to question how Quinn and his staff haven’t foreseen that. Quinn has worked hand on with the players for  years, and should know all about their character, attitude, work ethic, strengths and weakness.

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

But DQ got all the credit for personnel decisions here on TATF. TD was always a bum, but Falcons did well because of DQ. I want both of them gone..

I have no problem firing DQ...but the snakes head should have been cut off when Smith was fired. No one to blame but TD....Smith now Quinn....who’s left? TD and MR2.... I’m keeping Matt

13 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Oh, another example -- we're still trying to run Shanny's offense, but he's been gone for 2+ years and his replacements don't know his system.

I know it set records in 2016, and we have many of the same players -- but it just won't work without Shanny or one of his disciples. It might not work with his disciples either.

So the opportunity for us to run that same offense is gone, evaporated. It may feel like it is "so close," but really, it is gone. You have to stop living in the past and face it.

in hindsight this one of the biggest red flags for Quinn. If you wanted to keep running Shanahans system maybe you should have kept an assistant that ******* worked with the man? We keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole because 'it worked once'. You need to evolve from year to year to keep opponents guessing.

54 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

I don’t really agree.

In this league I think you have keep consolidating... it’s not at all unreasonable to assume that a young player in his mid 20’s who is coming off a pro-bowl season, is likely to continue to play at a high level for a number of years (injuries permitting).

That’s true. I agree with that.

But there are other forms of decay. If the message gets stale, you might have to drop a great player and go another direction.

i don’t object to paying players who’ve earned it. Mainly what I’m saying is you have to re-prove everything in training camp. 

There could be a million reasons things could decay, so you gotta find out and make adjustments.

Instead, we got into the season, thinking we’d be contenders, and only then found out how screwed we are.

ukfalc likes this

12 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I think you're overlooking one of the key components to all of this, but I definitely agree with a lot of what you're saying. 

The one thing I really think killed Quinn this year was taking over the defense.  He has been so distracted trying to fix the dumpster fire of a defense (which your hypothesis explains pretty well) that he has left the team leaderless.  He essentially removed himself from being head coach, leaving the team a headless corpse of itself with independent parts flailing around with no brain in control of the the whole body.

It explains why everything is so completely disjointed this season.  There is no cohesion.  No unified vision.  And it really feels like there is no accountability either. 

I get the idea of brotherhood and accountability to each other... but there still needs to be a leader who ultimately everyone is accountable to as well.  And right now, this team has none... and it shows.

Sounds like a character from the walking dead!

13 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

What went wrong is what went wrong with Smitty, same exact to the T process. Anyone remember the year before Smitty was fired they hired a coach to help him manage the clock, same thing with Quinn. Anyone remember when Smitty was hired he said he wanted to build a run first team the resembeled the Baltimore Ravens, yet the year he was fired Koetter was running the offense and it was a pass first offense. In come Quinn a younger d-line coach with a defensive back ground just like Smitty, repeat same process. Smitty came in with no coaching staff, Quinn came in with no coaching staff. McKay is hiring people around these jr. level coaches and McKay and all his OLD Tampa Bay cronnies need to be kicked out. If Blank would fire McKay, Ruston Webster, Steve Sabo, Joel Collier, TD, and Phil Emry and hire Ed Dodds and let hm rebuild the coaching staff and scouting department, I guarantee you we will be in the Super Bowl in three years. McKay hired Koetter, McKay hired TD, McKay hired Webster, McKay brought in Phil Emry, the whole Falcons front office oozes of OLD former fired GMs and light weight scouts. We need new direction up top. Blank needs to do what a owner needs to do and put friendship aside. What's going to happen is the Falcons are going to fire Quinn, fire TD, go hire some light weight GM that McKay can control and then they will go hire some light weight coach that doesn't come in with his own people and repeat the process and we as fans will be going thru all of this again in four or five years. 

McKay decay. This rings true Op

Refried Beans likes this

This is a combination of poor coaching, bad drafting, players not developing, players regressing, inconsistent play and high staff turnover.  Quinn is to blame and he'll lose his job over it. However, the biggest issue in our building is Thomas Dimitroff.  This team is top heavy with no depth, this has been an issue long before got DQ here. 

FalconMama Who hired TD? McKay. And who will be in charge of hiring his replacement? McKay. No thanks. We need fresh blood all the way up top and throughout. Fire McKay, TD, Sabo, Collier, Emry, and Webster, and hire a REAL NFL exec Ed Dodds from Indy. Blank needs to do it right this time. Complete front office cleanse. 

I pretty much agree with OP.  Any HC has to have a goal.....THE Superbowl>>>>of course.....but reality requires the goal to be achievable.  With our players turning into less than high caliber players there is no way we can win.  You can plan a system to give what you think is a predictable outcome, just to find the other team knows what you are going to do and how to stop it.  Which matchup do you like?  Anyone we play against knows our weaknesses on offense and defense.  We don't scare any team in the NFL.  They all hope to play us and get another W in the column.