Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
32wood84white

Crazy thought, Dan Quinn isn’t fired.

89 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Kyle Shanahan had the 7th highest scoring offense of all-time. Matt Ryan was an MVP.

What has DQ ever done that was historic? He's never even had a defense than was better than 20th ranked in DVOA. Our defenses have sucked every year, and he's the "defensive guru".

Get this bald-headed, 25pt lead blowing, mediocre talent evaluating *** out of here. He's riding off past success and has underperformed with highly talented rosters since 2017.

What has a lot of coaches ever done that’s historic? Not many or those things wouldn’t be historic. While not considered historic, getting 7 or more 1st and 2nd year players on defense to a super bowl is pretty impressive. Did it with ok epaulet starting at CB that’s not even in the league anymore.

With all the money tied up in the offense, what has DQ been able to do other than add from the scrap pile during free agency and hope his draft picks on D turn out to be all pros?

The only way Quinn could keep his job at this point is to go 8-8 and Blank would then have to fire McKay, TD, Steve Sabo, Rustin Webster, Joel Collier, and Phil Emry and hire Ed Dodds from Indy. Ed Dodds built the original Legion of Boom and Blank could sell it to the Atlanta fans that he realizes our issues are more personell related than coaching (which is true). And before firing Quinn he wants to change direction in his FRONT OFFICE. Because in reality D Jones and Grady Jarrett and Grace are the only talented defensive players we have and on offense Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gage, and Hooper are the only talented players we have all the rest of our roster would not even be starters on other NFL rosters.

7 hours ago, falconticket said:

Seriously? Did Mike ever do this bad and be so dumb in all aspects of the game? Were they ever 1-6? Can't remember. .Bring him back as far as I care. 

That's my point. Record be ****, if your owner wants you gone, you're likely gone. I don't know if Blank wants Quinn gone yet. He had concerns about Smitty though before his firing. 

Quinn got his mulligan(and put his own neck out) when he fired the whole staff as scapegoats and said he would fix the D by running it himself. Like I said, he gone.

Flying Falcon and Club212 like this

14 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Lets just glance the thought over that Dan Quinn does not get fired. Arthur Blank decides he’s going to stick through the tough times on the condition that Dan Quinn brings in an outside Defensive Coordinator with a different scheme.

Truthfully, that’s the only way I see that he stays. Who are those candidates? I’ll be honest I have no clue when it comes to outside of the Falcons, I have a hard enough time trying to figure them out to keep up with anyone else.

Who are those possible candidates?

I can see the Falcons doing something like that because it soo Atlanta Falcon like...

13 hours ago, JDaveG said:

It’s not such a crazy thought. 

I expect Quinn to be fired. But this is the 2nd coach to deal with dysfunction in personnel. There is one guy responsible for that. Quinn reports to Blank. If he’s been saying “I disagree with the direction our personnel folks are taking,” I could see Blank keeping him and firing TD. I don’t expect it, but it wouldn’t surprise me. 

I agree with this scenario.  TD can find offensive skill players with high accuracy.  The defensive finds are there but there are far too many misses. Both could stay if they move TD to a vice president of something and hire a hot guy for GM and find a pass rush. They both just got contract extensions. But at this point, who is the great guy out to replace Dan Quinn? I just don't see anyone

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Quinn, just say no. 

Think about this, right now Jason Garrett is a better HC and that ain't saying much.

Jerry is as loyal with Jay Jay is Arthur is with Danny, it appears. I wonder what would have happened to the Falcons if Quinn would have been canned after the debacle of a super bowl???

Flying Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Quinn, just say no. 

Think about this, right now Jason Garrett is a better HC and that ain't saying much.

Right now doesn’t mean much. Right now the Falcons are 1-6. Right now three years ago we were a few months away from heading to the Super Bowl and everyone felt this team would be stacked for years to come.

NFL changes too much. Unless your Bill B or Sean Payton with all time great QBs, what teams are consistently good year in and year out? Without Drew Brees even Sean Payton would have had even worse records the years he went 8-8. 

3 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

Jerry is as loyal with Jay Jay is Arthur is with Danny, it appears. I wonder what would have happened to the Falcons if Quinn would have been canned after the debacle of a super bowl???

He should've been after that debacle, but no owner would've done that after a SB appearance.

SoldMySoul and Flying Falcon like this

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

He should've been after that debacle, but no owner would've done that after a SB appearance.

Nope. Was me thinking aloud and being a tough case. Every owner, like Blank, would have given another shot. Just the manner Of the defeat will always haunt.

6 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

Right now doesn’t mean much. Right now the Falcons are 1-6. Right now three years ago we were a few months away from heading to the Super Bowl and everyone felt this team would be stacked for years to come.

NFL changes too much. Unless your Bill B or Sean Payton with all time great QBs, what teams are consistently good year in and year out? Without Drew Brees even Sean Payton would have had even worse records the years he went 8-8. 

Yup, you need a franchise QB. Most of them usually remain steady if their defense remains competitive. Unfortunately, our defense hasn't kept up with Ice.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

You don’t believe this team needs a “new voice”? Seriously Geaux? 

That's not what I was trying to say. I was speaking in general about the concept of "needing a new voice" after a bad season.

Could this team use a "new voice"? I think it would be more beneficial after Matt & Julio are gone or 2022 at the earliest since we kinda start getting our heads above water on their contracts. Otherwise, we're wasting a few years of a new regime, and we're going to be right back in this same situation again shortly.

Vandy likes this

23 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

I agree with this scenario.  TD can find offensive skill players with high accuracy.  The defensive finds are there but there are far too many misses. Both could stay if they move TD to a vice president of something and hire a hot guy for GM and find a pass rush. They both just got contract extensions. But at this point, who is the great guy out to replace Dan Quinn? I just don't see anyone

Oh, I can think of a bunch of people to replace him.  I'm just not sold on the idea that he's most of the problem.

We've seen this show before.  They ran Mike Smith out of town over it.  Now we're seeing it again.  You can only blame so many coaches before you have to look elsewhere.

Vandy and Geaux_Falcons like this

I get tired of the old TD can draft position players argument. Anyone can draft position players. We could hire a 16 year old with Madden experience to draft a WR, RB, or QB in the first round it actually take NFL KNOWLEDGE to be able to draft interior linemen. Something McKay, TD, Sabo, Collier, Emry, and Webster cant do. SO WHY ARE THEY ALL STILL HERE. Time for front office cleanse. 

JDave, how about we fire McKay, Sabo, Webster, Collier, and Emry. Move TD to Team President role and let him manage the cap and we hire Ed Dodds to be our GM and Director of scouting and let him decide on whether to keep Quinn or not? We can do this this week and get the ball rolling. 

3 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

JDave, how about we fire McKay, Sabo, Webster, Collier, and Emry. Move TD to Team President role and let him manage the cap and we hire Ed Dodds to be our GM and Director of scouting and let him decide on whether to keep Quinn or not? We can do this this week and get the ball rolling. 

Honestly, I want TD out of the building.  I really think regardless of what happens with the coach, they need to absolutely detonate the front office and start anew.

No matter what I want a up and coming guy with a different way of thinking to be our next DC. I always liked Quinn, but I just see how he turns things around here. I obviously is not the defense genius we all had hoped for when I came here. So now I prefer a new DC to come here with a new Offensive Minded Head Coach. 

Smith and Quinn both defensive guys, I want to see Matt Ryan with a Offensive Minded Head Coach next season. 

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly, I want TD out of the building.  I really think regardless of what happens with the coach, they need to absolutely detonate the front office and start anew.

I could really get behind this. I've been leaning towards this lately. I mean even with Smitty, you had a guy known for defense come in and couldn't build a stable defense. Another defense guy comes in and yet again,  not a stable defense is fielded. At some point coaching isn't always the problem and a new voice is just that. A new voice. 

Refried Beans and JDaveG like this

The defense is obviously abysmal and everyone sees that, but this offense is in regression as well.. DK has done nothing other than being highly predictable. The only positive I see with Sanu being gone is no more wildcat on 3rd and long..  

40 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I could really get behind this. I've been leaning towards this lately. I mean even with Smitty, you had a guy known for defense come in and couldn't build a stable defense. Another defense guy comes in and yet again,  not a stable defense is fielded. At some point coaching isn't always the problem and a new voice is just that. A new voice. 

The thing that gives me a little concern is this -- this team is still too talented to be 1-6.  We're not devoid of talent.  A team with a good QB has a head start on teams that don't have one.  We're losing to teams we ought to beat, and could beat.

But if Mr. Blank sees that there are personnel deficiencies on both lines of scrimmage, and that Quinn is doing the best he can to make something of that mess, and Quinn has been asking for it to be fixed and it isn't getting fixed, that sounds too familiar.  And it probably won't, but could, give Blank reason to keep Quinn around for a season or two to see if he can get better results with a fresh set of eyes on the personnel side of things.

Geaux_Falcons likes this

It’s 1966 all over again.  Time to rebuild from the ground up.  There are a few serviceable parts, but not many.  Decent talent in spots, but a large portion of that talent includes quitters.  They need to be  eliminated.  

If Blank is dumb enough to keep TD around this time (who is primarily responsible for getting us in the hot mess we’re in now), then Art needs to do as my nic implies...

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The thing that gives me a little concern is this -- this team is still too talented to be 1-6.  We're not devoid of talent.  A team with a good QB has a head start on teams that don't have one.  We're losing to teams we ought to beat, and could beat.

But if Mr. Blank sees that there are personnel deficiencies on both lines of scrimmage, and that Quinn is doing the best he can to make something of that mess, and Quinn has been asking for it to be fixed and it isn't getting fixed, that sounds too familiar.  And it probably won't, but could, give Blank reason to keep Quinn around for a season or two to see if he can get better results with a fresh set of eyes on the personnel side of things.

That's what I want see also. 2 different coaches. Same problem. Offense is typically doing what they should most games. This isn't like old Cleveland or the jets, or Miami where both sides are terrible. 

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

That's what I want see also. 2 different coaches. Same problem. Offense is typically doing what they should most games. This isn't like old Cleveland or the jets, or Miami where both sides are terrible. 

Offense was terrible this past Sunday, but have shown signs otherwise.  The o-line is still putrid though.  Good defenses are going to take advantage of that.