Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
32wood84white

Crazy thought, Dan Quinn isn’t fired.

89 posts in this topic

I was going to make a thread on this, but thought the backlash would be too much. Heads up, it's going to be a long post, and summarized the best I can.

My premise on this thought is based on a few things:

1.) Just looking at the record, if Arthur really wanted to get rid of DQ, wouldn't he have done so by now?! I mean a 1-6 start, but yet he still supports the guy, and willing to allow him to right the ship. That doesn't sound like someone ready to give up. With Smitty, we had heard a few concerns about him from Blank himself. With DQ to this point, he's been mostly supportive. Not only that, but why allow the GM and supposedly the guy over final say on roster moves continue to make moves without a vote of confidence moving forward? This brings me to what has happened over the years from just a production point of view on the field.

2.) Quinn still had a winning season, after Shanahan, with a new OC in place in 2017. The offense had its struggles of course, but it struggled in Kyle's first year too. Red zone was a major issue. The 2nd year under Sark in 2018, we improved a lot in the red zone, and the offense was top 10 in PPG and was a top 5ish offense, that included a 4.5 ypc rushing attack. Still had a few struggles, but we were in position to win games against the Eagles, Saints Cowboys, & Bengals. Which brings me to my next point regarding the defense. 

3.) In 2017, the defense actually carried us to our 10-6 record. They only allowed 2 teams to put up 25+ points on us(only 1 scored 30), which led to holding opposing teams to less than 20 ppg. This also includes the playoffs where we held the 1st & 3rd ranked offenses in ppg to 15 or less(Rams & Eagles). Mind you we held the Eagles to only 18 in week 1 of 2018 as well, and this team put 38 & 41 against some formidable defenses to win a superbowl. What happened after that game, was a plethora of injuries to key starters on defense, and from there, we lost a lot of that defense from 2017. We did see the defense pick up a little late in the season, but far from what it was showing before injuries.

4.) So to tie points 2 & 3 together, we seem to counteract both sides of the ball. When the defense was showing life in 2017, the offense was trying to adjust to a new coordinator and vic versa as the defense fell apart to injuries while the offense had started to click. It's as if we just couldn't get the two on the same page together for those 2 years. This ultimately led to the firing of both Offensive and defensive coordinators, which brings us to 2019.

5.) This year, after a another OC(although familiar to some)was brought in & Quinn took over the defense, we also made some personnel changes that was much needed before now. We added 2 new rookies on the line and Added some run stuffers up the middle. We're now 1-6 due in large part to defensive woes and some offensive struggles. Some of this can be be attributed to poor coaching, while some can be seen as a need for better personnel period. For instance, we have a 2nd year corner who looks completely lost and the other corner injured. Our SS & his backup are injured again. Edge rushers are very sub par. So on and so forth. Offense at least has put up points, although some games have been poor performance on that side.

You're probably wondering why the dragged out post. Well I say all of that to say, look at the way things have gone over the years. Our defense at one point looked like it could potentially turn a corner, but ran into injuries and eventually just complete regression occured. The offense has constantly been in disarray over the years due to new coordinators coming in and out. It usually ends up showing progression in year 2 though.

Could AB be looking at this and saying to himself that do we really need to go out and bring in a completely new staff? I mean there really hasn't been any continuity on either side of the ball from a coaching standpoint. Adding in the cap situation, makes it even more curious to think that maybe he's better off keeping things as it is, and shooting for adding whatever personnel we can to hopefully make the changes needed for the on the team to flourish like it did in 2016.

I'm not saying it will happen, but again, why keep Quinn & TD along this far after a horrendous start? Flame away!

falconsd56, JDaveG, dmite and 1 other like this

14 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I was going to make a thread on this, but thought the backlash would be too much. Heads up, it's going to be a long post, and summarized the best I can.

1.) Just looking at the record, if Arthur really wanted to get rid of DQ, wouldn't he have done so by now?! I mean a 1-6 start, but yet he still supports the guy, and willing to allow him to right the ship. That doesn't sound like someone ready to give up. With Smitty, we had heard a few concerns about him from Blank himself. With DQ to this point, he's been mostly supportive. Not only that, but why allow the GM and supposedly the guy over final say on roster moves continue to make moves without a vote of confidence moving forward? This brings me to what has happened over the years from just a production point of view on the field.

2.) Quinn still had a winning season, after Shanahan, with a new OC in place in 2017. The offense had its struggles of course, but it struggled in Kyle's first year too. Red zone was a major issue. The 2nd year under Sark in 2018, we improved a lot in the red zone, and the offense was top 10 in PPG and was a top 5ish offense, that included a 4.5 ypc rushing attack. Still had a few struggles, but we were in position to win games against the Eagles, Saints Cowboys, & Bengals. Which brings me to my next point regarding the defense. 

3.) In 2017, the defense actually carried us to our 10-6 record. They only allowed 2 teams to put up 25+ points on us(only 1 scored 30), which led to holding opposing teams to less than 20 ppg. This also includes the playoffs where we held the 1st & 3rd ranked offenses in ppg to 15 or less(Rams & Eagles). Mind you we held the Eagles to only 18 in week 1 of 2018 as well, and this team put 38 & 41 against some formidable defenses to win a superbowl. What happened after that game, was a plethora of injuries to key starters on defense, and from there, we lost a lot of that defense from 2017. We did see the defense pick up a little late in the season, but far from what it was showing before injuries.

4.) So to tie points 2 & 3 together, we seem to counteract both sides of the ball. When the defense was showing life in 2017, the offense was trying to adjust to a new coordinator and vic versa as the defense fell apart to injuries while the offense had started to click. It's as if we just couldn't get the two on the same page together for those 2 years. This ultimately led to the firing of both Offensive and defensive coordinators, which brings us to 2019.

5.) This year, after a another OC(although familiar to some)was brought in & Quinn took over the defense, we also made some personnel changes that was much needed before now. We added 2 new rookies on the line and Added some run stuffers up the middle. We're now 1-6 due in large part to defensive woes and some offensive struggles. Some of this can be be attributed to poor coaching, while some can be seen as a need for better personnel period. For instance, we have a 2nd year corner who looks completely lost and the other corner injured. Our SS & his backup are injured again. Edge rushers are very sub par. So on and so forth. Offense at least has put up points, although some games have been poor performance on that side.

You're probably wondering why the dragged out post. Well I say all of that to say, look at the way things have gone over the years. Our defense at one point looked like it could potentially turn a corner, but ran into injuries and eventually just complete regression occured. The offense has constantly been in disarray over the years due to new coordinators coming in and out. It usually ends up showing progression in year 2 though.

Could AB be looking at this and saying to himself that do we really need to go out and bring in a completely new staff? I mean there really hasn't been any continuity on either side of the ball from a coaching standpoint. Adding in the cap situation, makes it even more curious to think that maybe he's better off keeping things as it is, and shooting for adding whatever personnel we can to hopefully make the changes needed for the on the team to flourish like it did in 2016.

I'm not saying it will happen, but again, why keep Quinn & TD along this far after a horrendous start? Flame away!

Great post.

This is Quinns first truly bad year.

It is a really bad year but still the first really bad year.

Last year he has the injury hat to hang.....and that is valid.

I could absolutely see Blank giving Quinn one more year....who knows if it will happen but it is not as crazy of a thought when you take a step back.

The problem is that.....losing brings out the irrational and stupid in people.

21 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Attendance was better in 07 where there was zero hope.

That should tell you something.

I think that it has to do with cost.

It is pretty expensive to go to a Falcons game now when things are going well.

I think Blank will have to adjust the ticket strategy a bit.....regardless of who is the coach.

dmite likes this

I think the real reason is blank probably believed in the moves and personnel they had as much as Quinn and TD. So when AB was just as wrong as them it's hard to fire then.

15 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Great post.

This is Quinns first truly bad year.

It is a really bad year but still the first really bad year.

Last year he has the injury hat to hang.....and that is valid.

I could absolutely see Blank giving Quinn one more year....who knows if it will happen but it is not as crazy of a thought when you take a step back.

The problem is that.....losing brings out the irrational and stupid in people.

Absolutely! I'm probably one of the more optimistic fans out there, but even I have looked into just forgetting this staff and moving on after that last lost.

As mentioned though, this is really the first bad year for Quinn honestly overall. 

AB has got to be looking at this mess and trying to figure out where this thing went off the rails. Why not give Quinn another year. At least firing him next year gets you closer to getting out of cap **** territory, and provides an easier transition for a GM/HC to come in and figure out. Mike Smith got another year to figure it out.

JDaveG and Schwarzwald like this

28 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Absolutely! I'm probably one of the more optimistic fans out there, but even I have looked into just forgetting this staff and moving on after that last lost.

As mentioned though, this is really the first bad year for Quinn honestly overall. 

AB has got to be looking at this mess and trying to figure out where this thing went off the rails. Why not give Quinn another year. At least firing him next year gets you closer to getting out of cap **** territory, and provides an easier transition for a GM/HC to come in and figure out. Mike Smith got another year to figure it out.

It may be time for a new voice....maybe.

None of us really know.

I personally wantes to give Smitty one more year but I reconized that it was probably time for a new voice.

But as we have learned first hand....a new voice is not always the right voice.

At this point nothing really would suprise me.

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This won’t happen because if Quinn is still the head coach you don’t get improvement in attendance.

Let’s be honest, a new coach won’t improve attendance either.  2008 had several games where AB had to buy tickets so the game wouldn’t be blacked out.  The only thing that improves attendance with this fan base is winning. If the team is winning, it doesn’t matter if DQ is the coach. 

JDaveG likes this

51 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It may be time for a new voice....maybe.

None of us really know.

I personally wantes to give Smitty one more year but I reconized that it was probably time for a new voice.

But as we have learned first hand....a new voice is not always the right voice.

At this point nothing really would suprise me.

My only issue with a new voice at this juncture is that it can only do go so far before continuity is needed. Eventually, you have to stick with what you have and just figure it out.

The ideal that a new coach is needed after a bad year or 2 results in a revolving door much like the carousel that seems like will continue in Cleveland. 

In smitty's case, I did believe a new voice was needed. I think a lot of players quit on him and Blank had his concerns as well. It seems a bit different with DQ.

falconsd56 likes this

2 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Probably so, but Arthur Blank may not fill that way. He even said himself they have been successful in the past and there’s no reason to believe they won’t be again. How long do you give him? Does he get just one down year, albeit a horrible year, but just one down year? I’m starting to think with certain adjustments DQ gets one more year.

Calling this year a catastrophe would be an understatement. Quinn is gone at the bye or the end of the season regardless of what happens from here on out.

Also, he has had multiple down years. If he had won the SB then he might get a pass but he didn’t.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Calling this year a catastrophe would be an understatement. Quinn is gone at the bye or the end of the season regardless of what happens from here on out.

Also, he has had multiple down years. If he had won the SB then he might get a pass but he didn’t.

Multiple?

It’s possible DQ stays but man I don’t like DK if we can’t be a balanced team...

Then again, maybe the D is just that bad?

Or both are true because we can’t run the ball...

Counted on Lindstrom and he got hurt. Knew Kaleb would need some time compared to Chris, but he didn’t play almost all preseason!

Then, the Defense just fell so flat in many areas.

Something seems like it needs to give.

kschreck likes this

5 hours ago, *TMo* said:

This is sad my brother. Sad but so true.

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This won’t happen because if Quinn is still the head coach you don’t get improvement in attendance.

Let's say Dan Quinn stayed. They could get attendance up by drafting a couple couple of headhunters and by being aggressive in free agency. Instead of firing coaches fire the players who are playing bad.

3 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Too much emotion in this. Same guy that made it to the super bowl by running a defense with I believe 7 starters that were rookies or 2nd year guys? May have been a few more. So there’s a little more there than he just sucks at everything. Was yards away from making it back to the NFC Champ game the following year. So again there’s more there than he just sucks.

Cant be too emotional at 7 weeks. Yes anyone can throw up a stat about our W-L record following the super bowl but when you look at it outside the numbers, again we were yards away from a 2nd straight NFCCG followed by a year full of injuries in which he still took that group to a 7-9 record. So one more time, there’s more there than he just sucks.

Dan? 

1 hour ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

My only issue with a new voice at this juncture is that it can only do go so far before continuity is needed. Eventually, you have to stick with what you have and just figure it out.

The ideal that a new coach is needed after a bad year or 2 results in a revolving door much like the carousel that seems like will continue in Cleveland. 

In smitty's case, I did believe a new voice was needed. I think a lot of players quit on him and Blank had his concerns as well. It seems a bit different with DQ.

Seriously? Did Mike ever do this bad and be so dumb in all aspects of the game? Were they ever 1-6? Can't remember. .Bring him back as far as I care. 

I think 28-3 broke Quinn & I don’t know if he can recover. I would be open to giving it one more year under certain circumstances, but Dimitroff would have to go & I can’t find it in me to hold him more responsible for this team than Quinn. DQ has final say over the 53. He wasn’t going out and drafting guys that Dan Quinn didn’t like. 

Only way I can see both of them staying is if we were to get hot, get to 7-9 or 8-8 and look good to close out the season. Have made a few more trades and be ready to retool this roster in the offseason. I don’t see that happening. 

If Quinn goes, TD needs to go. At that point, I think it’s time to go full rebuild. 

And also I’m sick of Arthur Blank coming out and saying we want “player x” to be a falcon for life. We have tied way too much money up into decent to good players and not star/elite players. Belichick ships them off and retools. Signs great vet talent to big 1 year deals, wins a SB & then let’s them walk and gets a high comp pick. You can’t get all emotional about your roster. 

Kyle Shanahan had the 7th highest scoring offense of all-time. Matt Ryan was an MVP.

What has DQ ever done that was historic? He's never even had a defense than was better than 20th ranked in DVOA. Our defenses have sucked every year, and he's the "defensive guru".

Get this bald-headed, 25pt lead blowing, mediocre talent evaluating *** out of here. He's riding off past success and has underperformed with highly talented rosters since 2017.

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

No doubt he’s burned out. People can hate on the phrases and rah rah attitude but he truly believes in it. He’s all team all the time. Everyone was pumped when he was in the video talking about this team will make two trips to Miami if they ..... together. Just my guess but maybe he like Smitty lost sight of the little things for a bit chasing the glory of the big games. 

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to give him another season to reset and get back to the fine details.

But back to my original post, I believe it can only happen with freak new outlook all together on Defense. All I need DQ to be is the guy that got an extremely young defense to pull together to make a SB run.  That DQ has what it takes to get this team back together again.

Yeah he seems like a totally different guy now. Not the one that we hired 

12 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Lets just glance the thought over that Dan Quinn does not get fired. Arthur Blank decides he’s going to stick through the tough times on the condition that Dan Quinn brings in an outside Defensive Coordinator with a different scheme.

Truthfully, that’s the only way I see that he stays. Who are those candidates? I’ll be honest I have no clue when it comes to outside of the Falcons, I have a hard enough time trying to figure them out to keep up with anyone else.

Who are those possible candidates?

BLASPHEMY!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!

7 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

You don’t believe this team needs a “new voice”? Seriously Geaux? 

9 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

And what do you get if you fire him now? Absolutely nothing.  There is nothing to gain from firing Quinn mid season. 

10 hours ago, octoslash said:

Quinn is so impotent during the games,  I can't see any reason to keep him at this point. And I was a big supporter of his until this season.

I think he's burned out myself.

Burned out and hit the ceiling of his abilities. Like everyone else I thought we had the coach thatd be here for 10 years or so with hopefully a couple SB wins. Oh well.