marvinthemartian

According to Carl Dukes on 92.9 the Game

122 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Cole World said:

I think the only reason Quinn is sticking around is because if you fire him now you are also firing the so call DC.

Its not like we are playing good defense now but who will call the defense? 

Morris could become the DC unless he's the interim HC....we need a real WR coach anyway

Flying Falcon and Cole World like this

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

He would absolutely get another look as a HC.  He has never been HC of the Falcons.  He did a decent job in TB, but certainly not a good one.  That doesn't mean he can't find success elsewhere.

Unlike others -- Tomlin, maybe Jay Gruden -- he'll have to do a lap or two as an OC and have success.  My point is he'd have had other offers besides here.

I hope him as another HC candidate is not possible because I would feel bad for that franchise. I'd buy OC again, but even that thought makes me squirm and feel uneasy, but I understand this league and why they hire in familiarity.

Koetter, went 9-7 (missing the playoffs) his first season, followed by back to back 5-11 seasons.

If he gets hired as a HC again expect my @JDaveG was right and WFW was wrong apology, but I just don't see it.

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

I hope him as another HC candidate is not possible because I would feel bad for that franchise. I'd buy OC again, but even that thought makes me squirm and feel uneasy, but I understand this league and why they hire in familiarity.

Koetter, went 9-7 (missing the playoffs) his first season, followed by back to back 5-11 seasons.

If he gets hired as a HC again expect my @JDaveG was right and WFW was wrong apology, but I just don't see it.

Consider his QB.  He suffered from the Quinn-Beasley dilemma.  He thought he could change who a man is.

Pacific_Falcon and papachaz like this

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Consider his QB.  He suffered from the Quinn-Beasley dilemma.  He thought he could change who a man is.

Winston Is a turnover machine I'll Grant you that, but part of the charm of hiring Koetter was the promise he could fix Jameis.

I was never a fan of Koetter's run game, which could've taken the emphasis off Winston having to do everything himself.

16 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

He says that he has it on good authority that Blank is more upset with TD than he is with DQ. Apparently Blank would have fired TD when Quinn got here if Quinn had wanted him to do it but Quinn said they could work together. Dukes said he wouldn’t be surprised if TD goes and Quinn stays IF they turn it around and win some games during the rest of the season. Not saying I hope this happens but he was serious that this is what his inside sources are saying Blank is leaning towards as of now. 

I sincerely hope this is bull plop.  TD's time here has been largely successful.  There are some legitimate criticisms to be made against TD, but no more than any other GM.  I would be more than fine with the Falcons retaining TD.  Conversely, I can completely understand if Blank removes him in addition to Quinn at the end of the season for a total house cleaning.  But the idea Blank may keep Quinn and fire TD instead of the other way around?   That either means Blank has a serious lack of understanding when it comes to why this team is failing, or it means something behind the scenes is going on that has TD on the outs and has totally ingratiated Quinn to Blank.  Regardless, that's bad new for fans. 

No HC gets hired or fired without Blank's initiation or agreement.  Let's look at his track record, in my opinion:

Fired Dan Reeves when he should have had one more season, which led to...
Mora, which he kept one season too long, which led to...
Petrino, which was as disaster, which led to...
Mike Smith, fired when he also should have got one more season, which led to...
Quinn, who did lead us to the Superbowl.  But that's at least as attributable (if not more so) to Shanahan and that 2016 offense.  He also led us to the most embarrassing loss in SB history, and despite having primary control over player acquisition has failed to acquire an effective long-term O line, pass rush, or even top 15 defense.  He fired his own hand-picked coordinators, and now has 3 former head coaches on his staff, yet we still fail.  And the defense under his complete control is a joke this season.  Blank should have cut him loose last season, but he may want to keep Quinn and dump TD?  No thanks, Mr. Blank.  

Geneaut, ukfalc, freefall and 4 others like this

It's often assumed Quinn has primary control over player acquisition.  In addition to the points I made earlier about him still having to rely on the scouting department and GM to identify players, I'm also not sure he has full control.

I remember when he was hired, they were all very wishy-washy about who was going to do what.  In a presser, someone asked "who has the final say" and Quinn said "Thomas" and TD said "DQ."

Point being, I'm not sure conventional wisdom about who does what on this team is right at all.  And I'll say again, this movie looks like a re-run to me.  Same issues, same problems, same (arguably worse) results.  

If Blank thinks TD is primarily to blame for the personnel on both lines of scrimmage, then honestly, I can see him saying "I'm going to give Quinn another year and see what happens with fresh eyes on the personnel side."  I don't think that is what is going to happen.  But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

17 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

He says that he has it on good authority that Blank is more upset with TD than he is with DQ. Apparently Blank would have fired TD when Quinn got here if Quinn had wanted him to do it but Quinn said they could work together. Dukes said he wouldn’t be surprised if TD goes and Quinn stays IF they turn it around and win some games during the rest of the season. 

Not saying I hope this happens but he was serious that this is what his inside sources are saying Blank is leaning towards as of now. 

This makes no sense to me. Quinn has basically equivalent or almost equal talent to what we had in 2016-2018. This year we have 1 win. Why isn’t the talent producing?? That’s TDs faults? All he does is bring in guys that Quinn wants to mold. Some work and some aren’t working. Vic and Duke didn’t get it. Grady Rico Debo and Keanu get it. Takk has the effort but needs refinement. Oliver has a skill set but needs the same. 

A lot of us including DQ blamed the DC and OC for inefficiencies  I’d take Manuel and Sark back right now  We made the playoffs with Sark and Manuel  DQ has our defense the worst it’s been in 4  or 5 years.  

Malachore likes this

Bad news if true. We have no chance next year if we stick with DQ.

The only rationale I can see for it, is that Blank wants a new GM who will then be able to point his own head coach - and maybe Blank doesn’t think we have enough time to replace both in the same off-season.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Jerome Henderson, Jeff Ulbrich, are probably the likeliest candidates.  Both already have a heavy hand in the game planning as it is, and DQ indicated in his last press conference that he started spreading round some of the play calling as it is.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, JDaveG said:

He'd have gotten an OC job somewhere else.  I don't buy that at all.

The only thing that makes sense to me is just another level of conspiracy theory, and at that point it's just getting too much like a game of Clue, but if Koetter thought he'd come in, wait it out and get another HC job like he did in Tampa, maybe that would explain it.

But that's 2 layers of voodoo to get there, so I don't buy that either.

This makes as much sense as anything.  I doubt DK was being begged for his svc and I’m sure as stated getting a paycheck and wtg it out we’re not his worst options.  Question is, why DK period?  Was he forced in by Tampa Bay McKay, hired to pls MR, or a desperation move when Kubiak didn’t pan out??

papachaz likes this

92.9 doesn't take that many calls anymore because they are the official radio station of the Atlanta Falcons and they don't like it when people call in and bash the team and speak the truth. Rose colored glasses radio. Truth is if Dukes is correct and TD is gone Blank needs to fire scouting department too AND Rich McKay because he hired TD, Get the old rift raft OUT! Seriously.

Godzilla1985 likes this

Blank may have not made the move because he may have to wait until the off season to have permission to talk to another teams GM or assistant GM and that would make sense. But he can start firing scouting department now.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:19 AM, JDaveG said:

It's often assumed Quinn has primary control over player acquisition.  In addition to the points I made earlier about him still having to rely on the scouting department and GM to identify players, I'm also not sure he has full control.

I remember when he was hired, they were all very wishy-washy about who was going to do what.  In a presser, someone asked "who has the final say" and Quinn said "Thomas" and TD said "DQ."

Point being, I'm not sure conventional wisdom about who does what on this team is right at all.  And I'll say again, this movie looks like a re-run to me.  Same issues, same problems, same (arguably worse) results.  

If Blank thinks TD is primarily to blame for the personnel on both lines of scrimmage, then honestly, I can see him saying "I'm going to give Quinn another year and see what happens with fresh eyes on the personnel side."  I don't think that is what is going to happen.  But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I saw an interview where DQ and TD were both there, and some reporter asked who had the final say on draft picks, and TD said that he did. So eventually, TD fessed up. Not sure if those were same or different pressers though.

JDaveG, Refried Beans and Malachore like this

On 10/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, marvinthemartian said:

He says that he has it on good authority that Blank is more upset with TD than he is with DQ. Apparently Blank would have fired TD when Quinn got here if Quinn had wanted him to do it but Quinn said they could work together. Dukes said he wouldn’t be surprised if TD goes and Quinn stays IF they turn it around and win some games during the rest of the season. 

Not saying I hope this happens but he was serious that this is what his inside sources are saying Blank is leaning towards as of now. 

Fine but please get rid of both Dan Quinn AND Dimitroff —-please do not just fire Dimitroff and keep Quinn

Blank has lost all grasp of reality if he keeps Quinn After this season

1) Quinn lost a SB after being up 28-3 with 17 min left

2) you cannot point to 1 area of on the field play that has improved year over year since he has been head coach

3) he is responsible for preparing the team each week for the next opponent - yeah how’s that going for you so far this year???

4) he is the defensive coordinator and our defense has never looked worse. 

you think magically this team would turn around if we fired Dimitroff and kept Quinn ???

are you serious???!

get rid of BOTH

CTann and Godzilla1985 like this

On 10/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Vandy said:

If this is true Blank needs to be tested for dementia.

No way is Quinn staying, not sure why anyone even start threads on what some Radiohead is yapping. 

Exactly. Our radio guys make up stuff all the time. I don't believe anything they say. They are just trying to get listeners.

DQ had way more power over the team than TD. If TD gets fired for this mess and Quinn doesn't, I will lose all faith in this organization. 

TheUsualStuff and Vandy like this

On 10/23/2019 at 11:16 AM, chronob said:

I sincerely hope this is bull plop.  TD's time here has been largely successful.  There are some legitimate criticisms to be made against TD, but no more than any other GM.  I would be more than fine with the Falcons retaining TD.  Conversely, I can completely understand if Blank removes him in addition to Quinn at the end of the season for a total house cleaning.  But the idea Blank may keep Quinn and fire TD instead of the other way around?   That either means Blank has a serious lack of understanding when it comes to why this team is failing, or it means something behind the scenes is going on that has TD on the outs and has totally ingratiated Quinn to Blank.  Regardless, that's bad new for fans. 

No HC gets hired or fired without Blank's initiation or agreement.  Let's look at his track record, in my opinion:

Fired Dan Reeves when he should have had one more season, which led to...
Mora, which he kept one season too long, which led to...
Petrino, which was as disaster, which led to...
Mike Smith, fired when he also should have got one more season, which led to...
Quinn, who did lead us to the Superbowl.  But that's at least as attributable (if not more so) to Shanahan and that 2016 offense.  He also led us to the most embarrassing loss in SB history, and despite having primary control over player acquisition has failed to acquire an effective long-term O line, pass rush, or even top 15 defense.  He fired his own hand-picked coordinators, and now has 3 former head coaches on his staff, yet we still fail.  And the defense under his complete control is a joke this season.  Blank should have cut him loose last season, but he may want to keep Quinn and dump TD?  No thanks, Mr. Blank.  

Quinn has shown that he is not a good HC, and it was long before this season.  Remember this was a guy that struggled with clock management, a basic and fundamental thing, and that was when he didn't have to call the defense.  He was going to hire someone solely to help him with clock management.  From all I hear Quinn is a nice man, but it strikes me that he is in way over his head being a HC.  Too much responsibility for him to handle, especially when he has to call the defense as well.  The lack of preparation this team has shown week in and week out this season is evidence of that.

Vandy and GhostofGritz like this