Jump to content

Scott Pioli on Sanu trade and Falcons


Ergo Proxy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Snead talks first on all of Rams moves last week and then there is a Q&A before Pioli comes on at 23mins into the podcast.

Falcons have several tradable players but not necessarily tradable contracts.

He suggests without next year’s cap released; the Sanu deal leaves us $15M over the cap next year.

If the cap goes up at the same rate this deal may bring the Falcons to $5M roughly over next year’s likely cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Snead talks first on all of Rams moves last week and then there is a Q&A before Pioli comes on at 23mins into the podcast.

Falcons have several tradable players but not necessarily tradable contracts.

He suggests without next year’s cap released; the Sanu deal leaves us $15M over the cap next year.

If the cap goes up at the same rate this deal may bring the Falcons to $5M roughly over next year’s likely cap.

release Freeman and trade Trufant in the off-season, plus Beasley will be gone by then, and Schaub. That's a ton of cash freed up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

release Freeman and trade Trufant in the off-season, plus Beasley will be gone by then, and Schaub. That's a ton of cash freed up

If im not mistaken, i don't believe Freeman's contract allows us to release him with out taking a hit. I don't pretend to be a cap guru, so im not for certain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Falconguy said:

If im not mistaken, i don't believe Freeman's contract allows us to release him with out taking a hit. I don't pretend to be a cap guru, so im not for certain.

We free up 3.5 million by cutting Free and 8 million by cutting Mack. Both should be obvious moves. Stocker frees up around 3.5 million more. We'll also free up 13 million from Beasley and should cut Trufant which frees up around 5 million more. We shouldn't be in terrible shape next year and should be in better shape in 2021 when we move on from either Carpenter and Brown or most likely both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We free up 3.5 million by cutting Free and 8 million by cutting Mack. Both should be obvious moves. Stocker frees up around 3.5 million more. We'll also free up 13 million from Beasley and should cut Trufant which frees up around 5 million more. We shouldn't be in terrible shape next year and should be in better shape in 2021 when we move on from either Carpenter and Brown or most likely both. 

Im pretty sure with Beasley being a FA after this season, he does not count against the cap next year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We free up 3.5 million by cutting Free and 8 million by cutting Mack. Both should be obvious moves. Stocker frees up around 3.5 million more. We'll also free up 13 million from Beasley and should cut Trufant which frees up around 5 million more. We shouldn't be in terrible shape next year and should be in better shape in 2021 when we move on from either Carpenter and Brown or most likely both. 

You can't free up Beasley money since he is not on contract for next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

No, they can make Freeman a post-June 1 cut and still save money. They will carry some dead money on his contract, but what he was due to receive in 2020 will offset that if the Falcons cut him then.

 

4 hours ago, The Architect said:

Spotrac has us 1.6 mill under the cap with their estimates.

Apparently, you can only June 1st two players per year and that most certain would be Free and Carpenter (if you gonna cut him he can’t be a pre-June 1st as it’s not helping cap)...

Tru can be an outright cut so we gain almost a flat $5M and eat most of the dead money in 2020; helping more in seasons like 2021 and 2022.

Free could be a straight cut but the $3.5M yield isn’t as appealing, IMO. We could use the help once top-51 rule no longer applies and you need the entire roster to fit under cap after preseason. That would yield $6.5M and defer $3M dead to 2021.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

 

Apparently, you can only June 1st two players per year and that most certain would be Free and Carpenter (if you gonna cut him he can’t be a pre-June 1st as it’s not helping cap)...

Tru can be an outright cut so we gain almost a flat $5M and eat most of the dead money in 2020; helping more in seasons like 2021 and 2022.

Per Overthecap, cutting Tru outright in 2020 means $10.2M in dead money & just a $4.9M savings. As a post 6/1 cut, he'd save us $10.7M w/ $4.4M in dead money.

Freeman as an outright cut in 2020 = $3.5M in savings but $6M in dead money. Free as a post 6/2 cut is a savings of $6.5M w/ $3M in dead money.

So designating both Free & Tru as our post 6/1 cuts for 2020 saves us about $17.25M w/ $7.4M in dead money... or a net savings of about $10M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, k-train said:

Per Overthecap, cutting Tru outright in 2020 means $10.2M in dead money & just a $4.9M savings. As a post 6/1 cut, he'd save us $10.7M w/ $4.4M in dead money.

Freeman as an outright cut in 2020 = $3.5M in savings but $6M in dead money. Free as a post 6/2 cut is a savings of $6.5M w/ $3M in dead money.

So designating both Free & Tru as our post 6/1 cuts for 2020 saves us about $17.25M w/ $7.4M in dead money... or a net savings of about $10M.

They could do that, but you don’t get those cap savings until June...

So, to me I’d rather eat all of Tru’s dead money in 2020 since it’s a tough cap year anyway to let us have some kind of UFA period.

If you post 6/1 Tru, it pushes $5.8M dead money into 2021.

I guess it depends on their UFA goals. Because max gains in June help make cap requirements by week 1... What’s the point if you then want to rely on rollover to negate his dead cap pushing down the road anyway? :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

They could do that, but you don’t get those cap savings until June...

So, to me I’d rather eat all of Tru’s dead money in 2020 since it’s a tough cap year anyway to let us have some kind of UFA period.

If you post 6/1 Tru, it pushes $5.8M dead money into 2021.

I guess it depends on their UFA goals. Because max gains in June help make cap requirements by week 1... What’s the point if you then want to rely on rollover to negate his dead cap pushing down the road anyway? :shrug:

Just don’t think they have the flexibility to eat all the dead money in 2020 w/ the way things currently look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, k-train said:

Per Overthecap, cutting Tru outright in 2020 means $10.2M in dead money & just a $4.9M savings. As a post 6/1 cut, he'd save us $10.7M w/ $4.4M in dead money.

Freeman as an outright cut in 2020 = $3.5M in savings but $6M in dead money. Free as a post 6/2 cut is a savings of $6.5M w/ $3M in dead money.

So designating both Free & Tru as our post 6/1 cuts for 2020 saves us about $17.25M w/ $7.4M in dead money... or a net savings of about $10M.

The dead money is the same regardless of if it's a 6/1 cut, 6/1 cut just pushes more to 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

No one cares what Pioli says he was loser GM at KC, he brought nothing to the table in Altanta, he should be selling cars not working in the NFL. Look at Atlanta's o-line and d-line plain awful and Pioli was brought in to help TD draft linemen!?!  All Pioli did was bring his loser draft picks and scouts from KC to here. Another deadbeat that was employeed for New England during Super Bowl run that is riding success of Belichick. 

LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

No one cares what Pioli says he was loser GM at KC, he brought nothing to the table in Altanta, he should be selling cars not working in the NFL. Look at Atlanta's o-line and d-line plain awful and Pioli was brought in to help TD draft linemen!?!  All Pioli did was bring his loser draft picks and scouts from KC to here. Another deadbeat that was employeed for New England during Super Bowl run that is riding success of Belichick. 

What is it like to be so ******* intolerable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...