FalconsIn2012

Too Early 2020 Coach List

142 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, The Smart One said:

No more defensive HCs please. Both Smith and Quinn were defensive HCs. Things look good for a couple years until their good personnel is hired away and their defense’s have been figured out. Then it becomes a **** show. DCs are also fairly replaceable at this point. Where as a good OC will get hired away. I don’t think anyone would argue that we wouldn’t be better off today if we gave Kyle Shanahan the HC job after 2016. We need an innovative mind with an attacking mindset who we can’t have taken away from us. 

Smith had a 5 year run of success. 
 

His teams couldn’t get it done in playoffs, but it was best 5 year stretch in team history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Mcdaniel I would def kick the tires on. He is Shanny's run game coordinator, so the interview would have to verify he can handle the full OC load.

PS we aren't keeping Dirks playbook. This is a 4 verts offense and you can see it on the field. DQ saying we kept the same offense is a lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Smith had a 5 year run of success. 
 

His teams couldn’t get it done in playoffs, but it was best 5 year stretch in team history.

Smitty is criminally underrated.  Removing 2013 since it was an outlier with our team on IR, here are Smith’s numbers in Atlanta

6 Seasons

96 Games 

64 Wins, 65% W/L Record

Dude took over a dumpster fire and averaged nearly 11 wins over 6 years.  Amongst the most productive 6 year run in the last 25 years (regular season).  Yet we still throw shade.  Only Belichick won more over that span.  He had some flaws, but every coach does

Vandy, Godzilla1985 and GATXBOI like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, vel said:

Eric Bienemy. Everybody makes a big deal about him not calling plays, but he's just as much an offensive mind as Pedersen was before he left. 

He's ready to be a HC and has a ton of experience in a very good offensive scheme. It wouldn't take a ton of retooling of the offense. He's legit and I will be upset if we don't even give him an interview. You want a well rounded, hard to scheme for offense, get Bienemy. 

As for DC, man IDK. It comes down to personnel. No DC will look good here. Dennis Allen was a mediocre coach his entire career but got to NO and has been coaching some very good units. 

As for GM, give me Eliot Wolf or Ed Dodds. 

Thank you. I been saying this since we lost to Minny. Play calling doesn't have to be his forte, that's what his coordinator is for. He can manage a game, come up with a game plan, and execute it. Bieniemy would bring a system and stability to the offense. More importantly he believes in the run game and OL development

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Personally, I'm not married to the idea that we have to continue to chase the nirvana that was Kyle Shanahan's mythical offense.  There are plenty of other schemes out there we could build a potent offense around, so I'm not too keen right now on that piece of it so much as I am finding the right man for the job.

This. I've been saying this. Stop chasing Kyle's offense and just find a guy who is capable. I've pointed to the Chiefs offense as an example of this. No attachment to Kyle's offense, yet lights up the league. The Eagles offense as well. DeFillippo in Jacksonville. There are so many offenses. Just get a guy who is up to date on today's offensive schemes/trends and go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cam-marino said:

What's your interest level in George Paton?

Maybe. He's never not worked with Rick Spielman so I wonder what he's truly capable of. Wolf and Dodds pique my interest before Paton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, vel said:

Maybe. He's never not worked with Rick Spielman so I wonder what he's truly capable of. Wolf and Dodds pique my interest before Paton. 

I Know Dodds is a stud candidate, but I fear Wolf will bring McCarthy in at HC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I've been wondering about Saleh; he's young and a fired-up kind of dude. The SF defense is doing great under Saleh, but he does have some good positional coaches that are good at what they do. I really just don't know enough about him to know if he is a good coach or not. 

And remember he's got some really good players..when you draft in the top 5 for a decade you eventually acquire talent..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

I Know Dodds is a stud candidate, but I fear Wolf will bring McCarthy in at HC

Lol yea that's not realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol yea that's not realistic. 

How? He was with McCarthy in GB for 13 seasons lol.

Edited by cam-marino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant believe people are bring up Pioli, dude was fired from KC and worked for us for like 4 years and did nothing. Our o-line and d-line still blow. People suggesting this must be internal staff or scouts that know their jobs are in jeopordy, no one in their right mind would want Pioli as their GM. Get real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed Dodds would do two thing right out of the gate that Falcons need desperately. He would clean out Falcons scouting and rebuild the whole thing correctly, he more than likely would keep TD to manage to cap, because Dodds likes to scout and draft but he doesn't like being the PR guy, so he would basically have TD remain to be a figure head, and Dodds would build us interior line on both the offensive and the defensive sides of the ball. Dodds may even keep Quinn as HC because he worked with Quinn at Seattle. He basically built the roster and Quinn coached it. Same thing could happen here. Blank could fire McKay, Sabo, Webster, Emry, and Collier and let Dodds run the show and Falcons roster would improve overnight. I mean when I watched the Falcons play last Sunday they were scrapping and playing but it looked like a JV team against a varsity team. That's lack of talent. Dodds would fix this ASAP. Blank needs to pay the man and let him do his thing before someone else does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

How? He was with McCarthy in GB for 13 seasons lol.

McCarthy was Thompson's guy. It's like saying Snead would have entertained hiring Smitty in LA because he was with him here in Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

And remember he's got some really good players..when you draft in the top 5 for a decade you eventually acquire talent..

Yes, that is true. I'm probably more enamored with his enthusiasm than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Smith had a 5 year run of success. 
 

His teams couldn’t get it done in playoffs, but it was best 5 year stretch in team history.

That’s the whole point. It was a 5 year run and then we had to start over. Smith hasn’t been successful since either. We need a coach that will be here long term. Also we need to have continuity with the offense. Also we can’t afford to have to learn a new offense every other year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, there’s several good coaches who can scheme & game-plan well. But that alone doesn’t make them a good HC candidate. Need to have a coach who is a natural leader. Someone who can rally & lead the troops. If you don’t have the personality to lead a locker room, then it doesn’t matter how well you can scheme. 

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

And remember he's got some really good players..when you draft in the top 5 for a decade you eventually acquire talent..

That shouldn’t be a knock against him. The talent still has to be coached up. Guys like Jimmie Ward weren’t exactly lighting the league up and an Arik Armstead for example was straight up viewed as a bust before the new staff got there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Smart One said:

That’s the whole point. It was a 5 year run and then we had to start over. Smith hasn’t been successful since either. We need a coach that will be here long term. Also we need to have continuity with the offense. Also we can’t afford to have to learn a new offense every other year. 

We can’t assume that the next head coach won’t do what every other sensible organization does and promote from within. What Quinn has done with the OC position and the offense since Kyle left has been all kinds of levels of dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

We can’t assume that the next head coach won’t do what every other sensible organization does and promote from within. What Quinn has done with the OC position and the offense since Kyle left has been all kinds of levels of dumb.

Bevell was simply too logical.  A tad too run heavy, but I guarantee our TOP and offensive balance would be far improved...Ryan likely has several less turnovers.  
 

This past off-season, with respect to the hiring of coaches and offensive personnel felt like an amateur with no background in professional sports made all the decisions. It’s just my opinion, but I don’t think Quinn had much to say in this off-season except for the last few signings, Clayborn and Bailey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vel said:

This. I've been saying this. Stop chasing Kyle's offense and just find a guy who is capable. I've pointed to the Chiefs offense as an example of this. No attachment to Kyle's offense, yet lights up the league. The Eagles offense as well. DeFillippo in Jacksonville. There are so many offenses. Just get a guy who is up to date on today's offensive schemes/trends and go. 

Kyle isn’t even chasing the 2016 offense. He is constantly evolving.

If youre chasing a static objective, even if you reach it, you cant really evolve.  The mind behind the objective is gone.  Bring in a new mind to build his own vision.  

JDaveG, vel and The Smart One like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

This past off-season, with respect to the hiring of coaches and offensive personnel felt like an amateur with no background in professional sports made all the decisions. It’s just my opinion, but I don’t think Quinn had much to say in this off-season except for the last few signings, Clayborn and Bailey

I would love to let Quinn off the hook for the ***show that part of it turned out to be, I mean it was so transparently bad, but I can't until I see a credible leak or something at least.  Very rarely does a HC not get to set his staff up, and when he does it's usually news.

If DQ does by some miracle survive another year then we know why.  Someone's up there at the Branch feeling guilty for forcing this staff mess on him.

vel and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it too early for someone somewhere to start paying serious attention to Joe Brady? Currently he is the passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach at LSU. Before that he spent 2 years as an offensive assistant learning under Sean Payton, and has used that to very quickly pull LSU out of the 70s and have turned them into one of the most lethal offenses in the country, and Joe Burrow into a very possible #1 overall pick. 
 

He’s touted as the next great offensive mind, and although it’s probably too early to give him a head gig, I would give him a serious look at OC. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vel said:

McCarthy was Thompson's guy. It's like saying Snead would have entertained hiring Smitty in LA because he was with him here in Atlanta.

So who would Wolf hire as HC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I would love to let Quinn off the hook for the ***show that part of it turned out to be, I mean it was so transparently bad, but I can't until I see a credible leak or something at least.  Very rarely does a HC not get to set his staff up, and when he does it's usually news.

If DQ does by some miracle survive another year then we know why.  Someone's up there at the Branch feeling guilty for forcing this staff mess on him.

I remember on draft day that Quinn kept saying they were very heated battles over the past two hours about what to do.
 

In no way do I think he wanted to use his first three rounds of draft capital on offense and personnel considering we just spent a first rounder the previous year on offense. Sheffield, Kaminsky, Miller all seem like Quinn picks...Round 1 felt like Pioli.  If you recall, he only was the guy who called McGarry and said he was our selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

So who would Wolf hire as HC?

IDK honestly. He'd probably look at Bienemy honestly, with some input from John Dorsey since he was in KC. But IDK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now