FalconsIn2012

Too Early 2020 Coach List

142 posts in this topic

Let’s compile some of our favorites.  If keeping our playbook, here is how I see things:

OC: Shane Waldron, passing game coordinator, Los Angeles Rams.  HC: Gary Kubiak

HC: Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills.  Coached under Saban & Belichick

HC & OC:  Nick Sirianni, offensive coordinator, Indianapolis Colts

Gary Kubiak as Head Coach & Mike McDaniels as OC

Carmichael as Head Coach & OC.

HC & DC: Robert Saleh.  defensive coordinator, San Francisco 49ers.  OC: Shane Waldron

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

I've been wondering about Saleh; he's young and a fired-up kind of dude. The SF defense is doing great under Saleh, but he does have some good positional coaches that are good at what they do. I really just don't know enough about him to know if he is a good coach or not. 

JetJones11 and FalconsIn2012 like this

HC: Kevin Stefanski, OC Vikings 

OC: Mike McDaniels, 9ers run game Coordinator 

McDaniels served underneath Gary Kubiak 2005-2008 (Broncos and Texans)

McDaniels also served underneath Shanahan 2005-2008 and from 2011-present

Stefanski worked with Kubiak 2019

Jerz #Quinning, Vandy, FA91 and 5 others like this

47 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

@vel   @athell

@PeytonMannings Forehead@Vandy

@MSalmon

@Knight of God
@Ergo Proxy

Who do you guys like on the OC/DC or QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator level?

I’ve always been a big fan of David Shaw from Stanford as a future NFL Head Coach. 

I like Cole’s thoughts on McDaniel as OC, to reinstitute Shanny’s WCO. 

If DQ fired a mid-year, I hope they let Ulbrich show what he can do as interim DC. 

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’ve always been a big fan of David Shaw from Stanford as a future NFL Head Coach.

I've seen his name pop up more than a few times now, so I just read his bio on Wiki. Very impressive resume. Four-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year and NCAA CFB Coach of the Year. For those like myself who considered Jim Harbaugh, Shaw worked under Harbaugh for several years and oversaw some great offenses at Stanford (including with Andrew Luck). He also has NFL experience as an assistant coach for three different teams that posted winning records. Pretty impressive what he's done without elite talent. Also, he should be plenty familiar with Austin Hooper. Finally, Shaw was once coached by Bill Walsh himself when he played wide receiver.

I'm a big fan now, too. Shaw should be a front-runner.

For that matter, I would like:

HC: David Shaw

OC: Mike McDaniel

DC: Someone that knows the current scheme

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

Eric Bienemy. Everybody makes a big deal about him not calling plays, but he's just as much an offensive mind as Pedersen was before he left. 

Even though he played running back in college and the NFL, the affable and outspoken Bieniemy has been a crucial player in the development of first-year starter Patrick Mahomes . He has taken an offense that was good with Alex Smith under center and turned it into a record-setting group, one that hardly missed a beat with reigning NFL rushing champ Kareem Hunt was released midway through the season.

He turned journeymen such as running backs Spencer Ware and Damien Williams into crucial players, and elevated stars such as wide receiver Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce to another level.

He’s proven himself just as creative as his predecessors, too, coming up with unique ways to use exotic formations. But his demeanor is far different. Pederson and Nagy were generally low-key, while Bieniemy’s voice can be heard quite clearly across three practice fields.

Yet that unbridled intensity only seems to engender more devotion from his players.

“He’s very detailed and he pays attention to everything,” Ware said. “If you take a look at his resume and the players he’s coached, and the way they play football, each and every play they get out there on the field. Having an entire offense with that same mentality is pretty exciting.”

2. His background is in the running game, starting with his own playing days. He was the nation’s second-leading rusher at the University of Colorado in 1990 and finished third in the Heisman voting that year. Bieniemy stands as Colorado’s all-time leading rusher to this day with 3,940 yards on the ground, 4,351 all-purpose yards and 42 total touchdowns during his time as a Buffalo. He went on to have a nine-year career in the NFL, playing for three different teams. He was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the second round (39th overall) in 1991 where he stayed for four years before moving onto the Cincinnati Bengals for another four seasons. He spent one year in Philadelphia before retiring and turning to coaching.

He's ready to be a HC and has a ton of experience in a very good offensive scheme. It wouldn't take a ton of retooling of the offense. He's legit and I will be upset if we don't even give him an interview. You want a well rounded, hard to scheme for offense, get Bienemy. 

As for DC, man IDK. It comes down to personnel. No DC will look good here. Dennis Allen was a mediocre coach his entire career but got to NO and has been coaching some very good units. 

As for GM, give me Eliot Wolf or Ed Dodds. 

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

HC: Kevin Stefanski, OC Vikings 

OC: Mike McDaniels, 9ers run game Coordinator 

McDaniels served underneath Gary Kubiak 2005-2008 (Broncos and Texans)

McDaniels also served underneath Shanahan 2005-2008 and from 2011-present

Stefanski worked with Kubiak 2019

I’d sign off on this if we could get a reliable DC on board.

Sidecar Falcon and Cole World like this

Ed Dodds Falcons Team President and GM 2020 making Atlanta great again, out with Sabo, Collier, Webster, and Emery and in with a REAL football scout and exec. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

Somebody enlighten me on why we'd consider Stefanski...

Stefanski served as a Vikings assistant since 2006 before taking over as coordinator midseason in 2018 for the fired John DeFilippo. 

Head coach Mike Zimmer made the move because he wanted a more balanced attack. Stefanski immediately changed the scheme's approach by doubling the rate of two-tight end sets and became a far more efficient passing offense, according to Sharp Football Analysis' Warren Sharp. 

The formation plays to Cousins' strengths since he excels in the play-action passing game. The Vikings plan to expand the package after Gary Kubiak's hire as assistant head coach and offensive advisor. 

"It's no secret Kirk came up under both coach Shanahans and had some success in that system," the 37-year-old Stefanksi said, per Pro Football Talk's Josh Alper. "There are a lot of similarities, then, to what we are doing moving forward. ... Obviously you evolve, I would hope, year-to-year and I hope really week-to-week that our offense looks different."

vel likes this

I'm gonna go outside the lines here and say what about Urban Meyer? He said he would consider the Cowboys job.

14 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Stefanski served as a Vikings assistant since 2006 before taking over as coordinator midseason in 2018 for the fired John DeFilippo. 

Head coach Mike Zimmer made the move because he wanted a more balanced attack. Stefanski immediately changed the scheme's approach by doubling the rate of two-tight end sets and became a far more efficient passing offense, according to Sharp Football Analysis' Warren Sharp. 

The formation plays to Cousins' strengths since he excels in the play-action passing game. The Vikings plan to expand the package after Gary Kubiak's hire as assistant head coach and offensive advisor. 

"It's no secret Kirk came up under both coach Shanahans and had some success in that system," the 37-year-old Stefanksi said, per Pro Football Talk's Josh Alper. "There are a lot of similarities, then, to what we are doing moving forward. ... Obviously you evolve, I would hope, year-to-year and I hope really week-to-week that our offense looks different."

I guess. I'm just not sold on him being a HC. OC maybe. But full on HC? 

Cole World likes this

4 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Josh McD from the Pat's. Stop playing around and if you want to win like the Pat's, grab BB's apprentice

Falcon Luck suggests he'd come down here and be worse than Marion Campbell. 

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

10 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Falcon Luck suggests he'd come down here and be worse than Marion Campbell. 

Or pull a Petrino

octoslash likes this