The Don™

Julio after Rams Game

110 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Yea we're not talking good or bad bosses. We're talking motivation.

And in this instance for all intents and purposes the players don't consider him a bad boss.

Huh? Bad bosses are bad at motivating, good ones are typically good. 

And liking your boss =/= them being good at what they do. 

54 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Huh? Bad bosses are bad at motivating, good ones are typically good. 

And liking your boss =/= them being good at what they do. 

Noooo being a good or bad boss has nothing to do with motivation.

Culture, Utilizing strengths well, placing in positions to succeed, giving assignments to allow for growth, preparation for the next path in their career

Those are things that make a great boss. These things can INDIRECTLY impact motivation, but the motivation has to be on the person being lead. External motivation is only temporary. 

So if what is being said is true and players aren't playing motivated, then it's only because they depended on DQ to keep them motivated. That can only last so long when the ship is sinking. 

6 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Beasley was also not in the locker room;  per source:

DsXrjv9VAAAvqxv?format=jpg&name=large

This right here was the moment I knew this dude needed to go. 

18 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Noooo being a good or bad boss has nothing to do with motivation.

Culture, Utilizing strengths well, placing in positions to succeed, giving assignments to allow for growth, preparation for the next path in their career

Those are things that make a great boss. These things can INDIRECTLY impact motivation, but the motivation has to be on the person being lead. External motivation is only temporary. 

So if what is being said is true and players aren't playing motivated, then it's only because they depended on DQ to keep them motivated. That can only last so long when the ship is sinking. 

I just simply don't agree with anything bolded. External motivation and internal motivation are not mutually exclusive. If I think of motivation as like a meter, someone can internally start at a 50 and stay there because their environment sucks. But someone else can start at a 10 and be influenced by a multitude of surrounding factors (usually fantastic leaders) to get them to a 100. Creating buy-in is an art. 

ATLFalcons11 likes this

7 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Also, scouting is a more complex process than that, but generally speaking, the way it works is scouts feed information to TD, TD/other big players (formerly Pioli) compile information and present it to DQ, and then - assuming Quinn really does make all the draft picks - Quinn decides. He doesn't have the time to examine draft picks in the depth that the scouting department does. It's literally impossible.

Quinn actually literally complained about that in the media before. He said he wasn't happy with what was being brought to him. I honestly still think he isn't. They keep changing, but TD is still here... Funny how everything has changed around him (scouts , head coaches, and all), yet the problems continue, and TD is still here.

Smith said similar things. Said people above him forced him to change things he didn't agree with and that's when things when south.

TD Admitted to forcing McClure out for Konz. Abraham and Grimes both wanted to stay here, Smith wanted them, and Pushed out because of TD.  That's just what is known. 

Not saying Quinn shouldn't be gone. Sure Quinn has made mistakes. All coaches do. I do believe Quinn will be coaching again somewhere. I don't believe it's all his fault. A lot of issues are being forced down from above and the head coach has to deal with it. When the next coach gets here, we will be having the same discussions, a few years down the road, if nothing changes.

mqg96 likes this

9 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I just simply don't agree with anything bolded. External motivation and internal motivation are not mutually exclusive. If I think of motivation as like a meter, someone can internally start at a 50 and stay there because their environment sucks. But someone else can start at a 10 and be influenced by a multitude of surrounding factors (usually fantastic leaders) to get them to a 100. Creating buy-in is an art. 

You are correct in everything you said above except for the 1st sentence.

The only flaw is how far a fantastic leader takes somebody over the top. Dependence in this type of environment is dangerous....extremely dangerous.

I've worked with over 200 different teams. That's 200 different leaders. That's not including the teams I've lead. When what you outline happens, a leader can go out sick or for a funeral for 3 days and the team dynamic and productivity goes way down. It's because it's not sustainable.

What I believe the 3 players in discussion here have outlined is the above. Surrounding factors play a part for sure and are helpful but should only be a supplement to what is already in place and what you as a person already have.

Paying Beasley that much money no doubt rubbed some guys the wrong way. You don't pay a quitter like that no matter how much you believe in your ability to get the most out of him.

6 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t believe that.

Last time he called our defense from Week 12 - SB 51 we were an attacking Cover 1 defense that held teams literally scoreless in nearly every single first half.  Games were simply over at halftime...much of that due to the defense giving our offense extra possessions.  We swarmed and created turnovers.  That was on him and MM

He was calling plays much better, but it's easy to attack when your offense opens up with 3 straight touchdowns and averages 1 punt a game.

You can be a great leader and coach but still lose the team. Coaches just like leaders have to rely on strong leadership within the team. You can only do Si much as one person. You always hear about how strong the Pats locker room is.

We are lacking leaders that help hold others account. These guys are overpriced and do the bare minimum to get by. I really do think if you get rid of guys like Beasley, Trufant, and Campbell that our defense will start playing better. You can be successful with guys like Trufant in your team but he cannot he counted on to mentor and set examples for younger players.

There's a fine line between being a good coach and being a likeable coach. DQ was probably too nice and gave the players a long leash. Some probably abused it to the max.