g-dawg

Next Move - Trade Hooper for 3rd rounder

270 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That’s ridiculous statement.  You need production from passing game but you don’t need the EXACT player.

Did you watch “Moneyball” with Brad Pitt in the opening scene when the scouts and Billy Beane were trying to replace Giambi?  If not, you should.

You don’t try to replace Hoop with exact player - you look at total offensive stats.  With the best #1 and #2 WR combo, you just need a middle of the road TE - especially with a $30mm QB.   We don’t need a $9-10mm TE.

We are card counters at the table. We are loaded up with the high priced guys.   We need VALUE.

Austin is a known value in quantity with the chance to get better entering his prime. What you want is cards that you don’t know the value of! 

NeonDeion and Ovie_Lover like this

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Trade Hoop

Trade Schaub

****!  The mighty Quinn sure managed to **** this team on the way out

Smitty didn’t do that

Smitty had Julio on rookie deal, Matt was on his rookie deal, Turner, Abe, & Roddy were paid during this time.

We really didn't have to pay anybody and worked with a patchwork oline. We always tried salvaging old vets. Draft picks were never worth extending. A lot of guys we extended from the Smitty era got paid after they're rookie deals were over. When we went out and paid guys, we had success.

The problem up to this point is we overpaid on our extensions on certain guys and have a QB that was due to be paid, while drafting the best WR in the game that needed paying also.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Austin is a known value in quantity with the chance to get better entering his prime. What you want is cards that you don’t know the value of! 

Hooper is value NOW

At $8-10mm/yr - Hooper will not only NOT BE VALUE - but he will be yet another overpay that will further hurt the team.   Better to let a player walk for draft compensation than overpay.   WWBBD?   you know the answer.

Imagine keeping Trufant and Freeman when they were signed, but trading Hooper. 

TD would really be fired for that.

”all these picks and AB trusts me!!!”

lol

Hooper is a better signing than keeping Free or Tru ever was given their position (RB) and status (Tru off injury in the wrong scheme)

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hooper is value NOW

At $8-10mm/yr - Hooper will not only NOT BE VALUE - but he will be yet another overpay that will further hurt the team.   Better to let a player walk for draft compensation than overpay.   WWBBD?   you know the answer.

Trade for Sanu!

Lets all pretend to be BB. Did he keep Gronk? Does he value proven TEs?

You basically don’t want anyone kept.

lets open more cap space than necessary just to acquire more picks!

Its always what BB would do so I must be right 

Just lol

Never said keep Hooper at all costs but you best get a 1st for him or he can walk if he wants to set records for TE contracts.

Assuming all of that is still a major risk given state of TE on the roster and being a guy actually worth keeping.

Ovie_Lover likes this

3 hours ago, quotemokc said:

Jaeden Graham is on the practice squad, if he was the heir apparent he would be active on gameday or another team would have claimed him on waivers.

Ya'll did a similar thing with Saubert last year.

What do you mean? He is active on game day and has been a really good STer for us. Do you even watch?

4 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Smitty had Julio on rookie deal, Matt was on his rookie deal, Turner, Abe, & Roddy were paid during this time.

We really didn't have to pay anybody and worked with a patchwork oline. We always tried salvaging old vets. Draft picks were never worth extending. A lot of guys we extended from the Smitty era got paid after they're rookie deals were over. When we went out and paid guys, we had success.

The problem up to this point is we overpaid on our extensions on certain guys and have a QB that was due to be paid, while drafting the best WR in the game that needed paying also.

Julio was still on his rookie deal when Quinn was hired in January.  The extended Julio in August.

Ryan however...From 2013

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000220873/article/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-reach-10375m-contract 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Matt Ryan and the Falcons agreed on a five-year contract extension worth $103.75 million. NFL.com's Albert Breer later reported that the deal was signed.

6 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

What do you mean? He is active on game day and has been a really good STer for us. Do you even watch?

Doesn't make him a Hooper replacement. 

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Cutting Free and Trufant needs to be done - but it doesn't exactly free up a bunch of money.   Falcons need draft picks right now - lots of'em.  While draft picks aren't sure bets and take time to develop - you have to draft your way out of salary cap h#LL.

We can clear an extra $24 mil off the books by cutting Trufant, Freeman, Schaub, Stocker, Bailey, Sambrailo, Carpenter, Calhoun, Gray, and Brown. That’s before the new the new cap increase too. We could be around $35 mil in space when it’s all said and done. 

17 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Trade for Sanu!

Lets all pretend to be BB. Did he keep Gronk? Does he value proven TEs?

You basically don’t want anyone kept.

lets open more cap space than necessary just to acquire more picks!

Its always what BB would do so I must be right 

Just lol

Never said keep Hooper at all costs but you best get a 1st for him or he can walk if he wants to set records for TE contracts.

Assuming all of that is still a major risk given state of TE on the roster and being a guy actually worth keeping.

BB had elite TE and paid his WRs almost nothing compared to the Falcons.    With Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley - that should be plenty of pass catching talent.  We have Justin Gage who looks to be developing.    Jaden Graham shows promise.    I'm not married to a TE that isn't Gronk or Kelce - take a step down - that isn't Ertz nor Kittle, either.   With Julio and Ridley, all the Falcons need out of a TE is about 45--50 receptions for 450-500yds and  5TDs - which is about league average for a starting TE that plays a full season.

If I could trade Hooper now and get a 2nd rounder - he would be gone so fast.   I prefer to sell high and Hooper's value will never be higher than it is right now.   Hoop's stats now are 46 receptions for 552yds and 4 TDs.

Those stats projected over 16 games would be as follows:  105 receptions, for 1,261yds and 9 TDs.    Do you want to take the over or under on Hoop keeping pace there?   I will take the under.    What do you want to say?  Twenty Bucks?   The last 7 games will be the best 7 game stretch of his career.

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hooper is value NOW

BB actually paid 2 TEs at one point.

9 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Smitty was fired in 2014. I would say he operated most of his tenure with a cheap rookie QB.

And Quinn had established veteran Pro-Bowl NFL QB/WR in their primes.

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

BB actually paid 2 TEs at one point.

give me the receivers names and salaries he paid on those teams.   I'll wait...

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And had a veteran Pro-Bowl NFL QB/WR in their primes.

On cheap deals. It wasn't required to pay all these guys until after Smitty was fired.

Just now, Geaux_Falcons said:

On cheap deals. It wasn't required to pay all these guys until after Smitty was fired.

I meant to say Quinn had those guys.

But it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

give me the receivers names and salaries he paid on those teams.   I'll wait...

He paid Gronk and Hernandez in 2012

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Te is more important of a position than wr. No way I'm trading hoop. Trade the older guys with larger salaries. 

We really need a class on the salary cap.     People like yourself believe you can cut a player with a big salary and you get all that money back against the salary cap - that is not how it works.   I wish it did - would make it a lot easier to fix things.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

We really need a class on the salary cap.     People like yourself believe you can cut a player with a big salary and you get all that money back against the salary cap - that is not how it works.   I wish it did - would make it a lot easier to fix things.

No, I don't think that. I know how the salary cap works you smug mf. It's either eat the dead money now or keep them. There aren't any other options. Pull the bandaid off and start over. 

Schwarzwald likes this

I get your point, but I'd at least try to move a few other people first and to see if you can get him to sign a conservative contract now.

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I get your point, but I'd at least try to move a few other people first and to see if you can get him to sign a conservative contract now.

Hooper is having a career year and free agent next year.  He has ZERO incentive to sign a conservative contract.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Hooper is having a career year and free agent next year.  He has ZERO incentive to sign a conservative contract.

Then if we cant sign him he walks and we likely get a 3rd round comp pick anyway. It's a waste of resources and time to shop him for what we'd already likely get. 

Schwarzwald and Geneaut like this