g-dawg

Next Move - Trade Hooper for 3rd rounder

270 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Trade Hooper?

 

Image result for shake head gif

That is the way I felt also,, but they did, I guess they think they can replace him easily in the draft. Maybe so,, Let's hope we can...  We need to get some Veterans for the OL while our young players develop ,,,  We have to have a top OL in this modern day of freckiss  DL man.... Plus we need to get some of those Freckish DL to be able to match up with the teams that have those top players.. Maybe by next year our young OL will be where we need them to be after playing this year...  We need to start gathering Draft picks to be able to draft the Clemson QB when he comes out... That is very important,, But not as important as finding the right OC,,, IF we don't get that right,, You can forget everything else...... :tiphat:

Spts1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

This might be the dumbest thread of the season. That’s quite an accomplishment 

Actually your take here is the dumb one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should look at only be trading older players or guys that are pretty much busts. Trading a guy like Hooper will hinder our rebuild effort.

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't trade Hoop for less than a 1st or 2nd.  Any team wanting him wants him because they need him.  We can still re-sign him in the offseason or just cut bait.  Even if we've decided to cut bait, we got a 2nd for Sanu.  

We spent a 3rd to get him.  Good teams leverage.  Bad teams don't.  We're a bad team, but I want us to be a good team. Hooper for a 3rd is dumb.

Schwarzwald and Ovie_Lover like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, how is this for a logic...

 

You draft a player in the later rounds and groom him to become a good TE. Then, you decide to trade him for a draft that might not work and you lose on a player that is becoming a pivotal target for Matty. You don’t get rid of a talent that is needed for the TE.

Schwarzwald and NeonDeion like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK man the way Hoop is progressing he could be worth a 1st in a couple years. Speed and deep threat isn't everything the TE GOAT was not that fast. He just caught the ball consistently, knew how to use his body to block out, and could get vertical.

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

This might be the dumbest thread of the season. That’s quite an accomplishment 

Trade Julio and Ryan posts  take the cake. This post isn’t far behind though. Losing sucks, it’s gonna be long year. 

Ovie_Lover and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

He’s not ascending - he is close to his ceiling.

Falcons already have huge investments in their #1 & #2 receiving targets in Julio($22mm/yr) and Ridley(1st rd) who will be re-signed.   Too many other needs and too little salary cap space to overpay for a #3 option that isn’t a playmaker.

Falcons have greater needs at passrusher DE, DT, CB, LB, S and still might need a Center as well.

Jaden Graham has shown great promise and is cost controlled.  Falcons are in worst shape from salary cap standpoint than any team in NFL - that isn’t a good place to be - paying Hooper exacerbates the situation.

No sir.

You assume he will command 9 to 10 mil. I'm betting we could get him for 6 to 7

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sipifalcon said:

They are going to keep Hooper. He's young and ascending.

No way we trade Hooper.  Rebuilding does not require complete destruction.  Keep the young players that produce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, stingbee said:

So, how is this for a logic...

 

You draft a player in the later rounds and groom him to become a good TE. Then, you decide to trade him for a draft that might not work and you lose on a player that is becoming a pivotal target for Matty. You don’t get rid of a talent that is needed for the TE.

Falcons fans don’t want to keep anybody and always complain when we sign anyone. Unless, that player was acquired in free agency from another team and we vastly over pay for them! 

Hooper is not even 25 years old yet! Matt Ryan just spent four years investing into him and Mularkey is helping him take a step up in production.

He is not ascending? He is arguably the best producer right now and we didn’t even have time to throw last weekend! 

You only trade Hooper if you don’t plan on having Matt in two or three years. He is essential to any quick turnaround and any potential to win a Super Bowl with Matt.

One of the reasons we traded Mohammed was because Hooper was the future instead! 

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I wouldn't trade Hoop for less than a 1st or 2nd.  Any team wanting him wants him because they need him.  We can still re-sign him in the offseason or just cut bait.  Even if we've decided to cut bait, we got a 2nd for Sanu.  

We spent a 3rd to get him.  Good teams leverage.  Bad teams don't.  We're a bad team, but I want us to be a good team. Hooper for a 3rd is dumb.

 And if you think he should walk because of a mega deal, that’s a likely third round compensation!

JDaveG and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

This might be the dumbest thread of the season. That’s quite an accomplishment 

If you add Alex Mack, Deion Jones, Devonta Freeman, Mohammad Sanu, and Ricardo Allen, the Falcons top 10 cap hits consume a shocking 73.6% of the cap. (from OTC.com)

 

I feel like the guy that has to walk into the room and tell Muhammad Ali that his career is over.   You aren't living in reality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LouDog said:

You assume he will command 9 to 10 mil. I'm betting we could get him for 6 to 7

Our Top 10 contracts now make up 73.6% of the cap - historically high number per OverTheCap.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Our Top 10 contracts now make up 73.6% of the cap - historically high number per OverTheCap.com

This is before Freeman & Trufant get cut in the off-season! That’s just for starters  and doesn’t consider Alex Mack.

 You don’t let Austin go to keep the actual bad contracts! 

Ovie_Lover, JDaveG and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This is before Freeman & Trufant get cut in the off-season! 

 You don’t let Austin go to keep the actual bad contracts! 

Exactly. You keep Hoop and CUT the bad contracts. It's not rocket science.

Schwarzwald and JDaveG like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This is before Freeman & Trufant get cut in the off-season! That’s just for starters  and doesn’t consider Alex Mack.

 You don’t let Austin go to keep the actual bad contracts! 

Cutting Free and Trufant needs to be done - but it doesn't exactly free up a bunch of money.   Falcons need draft picks right now - lots of'em.  While draft picks aren't sure bets and take time to develop - you have to draft your way out of salary cap h#LL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

Exactly. You keep Hoop and CUT the bad contracts. It's not rocket science.

nope, not rocket science - I agree.

It's math :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Cutting Free and Trufant needs to be done - but it doesn't exactly free up a bunch of money.   Falcons need draft picks right now - lots of'em.  While draft picks aren't sure bets and take time to develop - you have to draft your way out of salary cap h#LL.

Your approach is more like blowing up the whole team and that isn’t necessarily required. 

 Dude, to replace Hooper suddenly you need a first or a second rounder just to draft his replacement! Then, you hope he is at least as good as Austin maybe in three years! Trufant and Freeman free up more money beyond just 2020 man drop it! 

Ovie_Lover and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

nope, not rocket science - I agree.

It's math :rolleyes:

It's fuzzy math because it can be manipulated in a number of fashions.

The main point is this. Sign him now to a contract we can afford. If he doesn't want it let him walk and get the 3rd round pick as compensation for losing him in FA. No real reason to trade him now. Work on moving real deadweight.

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Your approach is more like blowing up the whole team and that isn’t necessarily required. 

 Dude, to replace Hooper suddenly you need a first or a second rounder just to draft his replacement! Then, you hope he is at least as good as Austin maybe in three years! Trufant and Freeman free up more money beyond just 2020 man drop it! 

That’s ridiculous statement.  You need production from passing game but you don’t need the EXACT player.

Did you watch “Moneyball” with Brad Pitt in the opening scene when the scouts and Billy Beane were trying to replace Giambi?  If not, you should.

You don’t try to replace Hoop with exact player - you look at total offensive stats.  With the best #1 and #2 WR combo, you just need a middle of the road TE - especially with a $30mm QB.   We don’t need a $9-10mm TE.

We are card counters at the table. We are loaded up with the high priced guys.   We need VALUE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now