g-dawg

Next Move - Trade Hooper for 3rd rounder

270 posts in this topic

The next move needs to be firing TD and Quinn. I hate Sanu being traded. This feels like someone trashing a house and selling off the landlords left behind furniture (that came with the rental) because they know they are about to be evicted at the end of the month.

You are going to sell off one if the absolute most consistent players on the team (that the next GM and coach would have used the right way) but you hold on the Vic and just now trade Duke (that should have been cut or traded a year or two ago)? 

Bunchy Carter likes this

3 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

The next move needs to be firing TD and Quinn. I hate Sanu being traded. This feels like someone trashing a house and selling off the landlords left behind furniture (that came with the rental) because they know they are about to be evicted at the end of the month.

You are going to sell off one if the absolute most consistent players on the team (that the next GM and coach would have used the right way) but you hold on the Vic and just now trade Duke (that should have been cut or traded a year or two ago)? 

I feel your frustration but Sanu would of been a cap casualty in the offseason it might be sad but it’s the best move at this time just wish it wasn’t patriots we traded him to

"Hoop is good - not great. "

"Third rounder!"

(Oh yeah!) Because the Falcons will draft a GREAT player with a third rounder!

"Jaden Graham has shown great promise and is cost controlled"

(Based solely on his preseason play and comparing him to how bad Stocker is.)

And the arm chair GMs are already making their draft picks. This is hilarious!!

Ovie_Lover likes this

I happen to believe that there is more to Hooper's game than the Falcons have yet to exploit. Hooper plays smart and does have a nose for the goal line if he is targeted. Is he a vertical threat? No, he doesn't have the breakaway speed that few others have, but he does run with power, and he protects the ball. I don't see the Falcons being able to replace Hooper when there are so many other needs to address with the draft. If the Falcons could get good value for Hooper, then maybe you do it, but you the draft picks are only good if you make good choices with them.

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

G I know you want more picks to have more fun on your next mock draft, but this is a really bad idea

Giving Hooper $9mm+ is a worse idea.

Just now, FinalScore2.0 said:

"Hoop is good - not great. "

"Third rounder!"

(Oh yeah!) Because the Falcons will draft a GREAT player with a third rounder!

"Jaden Graham has shown great promise and is cost controlled"

(Based solely on his preseason play and comparing him to how bad Stocker is.)

And the arm chair GMs are already making their draft picks. This is hilarious!!

It makes it more ironic when you realize Hooper is one of our only two good third round picks in the last 8 years. 

For all those that want to hold on to every player on our roster remind me again, what's our record? And how many Super Bowl trophies we won? If we get a 2nd round pick for Hooper trade him, clean house this includes Falcons front office and scouts and load up picks for the next Team President/GM and HC. 

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

It makes it more ironic when you realize Hooper is one of our only two good third round picks in the last 8 years. 

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

look at this link.  I dare ya!

No resigning is done in a vacuum. This isn’t MLB uncapped.

You need to solve the contract vs value to team equation correctly and must also be weighed versus the rest of your team composition and salary cap.   There’s a reason why Belicheck never has salary cap issues - he always has lots of picks AND can add salary/players down the stretch when needed.  He let better players - much better!  than Austin Hooper walk.

Hooper is making all of his yards on little 10 and 15 yard outs as Matt Ryans safety valve. Any TE playing 4 games in this offense would have good numbers. Get real. Half the people on this board could do his job. 

Just now, g-dawg said:

You need to solve the contract vs value to team equation correctly and must also be weighed versus the rest of your team composition and salary cap.   There’s a reason why Belicheck never has salary cap issues - he always has lots of picks AND can add salary/players down the stretch when needed.  He let better players - much better!  than Austin Hooper walk.

They also draft horribly so they don't sign players. Like how we had a great cap situation before DQ got here.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So suddenly TD is Belichick now. OK.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So for all the people that hate Koetter, you do realize he favors the TE position?

Next OC might not.

That'd be a mistake then. 

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

1) what makes you think Hooper becomes the highest paid TE if hes so average like you claim?

2) I think the Sanu trade put the Pat's over the cap. If not they have less than 1mil.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Belichick perhaps has let seemingly better players walk before, sure, but how many of those guys were actually good after leaving the patriots system. Belichick makes 90% of his players what they are. We don’t have Belichick as our coach. Not saying Hooper is on Gronks level, but even Belichick thought a star TE was worth it. Actually, he even signed another in Hernandez. 

vel likes this

If we got a 2nd I would ship him off. I like Hoop but we can't keep paying every solid player large sums of money. Hooper is not elite, don't pay him like such.

Refried Beans likes this

55 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No it’s not.  Tough calls are something the Falcons have been unwilling to do for the last 11yrs.  Paying Hoop $9-10mm/yr on 4-5 yr deal would be more of the same.   

Falcons would have on offense:

QB - $30mm/yr

WR - $22mm/yr

LT - $17mm/yr

OC - $10mm/yr

RB - $8mm/yr (likely cut)

2nd WR (1st rd pick)

RG (1st rd pick)

RT (1st rd pick)

Now you want to add to that a $10mm TE?  Really?

Which sounds like a Belicheck move?  Overpaying for Hoop or trading him?

I get your point. But Belichick paid Hernandez and Gronk. When Welker was already near the top in the NFL for WRs. 

You have a valid argument. As much as I hate to say it, you do. The problem is replacement. Sanu was already replaced by Hooper as the third option. Ridley will be cheap for 2-3 more years. When it's time for his new contract, you can make it work. Him and Hooper will be 28, give you a consistent duo in the passing game for the next half decade plus while Matt and Julio are in their twilight years. 

I'd rather trade Mack in the offseason. Sorry, I'm just not for investing in past production. Hooper right now is pacing the league with Travis Kelce. There have been fewer TEs producing better than him all around this year. He's made strides every single year. I'm paying for that. Move Mack and Freeman before you trade Hooper. Throw Trufant in that. I want guys who are trending towards being productive going forward, not stagnated in their development or trending backwards. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

13 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I happen to believe that there is more to Hooper's game than the Falcons have yet to exploit. Hooper plays smart and does have a nose for the goal line if he is targeted. Is he a vertical threat? No, he doesn't have the breakaway speed that few others have, but he does run with power, and he protects the ball. I don't see the Falcons being able to replace Hooper when there are so many other needs to address with the draft. If the Falcons could get good value for Hooper, then maybe you do it, but you the draft picks are only good if you make good choices with them.

I am a firm believer you never let talent walk for free.

Trading a player for another player or draft pick isn’t letting a player walk for free.

To get 4 years of production for Hoop and then replace the same draft pick (or better) is a good strategy.   Obviously you need to hit on the pick again but you cannot make bad signings and overpay - if you sign Hoop at $9-10mm/yr and he doesn’t perform at the highest TE level year in and year out - then you made a bad decision- you aren’t one of these teams with $50-80mm in cap room.   Falcons were shown to be in worst cap shape in NFL - that isn’t where you want to be as a 1-6 team.   That cap shape is WITHOUT paying Hooper at top of the market.

mqg96 likes this

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

No way we can do better than a 3rd round pick for Hooper, at least a 2nd. But yes with the emergence of Jaeden Graham, Hooper is expendable. Also get Jake "who needs to work for state farm" Matthews the heck out of the building, he blows. Let's start stacking draft picks.

When did Graham emerge? Preseason?

If Matt Ryan is going to be our QB for the next 3-4 years (and that seems like a pretty sure bet), trading away young weapons that he has a rapport with during the twilight of his career in hopes to replace it in the draft is quite the gamble. When a team drafts a guy, the hope is that he one day proves he's worthy of a being paid at least near top dollar at his position. Isn't that why you drafted him in the first place? Hooper isn't the most athletically gifted TE in the league but he has great chemistry with Ryan and they're close. Often times, that's more valuable.