g-dawg

Next Move - Trade Hooper for 3rd rounder

270 posts in this topic

I know you’re trying to think logically without letting player attachment cloud your judgment...but Hooper isn’t a must go.  His CAP won’t be too prohibitive and he and Ryan have a relationship not easily replaced.  I’d give a hard pass on this one, bro.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No it’s not.  Tough calls are something the Falcons have been unwilling to do for the last 11yrs.  Paying Hoop $9-10mm/yr on 4-5 yr deal would be more of the same.   

Falcons would have on offense:

QB - $30mm/yr

WR - $22mm/yr

LT - $17mm/yr

OC - $10mm/yr

RB - $8mm/yr (likely cut)

2nd WR (1st rd pick)

RG (1st rd pick)

RT (1st rd pick)

Now you want to add to that a $10mm TE?  Really?

Which sounds like a Belicheck move?  Overpaying for Hoop or trading him?

Didn't they pay Gronk?

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No it’s not.  Tough calls are something the Falcons have been unwilling to do for the last 11yrs.  Paying Hoop $9-10mm/yr on 4-5 yr deal would be more of the same.   

QB - $30mm/yr

WR - $22mm/yr

LT - $17mm/yr

OC - $10mm/yr

2nd WR (1st rd pick)

RG (1st rd pick)

RT (1st rd pick)

Well.......... the Pats did pay Aaron Hernandez and signed Antonio Brown in which they will probably have to pay him 9mil for not being on the team.

Bill isn't perfect.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

QB - $30mm/yr

WR - $22mm/yr

LT - $17mm/yr

OC - $10mm/yr

2nd WR (1st rd pick)

RG (1st rd pick)

RT (1st rd pick)

Mack will be restructured and extended. He is still good and a great player. I don’t see Cap issues. Atlanta has ways to create cap relieve and get more assets in the draft. 

Hoop is a tough call. Becoming g one of the best TEs  in the league. 

Depending on how we made through cap decisions Hoop might be a player we want to invest in for the future.

I see TATF still stuck in the “overpay everybody” mentality.

We are so out of balance between offensive and defensive spending and assets. People wonder why we have 31st ranked defense.

Austin Hooper isn’t special.  Getting to the pro bowl isn’t that hard for a tight end in the NFC right now.

Why does a $30mn QB need a $22mm #1 WR, a 1st round drafted #2 WR and a $10mm TE to be successful?

mqg96 likes this

20 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Jaeden Graham is not a replacement for Hooper and if the Falcons think that, then they deserve to be fired.

Truth. 

19 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I mean, OP has a point. The falcons have been giving top dollar to a lot of average to above average guys. Freeman, Trufant, etc. Even the Debo and Jarrett contracts don’t look that great at this current moment. That could change though. Im torn. I like Hooper. He’s a decent player. But that’s just it, he’s decent. He’s not a star or a significant difference maker 

Jarret is playing dang good on a sorry team that is easy to lose motivation... and debo does the same... even though sometimes in the game I can see the frustration getting to him.. making him play down to the people around him!

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We are so out of balance between offensive and defensive spending and assets. People wonder why we have 31st ranked defense.

Austin Hooper isn’t special.  Getting to the pro bowl isn’t that hard for a tight end in the NFC right now.

Why does a $30mn QB need a $22mm #1 WR, a 1st round drafted #2 WR and a $10mm TE to be successful?

Where does Hooper rank amongst other TEs this season?

Wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the top this season so far.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Just to respond to the last sentence. Matt didn't sign Julio to that insane contract. He was doing it at an elite level before Julio got here, and he'd be just as good without him with a WR at less than half the price. For any other GM, drafting Calvin would've signaled that they intended to move on from Julio once his contract demands became a problem financially.

Not this bunch. They let emotion cloud everything they do. 

Stop worrying about how much players are being paid.  There is no new CBA in place. It is possible that there could be a strike in 2021 or a lock out or a huge salary cap or no salary cap. Who cares how much money some other dude is making? That's too much to worry about in life. 

Can we just stop!!! 

Next ppl will be saying we should trade Freeman cuz we have Ito............ Hey wait... 

41 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

No way we can do better than a 3rd round pick for Hooper, at least a 2nd. But yes with the emergence of Jaeden Graham, Hooper is expendable. Also get Jake "who needs to work for state farm" Matthews the heck out of the building, he blows. Let's start stacking draft picks.

Lol @ " tH3 3mErg3nC3 0f jA3DeN gR@hAM..."

Y'all sound silly AF.

9 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Jaeden Graham is on the practice squad, if he was the heir apparent he would be active on gameday or another team would have claimed him on waivers.

Ya'll did a similar thing with Saubert last year.

It's amazing how mind numbingly soft headed people are being about this.

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Where are you getting 10mil from? That would make Hooper the highest paid TE and that isn't happening.

37 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

He’s not ascending - he is close to his ceiling.

If his ceiling is best TE in the league, then **** I’ll take it lol. Look at the stats, he’s at the top of every category. While I don’t think TE is the biggest position of value, heck I’d probably say it’s the second least valuable position offensively, but the top teams keep their star TEs. Look at the Pats with Gronk, chiefs with Kelce, Eagles with Ertz, etc. 

Besides, after trading away Hooper, everyone here would just be complaining about how our TE position is garbage for another 5 years just like how they did after Tony G retired. Rather just keep Hooper. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

No way we can do better than a 3rd round pick for Hooper, at least a 2nd. But yes with the emergence of Jaeden Graham, Hooper is expendable. Also get Jake "who needs to work for state farm" Matthews the heck out of the building, he blows. Let's start stacking draft picks.

Emergence of Jaeden Graham?.....lol

He has one reception