Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichardCNile

And so it begins

63 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, SirCzah said:

That playoff game in 2010 is what doomed Smitty.  We immediately stopped building our core and started plugging holes like an overzealous cam girl (or guy if your into that, lol).

Seems familiar somehow. Like it’s now happened twice. 

But Smitty’s gone, so who could be behind.............

2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Could be a good time to bring in a new GM for this job. 

Exactly.

I have been convinced for the last handful of years that MR2 is our John Elway.  He will do good (if not great) things for us and put up HOF numbers, but will only take us to the promised land if he has a stout D and running game to drag him through the bad spots, kicking and screaming, to victory.  We still got plenty of tread on those tires, imo.

We got a second rounder for a guy who rarely impacts the game anymore.  That's not signaling a rebuild, except on defense, potentially. We need that money for other areas. He'd have been out of here regardless in 2020. 

Now trading your QB, that's signaling a rebuild, and that ain't happening. Top QBs are too hard to come by. 

Is it realy time to blow the team up?  There is way too much talent on both sides of the ball for that in my opinion.  I agree a change needs to be made but that change may need to be made at the GM and Head coach levels.  You can have all the talent in the world but if your coach is not quite competent it will never work.  DQ is a fine DC but I just don't think he has what it takes to be a HC.  Much like Saban failed miserably in Miami, you have to know your limitations.  Just one man's opinion. 

19 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Situational Drafts. We screwed up so much in the past, we were forced to draft guys like Beasley and Matthews. Remember the year Green Bay and Rodgers won the Super Bowl? They blew us out in the playoffs. We couldn't stop anything. The only stop we had was on a fumble, and it was going to be a big play. Instead of TD building the defense, he thought that it would be better to improve the Offense. Skilled Player Wise though. He the. Proceeds to trade the draft away to get Julio.

When you draft to chase needs and plug holes every year, you miss out on some good football players and your depth takes a hit. Thats been a problem with the Falcons roster for years.

16 minutes ago, SirCzah said:

Exactly.

I have been convinced for the last handful of years that MR2 is our John Elway.  He will do good (if not great) things for us and put up HOF numbers, but will only take us to the promised land if he has a stout D and running game to drag him through the bad spots, kicking and screaming, to victory.  We still got plenty of tread on those tires, imo.

That is a very good comparison, just hope he isn’t our Dan Marino.

1 hour ago, RichardCNile said:

Sometimes an HGTV makeover just doesn’t get you the value you want.  Sometimes you are better off just bulldozing and starting over on freshly churned ground.

Are you going to Love it?

Or are you going to List it?

Tmodel66 and VTCrunkler like this

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I honestly can’t even say I am looking forward to next season either. 

Smh it feels like we’re at least 2 drafts away i would of never thought after 2016 we would end up here i had so much hope for this season i blamed last year on injuries but if i actually looked at it this team was very flawed 

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Eh, history shows that Blank hiring a new coach was the right call. 3 of his 4 head coaches got to the NFCCG at a minimum. The only one who didn’t had his star QB arrested. I get the frustrations, but I disagree with the cynical approach. Team could be good again next season

Quinn didnt get us there. Fools gold.

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Eh, history shows that Blank hiring a new coach was the right call. 3 of his 4 head coaches got to the NFCCG at a minimum. The only one who didn’t had his star QB arrested. I get the frustrations, but I disagree with the cynical approach. Team could be good again next season

Hypothetically your comment is true. The team could be good again next season.

Hypothetically the team could finish this season 10 - 6.

Edited by FinalScore2.0

I’m I missing a head coach? I know Arthur Blank came in 2002 when Dan Reeves was still here, but Dan Reeves made it to the NFCCG in 1998 when the previous owner was with us. Jim Mora made it in 2004. Mike Smith made it in 2012. Dan Quinn made it in 2016. So yeah those are the 3 tenured head coaches in Atlanta who Blank hired. All of their best seasons happened in the Georgia Dome, with the AFC West on our schedule. We moved to Mercedes Benz Stadium after the 28-3 collapse, and we have salary cap issues coming into next season. Don’t know if it’ll happen now but I hope you’re right.

27 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

Smh it feels like we’re at least 2 drafts away i would of never thought after 2016 we would end up here i had so much hope for this season i blamed last year on injuries but if i
actually looked at it this team was very flawed 

I always thought injuries were too big an excuse for the suckiness of last year. 

If we were the team we thought we were, the defense STILL should have been decent even with the injuries, not Almost as bad as this year(yes, this years D is worse then last).

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I’m I missing a head coach? I know Arthur Blank came in 2002 when Dan Reeves was still here, but Dan Reeves made it to the NFCCG in 1998 when the previous owner was with us. Jim Mora made it in 2004. Mike Smith made it in 2012. Dan Quinn made it in 2016. So yeah those are the 3 tenured head coaches in Atlanta who Blank hired. All of their best seasons happened in the Georgia Dome, with the AFC West on our schedule. We moved to Mercedes Benz Stadium after the 28-3 collapse, and we have salary cap issues coming into next season. Don’t know if it’ll happen now but I hope you’re right.

You are missing Petrino as the guy who didn't make it.

Just now, Malachore said:

You are missing Petrino as the guy who didn't make it.

Dude that’s the most forgettable, but wasn’t he only here for like half a season? 

Eh, history shows that Blank hiring a new coach was the right call. 3 of his 4 head coaches got to the NFCCG at a minimum. The only one who didn’t make it to the NFCCG quit on the team before the season ended. I get the frustrations, but I disagree with the cynical approach. Team could be good again next season

Fixed it for you

falconsd56 likes this

At least it will be interesting.  I remember being a Braves fan in the late 70s and they sucked.  I remember thinking.  "Oh, they have a new catcher today. That will be different." or "Oh neat, Ted Turner is the manager today". With respect to the Falcons. We will be seeing a lot more of Gage.

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Wasn’t talking about Reeves. Blank inherited him.

Blank hired Mora, Petrino, Smitty, and Quinn. 3 of those 4 went to the NFCCG

VTCrunkler likes this

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I always thought injuries were too big an excuse for the suckiness of last year. 

If we were the team we thought we were, the defense STILL should have been decent even with the injuries, not Almost as bad as this year(yes, this years D is worse then last).

If you look at it we over achieved in 2017 getting to the playoffs 2018 was a disaster people look at 7-9 but forget we were 1-4 with red zone issues won 3 strait against trash teams then lost 5 in a row we the ones who made Baker Mayfield “dangerous”

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this