Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconofShadows

2020 Cap Relief Options

42 posts in this topic

I no what you thinking what another cap thread...Well Im bored so I figured ill put options on the table to 2020 some wont make people happy but lets see what we find(all estimates from OTC with estimate of 200m cap room)

Easy ones to start

Player Name         Savings                  Dead Cap

Mohamed Sanu     6.5M                     1.4m

Allen Bailey           4.5m                      1.5m

Ty Sombrailo         3.75m                    2m

Luke Stocker         2.6m                      750k    

Matt Schaub          2m                         375k

(Cap Space would now be roughly 8.5m just enough for draft picks)

Now the team can have up to 2 June 1st cut options, those potential options are

Player Name              Savings               Dead Cap

Ricardo Allen             5.25m                  2.125m

Devonta Freeman      6.5m                    3m

Desmond Trufant      10.75m                 4.4m

Tough Cuts  Player we dont want to go but It may just have to happen

Player Name             Savings                Dead Cap

Alex Mack                 8m                        2.55m

Keanu Neal              6.446m                  0

Restructures Went though the big contracts remaining to see if any potential restructuring (Dont think they do Ryan again so ill avoid his contract)and I only found one feasible contract

Player Name           Savings

Jake Matthew          7.3m

I took the option of Jake Matthews because looking at his contract there is no escaping it until his last year as it is and with the restructuring it doesnt change much except add a couple Million in dead cap in 2023.

If doing all the possible outcomes that I have listed here (Didnt do the Ricardo Allen cut as its not worth it doing as normal Cut and decided on cutting Freeman and Trufant for post June 1st  Gives the team a Salary Cap of 47.5M  but obviously allot of work to do  with 31 players under contract but 2020 will probably be a rebuild year so maybe not the worst plan in the world

quotemokc and PokerSteve like this

I wouldn’t be against replacing Neal. Don’t ask “with who” because I can’t answer that but I wouldn’t cry if they rescind the 5th year option. Mack is a toss up IMO. The rest that you named outside of Matthews I can agree with 

PokerSteve and Osiruz like this

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I wouldn’t be against replacing Neal. Don’t ask “with who” because I can’t answer that but I wouldn’t cry if they rescind the 5th year option. Mack is a toss up IMO. The rest that you named outside of Matthews I can agree with 

The only thing Im not to sure of is since Neal is injured that does mean is guarantee kicks in for his 5th year options as they say the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury 

Just now, FalconofShadows said:

The only thing Im not to sure of is since Neal is injured that does mean is guarantee kicks in for his 5th year options as they say the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury 

I’m not familiar with the language outside of the money being guaranteed but I do know it can be rescinded before a certain date

Roughly, if we did half of this for 23.75M or 3/4 for 33+M? Got to think that some of the absolutes of this list would make up close to half. Hmmm

What about Carpenter and Brown? If recall +/- is plus for moving on

Schweitzer?

Wonder how many of "talented" roster will be out of league next year.

2 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Roughly, if we did half of this for 23.75M or 3/4 for 33+M? Got to think that some of the absolutes of this list would make up close to half. Hmmm

What about Carpenter and Brown? If recall +/- is plus for moving on

Schweitzer?

Wonder how many of "talented" roster will be out of league next year.

I do believe Brown saves us the most money between the 2. From there, I would say keep Bailey & Mack. Let the rest walk I guess. See if Neal would take less for an extension. If not, I think we just move on. Definitely restructure Jack.

17 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I do believe Brown saves us the most money between the 2. From there, I would say keep Bailey & Mack. Let the rest walk I guess. See if Neal would take less for an extension. If not, I think we just move on. Definitely restructure Jack.

Crawford is a FA next year so no restructuring him if that is who you meant by Jack.  But for this upcoming 2020 season neither Brown or Carpenter save us money even as a June 1st cut

4 minutes ago, stizz said:

I'm a fan of TD, but when you learn that scrubs like Bosher and Schwietzer combined to make 5M this year you really have to question the money he's handing out. 

Schweizer is on a rookie deal which is why he makes his 2m or so nothing you can do on that thata the rookie scaling system 

Just now, FalconofShadows said:

Schweizer is on a rookie deal which is why he makes his 2m or so nothing you can do on that thata the rookie scaling system 

Beasley is still on his rookie deal, doesn't mean he should be making 13M. If a player's worth is more than their production, might be time to let them go.

Tmodel66 and Osiruz like this

Just now, stizz said:

Beasley is still on his rookie deal, doesn't mean he should be making 13M. If a player's worth is more than their production, might be time to let them go.

Yeah but there's a big difference between the two players contract. And as though many of us aren't fans of him he is the ok only backup they have who can play center so it's not the worst contract for his final year 

30 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

Crawford is a FA next year so no restructuring him if that is who you meant by Jack.  But for this upcoming 2020 season neither Brown or Carpenter save us money even as a June 1st cut

Meant Jake Matthew's. I know Carpenter didn't save anything. Could've sworn Brown did. Guess not.

14 minutes ago, stizz said:

Schweitzer is our Garland. Multi purpose guy. I really wish he could block or at least help our QB up after he got him injured. 

8 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Schweitzer is our Garland. Multi purpose guy. I really wish he could block or at least help our QB up after he got him injured. 

If he can't block or even help our QB up then I think I would refer to him as our "no-purpose" guy.

thanat0s and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

If he can't block or even help our QB up then I think I would refer to him as our "no-purpose" guy.

Agreed but he plays G and C or I guess I should say he lines up there. Basically saves a roster spot and money by being able to “play” both. 

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yeah, I think Neal should be in these discussions due to the twin injuries. It's a brutal sport for players who go through consecutive seasons of limited play. Neal would save us $6.5 million. It really, really sucks for him, but a losing team with new personnel people and salary cap issues would cut someone in his situation without a second thought.

ya_boi_j and PokerSteve like this

you can't post June Cut next offseason unless a new CBA is reached

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

In the Final League Year, there are no post-June 1 release designations. A team in our example dealing with the same problem next year would have to absorb the full dead-money hit no matter when it released the player. It makes sense when you think about it: Why would you make it easier for a team to release a player by allowing it to defer a cap hit into a season that might never even happen?

Vandy likes this

My cuts / trades:

1.Trade 'Fart ($4.4M dead cap) but cap savings of $10.75m.

2.cut Neal $6.75m cap savings.

3. Stocker $3.2750 savings

4. Allen Bailey $4.5M savings (post June 1st)

5. Sambrailo (post June 1st) $4.750

6. Trade Defumblè freeman $6.5 savings. Creates $3M in dead cap for 2 seasons but has to be done either way as we must draft Swift. 

Total savings $36.5M.

Top 51: roughly $171,339,000

Dead cap: $12,774,333

Total amount = $184,079,000

Cap space = $18M.

Since it looks like Quinn will be riding out the season, next year will be a rebuild.  We should rip off that dead cap band-aid now (like we should have last year).

1 hour ago, Embrace the suck said:

My cuts / trades:

1.Trade 'Fart ($4.4M dead cap) but cap savings of $10.75m.

2.cut Neal $6.75m cap savings.

3. Stocker $3.2750 savings

4. Allen Bailey $4.5M savings (post June 1st)

5. Sambrailo (post June 1st) $4.750

6. Trade Defumblè freeman $6.5 savings. Creates $3M in dead cap for 2 seasons but has to be done either way as we must draft Swift. 

Total savings $36.5M.

Top 51: roughly $171,339,000

Dead cap: $12,774,333

Total amount = $184,079,000

Cap space = $18M.

And with a few extra cuts and trades (Sanu) we could be in a better cap place. Not necessarily a winning record but a start. 

6 hours ago, Romfal said:

you can't post June Cut next offseason unless a new CBA is reached

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

In the Final League Year, there are no post-June 1 release designations. A team in our example dealing with the same problem next year would have to absorb the full dead-money hit no matter when it released the player. It makes sense when you think about it: Why would you make it easier for a team to release a player by allowing it to defer a cap hit into a season that might never even happen?

I knew I forgot to put something in my header. I wanted to put an * of this is a best case scenario if a CBA gets done. Funnily enough I'm usually the one reminding people of the no post june 1st cuts in conversations with people

Romfal likes this

6 hours ago, jidady said:

Yeah, I think Neal should be in these discussions due to the twin injuries. It's a brutal sport for players who go through consecutive seasons of limited play. Neal would save us $6.5 million. It really, really sucks for him, but a losing team with new personnel people and salary cap issues would cut someone in his situation without a second thought.

The best case scenario with Keanu would be to cut him prior to the league year, which would eliminate the chance his salary is guaranteed due to injury.  But, we would then look to resign him to a new agreement, which would be more in line with his injury risk.  As long as he passes physical and get back into football shape.