g-dawg

Fixing the Falcons - sneak peak into offseason, free agency and draft

84 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Falcons In 2012 said:

A solid coaching hire across the board and we have the talent to win in 2020.  It’s not for lack of talent.  We need depth and a new voice

The Falcons should’ve signed Spain instead of Carpenter.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

The Falcons should’ve signed Spain instead of Carpenter.

You, @FalconFanSince1970 and I wanted Spain bad last offseason.  He was a low risk high reward player coming off an injury. But once healthy he is a road grader and ideal for our offense.  

I forget what he signed for but it was pennies on the dollar.  Players like him are how you win free agency

vitaman, Vandy, Cole World and 1 other like this

35 minutes ago, Falcons In 2012 said:

You, @FalconFanSince1970 and I wanted Spain bad last offseason.  He was a low risk high reward player coming off an injury. But one healthy he is a road grader and ideal for our offense.  

I forget what he signed for but it was pennies on the dollar.  Players like him or how you win free agency

BUF signed Spain for $2.1M. Dimi signed Carpenter for $2.9M. Thru seven games, Spain's PFF score is 12.9 points higher than Carpenter's. Troffed.

Vandy, FalconsIn2012 and Cole World like this

If  there is one thing I am sure of it is that we will find a way to not get Chase Young or the Dolphins will just take him at #1 and wait for a QB another year.

I wouldn’t blow it all up, not with Julio and ryan still playing at high levels. That plus most people were saying 3 months ago we have one of most talented rosters in nfl. 

Biggest problem on this team is coaching. I’ve been saying that for over two years now.

Get a new coach in here with a vision of how to win with Matt/Julio and let him decide who to keep and let go. Bring in young, innovative coordinators together with some seasoned position coaches who can teach fundamentals. Yes, some will be kicked out the door (Beasley for sure) but blowing it all up just for sake of doing that is just an (over)reaction to a very bad year. The cubbard’s not completely bare, even on D you’ve got two young studs (Debo and Grady) to build off of. This is still a fairly young team on D. We’re going to have a chance to add some playmakers from upcoming draft to an already talented core. A couple home runs in the draft (see 2016) together with a  couple key free agent additions who know how to win (ala Dwight Freeney) together with a new coaching staff who have actual strategic game plans would do wonders. 

Coaching matters. Look what Smitty and his staff did in 2008 after the cluster-f*** of the year before.  And this team is more talented than that one was. It just needs to believe in itself again, which is what smith and his staff did with that 2008 team. 

Dolphins are definitely going to take a QB at one. They gave up on the Rosen experiment in about 3 games, that is telling.

if we can’t get Young, AJ Epenesa is gonna be real good. His stats aren’t as impressive, but he has played better comp and gets doubled every snap it seems. He single handedly wrecked havoc when PSU played Iowa

also like Gross-Matos from PSU as a very well rounded DE, but he would be a trade down in 1, or maybe trade up from high 2.

G, i would get rid of the guys you mentioned as well. May add Mack to the list ($8M in savings)...but I would be trying to make trades. nothing wrong w stockpiling draft picks, even if they are mid-late rounders.

still not sold on moving on from Hooper, unless he prices himself out...but would definitely try to negotiate a deal. If he prices himself out, then you should be looking at a round 3-4 pick.

i am also ok with trading Takk if the price is right. He seems to be in serious decline.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Solid coaching hires across the board and we have the talent to win in 2020.  It’s not for lack of talent.  We need depth and a new voice

It’s coaching but it’s more than that.  2020 is a fantasy 

Well I guess it's not Chase Young or we're screwed.

""Young is more athletic by a hair and gets more hype," an NFL scout tells Bleacher Report. "But I bet Epenesa is the better pro. There's some J.J. Watt to his game"

He  also had offers to go to both Alabama and Ohio State for what it's worth. Had family ties to Iowa.

Thinking out of the box here... trade Ryan ... and pick up a ransom of 1st round(s)... and draft a QB in this year QB year and free up the big money tied up in Ryan's contract. Get a more mobile QB in this year or next year which will work well with the current OL.

Yea this is a crazy idea but... with Ryan we're good for 3 more years but with heavy cap hits.

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

I wouldn’t blow it all up, not with Julio and ryan still playing at high levels. That plus most people were saying 3 months ago we have one of most talented rosters in nfl. 

Biggest problem on this team is coaching. I’ve been saying that for over two years now.

Get a new coach in here with a vision of how to win with Matt/Julio and let him decide who to keep and let go. Bring in young, innovative coordinators together with some seasoned position coaches who can teach fundamentals. Yes, some will be kicked out the door (Beasley for sure) but blowing it all up just for sake of doing that is just an (over)reaction to a very bad year. The cubbard’s not completely bare, even on D you’ve got two young studs (Debo and Grady) to build off of. This is still a fairly young team on D. We’re going to have a chance to add some playmakers from upcoming draft to an already talented core. A couple home runs in the draft (see 2016) together with a  couple key free agent additions who know how to win (ala Dwight Freeney) together with a new coaching staff who have actual strategic game plans would do wonders. 

Coaching matters. Look what Smitty and his staff did in 2008 after the cluster-f*** of the year before.  And this team is more talented than that one was. It just needs to believe in itself again, which is what smith and his staff did with that 2008 team. 

Saying a team is "one of most talented" and then that being the actual case is not the same thing.

8 minutes ago, rudy said:

Thinking out of the box here... trade Ryan ... and pick up a ransom of 1st round(s)... and draft a QB in this year QB year and free up the big money tied up in Ryan's contract. Get a more mobile QB in this year or next year which will work well with the current OL.

Yea this is a crazy idea but... with Ryan we're good for 3 more years but with heavy cap hits.

Dude, this is not Madden or Fantasy Football. Do you understand that Matt Ryan‘s new contract was guaranteed about 90%. The Falcons are already invested. They are already married to Matt Ryan via guaranteed Money. These new contracts are not like old contracts.

Edited by stingbee
Diggable Birds and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

Dude, this is not Madden or Fantasy Football. Do you understand that Matt Ryan‘s new contract was guaranteed about 90%. The Falcons are already invested. They are already married to Matt Ryan via guaranteed Money. These new contracts are not like old contracts.

This is correct - It leaves us no choice but to invest heavily in an OL.  And not just any OL - If we're married to Matt for the foreseeable future, which we indeed are - We need to put together one of THE BEST OL in the league for the foreseeable future.  He just is not mobile enough at this point in his career to get the ball out of there before the fat bodies come crashing down all over him.  He will perform when protected WELL, ala Brady and Dak. 

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

Again I said "trade" not cut. So the new team would inherit his contract.

Don't get me wrong. I like Ryan but with the cap space we have and seeing how we need so much help on the D, this is just one option.

Hoop isnt stretching the field he is a possession guy. You got julio getting doubled and ridley draws attention.  You can find what hoop does for cheap. He also cant run block.

g-dawg likes this

I like Hooper but would not overpay (which he'll probably want). It helps any TE or WR on our roster with Julio drawing so much attention. Yes, Hoop has chemistry with Matt and has produced, but fixating on a player we have to have ends up with a Devonta situation. 

Good thread, but I rather trade Fart, and Defumblè than cut both. Gotta stick up on hight picks. Trade up those 2 seconds and move up to the first to take DeAndre Swift after we take Chase Young. 

18 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Mack is playing with one arm 

Mack is going to be 34-35 next season. This year he is playing with one arm next year may be on one leg. Time to move on from him, he was bad last season too. We could plug Gono at center and it wouldn't make that big of a difference at this point in time. 

Falcons haven't had an elite edge rusher since John Abraham. Chase Young will give the Falcons that elite rusher coming off the edge that they desperately need. Trade Sanu, Hooper, Vic, Mack, Trufant - stockpile the draft picks. Get strong in the trenches and secondary. Falcons can contend again.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

Hoop isnt stretching the field he is a possession guy. You got julio getting doubled and ridley draws attention.  You can find what hoop does for cheap. He also cant run block.

Ridley and Sanu have been mostly single covered all year long and Rids hasn't produced. How do you think he'll perform when he becomes our only other passing option outside of Julio? Our offense isn't going to be a factor if all we have is Julio double teamed and Ridley who has been looking more and more like a bust on the other side failing to beat single coverage. Hooper has been the hardest working Falcon on offense the last three years and has seen his production take a huge leap every season. This year he has a very good chance at leading all NFL tight ends in TDs and yards, and is currently the top rated Tight End per PFF. He is also just turning 25 and has had a completely clean bill of health. He isn't the injury risk Freeman was. The only way you even entertain passing on extending Hoop is if Rid completely balls out in the second half of the season. Otherwise it's completely stupid. 

For a team with holes up and down the roster creating another hole to fill makes no sense whatsoever. The notion that it's easy to find a tight end that produces 1,200 yards and 8+ TDs is absurd, no matter how many of those yards are garbage stats or a product of double teamed wide receiver. Tony G played on a team with 2 star wide-outs who both drew double coverage and didn't get near those numbers,  so let's not act like we are going to plug in the guy who barely made the team this year and see a third of that production, because it's not going to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Ridley and Sanu have been mostly single covered all year long and Rids hasn't produced. How do you think he'll perform when he becomes our only other passing option outside of Julio? Our offense isn't going to be a factor if all we have is Julio double teamed and Ridley who has been looking more and more like a bust on the other side failing to beat single coverage. Hooper has been the hardest working Falcon on offense the last three years and has seen his production take a huge leap every season. This year he has a very good chance at leading all NFL tight ends in TDs and yards, and is currently the top rated Tight End per PFF. He is also just turning 25 and has had a completely clean bill of health. He isn't the injury risk Freeman was. The only way you even entertain passing on extending Hoop is if Rid completely balls out in the second half of the season. Otherwise it's completely stupid. 

For a team with holes up and down the roster creating another hole to fill makes no sense whatsoever. The notion that it's easy to find a tight end that produces 1,200 yards and 8+ TDs is absurd, no matter how many of those yards are garbage stats or a product of double teamed wide receiver. Tony G played on a team with 2 star wide-outs who both drew double coverage and didn't get near those numbers,  so let's not act like we are going to plug in the guy who barely made the team this year and see a third of that production, because it's not going to happen. 

Image result for what the fuck gif

ATL.gif
HOO570770.png

Austin Hooper   #81 TE

Atlanta Falcons | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4   Weight: 254   Age: 24

Born: 10/29/1994 San Mateo , CA

College: Stanford

Experience: 4th season

High School: De La Salle HS [Concord, CA]

RECEIVING
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
2019 Atlanta Falcons 7 46 526 11.4 75.1 30 4 5 0 26 0

2018 Atlanta Falcons 16 71 660 9.3 41.2 36 4 7 0 30 0

2017 Atlanta Falcons 16 49 526 10.7 32.9 88T 3 5 2 18 0

2016 Atlanta Falcons 14 19 271 14.3 19.4 44 3 4 2 16 0

TOTAL 53 185 1,983 10.7 37.4 88 14 21 4 90 0

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Saying a team is "one of most talented" and then that being the actual case is not the same thing.

No it’s not but there’s still alot of good pieces to work with and it may be advantageous for whoever comes in next to have the extra draft picks and high draft position.

I look at Julio Jones right now and to me he’s been under used all **** season.

Frees been asked to find his yards snide when we’ve drafted a big back who can’t even make game day roster.

Deion Jones has disappeared 

Jarrett been asked to fight doubles all game it’s just madness what these coaches are doing