g-dawg

Fixing the Falcons - sneak peak into offseason, free agency and draft

84 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I mean I thought I did. I don't see Hooper as a complete TE. He's good enough as a blocker. He's yet to put a 1,000 yard season yet. Guess it could change this year, we'll see.

Trey Burton is getting 8 million and he's probably the best blocking TE in the league, and has just as much receiving ability as Hooper. Chicago doesn't use him for obvious reasons(QB).

I don't see how Hoop justifies getting more when he's not even on par with Burton as a blocker, and more of a receiving TE. That's why I say 6 million with incentives for more. If he wants more, then let someone give him Ertz/Kelce money. He's not that dynamic though.

Here is my answer to you on where the contract goes:

”Whose next?”

Until Julio’s contract re-do got done he was the FOURTEENTH highest paid WR since he signed his original deal in 2016.

Contracts are escalating quickly.  Kirk Cousins was the highest paid QB for a minute as well over Hall of Famers.

Your dreaming if you believe Hoop and agent take a $6mm/yr deal.  The contract for whoever signs him will be regrettable.

Hoop's not a star, but you have to keep him or Sanu.  Makes sense to keep the younger guy at the harder position to find.

It's confusing what we need from an offseason because everything has looked so bad.  I truly do think coaches who competently scheme will make a big difference.

A big question mark is the OL.  If it's settled once Lindstrom comes back, we can do things.  If we still have problems there, it's a real problem.

On defense we're going to need a legit DE, corner, safety and probably LB and DT.  That's a lot of holes to fill, too many with no salary cap room.  So they're going to have to hit on 3 draft picks that can play year 1 (say DE, corner, Safety...which is a big ask) and try to work around the other deficiencies.

What a weird predicament.

g-dawg and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

It would be funny to let Hooper walk as he is one of the few players drafted in the last few years that has risen from nothing to be a legit pro bowler at his position. Because we are the Falcons that is probably what we will do and he will have a HOF career somewhere else.

Even IF we ended up with the #1 pick in the next draft do you REALLY trust that the Falcons front office would make the right pick.....even at #1?

Edited by JG2008

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Here is my answer to you on where the contract goes:

”Whose next?”

Until Julio’s contract re-do got done he was the FOURTEENTH highest paid WR since he signed his original deal in 2016.

Contracts are escalating quickly.  Kirk Cousins was the highest paid QB for a minute as well over Hall of Famers.

Your dreaming if you believe Hoop and agent take a $6mm/yr deal.  The contract for whoever signs him will be regrettable.

And as I said, if he wants to be paid $8.5 mm/yr, that will be someone else's problem. I don't see TD or whoever is GM justifying paying top dollar for him when he's not a complete package or elite like Kelce/Ertz. I mean there will probably be a desperate team out there for sure.

5 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Hoop's not a star, but you have to keep him or Sanu.  Makes sense to keep the younger guy at the harder position to find.

It's confusing what we need from an offseason because everything has looked so bad.  I truly do think coaches who competently scheme will make a big difference.

A big question mark is the OL.  If it's settled once Lindstrom comes back, we can do things.  If we still have problems there, it's a real problem.

On defense we're going to need a legit DE, corner, safety and probably LB and DT.  That's a lot of holes to fill, too many with no salary cap room.  So they're going to have to hit on 3 draft picks that can play year 1 (say DE, corner, Safety...which is a big ask) and try to work around the other deficiencies.

What a weird predicament.

Lots of issues - best two players over age 30 and the one unit we focused on in offseason (offensive line) is a mess.

No super clear path forward.

if you can get this 6'5", 265lb monster that can rush the passer or blow up running plays - Chase Young, DE - Ohio State - then do it!!!!

We'll not be drafting high enough. As soon as we're mathematically out of the playoffs we will win out. We always do that so we won't have to draft someone good.

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

And as I said, if he wants to be paid $8.5 mm/yr, that will be someone else's problem. I don't see TD or whoever is GM justifying paying top dollar for him when he's not a complete package or elite like Kelce/Ertz. I mean there will probably be a desperate team out there for sure.

Yeah but I am living in contract reality while you and others are living in fantasy candy land.

Thus me saying we move on from Hooper.

Everyone’s first instinct is “keep Hooper” - you always want to keep your good players.

Now everyone regrets the Trufant and Freeman deals and they were good players when we signed their extensions as well.

3 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

We'll not be drafting high enough. As soon as we're mathematically out of the playoffs we will win out. We always do that so we won't have to draft someone good.

Yeah that is our modus operandi.  This year feels different.   Our NFL defense is giving up 33ppg.

That is epically bad.    Our really good QB has ankle sprain and getting hit 10 times per game.

I don't know if I agree with the premise that our roster can't be better utilized with better coaching tbh.

Prior to this season unfolding I didn't hear much disagreement that the roster was loaded with talent.

Now that we're 1-6 we're in a rebuild and have multiple holes? It may be true but just seems a bit backwards from just 3 months ago.

32 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Lots of issues - best two players over age 30 and the one unit we focused on in offseason (offensive line) is a mess.

No super clear path forward.

No.  Your best shot is a good offensive scheme if the OL is at all tenable, because you should be able to have a top 5-10 offense (like they've been nearly every year) with just an OK O -line and a good scheme.  And then you'll have to build the defense again (though that's what was supposed to be happening the last 5 years) and hope they can be a top 15 or 20 unit immediately with better scheme, a DE and a corner.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah but I am living in contract reality while you and others are living in fantasy candy land.

Thus me saying we move on from Hooper.

Everyone’s first instinct is “keep Hooper” - you always want to keep your good players.

Now everyone regrets the Trufant and Freeman deals and they were good players when we signed their extensions as well.

I didnt want to keep Trufant after 2016. Defense improved in his absence. Just cant get rid of Sanu and Hooper. We neef a physical posession guy. Young definitely needs to be the pick though.

38 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I didnt want to keep Trufant after 2016. Defense improved in his absence. Just cant get rid of Sanu and Hooper. We neef a physical posession guy. Young definitely needs to be the pick though.

Sanu is definitely a goner

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I will keep asking you all the same question 

“How much are you willing to pay to retain Hooper?”

no one wants to answer this question.

$9-10M. Falcons need to get it done!     Especially with Sanu leaving. Hooper has always been underrated, and even more so by yourself. He has developed great hands, has great length, great balance, very good routes, a-typical TE body that can run through backfield defenders, does not get hurt, and last but not least he is becoming clutch. Is there anything else we need to add to make a case for a decent TE?

47 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

$9-10M. Falcons need to get it done!     Especially with Sanu leaving. Hooper has always been underrated, and even more so by yourself. He has developed great hands, has great length, great balance, very good routes, a-typical TE body that can run through backfield defenders, does not get hurt, and last but not least he is becoming clutch. Is there anything else we need to add to make a case for a decent TE?

That is a realistic figure and it can absolutely NOT be paid.   Too much money already not invested on lines of scrimmage.

If Falcons pay $9-10mm/yr to Hooper I never want to hear those that wanna pay that to beotch about the defense and lines of scrimmage.   You’re not serious.

cblack likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That is a realistic figure and it can absolutely NOT be paid.   Too much money already not invested on lines of scrimmage.

If Falcons pay $9-10mm/yr to Hooper I never want to hear those that wanna pay that to beotch about the defense and lines of scrimmage.   You’re not serious.

Getting rid of Beasley (which will help Takk on the other side), the draft, and resigning Davison will help the DL. A year of maturation for the 1st rounders from this year, along with Gono's development will greatly improve the OL. There will also be money next year, with the Cap increasing by $10M, restructurings, June 1st cuts, etc.

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Are you willing to pay $8.5mm per year for Austin Hooper?

It’s easy to say “keep him” without attaching money and cap space to a player.

I like Hooper as well but he is not a difference maker - he’s not Kelce, not Ertz, not Gronk - not even Olsen in his prime.   

Falcons don’t have the money to overpay for a nice piece who isn’t a difference maker.   

I would certainly take him at 8.5 million.  Back-to-back pro bowl’s and 25 years old.  Anything under 10 million (6 million CAP hit next year) is a deal.  I do like the rest of your projection

Hopefully we draft good the next 2 years and get out of this cap helI we seem to be headed to wide as$ open.. If we're lucky, we can rebound by 2021

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/

Are you willing to pay $8.5mm per year for Austin Hooper?

It’s easy to say “keep him” without attaching money and cap space to a player.

I like Hooper as well but he is not a difference maker - he’s not Kelce, not Ertz, not Gronk - not even Olsen in his prime.   

Falcons don’t have the money to overpay for a nice piece who isn’t a difference maker.   

spot on here mate! Lets see if he can put up the same numbers over the whole year before we put his name anywhere near all pro. Same people talking bout Julio is killing the cap now wanna give a tight end 10 mill a year........ I kinda like Graham even with his small sample size and he would be cap friendly for a couple of years. Matt Ryan will be first ballot some here think so de dosent need all pros at every freakin skill position. Hooper is eating as the 3rd option right now, I wager those numbers take a dive if he saw the attention that a number one or two like a Kelce, or Gronk gets.

Edited by cblack
g-dawg likes this

6 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I mean I thought I did. I don't see Hooper as a complete TE. He's good enough as a blocker. He's yet to put a 1,000 yard season yet. Guess it could change this year, we'll see.

Trey Burton is getting 8 million and he's probably the best blocking TE in the league, and has just as much receiving ability as Hooper. Chicago doesn't use him for obvious reasons(QB).

I don't see how Hoop justifies getting more when he's not even on par with Burton as a blocker, and more of a receiving TE. That's why I say 6 million with incentives for more. If he wants more, then let someone give him Ertz/Kelce money. He's not that dynamic though.

A better receiving TE is always going to get paid more than a better blocking TE. 

4 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Hopefully we draft good the next 2 years and get out of this cap helI we seem to be headed to wide as$ open.. If we're lucky, we can rebound by 2021

Solid coaching hires across the board and we have the talent to win in 2020.  It’s not for lack of talent.  We need depth and a new voice

Vandy and Hurry_Up_And_Buy like this