Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carter

UGA Basketball 2019-2020

it's a good thing we are in a on lot of transfers..  this recruiting class looks good (top 25), but i wish we had a few more high schoolers in the mix and less juco kids. 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

it's a good thing we are in a on lot of transfers..  this recruiting class looks good (top 25), but i wish we had a few more high schoolers in the mix and less juco kids. 

Yeah, I wonder if we are not even recruiting Dylan Cardwell and J T Thor anymore.   I think Crean realizes he needs to get this team to the tournament in the next couple of years if he wants to stay around long term so looks like more jucos and transfers than HS kids who may need a year or 2 to develop.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 007dawg said:

Yeah, I wonder if we are not even recruiting Dylan Cardwell and J T Thor anymore.   I think Crean realizes he needs to get this team to the tournament in the next couple of years if he wants to stay around long term so looks like more jucos and transfers than HS kids who may need a year or 2 to develop.

To be fair, that's probably coherent with what the fans would want as well. Take a low risk path by getting yourself the best bet at the tourney in the next 2 years. It takes a very long time to build a winning program, and even an explosion like Antman here or there won't make as much of a difference currently.

Edited by AutumnEffect

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

To be fair, that's probably coherent with what the fans would want as well. Take a low risk path by getting yourself the best bet at the tourney in the next 2 years. It takes a very long time to build a winning program, and even an explosion like Antman here or there won't make as much of a difference currently.

Yeah, the transfer game has really changed recruiting in cbb.   You have to look at each class from the standpoint of who can I sign, even for 1 year, that will help me make the tournament THIS year.   Trying to get players who need 2-3 years to develop is going by the wayside.   If the NCAA enacts the 1 free transfer without sitting out rule, then you will have half the team leaving each year.  Fruit-basket turnover.   Whatever coach does the best job of picking fruit in a particular year will be the successful ones.

5 hours ago, 007dawg said:

it sounds like caldwell is a no go which was why we took mcmillan and are targeting a few more bigs who are transfers.. jt thor i havne't heard a lot about so i don't know there, but it sounds like it's going to be transfers for the rest of the class. 

Posted (edited)
Palmer ThombsSTAFF
Posted on 10 hrs, , User Since 64 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 10 hrs
  • 64 months

I did a piece on this last week and since then, several of the targets have chosen their destinations. Also two more names have popped up on the radar. Figured I would give you all an update.

Wofford's Chevez Goodwin committed to USC. Pittsburgh's Trey McGowens committed to Nebraska. Rider's Dimencio Vaughn committed to Ole Miss. Rhode Island's Tyrese Martin committed to UConn. The latter two UGA made their final cut.

That leaves Alex O'Connell (Duke), Darius Banks (James Madison), Darius Perry (Louisville) and Jonah Antonio (UNLV) still on the board from my original post. Also, Jeriah Horne of Tulsa and Luther Muhammad of Ohio State have entered the transfer portal since last week. They both have been contacted by Georgia and Muhammad included the Dawgs in his final eight schools.

Horne drawing interest from Arkansas, Colorado, Dayton, Georgetown, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech and Xavier along with UGA while Muhammad's list of eight include UGA, Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, New Mexico, Seton Hall, UCLA and West Virginia.

Palmer ThombsSTAFF
Posted on 10 hrs, , User Since 64 months ago, User Post Count: 1,697
  • 10 hrs
  • 64 months

Worth noting that Perry, Antonio and Horne would be eligible immediately as graduate transfers while the others would have to sit one before playing.

Edited by 95Dawg

5 hours ago, 007dawg said:

I wonder how much we are in it for Landers Nolley?    Dude can score the basketball and is a former UGA commit (albeit briefly)

I hope we are in it well.  We sure could use his scoring.

Posted (edited)
Monkdawg1
Posted on 84 mins, , User Since 172 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 84 mins
  • 172 months

McClain has an impressive background, having coached with Crean in the past and been head man at Wyoming for 9 years and at UIC (Illinois-Chicago) for the last 5. He was fairly successful at each, though he ended up being fired from both. This seems to be a great hire from a braintrust standpoint, but I don't know what recruiting connections he might have in the SE. This looks like a comfortable hire for Crean; they worked together for 5 years at IU and had great success. McClain has a reputation for being very intense on the sidelines and being a good recruiter.

https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20200421/tom-crean-turning-to-one-of-his-former-assistants-for-uga-staff

Edited by 95Dawg