Goober Pyle

Dirk Koetter: Falcons offense played its worst game

45 posts in this topic

Dirk has been a disappointment as far as I am concerned. Sark was smart enough to use a short passing game to help us win in the playoffs. Dirk kept calling long developing pass plays and trying to get Ryan killed. He eventually got injured which could have been worse.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is that arrogance I was talking about. Koetter doesn't seem to think any of this was his fault. Maybe 5 step dropbacks and long developing routes aren't the best idea when the Rams are pass rushing every snap.

Wasn't all Mcgary, for what it's worth. He took Matthews out behind the woodshed too.

Yep, I think someone mentioned (and I agree) I’d rather let Knapp runn his wick slant west coast rest of year and see if this offense can get some consistent tempo and may, just perhaps run those stretch plays a ltl.  Our poor line cannot hold up long enough for these routes to develop, routes getting jumped and everyone ignores our non existent run game.  At least we might keep this trash offense off field and extra few min a game.  

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Well he was..... Just 13 years earlier than dude thinks he was

He was the interim HC when Dan REEVES got fired. 

falcons007 likes this

3 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Yep, I think someone mentioned (and I agree) I’d rather let Knapp runn his wick slant west coast rest of year and see if this offense can get some consistent tempo and may, just perhaps run those stretch plays a ltl.  Our poor line cannot hold up long enough for these routes to develop, routes getting jumped and everyone ignores our non existent run game.  At least we might keep this trash offense off field and extra few min a game.  

That was me. I thought I was wrong for a few weeks. 

Now I think I was right again :(

2 hours ago, falconfan2 said:

Wade Phillips was the defensive coach for the falcons before DQ took over play calling during the SB. Coach Phillips was replaced the following year.  

Dan Quinn's defense vs Wade Phillips defense Sunday. I am not speaking of players only scheme. I want the attacking defense. They were not wearing red uniforms.

What the heck you talking about?

3 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said they don’t know how much time Ryan will miss and they won’t put him back out on the field until he’s fully ready.

In other words get me an offensive line or i'm sitting out, wise chose on Ryan's part. F that S. when drafting for an O-Line is on the backburner 3-13 is the result.

3 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

The Falcon's are not going to be a tax write-off no matter how bad they perform this season.

Are you their CPA?

looking at the empty seats and cheap food in stadium ....I dont see how they could make money off Falcons?

4 hours ago, falconfan2 said:

Wade Phillips was the defensive coach for the falcons before DQ took over play calling during the SB. Coach Phillips was replaced the following year.  

Dan Quinn's defense vs Wade Phillips defense Sunday. I am not speaking of players only scheme. I want the attacking defense. They were not wearing red uniforms.

Lmao Wade Phillips ain’t been here since Michael Vick was on the cover of Madden

JDaveG likes this

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

This was one game to lean on D and run the ball. Rams with a lead were gonna go after Ryan.

Hate to say I told you so...

Koetter is allergic to running the ball. I wonder how often they even practice it. I remember they said Kyle would dedicate an entire day of practice to running the ball.

3 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Koetter is allergic to running the ball. I wonder how often they even practice it. I remember they said Kyle would dedicate an entire day of practice to running the ball.

We couldn’t run the ball under Koetter the first time he was here. I never expected that to change when bringing him back. And people have the nerve to blame Freeman smh

Plenty more where that came from.

The Falcons got some serious defenses coming up on the schedule.

And of course the Panthers are on pace to break the 85 Bears sack record.

Of course the Falcons will do their best to assist.

4 hours ago, falconfan2 said:

Mas Tequila?:ninja:

JDaveG likes this

23 minutes ago, No.11 said:

He tried and D gave up a big lead. I don't like DK but with this D, its hard to run the ball. That freeman fumble put the nail in the coffin.

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Are you their CPA?

looking at the empty seats and cheap food in stadium ....I dont see how they could make money off Falcons?

No... not theirs... are you?

But I do have a clear understanding of their revenue streams, their PSL's, their ticket pre-sales, and a lot more.

Thinking that AB is purposely tanking this season to have the Falcons be a write-off is just as wrong as wrong can be. Sure they will make less money than if they were thriving, but they are not by any means going into the red. The worst teams in the NFL are profitable.

The worst teams had around $400mm in gross revenue for 2018. The NFL distributed over $8 billion in revenue sharing funds.

Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

10 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is that arrogance I was talking about. Koetter doesn't seem to think any of this was his fault. Maybe 5 step dropbacks and long developing routes aren't the best idea when the Rams are pass rushing every snap.

Wasn't all Mcgary, for what it's worth. He took Matthews out behind the woodshed too.

Shanny ran long developing routes as well...difference is he runs the ball no matter what.  This sets up the 7 step drops with PA.  If you don’t set those plays up with a run game, it’s a complete wrap.  You cannot run this offense without running the football and being committed to it. 

When Shanny & LaFleur use PA pass it looks identical to a run.  He wins with scheme before the ball ever hits the QB’s hand.  

Why Kyle Shanahan prefers coaching run game vs. pass game

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan is known as one of the NFL’s top offensive minds. He’s helped guide some of the most creative, prolific offenses in an era that’s getting away from outdated offensive concepts.

Typically we conflate the modern NFL offense with passing, but Shanahan actually prefers to coach the other portion of the offense according to former Browns offensive lineman Joe Thomas.

Thomas is one of the hosts of the ThomaHawk Show with Andrew Hawkins. He played left tackle for the Browns when Shanahan was the offensive coordinator there in 2014. Thomas explained in a recent episode why the 49ers head coach prefers coaching the rushing attack more than the passing game.

“There’s so many details, and rushing the football is so much harder to coach and to learn and to detail up than passing the ball is, that he was bored with passing concepts,” Thomas said. “Because it’s so easy. It’s one high. It’s two high. It’s route concepts that are pretty much always the same. They change based on coverage, yeah, but it’s such just a memorization thing. Whereas, like, if you want to be good at running the football – it’s so much technique and there’s so much of it, that it’s a much more difficult concept to learn.”

It speaks volumes about how advanced Shanahan’s mind is offensively that he was relaying this thought process in 2014 before the passing boom in the NFL really took off. He was bored with passing before it became such a dominant part of the NFL.

His manipulation of defenses with routes and formations is part of why he runs such a good offense though. He might be bored of coaching the passing game, but he has a deep knowledge of it that allows him to keep defenses off balance by mixing up run and pass plays.

It’s no wonder though that the 49ers have the No. 5-ranked run game in the NFL despite losing starting running back Jerick McKinnon before the season.

The ability to run the football still matters greatly in the NFL, and if Shanahan and the 49ers can continue gashing defenses for nearly six yards per carry, their offense is going to take off once they’re working with a complete, healthy roster.

Francis York Morgan and JDaveG like this