Goober Pyle

Dirk Koetter: Falcons offense played its worst game

45 posts in this topic

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/dirk-koetter-falcons-offense-played-its-worst-game

No **** Sherlock! :bang: 

The Falcons’ offense appeared to be hitting their stride heading into the Week 7 matchup with the Rams.

That changed on Sunday afternoon at Mercedes-Benz Stadium when Wade Phillips and the Rams’ defense gave Atlanta all they could handle.

“We didn’t play well in any areas of the game on offense,” offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter said on Monday. “We played our worst game of the year. We didn’t execute well across the board.”

The Falcons were averaging 22.5 points per game through six weeks. Atlanta mustered just 10 points against the Rams, the second time they’ve done that all season.

Atlanta’s offensive line struggled to protect Matt Ryan as he was sacked five times and pressured nine times. The Falcons also couldn’t get the run game going, finishing the day with 38 yards on the ground.

Defensive end Dante Fowler had three of the Rams’ five sacks.

“We got beat on the edge,” Koetter said.

The Falcons were 3-of-12 on third down, an area they had worked to improve over the past few weeks to improve.

Across the board, it wasn’t a performance you’d expect to see from the Falcons’ offense led by Ryan and wide receiver Julio Jones.

The only touchdown of the game came from Matt Schaub in the final minutes of the fourth quarter after Ryan left the game with an ankle injury.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said they don’t know how much time Ryan will miss and they won’t put him back out on the field until he’s fully ready.

kiwifalcon and Cole World like this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This is such a sloppy, fundamentally unsound football team. We don’t do anything....block, tackle, or coach.... well. 

Ridiculous 

Vandy likes this

Weirdly, I've been more entertained by the stats that have come out of this game than anything. I didn't watch a lick of it, so seeing this: 

29 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Defensive end Dante Fowler had three of the Rams’ five sacks.

That's shocking. 

JDaveG and Godzilla1985 like this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Weirdly, I've been more entertained by the stats that have come out of this game than anything. I didn't watch a lick of it, so seeing this: 

That's shocking. 

Kaleb got taken to school. It happens with rookie OL but it was rough to see. 

Wade Phillips was the defensive coach for the falcons before DQ took over play calling during the SB. Coach Phillips was replaced the following year.  

Dan Quinn's defense vs Wade Phillips defense Sunday. I am not speaking of players only scheme. I want the attacking defense. They were not wearing red uniforms.

10 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Kaleb got taken to school. It happens with rookie OL but it was rough to see. 

Yea. But 3 sacks? The game was fairly close at halftime. Why...you know what. Not even worth asking those questions anymore lol

35 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This is such a sloppy, fundamentally unsound football team. We don’t do anything....block, tackle, or coach.... well. 

Embrace the suck...that's what Mr.Blank wants us to do.

3 minutes ago, falconfan2 said:

Wade Phillips was the defensive coach for the falcons before DQ took over play calling during the SB. Coach Phillips was replaced the following year.  

Dan Quinn's defense vs Wade Phillips defense Sunday. I am not speaking of players only scheme. I want the attacking defense. They were not wearing red uniforms.

Huh?

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Because the dumb O.C cant put Ito or Freeman out in motion for Ryan to check down over the hot route and then R.Bs can make play in the open just like 2016.

Wtf!! We cant get creative with some slant, bubble screens, or gadget plays which will mask the the offensive line weakness.

The 4 or 5 drop back passes with no help in back end is causing this to happen.

D.K has to change up the scheme.

Put Ridley or Julio in slot not outside for short 3rd downs.

8 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

So freakin tired of everyone on this team stating the obvious!  We didn’t execute, play or coach well so wtf are you doing during the week?  Obviously not a damm thing!!

Not sure anyone of would be employed for this long if we performed like Falcons.

But, hey who cares Mr.Blank needs a tax write off so he needs to tank the Falcons season.

And then make money on Atlanta United.

blkbigdog35 likes this

5 minutes ago, Cole World said:

QB holds the ball to long, damm!! Rams were smelling blood and poor Matt was shark food!  Have to start helping Matt with shorter routes so he can get the ball quicker before this man gets seriously injured! 

Cole World likes this

This is that arrogance I was talking about. Koetter doesn't seem to think any of this was his fault. Maybe 5 step dropbacks and long developing routes aren't the best idea when the Rams are pass rushing every snap.

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Yea. But 3 sacks? The game was fairly close at halftime. Why...you know what. Not even worth asking those questions anymore lol

Wasn't all Mcgary, for what it's worth. He took Matthews out behind the woodshed too.

30 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Embrace the suck...that's what Mr.Blank wants us to do.

that's what DQ wants

24 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

But, hey who cares Mr.Blank needs a tax write off so he needs to tank the Falcons season.

The Falcon's are not going to be a tax write-off no matter how bad they perform this season.

mtldirtybird likes this

24 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

QB holds the ball to long, damm!! Rams were smelling blood and poor Matt was shark food!  Have to start helping Matt with shorter routes so he can get the ball quicker before this man gets seriously injured! 

he didnt say he was holding it "too" long, he said "holding it long" which means on 5 and 7 step drops and waiting for deep routes to develop. Donald isn't stupid he knows exactly what happened out there and that's why he chooses his words carefully and used the correct term

Ok so I have to take something out of every week this week it was this matchup.

Found it very interesting how Julio sets up his deep routes.He has Ramsay guessing on the comeback hesitates for a split second and gets beat.

Once Julio knew he could get deep on him he just misses on the next deep shot with a slightly over thrown ball.

Good matchup Ramsay defends Julio’s comeback well and tackles well.

41 minutes ago, falconfan2 said:

Lol Wade Phillips wasn't here 

The Daywalker, JDaveG and Vandy like this

6 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

he didnt say he was holding it "too" long, he said "holding it long" which means on 5 and 7 step drops and waiting for deep routes to develop. Donald isn't stupid he knows exactly what happened out there and that's why he chooses his words carefully and used the correct term

Okay??? Who gives a **** about word play!  OL is not protecting him so he needs to get the ball out quicker.  However thanks for thoroughly analyzing my post, sMFH!