Goober Pyle

What we learned: After Falcons’ latest loss, it’s OK to look toward NFL draft

43 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Tua isn't overrated but he isn't a great pro prospect either. Justin Herbert is vastly better pro prospect 

I think he's overrated by this board. Agree, that he isn't a great pro prospect. I would probably take Eason over him. 

7 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

A good pass rush is hard to find cause we keep signing or drafting scrubs to surround Grady.

Focus on building the interior DL and pass rushing will improve.

No they won't because they still won't beat the man in front of them with just athletic ability.

They'll need to be properly developed and have a respectable amount of pass rushing moves.

11 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I think he's overrated by this board. Agree, that he isn't a great pro prospect. I would probably take Eason over him. 

I can see that and I would too

I'm sure doing the same thing over and over again and neglecting our interior DL will provide different results. That's the mark of the Falcons org, keep trying things that failed time and time again before

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

Pass rushers

The best pass rusher, according to just about every draft expert, is Ohio State’s Chase Young. It seems like the Buckeyes routinely put out stars who can get after the passer, and Young is the latest in line to do so. For an Ohio State team that hasn’t been challenged, Young has 9.5 sacks.

Brugler has Young pegged as his top overall prospect in next year’s draft. Considering the Falcons aren’t technically in need of a quarterback — we’ll get to this a bit more in a moment — looking in this direction would make great sense.

Another edge defender who probably would go in the top 10, if the draft were next week, is Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa. Epenesa has only three sacks this season but has seen an uptick in attention compared to previous seasons. Second- and third-round edge defenders may include Penn State’s Yetur Gross-Matos, Wake Forest’s Carlos Basham, Alabama’s Terrell Lewis, Notre Dame’s Khalid Kareem and Boise State’s Curtis Weaver.

Defensive tackles

Although Grady Jarrett is in the team’s long-term plans, Jack Crawford is in the final year of his contract, and Tyeler Davison is operating under a one-year deal. Therefore, this could be a position the team targets in the early rounds.

While a first-round selection would be unlikely, the top defensive tackle is Auburn’s Derrick Brown. Brown has great athleticism and explosiveness and also happens to be a big body at 6-4 and 325 pounds. Having an outstanding game against Georgia two weeks ago, South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw (6-5 and 308 pounds) is also one who could continue to climb up draft boards.

Utah’s Leki Fotu is having a good senior season with 5.5 tackles for loss in the five games he has appeared in. Fotu could wind up being a potential third-round prospect.

Interior offensive line

With Jake Matthews and Kaleb McGary manning the tackle positions, the Falcons appear set there in the near future. Chris Lindstrom figures to upgrade the line at right guard once he’s cleared to return from his broken foot. The Falcons still could try to add another guard, although it wouldn’t make much sense to take one early in the draft with so many other positions of need.

It will be interesting, however, to see what the franchise does at center. Alex Mack has one year remaining on his contract, with the team able to free up $8 million with his release. And, of course, that will be one of the toughest decisions this franchise has to make when the offseason arrives. But whether Atlanta keeps Mack in 2020, it probably would be a good idea to search for his successor.

If Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey turns out to be an early second-rounder, and the Falcons do, in fact, have a top-five pick, he would certainly be a great addition to the offensive line. But considering how tough it is to identify offensive linemen in the later rounds, it could be prudent for the Falcons to take one earlier than it might be expected.

This writer is copying my approach.

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

There are so many glaring holes on this roster...it's hard to focus on what the biggest need is.

For me, it is a tossup between an edge rusher and a good corner...but they need a safety, at least one more linebacker, a starting guard and a running back.

I'd put safety over corner. Sheff looks pretty good and I know Oliver has been terrible but perhaps with good coaching, which we clearly have not had, he can be a yet turn into a good corner. Neal's carcass and Rico's limitations on the other hand I feel less confident about it. 

42 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

It’s sad because that should be enough ... I’m done with Vic but maybe with new coaching Young and Takk can be scary duo 

Takk could work surrounded by competent defense and coaching. I wouldn't mind keeping him though I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if he moved on. 

We learned AGAIN that Matt Choke Ryan is bad. It was a wasted 150 million and the Falcons will be lucky to win 1-2 more games this year. The defense is really pathetic.

27 minutes ago, Cole World said:

This writer is copying my approach.

The Falcons need to draft a QB. They have gone defense for the last couple years, except last year and look what it has gotten them. The defense is really pathetic, much like Matty Choke Ryan.

14 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I'd put safety over corner. Sheff looks pretty good and I know Oliver has been terrible but perhaps with good coaching, which we clearly have not had, he can be a yet turn into a good corner. Neal's carcass and Rico's limitations on the other hand I feel less confident about it. 

Somewhat agree, but I don't really want to bank on either Sheff or Oliver, and we still would need a legit nickelback. Not keen on spending a really high draft pick here, but we need at the very least to shore up depth. I'd be good with a 3rd-4th rounder.

No chance a new coach comes in and wants his QB so drafts one early. Any coach who doesn’t get excited to work w Ryan won’t be in Blanks list, period.

9 minutes ago, Really said:

The Falcons need to draft a QB. They have gone defense for the last couple years, except last year and look what it has gotten them. The defense is really pathetic, much like Matty Choke Ryan.

We ain’t drafting no d*** QB early.

1 hour ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Agree to disagree about Tua. But if the staff feels like Tua is a legit franchise QB then you have to go with the 22 year old. Keeps us set at the most important position by far for the next decade at the very least. 

Matt’s contract makes it near impossible for us to move on from him even with a trade, too much dead money. That makes it impossible for us to draft his replacement next year. 

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

A good pass rush is hard to find cause we keep signing or drafting scrubs to surround Grady.

Focus on building the interior DL and pass rushing will improve.

The problem with your logic is it still ignores one problem:

Needing edge guys who can just beat their blocks

You can add Derrick Brown to pair with Grady, that's great, but if the edge guys still can't win 1v1 blocks, it won't matter. You need guys who can beat blocks. DL or EDGE. It doesn't matter. Get EDGE guys who can beat their blocks but if the QB can just step up, it's useless. 

3 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Eason gonna be heck of a pro, his arm is a cannon. His pro day will rocket him up the charts minus his north of 5.0 40 time

Geaux_Falcons likes this

21 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Eason gonna be heck of a pro, his arm is a cannon. His pro day will rocket him up the charts minus his north of 5.0 40 time

UGA should have kept him as the starter. That offense would be much more dynamic with him as a passer.

21 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

UGA should have kept him as the starter. That offense would be much more dynamic with him as a passer.

Perhaps. His first 2 years was a lot of behind scenes immaturity that was never bad enough to make public headlines, but drove Kirby insane. Jake came in with photographic memory and won coaches over.

22 hours ago, Cole World said:

We ain’t drafting no d*** QB early.

And that will be the reason the Falcons don't make the playoffs next year also. Matt Ryan is a choker. He is scared to get touched in the pocket. Atlanta will never win a Super Bowl with Ryan at QB. Trade for Manning in NY, I think his days are over up there. I would really like to have Rogers from Green Bay. Almost anyone other than Ryan. Atlanta's got the best receiving group in the NFL and Ryan can't get them the ball. Playcalling is bad, so is Ryan. Except for last year, the Falcons have drafted defense. Wher has that got them???? The Falcons defense is pathetic. They finely got rid of awful Alford, need to do the same with a few more.

Edited by Really
added