falconizer123

Tony Dungy for next HC anyone

67 posts in this topic

@PeytonMannings Forehead

I got nothing on finding the next coach for this team. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on here. :ninja::tiphat:

Nah, someone that can install an offense with a consistent run game and can protect the QB. If it's a WCO, great! If it's Josh Daniels? I'm down.

Just make it happen that the next HC can stabilize both OC and DC with their coordinator selections.

Godzilla1985 likes this

8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead

I got nothing on finding the next coach for this team. Otherwise, I wouldn't be on here. :ninja::tiphat:

Nah, someone that can install an offense with a consistent run game and can protect the QB. If it's a WCO, great! If it's Josh Daniels? I'm down.

Just make it happen that the next HC can stabilize both OC and DC with their coordinator selections.

I feel that.

This the thing about saying it has to be a brilliant offensive minded head coach, how many guys who fit that bill are out there waiting in the wings right now?

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I feel that.

This the thing about saying it has to be a brilliant offensive minded head coach, how many guys who fit that bill are out there waiting in the wings right now?

Think outside the box to find them and Hire them. Easier said than done.

Would you take on Kubiak in a HC or OC role as a retread near the end of Ryan's career or go with a first time HC?

Do we go to the college ranks or look for the next LaFleur...Mike is sitting out there in SF and we already missed on Matt. :ninja:

Many believe in grabbing Bieniemy from KC.

2 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

If we want another detail-oriented coach we would be blessed to be able to get Dungy. "The Power of Habit" has a whole chapter dedicated to the work he did in Tampa and Indy describing the cutting edge ways he taught his team how to act on habit and instinct and is one of the few coaches I can recall to build two championship squads in two different conferences. (I know Gruden was the coach when Tampa one but that was 100% Dungies creation). I am not sure he has any interest whatsoever to get back into coaching though. 

How bout the guy that hired Tony Dungy in Indy who has a better body of work not as a coach but as a GM or in the building in some capacity.

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I feel that.

Brilliant mind that would be my guy at GM the dude with the vision to make the right hires.As you say though legitimately I just don’t think alot of these guys exist.

11 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I feel that.

What’s are your thoughts on Lincoln Riley or Bieniemy? 

Is there someone you know that you think fits the bill?

30 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Who’d you have in mind?

The affection for McDaniels is a little odd considering the way he flaked on Indianapolis just two years ago. I can’t remember ever seeing a coach out and out accept a job, get ready to hire a staff and everything then change his mind. Doesnt seem like the kind of character I’d want leading an organization.

How so?

He is a pound the ball guy, keep things vanilla, don't let the QB screw things up and keep things close to the vest. Only difference is that Rex is a better Xs and Os coach. 

13 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I feel that.

To think we already had one of the very few and let him walk out the door like it was no big deal. :doh:

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

To think we already had one of the very few and let him walk out the door like it was no big deal. :doh:

Did we let him ?

Or was the Niners offer like the Godfather movie an offer he couldn’t refuse.

I don’t think we just let him walk.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Did we let him ?

True, I mean who knows. It didn't seem like we made much of an effort to counter-offer but it's tough to say from the outside. 

kiwifalcon likes this

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Did we let him ?

Think he is talking about Matt Lafluer now head coach of the Packers 5-1 was QB coach with Shanny Ryan had a great repertoire with him. Of course now there is Mike his brother in San Fran, wouldn't mind giving him a shot though he is young but he was here in Atlanta for 2016 too. 

Just now, putnam6 said:

Think he is talking about Matt Lafluer now head coach of the Packers 5-1 was QB coach with Shanny Ryan had a great repertoire with him. Of course now there is Mike his brother in San Fran, wouldn't mind giving him a shot though he is young but he was here in Atlanta for 2016 too. 

Tell you what it’s another perplexing decision made by DQ and co.As bad as some of his onfield decisions man when they have the debrief of it some of thee off field decision making has a lot to be desired.

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

What’s are your thoughts on Lincoln Riley or Bieniemy? 

Is there someone you know that you think fits the bill?

I like Riley as a college coach.  I'm still skeptical of him in the NFL.  First I think it would be a dumb move on his part to leave Oklahoma right now where you literally could have a job for life.  Secondly, I'm still skeptical of the Air Raid offense in the NFL.  It has a fair amount of run and shoot principles that do work and are part of a lot of current offenses, but the system as a whole. I'm still not sure it translates to the NFL, especially in this climate were defenses are prioritizing getting smaller and faster.

Bieniemy I like a lot, but not for the reasons I suspect a lot of other people do.  I don't think you're guaranteed to get a high flying offense like K.C. with him.  He's a running back coach by trade.  We could just as easily see and old school grind it out, and play solid defense kind of team.  

3 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

He is a pound the ball guy, keep things vanilla, don't let the QB screw things up and keep things close to the vest. Only difference is that Rex is a better Xs and Os coach. 

Dungy didn't impose any vanilla, pound the ball offense in Indianapolis.  He had not problem stepping aside and letting Tom Moore and Peyton run things.  

And it could be argued that Dungy is actually the better X's and O's guy than Rexy.  Dungy literally invented a defense that took over the league in a similar was the west coast offense spread.  

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Did we let him ?

6 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

True, I mean who knows. It didn't seem like we made much of an effort to counter-offer but it's tough to say from the outside. 

Yeah, man, Shanny was ready to be a head coach.  The only thing that would have kept him here was offering him the top job.  

I think a lot of folks around here overestimated the allure of him staying here just because we had a historic offense.  

kiwifalcon likes this

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Bieniemy I like a lot, but not for the reasons I suspect a lot of other people do.  I don't think you're guaranteed to get a high flying offense like K.C. with him.  He's a running back coach by trade.  We could just as easily see and old school grind it out, and play solid defense kind of team.

I wouldnt mind that at all. 

6 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Dungy didn't impose any vanilla, pound the ball offense in Indianapolis.  He had not problem stepping aside and letting Tom Moore and Peyton run things.  

And it could be argued that Dungy is actually the better X's and O's guy than Rexy.  Dungy literally invented a defense that took over the league in a similar was the west coast offense spread.  

Well yeah of course, Peyton is not going to let any coach jack up his offense. He got out of his own way in Indi, but for the majority of his career he was married to Mularky type football and wouldn't change. That was the reason he got fired in Tampa.

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I like Riley as a college coach.  I'm still skeptical of him in the NFL.  First I think it would be a dumb move on his part to leave Oklahoma right now where you literally could have a job for life.  Secondly, I'm still skeptical of the Air Raid offense in the NFL.  It has a fair amount of run and shoot principles that do work and are part of a lot of current offenses, but the system as a whole. I'm still not sure it translates to the NFL, especially in this climate were defenses are prioritizing getting smaller and faster.

Yea It's kind of strange the disrespect some posters are showing Dungy in this thread. He is a genius-level coach... not saying he is the best fit or even a viable candidate at this point in time, but he is one of the great HCs of his era. Anyone with any insight knows that Tampa team that won under Gruden was his team. 

Just now, Embrace the suck said:

Well yeah of course, Peyton is not going to let any coach jack up his offense. He got out of his own way in Indi, but for the majority of his career he was married to Mularky type football and wouldn't change. That was the reason he got fired in Tampa.

We could use a little Mularkey ball right now, but he's demonstrated he's willing to coach without ego.  He could have just as easily passed on the Colt job if he felt that strongly about that way of offensive football.  

Dungy is a Hall of Fame coach, let's not forget that.  You got Matt, Julio, Ridley -- he's smart enough to let the talent flourish.  He never had anything close to that in Tampa. He had the likes of Trent Dilfer and Shaun King pulling the trigger.  I'd run the ball too.  

7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

We could use a little Mularkey ball right now, but he's demonstrated he's willing to coach without ego.  He could have just as easily passed on the Colt job if he felt that strongly about that way of offensive football.  

Dungy is a Hall of Fame coach, let's not forget that.  You got Matt, Julio, Ridley -- he's smart enough to let the talent flourish.  He never had anything close to that in Tampa. He had the likes of Trent Dilfer and Shaun King pulling the trigger.  I'd run the ball too.  

Of course, when you coach manning you have to. But Ryan is no manning and I am not sure he would let him flourish. This is why I say if we hire him make sure he hires a darn good OC. Dungy had Shaun King all those years because he liked Shaun king, and because he preferred to pound the ball with Alstott and Dunn. That was the reason Andy Reid / Giants ate him up almost every post season.