Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

The Atlanta Falcons Prepare to Enter Salary Cap **** in 2020

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vel said:

They went 7-9 three straight seasons. Let's not act like they weren't a very mediocre team for some time while they figured it out with some of the worst defenses the NFL has ever seen in the process.

There have always going to be tough decisions to be made.

Yes they went 7-9 over those years but not all situations are the same.

I’ve always been whatever about the cap.I’ve never been that reliant on how successful a team is with it.

For me the draft is still the key as long as you have talent coming out of it losing guys like Sanu Mack Trufant and Freeman are what they are.Draft & Coaching have always been the key.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Welp... Here we go...

A lot of us have been talking about it, but there are going to be some very real cuts/decisions made going into next year. This is solely why I'm on board with a new GM on top of a new HC. We need a full reset. Clean house. Accept that 2020 may be just as bad as this season. This is not going to be a quick turn around. The Falcons have had one of the oldest rosters in the league since DQ took over. Consistently. They were the second oldest team last year and the fifth oldest this year. This is a maxed out roster as is and they are 1-6. Blow it up. 

We need a GM who is looking at this as a 3-5 year runway. Yes, Matt is here and still kicking, but this is no different than the Saints in those numerous 7-9 years. As long as he's the QB, this can be a competing team so long as the next GM doesn't box this roster into the same situation we are in now. Guys like Trufant, Freeman, Sanu, and maybe even Mack need to be moved on from. Those four guys alone account for $43MM in cap hits in 2020. That doesn't include guys like Sambrailo, Stocker, and Schaub or any restructures. Strap in ladies and gents. It may get ugly before it gets better. 

I read this piece this morning and was blown away. Dimitroff's fingerprints are all over this mess. After reading it I started preparing myself for how bad it could be next season. Plus it looks like Dimitroff and Quinn basically went all in on this season. They bet on themselves and whiffed in horrendous fashion

If the team does a complete fire sale and moves on from Mack, Freeman, Sanu, Allen, Keanu Neal, and Allen Bailey, that saves $32.125 million, which brings that total to $34.075 million in cap space. That’s still just $1.1 million per player, which, especially considering all the talent they’d be ridding themselves of in that scenario, likely makes them one of the worst teams in the NFL next year.

That's not much talent besides mack and sanu. Add trufant in there and we'd be ok. We need to draft Mack's replacement as he is very old. 

problem with the lopsided cap is we haven't produced much defensive talent besides Deion Jones, and Jarrett that we should pay, or should have paid. Rico is a good team player but is no star, TrufaRt is a bust, Vic is a bust, and Takk and Neal are questionable. 

vel likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If we can somehow add a couple mid round picks or better for Vic, Sanu and possibly Tru? No brainer.

Keep playing the young CBs and hopefully get Lindstrom cleared to play this year. More Cominsky, Foye and Grace please. If we traded Vic, just promote Larkin. Same for Blake to replace Sanu’s roster spot.

You got it Ergo we already pretty much no who the core pieces are now we gotta find guys who can come in and do a job for us so these pieces can be used to there best.

For me more so than the cap the bigger issue is coaching and gaining an identity.

Right now this team doesn’t know what it is.

Over half our cap invested in 5 old aging players. We are the new Detroit Lions. Cut the whole defense and play with just Jarrett, Jones, and Grace because that is all we doing now anyway

Edited by Refried Beans

33 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Bingo. I was thinking something similar. I think the ONLY way next season's Falcons team can be good, we'd have to hit a jackpot next draft and make some chess moves Belichick style. Probably trade a top 5 draft pick down for extra draft picks and trade Sanu, Beasley, Trufant, and Freeman for extra draft picks to beef up our defensive front 7 and our O-line. We're also going to have to find a new kicker too. So much turnover this roster is going to have to make, and based on our recent history with Dimitroff, I doubt it's going to happen sadly. We must draft real mean play makers with fire in them from the SEC or BIG TEN, it can't be any of these soft nice guys from these lower tier schools.

Football players not athletes.

mqg96 likes this