Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
since68andcounting

Matthews and Donald

128 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

Probably the biggest draft debates on these boards. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I am so glad we went Ryan. I personally witnessed him rip my college team and the Acc.  I knew what kind of leadership he brought. We dodged a bulletin by Dolphins passing him by. I was actually more concerned that if we didn’t get him that Carolina would have. Can you imagine that alternative universe?  

Dorsey lasted how long in the league?

My best friend is a Dolphins fan and he is still pissed they passed on Ryan. Talks about it every time we play each other.

Sadly I think Ryan’s time here may be coming to an end within the next 5 years. I have a feeling if we have a high draft pick and a new HC, they might draft his successor sooner rather than later. Especially if it’s an offensive minded HC with a scheme that requires a different skill set than Ryan’s. 

Oddly enough he lasted 8 years in the league. Surprised when I googled that. Lol

VTCrunkler likes this

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And Smith's staff had an up close and personal view of him the entire week where he was unblockable.  I remember that Senior Bowl.  The reports for the North team was Donald this and Donald that.

Matthews is a good tackle but Donald is the best at his position and he's been like that since day 1.   He might be the best player in the NFL.

The failure to identify and draft Donald was one of the reasons I was for and still am for showing TD the door.

There's always a guy who stands out at the senior bowl. I thought Donald was a good prospect, but looking at a need at LT and Donald wasn't even a top 10 prospect by many throughout the league, we made a fine choice. Matthew's isn't bad either. Many just want him to be elite, but it's really not many elite LTs available as it is. If you're going to crucify TD, you should do the same for everyone who didn't draft him as well, including the team who waited till there 2nd pick to take him. 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

I understand he is getting beat 1 on 1 but in this mess who the heck knows if he is getting beat outside because because he's worried about no help on an inside move or if the wrong line calls are being made.

I just don't buy into someone forgetting how to play and we're a mess right now, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus with so many other things going wrong on the line.

6 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

There's always a guy who stands out at the senior bowl. I thought Donald was a good prospect, but looking at a need at LT and Donald wasn't even a top 10 prospect by many throughout the league, we made a fine choice. Matthew's isn't bad either. Many just want him to be elite, but it's really not many elite LTs available as it is. If you're going to crucify TD, you should do the same for everyone who didn't draft him as well, including the team who waited till there 2nd pick to take him. 

We had a shot at an elite player 2 years in a row. Gurley then Donald. Both guys fell right into our laps. The FO should've identified at least ONE of them as game changers. Many here on this forum identified them as game changers and we didn't have nearly the up close perspective they did.

It's a shame when I can say that there are some forum members I sincerely believe could be a better talent evaluator than our FO..

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
vitaman likes this

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

The gel theory, huh? We're in week 8, but we still rolling with the "gel theory", huh?

That’s part of it. Crappy coaching and changing pieces will undeniably affect things. 
 But I didn’t say it was all of it, now did I?

Flying Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

We had a shot at an elite player 2 years in a row. Gurley then Donald. Both guys fell right into our laps. The FO should've identified as game changers. Many here on this forum identified them as game changers and we didn't have nearly the up close perspective they did.

It's a shame when I can say that there are some forum members I sincerely believe could be a better talent evaluator than our FO..

A trend I'm seeing with these picks you speak of is, they were "luxury" picks compared to "needs" picks. Drafting undersized DT's & RB's top 10 isnt something you normally do unless you're in a position to draft BPA. 

We needed a LT & an edge rusher in the worst of ways. If we drafted Gurley and Donald and they bust or not the elite players they are, the board would be blasting TD even harder for not addressing two big needs.

I wasnt a huge fan of Vic, as I wanted a trade up for William's that year, but I understood the logic. 2016 Vic and Matthews had TD looking like a genius for the picks he made.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for TD, but as I mentioned earlier, if you're going to talk about why TD didn't draft those 2 players, the other teams need the same calling out as both guys fell at least 10 spots in the draft.

GeorgiaBoyz and Sidecar Falcon like this

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Its interesting how our "10 year franchise LT" is now looking like he's done in half that time. And the guy we passed on to get him is the best defensive player in the league and a one man wrecking crew yesterday.

I was told by very knowledgeable posters on this board that "Everyone knew Donald was gonna be special". That so? If everyone here knew, then how come the GM, scouts, and especially coaches who saw him in the Senior bowl and are PAID to know couldn't see it?

WHO made the decision that we HAD to go OL rather than pass on a once in a generational defensive lineman? Was it TD, or higher?

If you think about it the rams got 2 of the players that alot of fans at the time was wanting... I was ok with Matthew's and or Donald.... the. Vic Beasley vs Gurley!! I was happy with the picks Beasley didnt turn out to be the middle of the pack sack guy I thought he could be but we didnt need Gurley when we had freeman....

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

We had a shot at an elite player 2 years in a row. Gurley then Donald. Both guys fell right into our laps. The FO should've identified at least ONE of them as game changers. Many here on this forum identified them as game changers and we didn't have nearly the up close perspective they did.

Gurley isn’t elite. His career as a feature back is done. He had three amazing years were he was elite. That’s a rental in today’s NFL. And his contract is testimony as to why you shouldn’t overpay for RBs by that much, unless you are certain he is a 10 year player. We flip out over Freeman’s contract. Imagine what we would be doing with Gurley’s.

People seem to miss the nuances of the game. Most notably the status of the Falcons at each respective draft slot. In the 2014 draft we needed to protect Ryan,  period. Ryan was sacked 43 times the year before. He goes down and we’re proper f@cked. Protecting their franchise QB was, is, and should be every team’s primary focus. Which is why OL is so important. 

In the 2015 draft, Gurley was coming off a knee injury. He also missed the first two games and looked terrible in his 3rd. This is also during the point in which TD was being HEAVILY criticized for drafting injury prone players. Not to mention there was literally YEARS were we didn’t have any sort of pass rush on this team. And the top speed rushing prospect falls into our lap, with Freeman already on our team, and an offensive coordinator that is known to utilize an RBBC.

A trend I'm seeing with these picks you speak of is, they were "luxury" picks compared to "needs" picks. Drafting undersized DT's & RB's top 10 isnt something you normally do unless you're in a position to draft BPA. 

We needed a LT & an edge rusher in the worst of ways. If we drafted Gurley and Donald and they bust or not the elite players they are, the board would be blasting TD even harder for not addressing two big needs.

I wasnt a huge fan of Vic, as I wanted a trade up for William's that year, but I understood the logic. 2016 Vic and Matthews had TD looking like a genius for the picks he made.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for TD, but as I mentioned earlier, if you're going to talk about why TD didn't draft those 2 players, the other teams need the same calling out as both guys fell at least 10 spots in the draft.

D@mn beat me to it. Lol

2 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Funny you call them "luxury" when we need a pass rush (Aaron Donald is one of the best interior pass rusher in league history) and a consistent run game (Gurley was a having a generational talent type career before his knee injury)

Pretty sure those guys would've helped both much more than Matthews and Beasley helped our O-Line and Passrush

vitaman likes this

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Funny you call them "luxury" when we need a pass rush (Aaron Donald is one of the best interior pass rusher in league history) and a consistent run game (Gurley was a having a generational talent type career before his knee injury)

Pretty sure those guys would've helped both much more than Matthews and Beasley helped our O-Line and Passrush

We need pass rush from edge. Grady may not be AD but he does 3/4th of what AD does. Grady had a monster SB, better than AD.

Just now, falcons007 said:

We need pass rush from edge. Grady may not be AD but he does 3/4th of what AD does. Grady had a monster SB, better than AD.

^ This. And Freeman had a better SB than Gurley. 

falcons007 likes this

2 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

We took the guy who was rated higher, and who we thought was a bigger need in the form of a LT over an undersized DT. 

One thing about the Rams, they got their OLine together as well. They did so because they had the money to do it with because they were rebuilding.

They could afford to that because again, they needed as much talent as they could accumulate at the time. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

And with out Mathews, they probably won’t make it either. Mathews was great in 2016 protecting Ryan. 

Amazing what a great coordinator can do. Matthews is solid, not elite, but if he can make sure that Ryan doesn’t get obliterated every play then I have less of a problem paying him market value. 

falcons007 likes this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

And with out Mathews, they probably won’t make it either. Mathews was great in 2016 protecting Ryan. 

Guys want to rag on Matthew's not looking good this year, but hes been about as solid as we could ask for over the past few years and rated highly and thats considering there's not many LT's in the game that are good to begin with

Sidecar Falcon and falcons007 like this

2 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

We took the guy who was rated higher, and who we thought was a bigger need in the form of a LT over an undersized DT. 

One thing about the Rams, they got their OLine together as well. They did so because they had the money to do it with because they were rebuilding.

They could afford to that because again, they needed as much talent as they could accumulate at the time. 

Yup. There were a few articles I posted about the Rams OL being top rated last year. 

4 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Amazing what a great coordinator can do. Matthews is solid, not elite, but if he can make sure that Ryan doesn’t get obliterated every play then I have less of a problem paying him market value. 

I mean just look at the highest rated LT's compared to what they're getting paid. They're all neck and neck. The only difference is a lot of those guys were paid before Matthew's. Matthew's got market value for what a good to elite LT was getting. That difference is like 3-4 million depending on who's salary you're looking at.

falcons007 likes this

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Mathews is one of the top 10 LTs in the NFL. There are guys who get hyped and do worse than Mathews. 

Geaux_Falcons likes this

Guys want to rag on Matthew's not looking good this year, but hes been about as solid as we could ask for over the past few years and rated highly and thats considering there's not many LT's in the game that are good to begin with

Mathews is a franchise LT. You don’t have many left in NFL.

I was begging for us to get Donald when he came out. Was told by some here that he was too small to be good, even though he flashed elite ability throughout his whole career at Pitt.

I actually like Matthews. Just really wanted Donald coming out.  

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Mathews is one of the top 10 LTs in the NFL. There are guys who get hyped and do worse than Mathews. 

Greg Robinson went #2 in the same draft and he's not even playing the position anymore from what I heard last 

I'll make a comment here and stop lurking for a bit. I remember that draft well, which includes our fail with Greg Robinson. I would have been ecstatic if we had gotten Matthews with that pick, and yes, it was supposed to be that he was a sure thing. We needed a LT so bad, we could taste it! Robinson had/has a Hall of Fame Body, and a pop warner mind. Snead was asked by Fisher to find athletic freaks, while McVay likes athletic freaks too, he likes smart players even more. When he first came to the Rams, he cut Robinson almost immediately.

There was Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan in the Top 10 of that draft, and I think both the Rams and the Falcons missed by not picking Taylor Lewan.

As for Aaaron Freaking Donald, no one picking in that draft knew how good he would be. If they did, no way Clowney gets picked #1 overall. There was one of two guys on my homeboard who went all in on Aaron Donald, and I got with them a day before the draft. When I saw him tackling a RB and the QB simultaneously for Pitt, I just about went insane. I'm an old guy and I have never seen anything like that my whole life. Having said that, if it had been between Matthews or Donald, God help me, I would have picked your guy in 2014. Thank God I'm just a stupid fan

vitaman and Geaux_Falcons like this