ya_boi_j

Blank: "It's just very disappoining for everybody"

31 posts in this topic

Falcons owner Arthur Blank offered a show of support for coach Dan Quinn after Sunday’s loss to the Rams dropped them to 1-6.

But it’s clear the clock is very much ticking on Quinn.

Jeff Schultz of TheAthletic.com caught up with Blank after the latest win, and while there may not be an immediate firing, there’s enough space between the lines to drive a moving van through.

Asked if he still supported Quinn, Blank replied: “Of course. We’ve got games to play. I support the players. I support the coach. I feel all the pain that the fans feel and also the players do and the coaches do, as well.”

When asked if Quinn could be fired Monday, Blank replied: “No. But that doesn’t change the record. It is what it is. It’s just very disappointing for everybody.”

Blank said he hadn’t made a decision at this point, but it seems inevitable now.

The Falcons play the Seahawks this week before a bye, and with three former head coaches on staff (Dirk Koetter, Raheem Morris, Mike Mularkey), it wouldn’t be hard for Blank to find an interim head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/21/arthur-blank-its-just-very-disappointing-for-everybody/

Blowout this week and it may be the end

Geneaut, YungFalco and Halcon-1 like this

Blank is a part of the problem too. He is too heavily involved in the football operations and its clear his fingerprints are all over this team. Blank values flash over function. Quinn is good as gone, however if Blank keeps TD around it will be even more glaring that Blank is part of the problem. He might not have the sack to fire his buddy TD which would be a shame. 

33 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Falcons owner Arthur Blank offered a show of support for coach Dan Quinn after Sunday’s loss to the Rams dropped them to 1-6.

Jeff Schultz of TheAthletic.com caught up with Blank after the latest win, and while there may not be an immediate firing, there’s enough space between the lines to drive a moving van through.

That would have been the Eagles game eons ago! 

Dimitroff should do us all a favor and resign for the Falcons and AB's sake.

If not I wonder what he gets reassigned to. Special assistant to Rich McKay with the possibility of taking over for him well down the road I'd guess.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

I would be very impressed with Arthur Blank if he came out this week and announced some of his scouts and front office personell had been let go, that would lead me to believe he is not just repeating the same "process" of bringing in poor talent and then firing coaches when they don't produce. Time to eval the whole organization and roll some heads. 

sdogg and Doctor Kildare like this

I really don't understand why AB is waiting to fire him until the bye.  It's inevitable at this point, AB is too loyal to a fault, Is he not watching the same games we are?  We are getting annihilated with just flat out awful coaching.  Rushing 3, dropping rushers into coverage, soft cover 3 zone, etc.  Quinn should have been gone when we lost to the Titans, who then benched their QB the game afterwards.  This team is obviously not responding to him and the longer he waits to let him go, the longer we'll be a laughing stock.  Oh yeah, tell him to take TD with him.

26 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Blank is a part of the problem too. He is too heavily involved in the football operations and its clear his fingerprints are all over this team. Blank values flash over function. Quinn is good as gone, however if Blank keeps TD around it will be even more glaring that Blank is part of the problem. He might not have the sack to fire his buddy TD which would be a shame. 

I fired him as owner a few years back when he brought Mike Smith back from London on the team plane. Security keeps letting him in the facilities though, so there's not much more I can do, other than change the channel or just not turn it on to start with  :)

being funny, or trying to be, but I agree with you. I too believe he's part of the problem, maybe the biggest part of the problem. The thing is though, I remember all too well the Rankin Smith days. 

I think if I was the owner, I'd have a hard time in a situation like this not going in and tell Q, I don't know what you changed, but change it back this week and win or pack up and get out. 

Just now, papachaz said:

I fired him as owner a few years back when he brought Mike Smith back from London on the team plane. Security keeps letting him in the facilities though, so there's not much more I can do, other than change the channel or just not turn it on to start with  :)

being funny, or trying to be, but I agree with you. I too believe he's part of the problem, maybe the biggest part of the problem. The thing is though, I remember all too well the Rankin Smith days. 

I think if I was the owner, I'd have a hard time in a situation like this not going in and tell Q, I don't know what you changed, but change it back this week and win or pack up and get out. 

Blank can be loyal to a fault. Those tough conversations need to be had. It's clear as day that Quinn will be fired and is essentially an empty voice falling on deaf ears. I think we should just ride it out w/ Quinn til the end of the season tho... I mean there really is no point to put an interim HC in there just to bring in a new coach next year.

My main concern is TD - will Blank actually have the sack to fire TD this time? Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice? Shame on me. TD threw MS under the bus, and was retained then Quinn was brought in and latched to TD. They are a package deal now, so they both must go. I will seriously question AB if he keeps TD around and fires Quinn. 

papachaz, g-dawg, JDaveG and 2 others like this

I mean, this is pro sports, people. The rule of the league is "perform or move out of the way so the next guy can perform." If you're not producing at the pro level, you get removed from the pro level. The amount of money being rendered for services in this league is eye-popping. Let's not make it all warm and fuzzy... it's a business. Arthur Blank, your shiny new stadium was around 40% of capacity Sunday. What are you doing????

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, D.B.N. said:

Blank can be loyal to a fault. Those tough conversations need to be had. It's clear as day that Quinn will be fired and is essentially an empty voice falling on deaf ears. I think we should just ride it out w/ Quinn til the end of the season tho... I mean there really is no point to put an interim HC in there just to bring in a new coach next year.

My main concern is TD - will Blank actually have the sack to fire TD this time? Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice? Shame on me. TD threw MS under the bus, and was retained then Quinn was brought in and latched to TD. They are a package deal now, so they both must go. I will seriously question AB if he keeps TD around and fires Quinn. 

honestly, I'm still up in the air with TD. I mean we've had winning streaks and success under his tenure we never had before. We've drafted some really good players the last ten years. I believe it was more TD picking who he wanted and expecting Smitty to use them, and we saw that work great for a few years. Then something happened to him, I don't know if it was the heart scare, the thing on the sidelines with meangelo hall and the subsequent fine, or a combination of all of the above, but smitty lost his way, lost his fire, lost a lot of players and off the cliff we went.

with Q, wasn't it agreed that he himself would have final say on player personnel? in that case, is it on TD if the coach says 'this guy, this guy, him him him and NOT him' and then fails with his 'chosen'?

I will say though, while I truly believe what I said about drafting some really good players, I also acknowledge all the "WTF" no name head scratching picks we've made on guys who didn't stay in the league even a few years

D.B.N. likes this

We need a total organizational overhaul. Hire Ed Dodds to fill both McKay and Dimitroffs roles. Sell off underperforming assets, contracts that are expensive but far enough into to not get destroyed by dead money (Unfortunately Sanu is part of this). 

We need to have 10-12 picks in this upcoming draft, we have to be a cheap for a year. Try to get 10 mil of cap (besides rookie pool) and replace a weak spot or two, get some ok depth and let Dodds do his magic with the lines.

TD ain’t going anywhere. There’s a reason no one ever asks AB about his confidence in TD or whether or not he will fire TD. Nobody but Falcons fans thinks TD should be fired. Every expert knows TD put together a talented roster that was good enough to win a SB or at the very least be playoff competitive. 

The Daywalker likes this

9 hours ago, papachaz said:

honestly, I'm still up in the air with TD. I mean we've had winning streaks and success under his tenure we never had before. We've drafted some really good players the last ten years. I believe it was more TD picking who he wanted and expecting Smitty to use them, and we saw that work great for a few years. Then something happened to him, I don't know if it was the heart scare, the thing on the sidelines with meangelo hall and the subsequent fine, or a combination of all of the above, but smitty lost his way, lost his fire, lost a lot of players and off the cliff we went.

with Q, wasn't it agreed that he himself would have final say on player personnel? in that case, is it on TD if the coach says 'this guy, this guy, him him him and NOT him' and then fails with his 'chosen'?

I will say though, while I truly believe what I said about drafting some really good players, I also acknowledge all the "WTF" no name head scratching picks we've made on guys who didn't stay in the league even a few years

Mike Smith had a heart scare in 2011. We were great in 2012.

I just dont understand what Quinn is thinking. We played one of the worst OLines in the league so we rush 3 most of the game and drop our DEs into coverage. I honestly wonder if he is trying to get fired.

12 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Asked if he still supported Quinn, Blank replied: “Of course. We’ve got games to play. I support the players. I support the coach. I feel all the pain that the fans feel and also the players do and the coaches do, as well.”

When asked if Quinn could be fired Monday, Blank replied: “No. But that doesn’t change the record. It is what it is. It’s just very disappointing for everybody.”

Blank said he hadn’t made a decision at this point, but it seems inevitable now.

The Falcons play the Seahawks this week before a bye, and with three former head coaches on staff (Dirk Koetter, Raheem Morris, Mike Mularkey), it wouldn’t be hard for Blank to find an interim head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/21/arthur-blank-its-just-very-disappointing-for-everybody/

Blowout this week and it may be the end

Blank knows PR, he's not going to tip his hand as to his plans, and he has plans, but we have no idea what they are or what is going on behind the scenes, like PT Barnum AB wants butts in those seats, amazing he can get MBS filled for a ***** soccer game and not the nations greatest sport, people like AB don't like to lose and while he has a successful soccer team that don't mean ***** at the social club.

Edited by Nobis_Ghost
Atl Falcon likes this

8 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

TD ain’t going anywhere. There’s a reason no one ever asks AB about his confidence in TD or whether or not he will fire TD. Nobody but Falcons fans thinks TD should be fired. Every expert knows TD put together a talented roster that was good enough to win a SB or at the very least be playoff competitive. 

TDS trade mark is he’s can’t find pass rushers and trench players. It’s been that way since he got here. He got one here or there like a blind squirrel finds an acorn. Time to move on 

sdogg likes this

13 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

I would be very impressed with Arthur Blank if he came out this week and announced some of his scouts and front office personell had been let go, that would lead me to believe he is not just repeating the same "process" of bringing in poor talent and then firing coaches when they don't produce. Time to eval the whole organization and roll some heads. 

The talent is much less a problem than the Pop Warner coaching. I am ok with firing TD; I am ok keeping Dimitroff. But Quinn needs to go now, and every other coach needs to follow as soon as the season is officially over.