Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think something happened behind the scenes during the off season that we don't know about that is causing this catastrophic season?

73 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

We made a mistake when we fired Reeves

We made a mistake when we threw Zimmer out with Petrino.

We made a mistake when we didn't promote LaFluer.

We made a mistake when we went "explosive"

We made a mistake when we built the shiny new stadium with no HFA

We made a mistake when we didn't unload Julio when we could get maximum value

We made a mistake when we didn't lock Shanny up

We made a mistake when we resigned Beasley. And Baker. And DeCoud. And Jerry. And now it looks like Matthews too.

and most of all...

We made a mistake when we couldn't simply HAND THE BALL OFF 3 times in a row

We've run out of mistakes to make.

since68andcounting.....Bruh, I tried to like your post 7 times, but it wouldn't let me.  I even tried to cut a heart emoji and post it here....It wouldn't let me. 

I agree so hard with what you said.

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

We made a mistake when we resigned Beasley. And Baker. And DeCoud. And Jerry. And now it looks like Matthews too.

and most of all...

I agree with everything except the last statement. This team is nothing if not creative in finding ways to disappoint. 

5 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Freeman had 19 yards rushing yesterday and the o-line gave up 5 sacks is this a coaching issue or personnel issue? The numbers don't lie. McKay, TD, and whole scouting department needs to kick the bricks, doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Our roster is a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string talent with like 4 or 5 true NFL starters.

It's important to remember Lindstrom got injured

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I think 28-3 has never gone away. 

The Eagles WON the super bowl and they are struggling. That's normal for a team to struggle after making or winning the super bowl. Except the Patriots.

How about Quinn is just not that good of a coach. The way I understood it was he had control of draft and his choice I’d free agents. TD was in charge of getting him the players Quinn needed. Quinn defense actually looked good last half of sb year. What happened? I actually hold Blank more responsible that TD. Blank needs to quit with the “Falcons for Life”. 

Godzilla1985 likes this

15 hours ago, tldr said:

I knew something was up when Pioli just quit out of nowhere. He saw this **** coming from a mile away.

That's a really good point, that I haven't heard others mention.  Should have dropped TD and kept Pioli.

6 hours ago, runshoot said:

LOL. Sark had the #8 scoring team and 64% redzone TD rate, all while not have freeman, 6 different guards and 2 different RTs.

Keep thinking it was Sark...

I tried to say last year that Sark wasn't the problem, and nobody wanted to hear that...

Geneaut likes this

It is very possible. When you look at this roster and where we were in 2016, it is very difficult to understand quite how and why we could now be so uncompetitive. 

We have a lot of players who played  at a high level or showed real promise in 2016. It’s not as if our roster has got particularly old either.  The  2016 D was loaded with first and second year players who should have continued to improve and should now be in their prime years and Matt and Julio shouldn’t be in decline quite yet.Mack is the only key piece for 2016, whose age is such that you would have expected to see a real decline by now.

Beasley had a freak/fluke season, where he converted a ridiculous percentage of pressures in to sacks. His sack numbers from 2016 led us to trigger the 5th year option, and put us in a difficult position where we felt we “had to” stick with him in the hope of reproducing it, rather than risk letting him go.

I think we’ve been very unlucky with Freeman and Trufant, who haven’t played up to their contract - and haven’t been the same players - since their injuries. We’ve also bean unlucky with Neal’s injuries too, and I am not sure Debo is playing at anywhere near the same level since his injury either. Those are 4 young guys who played very well previously and who we expected to become or remain key cornerstones for us.

It is easy to look back with hindsight to question some of the contracts we’ve given to keep players, but I think the players we resigned were all young had all played for a while at a level which justified the contracts they were given. The riskiest on paper, were the contracts to Julio and Mack, due to their ages. 

I think we’ve been a victim of poor coaching and player development from a bad HC, combined with bad luck with injuries to several promising young players.

Club212 likes this

18 hours ago, atlndvd said:

How about, this team just is not that good?  Sure theres some individual talent that makes people want to believe on paper this is a playoff team but reality is, outside of Ryan, Julio, Sanu, Debo, Neal (done now), Grady, this team pretty much sucks.  Oh add Hooper to that short list

My list is much shorter.

7 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Doesn’t make sense. They didn’t let any key players go and everyone deserving money got paid. Nothing points to something happening backstage unless the players disliked the firings

"everyone deserving money got paid" Ryan "restructured; Jones "restructured" why? And Beas. Well he sure wasn't deserving. Nor was Freeman.

Also AB paid top money to JJ just to make him the highest paid wr. I sure don't see the great results of that. He's good but to pander to an ego thing like "highest paid" is beyond stupid.

Edited by Chaz
JDaveG likes this

16 minutes ago, Chaz said:

"everyone deserving money got paid" Ryan "restructured; Jones "restructured" why? And Beas. Well he sure wasn't deserving. Nor was Freeman.

Never said Beasley was deserving, those are your words. Plus I disqualified him because I don’t consider a 5th year option and a big pay day. At the time Freeman was deserving of a pay day. 

Geneaut likes this

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Never said Beasley was deserving, those are your words. Plus I disqualified him because I don’t consider a 5th year option and a big pay day. At the time Freeman was deserving of a pay day. 

Not personal YA, just your line fit my tirade, we cool. I just don't get the widespread justification of paying top dollar after such a disgusting performance like 28-3 

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Not personal YA, just your line fit my tirade, we cool. I just don't get the widespread justification of paying top dollar after such a disgusting performance like 28-3 

28-3 fell directly on terrible coaching. The players job was to execute but that was on coaching. No way you have a shut down 1st half then **** the bed the 2nd half and say that’s on the players. 

As for the players, at the time freeman earned his pay day. Julio and Matt earner there extra money. Sanu earned his contract. Debo and Grady earned there’s and Rico earned his. Matthews isn’t great but for market value and lack of, he earned his as well. It’s just how it goes man

45 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Also AB paid top money to JJ just to make him the highest paid wr. I sure don't see the great results of that. He's good but to pander to an ego thing like "highest paid" is beyond stupid.

Freeman is still pretty good. The offensive line is the problem. I agree Free is overpaid though

JDaveG likes this

Free had a great season in 2016 whilst  being paid the league minimum. I don’t see how anyone can say he didn’t earn a 2nd contract. His contract was a fair one too, based on performance. The problem was, he suffered a serious concussion in the first or second game after signing it, and hasn’t been the same player since.

I have far more of an issue with Julio’s contract, simply because of his age. We’ve give him a huge contract at an age where conventional wisdom says that his best seasons are almost certainly behind him, and his productivity is likely to steadily decline. We’ve made him the highest WR in NFL history, when he only has one season in his career with 10 or more regular season receiving TDs and that was all the way back in 2012.

11 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

and most of all...

This is the complete compendium of Arthur Blank as owner of this team. People try to make him seem great, but honestly, if not for lucking into Matt Ryan in 08, his record would be worse than the Smiths. At least they were inept under much more difficult player movement rules. 

1 hour ago, ukfalc said:

Free had a great season in 2016 whilst  being paid the league minimum. I don’t see how anyone can say he didn’t earn a 2nd contract. His contract was a fair one too, based on performance. The problem was, he suffered a serious concussion in the first or second game after signing it, and hasn’t been the same player since.

I have far more of an issue with Julio’s contract, simply because of his age. We’ve give him a huge contract at an age where conventional wisdom says that his best seasons are almost certainly behind him, and his productivity is likely to steadily decline. We’ve made him the highest WR in NFL history, when he only has one season in his career with 10 or more regular season receiving TDs and that was all the way back in 2012.

I’m of the Bellichick savage GM camp. They'd have used him, got tons out of him, and as soon as he wanted a massive contract, BB would send him packing for a high pick, and draft  a replacement. 

Same goes for Julio this off-season. 

On 10/21/2019 at 0:02 PM, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Maybe Quinn wanted D line help and TD/blank overruled him. That could explain why Quinn rushes 3 all the time and refuses to get creative to get after the qb. “I told you we lacked D line personnel... here yet Another game without a sack.”

Exactly

21 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Sometimes I wonder if a mafia boss threatened DQ and is forcing him to “take a dive” this season.

Surely if he was really trying he’d at least be able to get the starters to know their basic assignments?

Ikr. This season looks so rigged. Our defense looked very aggressive in the preseason and against the Eagles now they are playing passive.