Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think something happened behind the scenes during the off season that we don't know about that is causing this catastrophic season?

73 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 4dabirds said:

I now think that DQ's early success was in large part due to Kyle Shanahan's offense being able to dictate how a game was being played. Even in the KS days, the defense was still bad, but the offense was able to get quick leads and forced other teams out of their gameplan. In turn, the Falcons defense was able to feed off the success of the offense. Since the SB meltdown, and the departure of KS, everything seems to be getting worse, to the point of Quinn not knowing what to do anymore since the offense is no longer the juggernaut it once was, and the need for the D to give some sort of support. Dan Quinn is overmatched as an HC, and I do not see things turning around for him. He is not the guy.

Totally agree!!!  This defense was only marginal at best if honesty compared to rest of league.   The mask is off. 

TheUsualStuff likes this

2 hours ago, DirtyBird7000k said:

I think Quinn firing three coordinators is probably a big reason why a lot of players have quit on Quinn! The players worked hard the last 2 years? The results were not there but it seemed at times they were on the verge! But it is obvious the players had a lot of confidence in those coordinators and none in Quinn and now hey are openly rebellious against him on the field! That coupled with some really bad personal decisions are the foundation of this steaming pile of donkey crap!

But if you want to trace it back even further this is by and large the same team that gave up the largest lead in Super Bowl history! They faced no accountability then! Even got bigger, richer contracts many of them! This rebuild must be total! We need to completely close the book on this era of Falcon Football then burn the book !

Yup, for all the screaming that we did last year to get rid of Sark, I have to say, I believe we made a mistake.

DirtyBird7000k and Geneaut like this

1 hour ago, tldr said:

I knew something was up when Pioli just quit out of nowhere. He saw this **** coming from a mile away.

Interesting

Tech. The offense is the same with or without sark(still got OL problems)  but the def has gotten worst it not the same def as the superbowl one. Lot of key role player were let go and no healthy Neal, Babs and freeny and on.

Edited by me4falcons

10 hours ago, Club212 said:

He wanted to put this all on himself...MM did a ok job with all the injuries...shoulda got another year...Sark couldn't put points up & Armstrong never has any ST success...DQ wanted to put the team on his back....but the weight broke it...gotta go after the buy...Mr Blank....kick the tires on Jim Harbough please

LOL. Sark had the #8 scoring team and 64% redzone TD rate, all while not have freeman, 6 different guards and 2 different RTs.

Keep thinking it was Sark...

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians in Flowery Branch. It all needs to go. I have said it before and I will say it again, there is no way Quinn was on board for re-signing Julio, and I love Julio Jones he is one of my favorite Falcons, but I think Quinn and Dimitroff drafted Ridley because they knew Julio money issue was coming up. And I think Blank, and again this is just my opinion, I think Blank overstepped his bounds and resigned Julio and knocked our money out of whack and pissed off Quinn and TD. If you notice since the Julio money issue has come up the whole Falcons team hasn't been the same. I think there is a division in Flowery Branch with players on Quinn's side and players on Julio's side and Blank now realizes he has screwed his head coach and this is the ONLY reason Blank has not fired Quinn yet. The only way to rectify this situation is to trade Julio to Oakland. However, it is too late now, because Quinn is like Mora was, he wants Blank to fire him, he now knows he will never have free reigns to run a team the way he wants while Blank is owner. And again this is just my opinion, but I have seen Blank do this too many times in the past. It is a repetitive pattern of him burning his coaches and over stepping his bounds. When Blank hired Quinn he said he was going to give him full authority and he only answered to him. But Blank still make personell decisions and this kills the Falcons. But on the flip side of this the Falcons roster is very very poor on both lines, so I am all on board with firing EVERYONE in Flowery Branch bringing in Ed Dodds and letting him rebuild our scouting department, letting him clean our roster, and then letting him make the decision on our head coach. Ed Doddbs would be hired by Wednesday of this week if I were Blank and I would give him a office in Flowery Branch and tell him do what you gotta do and just let HR know who you want gone. Ed Dodds would have our franchise turned around in a year.

Chaz likes this

Freeman had 19 yards rushing yesterday and the o-line gave up 5 sacks is this a coaching issue or personnel issue? The numbers don't lie. McKay, TD, and whole scouting department needs to kick the bricks, doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Our roster is a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string talent with like 4 or 5 true NFL starters.

I think a lot of people have covered the "behind the scenes" things.  Beasley is not doing his job, but he got paid.  That 5th year option was big.  Falcons would have been better off letting him walk and keeping that money.  Just think about it this way.  If you let Beasley walk and have some no-name in that spot, does that make the team any worse?  We went all in on Gio, then had to bring back Bryant who we rightfully let walk.  Now that's additional bad money spent on Bryant and Gio.  That one was hard to call, its just what happens sometimes.  Freeman was bad money, we gave him the contract while we could have held off one more year.  I'm going to tell you, when it comes to skill positions on the O, I like speed players.  I liked how Freeman fit our offense in 2016, but I still hated that he was a 205 lbs RB that ran 4.58.  Especially when we had Tevin Coleman who was a bit bigger and a lot faster.  I would have waited until Freeman was set to be a free agent.  He could have played on a one year deal in 2017 or walked in Favor of Coleman.

I say all that to say Falcons have spent some bad money.  They are paying for it now and its only going to get worse.  Can't pay guys and not get a return.  All the old coaches in the building, the game has passed those guys by.

There is usually more to the story so I am sure you  are correct. Even though there is certainly more to this story that we dont know about--the main essential problem is:

1) Dan Quinn is simply NOT a good head coach 

2) Dan Quinn--although he had defensive success in Seattle, is not the defensive mastermind everyone thought he was and he seems incompetent at running a defense now. A good defensive coordinator could find a way --even with our defensive personnel--to at least be decently competitive

3) The brief success Quinn enjoyed was primarily due to Shannahan, unfortunately that success masked DQ's fatal flaws and AB let Shannhan leave and kept the wrong guy DQ

9 hours ago, crimsonhawk said:

Yup, for all the screaming that we did last year to get rid of Sark, I have to say, I believe we made a mistake.

We made a mistake when we fired Reeves

We made a mistake when we threw Zimmer out with Petrino.

We made a mistake when we didn't promote LaFluer.

We made a mistake when we went "explosive"

We made a mistake when we built the shiny new stadium with no HFA

We made a mistake when we didn't unload Julio when we could get maximum value

We made a mistake when we didn't lock Shanny up

We made a mistake when we resigned Beasley. And Baker. And DeCoud. And Jerry. And now it looks like Matthews too.

and most of all...

We made a mistake when we couldn't simply HAND THE BALL OFF 3 times in a row

We've run out of mistakes to make.

28-3 started it,  scapegoating Sark and Manuel finished it.  this is not hard to figure out...

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I still do not get how this defense was so good on national TV in week 2 but has been terrible every other week.  In that game, Beasley had a sack, Trufant had 2 interceptions, and Oliver made a great game-saving play at the end?

Great point. The roster has problems, but against philly they played their hearts out and won.

Why can’t they do that again? They’ve given up and I don’t know how to explain it.

Maybe Quinn wanted D line help and TD/blank overruled him. That could explain why Quinn rushes 3 all the time and refuses to get creative to get after the qb. “I told you we lacked D line personnel... here yet Another game without a sack.”

15 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think there is more to the story? Do you think there is more that meets the eye on why we look like this with all this talent? Something just doesn't add up. There has got to be somethings we aren't aware of.

The simple answer is our talent is over rated........the rest of the league is whipping us in most positions, scoring, defense, special teams.  I don't believe I could stand there and get whipped if I was better than the other guy.

12 hours ago, tldr said:

I knew something was up when Pioli just quit out of nowhere. He saw this **** coming from a mile away.

You read my mind. My girlfriend just brought that up yesterday. Makes me wonder if Pioli saw the writing on the wall and didn't want these decisions and this year on his GM resume. 

or was Pioli a much bigger part of the good decisions made the few years he was here.

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I still do not get how this defense was so good on national TV in week 2 but has been terrible every other week.  In that game, Beasley had a sack, Trufant had 2 interceptions, and Oliver made a great game-saving play at the end?

The Eagles are not good, and they were playing without their #1 and #2 receiver. Wentz made some terrible throws in the first half. Our defense was never good, just had some good fortune that game. 

They didn't do much on the defense in the off season and it was already bad. They figured they'd go all in on the offense and hope they could score more than the other team. It didn't work so here they sit at 1-6.

13 hours ago, stizz said:

DQ put his stamp on Beasley by exercising his 5th year and saying he'll either love me or hate me when I'm done with him. Vic responds by not showing up to OTAs. That's an automatic trip out of town by any respected coach in the league. Players don't respect him because they know it's zero consequence for their actions. 

Thoughts of a frustrated fan. (disclaimer:  My thoughts are all over the place)

- There's no accountability here.  I think a team is a better team if you have a system.  With a system, players are interchangeable.  With a system, players know what to expect day in and day out.  I think that providing a certain "predictability" lets the players relax and concentrate on their jobs, instead of the outside noise.  I hate the Patsies (a lot) but they have a SYSTEM.  They have ACCOUNTABILITY.  There are no favorites.  There is ONE chief (Bill) and everybody else are Indians.  There's a reason that he's been their coach since the late 1800s.  It's because he sets standards and sticks to them.  I know every team is different, or that we should clone the Patsies, but sometimes you have to get over yourself and leave your ego at the door.  See what works and do that or your own version of that. 

- I think Quinn is a player's coach, and that's fine.  But everybody doesn't respond to that.  Some people will use that to get comfortable and complacent.  If you get complacent in a lot of places, if you don't produce.....You're either traded or released...Simple as that.  He needs to get in somebody's @ss.  Everybody needs to be put on notice that if you don't do your job, you're done, and then kick somebody's butt to the curb!  TBH, if I got paid 14 million (or whatever the number is) and I had no consequence for not performing, I'd probably not care as much either, because I know that regardless of whether or not I get another sack, I'ma get paid tomorrow.  Everybody on the team should be playing like it's a privilege to be playing in the NFL.  They should feel like if they don't perform, they won't have a job.  They should be working their tails off.  "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard"

- STOP DROPPING LINEMAN INTO COVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!  Bruh, that's not fooling anybody!  It actually makes the lineman look foolish because they can't keep up with a TE/RB/WR.  They are paid to rush the QB and stop the run!  Maybe calling the defense AND being a HC is too much for DQ. 

- And I swear, if we don't start blitzing.....Rushing 3 and 4 people is NOT getting it done...In-game adjustments people, try it!  Just try it!

- Whoever's calling the plays, listen:  People are on to the WR screen.  It's not working. 

- Finally, (and this is serious) I think that any and everybody who played for the Falcons in that Superbowl, and are still here, needs to seek professional help.  I can imagine the grit and determination and sacrifice to make it to the biggest game of the year, dominate for d@mn near 3 quarters, then lose it, would mess with even the greatest athlete.  I mean, the havoc that a loss like that can wreak on a person's mind could be devastating.  Obviously these are tough-as-nails athletes/coaches and any perceived weakness has no place in this sport.  Even without KS calling the plays, this team is NOT been the same since then.  Not just with the record, but just with the whole swagger, the attitude.  That year, we played every game expecting to win.  Since then, we're trying not to lose.  By the way we play, we've lost our swagger.  It's almost as if we don't wanna get back on such a big stage, because we're afraid that a loss like that can happen again.  So why not seek a professional who knows how to get the team to deal with it so we can move forward.  Why not seek someone who can show the team how to use that for motivation.  This team is from Atlanta Georgia.  The F'n CAPITAL.!!  You can't be in the A-T-L for more than a day, and not have at least SOME swag!  C'mon now!!

- Clawd hammercy, these Falcons have got my pressure up!!  I'm still riding with them, and I will NOT jump ship.  Just had some stuff to get off my chest....Carry on....

Quinn came in and took remnants of Smitty's team to the Superbowl. Well, Shanahan did. And now that the team is pretty much his after a few years free Agency and drafting. Turns out he isn't head coach material after all. Heck, he may not even be coordinator material after this.

Not sure if anything happened other than what I just said.

Club212 likes this