stingbee

Atlanta Lost It’s Identity— My Take

23 posts in this topic

As I said before, I will wait till bye week to give up on the season and this regime. Unfortunately, the tape tells everything and DQ has lost the ship.  I’m not going to act like those fans that want everything fired and traded. Most of these fans are new fans or just cannot grasp the big picture.

The Falcons are not going to fire TD and Quinn at the same time. It is sad to see what is happening to Dan Quinn. I believe he was naive in believing he could have a good pass rushing unit. His biggest mistake was Vic Beasley and keeping him. 

The Falcons were not too lucky with their OL investments. Injuries pushed back the progress of that unit. Freeman is not the same RB, and the OL woes hasn’t helped in terms blocking or creating space. Today was a good indication that our OL was a mess and poor Matty was under pressure most of the game. 

The defense is weak in terms of CB and pass rushing. Going forward, next year, you can pretty much see that the Falcons are going to go heavy fixing the defense. I expect 70-80% of the draft allocated towards the defense. The Falcons will probably finish top 3 for the draft, and they could move back to get more drafts. 

I expect a trade or two now as Falcons try to look forward and get more drafts for next season. Sanu could be traded now since the Falcons situation has changed. I expect the Falcons might trade Freeman for something just to get something. Trufant is pretty much gone. I don’t see a cap issue because the Falcons will be cutting a lot of these players. The OL will be refitted again with two or more additions via free agency or draft or trades.

Julio and Matt Ryan are staples of this organization and most coaches will be willing to take the HC position for having the talent on the offense. The offense is not an issue. They will extend Hooper because he is becoming an important piece of the pie. The Falcons are not going away from Julio because of the recent contracts. The Falcons NEED to fix the defense. This should be priority one. The OL will get better with the two new rookie once they get more experience. 

I’m not pessimistic like some of you who are simply just out there to fire everyone. This team has some good core players. You guys need to cut your emotions and think rationally. This organization has done some great things in the last 10 years or so. People forget the success this team had achieved during many seasons. We brought some great FA talent and drafted some good players. Not every investment is going to payoff. We have to be realistic with our expectations.

I feel bad for DQ. He is a good guy and a decent Coordinator. But, unfortunately, he made some bad adjustments and his schemes/philosophy didn’t worked. This team will rise again soon, and this season will be forgotten. We just need to fix the defense and we will be good. The OL needs some tweaking, but we have the core talent to make it better. AB is not just going to fire TD. TD might have a different role in the future. Matt Ryan is not going anywhere, nor will Julio Jones—unless a team makes an offer that is too enticing to ignore.  

Edited by stingbee
Stevo, capitan and Smiler11 like this

Did you have to write a encyclopedia explaining what a 100 other threads have already stated? I did make it though 3/4th of the read.....that’s a accomplishment!

Oh yeah, they can most certainly get rid of Quinn and the Fancy haircut, at the same time! They must do it and let the new Coach/GM decide what to do with Ryan/Julio and all the rest with bloated contracts! They will be a price to pay and the players especially all the ones from 28-3 will be the first to pay!

Edited by DirtyBird7000k

We haven't had a true identity since Shanny left. Our identity on offense is nowhere to be found and whatever semblance of it that was left was thrown in the trash when Koetter was hired. Our identity was a high powered offense that stepped on other teams' throats and a good enough defense that created turnovers. That should have never changed.

The Sark hire was a huge gamble. It just wasn't the right time for a former alcoholic and college coach to take over the keys to a historic offense. He then got scapegoated and was fired. That was all on Quinn and the beginning of an identity fading away. The first nail in the coffin.

Then, he hired Koetter, who is Mr. 4 verticals, to run his version of an outside zone/Shanny/Sark scheme. Quinn's words...not mine. Maybe Quinn thought it would be an easy transition because Koetter has worked with Matt before. Clearly, he was wrong because IDK what kind of offense is on the field week in and week out. That was the second nail in the identity coffin.

The third nail was just little while ago when Quinn said last week that he had no plans to give up playcalling duties but he said in his latest press conference that he's distributed defensive playcalling duties. Basically scapegoating again and putting the third nail and final nail on the identity coffin. 

28-3 ruined Quinn and he had no idea how to right to ship because Shanny was the one who carried this team. Quinn's tried to recreate that '16 season and he's failed miserably. 

falconticket and SoldMySoul like this

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird7000k said:

Did you have to write a encyclopedia explaining what a 100 other threads have already stated? I did make it though 3/4th of the read.....that’s a accomplishment!

Oh yeah, they can most certainly get rid of Quinn and the Fancy haircut, at the same time! They must do it and let the new Coach/GM decide what to do with Ryan/Julio and all the rest with bloated contracts! They will be a price to pay and the players especially all the ones from 28-3 will be the first to pay!

The point is that some of us are not as emotionally charged with immature claims and being the firing squad. We just have to understand that sometimes in life the outcomes are different than we planned. The Falcons plan didn’t worked and we failed. This is not the end of the world. 

Stevo likes this

Atlanta lost its identity when the Patriots took their soul in the Super Bowl. The Falcons may not recover until most of those involved are gone. Unfortunately, I don’t see a quick turnaround.

DirtyBird7000k likes this

Just now, stingbee said:

The point is that some of us are not as emotionally charged with immature claims and being the firing squad. We just have to understand that sometimes in life the outcomes are different than we planned. The Falcons plan didn’t worked and we failed. This is not the end of the world. 

It is the End of the World as far as this era of Falcon football is concerned! The players have utterly quit on this Coaching Staff, the Fans have utterly quit on this team including me! We want this book closed and then burned never to be opened again! And 28-3 with it! Then maybe just maybe the Sun will eventually rise once more...... 

Shelley#37 and Narcaguga like this

3 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Falcons losing or winning won’t make a difference to my life. But just like any business, Failure has consequences. 

We have coaching problems and roster problems. Sounds like OP wants to focus on the roster problems, so here they are:

* Beasley is "just a guy" (JAG)

* Takk is maybe a year or 2 away from breaking out, or maybe is is also JAG

* Trufant is no longer borderline elite. He's JAG

* We don't have a 2nd starting caliber outside corner

* We don't have anyone who is starting caliber on the EDGE

* All our linebackers except Deion Jones are JAG or worse

* Deion Jones might have dropped to JAG, or maybe he looks bad because of everyone else

* Our safeties (outside of Keanu who might not ever come back) are JAG or worse.

So, our entire defense outside of Grady, Deion Jones, and some good rotation guys on the inside of the line, is scrap.

We had some d talent in 2016. But much of it declined.

mqg96 and sdogg like this

2 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

We have coaching problems and roster problems. Sounds like OP wants to focus on the roster problems, so here they are:

* Beasley is "just a guy" (JAG)

* Takk is maybe a year or 2 away from breaking out, or maybe is is also JAG

* Trufant is no longer borderline elite. He's JAG

* We don't have a 2nd starting caliber outside corner

* We don't have anyone who is starting caliber on the EDGE

* All our linebackers except Deion Jones are JAG or worse

* Deion Jones might have dropped to JAG, or maybe he looks bad because of everyone else

* Our safeties (outside of Keanu who might not ever come back) are JAG or worse.

So, our entire defense outside of Grady, Deion Jones, and some good rotation guys on the inside of the line, is scrap.

We had some d talent in 2016. But much of it declined.

You fix the defense with draft and FA next year and you are good. They will move some assets and will bring young talent to the team. The core will be intact...

Ryan

Julio

Calvin

Hooper

Mack will be extended (he can still play for 2 more seasons in my book)

2 OL rookies will get better

Matthews

RB- Quad and Ito and maybe another new addition (FA or draft). Freeman will be released or traded.

Defense:

Grady

Debo

Rico

Neal (hopefully he recovers) 

The focus will be on defense and edge rushers. I expect the Falcons will have more spots than standard draft allocation.  

37 minutes ago, DirtyBird7000k said:

You're an ***.  If you don't like the "encyclopedia" move onto another thread and STFU!!!!!!!

stingbee likes this

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird7000k said:

It is the End of the World as far as this era of Falcon football is concerned! The players have utterly quit on this Coaching Staff, the Fans have utterly quit on this team including me! We want this book closed and then burned never to be opened again! And 28-3 with it! Then maybe just maybe the Sun will eventually rise once more...... 

Well said

I actually believe we lost a great identity from 2008-10 with Smitty. Ball control with strong running attack that ran clock and a defense that played tough and wasn’t afraid to play with an edge. Special teams that put a premium on field position. Then AB demanded we go explosive after the GB loss. That’s the identity I loved. It was a prescription for success that wins Super Bowls. 

This teams need a complete rebranding. New GM, new HC, new uniforms and complete reboot. The question is if Arthur Blank sees it that way and if he does, who does he entrust this mission. 

48 minutes ago, stingbee said:

You fix the defense with draft and FA next year and you are good. They will move some assets and will bring young talent to the team. The core will be intact...

Ryan

Julio

Calvin

Hooper

Matthews

RB- Quad and Ito and maybe another new addition (FA or draft). Freeman will be released or traded.

Defense:

Grady

Debo

Rico

The focus will be on defense and edge rushers. I expect the Falcons will have more spots than standard draft allocation.  

What happens when we "fix the defense" and then Quinn takes our new and improved DEs and drops them into coverage every other play?

Edited by LouDog

Sorry. I don't think it's pessimistic when MM was fired last season because of "flow" or some crap and DQ said he was going to take over the defense, and it's markedly worse than it was before. DQ bit off more than he could chew trying to be a HC and DC at the same time when he's a relatively new HC. He took his fate into his own hands, and now that fate is sealed. 

I gave up on the team today. The Rams looked like a beatable team at home, and they just bent over and got spanked. It's over. I'll give the OP credit for having the patience to wait until the bye, but. The Seahawks are going to destroy us. 

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

We haven't had a true identity since Shanny left. Our identity on offense is nowhere to be found and whatever semblance of it that was left was thrown in the trash when Koetter was hired. Our identity was a high powered offense that stepped on other teams' throats and a good enough defense that created turnovers. That should have never changed.

The Sark hire was a huge gamble. It just wasn't the right time for a former alcoholic and college coach to take over the keys to a historic offense. He then got scapegoated and was fired. That was all on Quinn and the beginning of an identity fading away. The first nail in the coffin.

Then, he hired Koetter, who is Mr. 4 verticals, to run his version of an outside zone/Shanny/Sark scheme. Quinn's words...not mine. Maybe Quinn thought it would be an easy transition because Koetter has worked with Matt before. Clearly, he was wrong because IDK what kind of offense is on the field week in and week out. That was the second nail in the identity coffin.

The third nail was just little while ago when Quinn said last week that he had no plans to give up playcalling duties but he said in his latest press conference that he's distributed defensive playcalling duties. Basically scapegoating again and putting the third nail and final nail on the identity coffin. 

28-3 ruined Quinn and he had no idea how to right to ship because Shanny was the one who carried this team. Quinn's tried to recreate that '16 season and he's failed miserably. 

Yep!!!!

2 hours ago, stingbee said:

Ryan

Julio

Calvin

Hooper

Matthews

Defense:

Grady

Debo

Rico

Yeah, that's probably about right. A really good defensive focused draft plus a mostly defensive focused free agency, and we're back in business.

But ... we have to solve the coaching problem too. There's no way we should be playing _this_ bad on defense. It's like our D is not even on the field half the time.

A random motivational speaker with no coaching experience could have a roster worse than this one playing better.

So we need a new coach. And that being the case, I think we should go for an offensive mind.

2 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

Atlanta lost its identity when the Patriots took their soul in the Super Bowl. The Falcons may not recover until most of those involved are gone. Unfortunately, I don’t see a quick turnaround.

They didn't take the Falcons' soul, the Birds gave up the ghost.

The biggest difference between this team and the team that was up 28-3 in the Super Bowl is that we had a pass rush that could get to the QB and a dominant 1-2 punch at RB.  Coming into this season, the success or failure of the team would lay upon Freeman's healthy return from injury and Beasley and or Takk stepping up as a pass rusher.  In order for Quinn's scheme to work, you have to get pressure from the front four and it has been nonexistant this year.  I'm not sure why Beasley has regressed so much since his breakout sophomore year (perhaps having him drop into coverage 1/2 the time has something to do with it.) but the failures of this team are due to a lack of running game and pass rush.  A healthy running game will do wonders to mask deficiencies on the OL. 

I think the biggest part of losing our identity, was trying to still keep the same one shanahan gave us. Hence why we kept trying to stick with his playbook and now we're trying to be something we're not. A power run team featuring small backs with an air coryell passing game. 

It's really too many chiefs and not enough Indians on offense. 

vitaman likes this