Sun Tzu 7

Who’s the better coach? Smitty or Quinn

108 posts in this topic

It baffles me that there are people who think Quinn is a better coach than Smith.  Have you guys not watched this season at all?  This was the season that Quinn supposedly took over the defense, and look how inept that side of the ball has looked all season long.  The defense under Smith never looked this bad.  I don’t get it.  Based on what happened so far this season, I said any success Quinn had prior to this season was due to someone else works and not his own.  Don’t forget this was the same guy that was going to hire someone to manage time for him because he doesn’t know when to call timeout or run off the clock. Smith on the sideline would be chalking down notes on what was going during the game.  Quinn just shake his head and chuckle when being fooled by a fake punt.

Sell The Team, Art likes this

2 hours ago, freefall said:

It baffles me that there are people who think Quinn is a better coach than Smith.  Have you guys not watched this season at all?  This was the season that Quinn supposedly took over the defense, and look how inept that side of the ball has looked all season long.  The defense under Smith never looked this bad.  I don’t get it.  Based on what happened so far this season, I said any success Quinn had prior to this season was due to someone else works and not his own.  Don’t forget this was the same guy that was going to hire someone to manage time for him because he doesn’t know when to call timeout or run off the clock. Smith on the sideline would be chalking down notes on what was going during the game.  Quinn just shake his head and chuckle when being fooled by a fake punt.

Smitty's teams didn't have penalties.  

Quinn's team this year?

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=numpen

That answers that...

That’s an easy one. Smitty always got more out of less. His problem was just that with being a horrible talent evaluator thinking he could coach everyone up who shouldn’t have been in the league, much less starters. 

Smitty 66-46 - (7 seasons) inherited a Quitrino dumpster fire, worked with lesser talent than Quinn

Quinn 37-34 -  (4.5 seasons) inherited a better situation than Smitty, more talent than Smitty. 

Smitty after 4.5 seasons - 48-23

i don’t even see a comparison. 

I’ll throw in Leeman Bennett for good measure. 6 seasons 46-41. 

Smitty was the Milquetoast of coaches. While only having defense responsibilities, that was too much for him and he got fired mid season from tampa bay. He was the king of bringing in aging veterans and rarely gave youngsters a chance. When he finally did try to let young players a chance, it was fielding an all UDFA LB corps. Good dude, but bad coach.