Sun Tzu 7

Who’s the better coach? Smitty or Quinn

108 posts in this topic

Dan Reeves did more with a lot less than either one of these  Coaches.. WE should have kept Shanny here and let Quinn go. It would be a whole differant World of Football around here.... I hope that Blank goes ahead and makes the change so the new Coach can figure out what he needs to do in His first off season.. Better sooner rather than latter. This year is sunk anyway... Lets get a change going now...JMO

Quinn and it isn’t even close. 

Quinn at lease got us to the dance. Smith toyed with us for years. Under Quinn we’ve had a lot more ups and downs. Neither are capable of leading players.

If not for Matt Ryan, both coaches wouldn’t be $hit. 

Knight of God likes this

Just now, I Even Bleed Red said:

Smitty didn't get to build the team how he wanted. Blank interfered with him building his DL and OL drafting Julio. 

Check the SIG. 

Wasn’t Blank

Osiruz likes this

4 hours ago, zekeyboy1 said:

What players has he developed? Ill give you GRady I guess..But he was already good...

Grady wasn't all that good, I would also say he developed Deion Jones, Neal, and Rico. We have more defensive talent than at any point during the smitty tenure, he just doesnt know how to coach it.

9 hours ago, ratesforless said:

Flacco would've gotten his but I agree that the Falcons likely win that game. TG, Abraham, and Turner go out as champions, there is no urgency to bring in guys like Osi or Steven Jackson who were passed their primes. No telling how the next two years go had they beaten the Niners.

But they didn't, so...

That was TDs failure to respect what we had done in 2012. 

Quinn took the building blocks of Smitty's team to the superbowl.. Since then, not much has been done by Quinn to build a productive team.. Sure, Quinn can find athletes.. But that dosnt equal football players.. Id be cool bringing Smitty back as temporary hc after we fire Quinn.. At least for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, Embrace the suck said:

Grady wasn't all that good, I would also say he developed Deion Jones, Neal, and Rico. We have more defensive talent than at any point during the smitty tenure, he just doesnt know how to coach it.

Idk if you can actually include Neal.. Hes played 3 games in whats going to be the last 2 years.. 3 games out of 32 isnt alot to build a strong opinion on 

17 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Idk if you can actually include Neal.. Hes played 3 games in whats going to be the last 2 years.. 3 games out of 32 isnt alot to build a strong opinion on 

Still when he is on the field he is a good player. The defense has some ok players at all 3 levels, the problem is we have the wrong coach/philosophy. The niners Robert Saleh runs the cover 3, he is just better at it than Dan Quinn.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Smitty by a wide margin.

Mike Smith's shortcomings wre his failure to adapt and change to better utilize his improved talent.

But his strength was EXACTLY what we needed when he was hired. His early teams, following the Vick/Petrino disaster, were lacking in overall talent, but he coached them to be fundamentally sound, to play with discipline and professionalism, and to avoid beating yourself with stupid penalties and mistakes.

Not sure what Quinn's strengths are? Other than hiring Kyle Shanahan?

opensource001 likes this

I’ll say Quinn. Smitty was too bland and cautious and folded anytime we played anybody good. We didn’t have the head scratching losses against teams we were supposed to beat, I’ll give him that. But when it came time to play the big boys, Mike Smiths teams got pushed around. 

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Quinn took the building blocks of Smitty's team to the superbowl.. Since then, not much has been done by Quinn to build a productive team.. Sure, Quinn can find athletes.. But that dosnt equal football players.. Id be cool bringing Smitty back as temporary hc after we fire Quinn.. At least for the rest of the season. 

Smitty wasn’t even responsible for player acquisition. And guys like Freeman and Rico weren’t even utilized while Mike Smith was here. Hardly would say Mike Smith left building blocks when he couldn’t even build on the talent he had 

4 hours ago, Embrace the suck said:

Yeah, Grady was a 4th round pick I think, so everyone passed on him 3 times in the draft. He has gotten better or at least shown to be better than he was thought of in College. 

1 hour ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Smitty by a wide margin.

Mike Smith's shortcomings wre his failure to adapt and change to better utilize his improved talent.

But his strength was EXACTLY what we needed when he was hired. His early teams, following the Vick/Petrino disaster, were lacking in overall talent, but he coached them to be fundamentally sound, to play with discipline and professionalism, and to avoid beating yourself with stupid penalties and mistakes.

Not sure what Quinn's strengths are? Other than hiring Kyle Shanahan?

Ha! And he didn’t even hire him. He was in place before Quinn was hired IIRC

21 hours ago, Vandy said:

Also lost Michael turner for 5 games that season. 

Oh snap!  I had completely forgotten that.  Well played.

Vandy likes this

43 minutes ago, opensource001 said:

Oh snap!  I had completely forgotten that.  Well played.

They almost beat Aints with Snelling and Redman if not for the BS penalty which negates Brent Grime Pick.

13 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Smitty wasn’t even responsible for player acquisition. And guys like Freeman and Rico weren’t even utilized while Mike Smith was here. Hardly would say Mike Smith left building blocks when he couldn’t even build on the talent he had 

DQ and KS drafted Teco to be starter. It wasn’t until injury to Teco Freeman became starter. He was an accidental starter and took off.

12 hours ago, Skott Lee said:

Yeah, Grady was a 4th round pick I think, so everyone passed on him 3 times in the draft. He has gotten better or at least shown to be better than he was thought of in College. 

Grady was fifth round pick and had off field concerns which is why he fell. If DQ is good in developing DT why is a 3rd round Pick Senat inactive for better part of 2 years?

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

DQ and KS drafted Teco to be starter. It wasn’t until injury to Teco Freeman became starter. He was an accidental starter and took off.

.....ok? Freeman was the starter until he got injured in the pre-season. 

Grady was fifth round pick and had off field concerns which is why he fell. If DQ is good in developing DT why is a 3rd round Pick Senat inactive for better part of 2 years?

What “off the field” concerns were there? Because Tuggle was his Dad? 

31 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

.....ok? Freeman was the starter until he got injured in the pre-season. 

Nope. He was never a starter. It’s funny how many guys DQ couldn’t coach, Second and third rounders Smitty made them play at high level. He had Lofton, Moore, Corey Peters Alford, Decoud and UDFA like Harvey Dahl, Brent Grimes.  DQ has list of Jalen Collins, Duke Riley,  Senat, Oliver among others who are busts.

They almost beat Aints with Snelling and Redman if not for the BS penalty which negates Brent Grime Pick.

****!  Yall are killing it.  Props to all the long time Falcons fans bringing out the history my brain is trying to protect me from.  Keep it coming.

Not Quinn,

Bryan Cox.

Develops Grady & Beasleys best year.  What does Quinn do?

Fire him.