Sun Tzu 7

Who’s the better coach? Smitty or Quinn

108 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Considering Quinn hasn't even finished his 5th season, while Smitty went 7 seasons, I would say Quinn since he took us to the super bowl and won 10 games without Shanahan and won a playoff game as well.

Comparing the first 5 seasons.

Quinn went to a Super Bowl but only had 2 winning seasons.

Smitty didn’t have a losing season but Quinn has a better postseason record.  Without Shanahan it’s about the same.

Smitty had a playoff win with DK which seems like an accomplishment now

25 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Comparing the first 5 seasons.

Quinn went to a Super Bowl but only had 2 winning seasons.

Smitty didn’t have a losing season but Quinn has a better postseason record.  Without Shanahan it’s about the same.

Smitty had a playoff win with DK which seems like an accomplishment now

At the end of the day, as a head coach, Quinn still has a better record in the playoffs, and should have a super bowl ring. DK was the same OC that had our offense looking the same as it is now. Not much of a running game, but we could throw with anyone in the league. As much flak as what Sark got, would it not be an accomplishment for Quinn getting a win?

3 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

At the end of the day, as a head coach, Quinn still has a better record in the playoffs, and should have a super bowl ring. DK was the same OC that had our offense looking the same as it is now. Not much of a running game, but we could throw with anyone in the league. As much flak as what Sark got, would it not be an accomplishment for Quinn getting a win?

But instead Quinn has 28-3 the greatest choke job in history.

And those 2 special team turnovers really helped with that Sark playoff win.

Vandy likes this

I'd say they're about equal if I had to pick gun to my head I'm going Smitty was better only because he never got the chance to blow a Superbowl....we were up 27-7 on SF and managed to lose the NFCCG. 

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

But instead Quinn has 28-3 the greatest choke job in history.

And those 2 special team turnovers really helped with that Sark playoff win.

Dan Quinn was the head coach still and special teams is apart of the game as well as turnovers. 

So many will downplay Quinn and say Kyle was the reason we were even in the super bowl, but blast Quinn for 28-3, yet Kyle decided not t o run the ball.

4 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Smitty would have won a championship with that 2016 Kyle Shannahan offense

Doubtful, Smittys defenses blew leads too. 

5 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Dan Quinn was the head coach still and special teams is apart of the game as well as turnovers. 

So many will downplay Quinn and say Kyle was the reason we were even in the super bowl, but blast Quinn for 28-3, yet Kyle decided not t o run the ball.

Kind of hard to dismiss the 25 unanswered in 1 1/2 quarters.

Quinn was calling the defense then and the way they’re playing now sure reminds me of that.  They can’t slow, let alone stop, anyone.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

About 3 months people were very passionate about Quinn being better.

I remember something about ‘Theres no way Quinn will have a 4-12 season’

I think we can all agree this is Quinn’s last season.

So Quinn has 2 playoff wins over Smitty.

Smitty got his team to the playoffs 2 more times than Quinn.

Smitty only had 2 losing seasons

And unless this team doesn’t lose another game Quinn will only have 2 winning seasons.

So does anyone still think Quinn is better than Smitty?

3 months ago I said Quinn. 

I was wrong. 

Sun Tzu 7 and Schwarzwald like this

I said Mike Smith because he overachieved with the players and coordinators we had here during his tenure. I believe he could win the SB with this team. Smitty ran a tight ship, a well-disciplined penalty-free team, a well-oiled machine. I believe his un-doing was the FO attempting to go "explosive". I mean, we were a foot out the door away from the SB in 2012.

Skott Lee likes this

I think Smitty was on the right track until Blank overreacted to the Green Bay playoff loss in the wrong way by proclaiming “we need to be more explosive“ on offense and sold the farm for Julio. It overruled Smitty’s ball control offense philosophy and forced him to coach in a way he was uncomfortable with. I just don’t know what happened after 2013. It just seems Atlanta teams have brushes with success and then a single epic failure sends them into a tailspin they can’t recover from. 1996 Braves (the Leyritz game), 2012 NFC championship game, 2016 Super Bowl....

Halcon-1 likes this

6 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

I said Mike Smith because he overachieved with the players and coordinators we had here during his tenure. I believe he could win the SB with this team. Smitty ran a tight ship, a well-disciplined penalty-free team, a well-oiled machine. I believe his un-doing was the FO attempting to go "explosive". I mean, we were a foot out the door away from the SB in 2012.

Ha ha... same idea you beat me to it!

Halcon-1 likes this

3 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

I think Smitty was on the right track until Blank overreacted to the Green Bay playoff loss in the wrong way by proclaiming “we need to be more explosive“ on offense and sold the farm for Julio. It overruled Smitty’s ball control offense philosophy and forced him to coach in a way he was uncomfortable with. I just don’t know what happened after 2013. It just seems Atlanta teams have brushes with success and then a single epic failure sends them into a tailspin they can’t recover from. 1996 Braves (the Leyritz game), 2012 NFC championship game, 2016 Super Bowl....

Here’s what happened after 2013.

Injuries

6 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Smitty lost me when he said a pass rush is not really needed to help the defense! I was like what did he just say??

And I’ll put Dan Reeves and Leeman Bennett ahead of Quinn. They both inherited bad situations nearly as bad as Smitty. Reeves got us to a Super Bowl and was fired prematurely during a season in which began with Vick’s season ending injury. Kurt Kittner was the QB. Bennett was fired prematurely by Rankin Smith after a 5-4 record in a strike year. If owners had stuck with them I believe they would have had more success. 

ratesforless likes this

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Here’s what happened after 2013.

Injuries

I agree but somehow the players seemed to give up on him in the process. 

6 minutes ago, TX Falcon said:

Smitty lost me when he said a pass rush is not really needed to help the defense! I was like what did he just say??

Quinn said something to that effect too. Sacks aren’t that important, I think. 

35 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Smitty would have won a championship with that 2016 Kyle Shannahan offense

He would have run the ball after Julio’s catch to set up a clinching FG for sure. 

Edited by Skott Lee
TX Falcon and ratesforless like this

1 hour ago, opensource001 said:

Mike Smith had a winning season when he lost Matt Ryan as the starter and had to start Chris Redman for a couple of games.  I'm not sure why I just remembered that.   I guess what I'm trying to say is DQ is just awful and shouldn't be compared to an actual NFL coach.

That 2009 team is my favorite Falcons team. They fought hard and broke the back to back winning seasons curse

opensource001 and Halcon-1 like this

4 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Quinn said something to that effect too. Sacks aren’t that important, I think. 

See thats crazy! I think the report shows we have not had a sack on a QB since week 2! Now that means we are not getting any pressure on any of the teams QB which means their QB has all day to find an open WR or TE!

Edited by TX Falcon