Sun Tzu 7

Who’s the better coach? Smitty or Quinn

108 posts in this topic

About 3 months people were very passionate about Quinn being better.

I remember something about ‘Theres no way Quinn will have a 4-12 season’

I think we can all agree this is Quinn’s last season.

So Quinn has 2 playoff wins over Smitty.

Smitty got his team to the playoffs 2 more times than Quinn.

Smitty only had 2 losing seasons

And unless this team doesn’t lose another game Quinn will only have 2 winning seasons.

So does anyone still think Quinn is better than Smitty?

Didn't Mike Smith have heart trouble? Maybe a healthy Mike Smith would be better but I don't think he's healthy.

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And Smitty went 5-1 in the division in his last season.

Lets see if Quinn can match

Let's see if Ryan can play by then first...

Both have had good moments during there runs.Both had different traits.MS teams don’t beat themselves and were more disciplined.

DQs team got closer just didn’t finish.Right now perspectives will be towards MS but to me they’ve both come up short.

Time to move on.Please don’t let DK anywhere near coaching this team again.

Vandy and HouseofEuphoria like this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And Smitty went 5-1 in the division in his last season.

Lets see if Quinn can match

Well it would be laughable at best if we were the worst team since the 7-9 seahawks to win their division. However, I highly doubt that with this dumpster fire of a scheme and Matt Ryan going to have at least a high ankle sprain.

Considering Quinn hasn't even finished his 5th season, while Smitty went 7 seasons, I would say Quinn since he took us to the super bowl and won 10 games without Shanahan and won a playoff game as well.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Mike Smith had a winning season when he lost Matt Ryan as the starter and had to start Chris Redman for a couple of games.  I'm not sure why I just remembered that.   I guess what I'm trying to say is DQ is just awful and shouldn't be compared to an actual NFL coach.

Faithful Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Had that PI on Roddy brrn flagged, or Gonzo gotten the pass instead, we would have killed Baltimore.

Flacco would've gotten his but I agree that the Falcons likely win that game. TG, Abraham, and Turner go out as champions, there is no urgency to bring in guys like Osi or Steven Jackson who were passed their primes. No telling how the next two years go had they beaten the Niners.

But they didn't, so...

It’s an interesting question. Both failed to make great defenses during their tenure. Both had very small flashes of their defenses playing good too. 

Speaking to their high points, they both have different strengths and weaknesses. Seems like Smitty had his players more fundamentally sound and the teams rarely committed penalties. Team executed well on game plans. Quinn on the other hand has always had the team look sloppier but he also had the ability to get them up and play at their absolute best during the critical games. He also seemed like the better talent evaluator. 

Id probably give the edge to Smitty for consistency and discipline. But it’s really close. Like 52-48

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

DQ has a much better eye for talent and the draft than Smitty, but Smitty is a better head coach. He is better at game management and xs and os. Both are terrible at what they do best though. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Smitty. Looking back at Quinn's tenure he really was just a meh coach. All talk and not a ton of results. The 2016 team was all Shanahan. Without him that team was maybe 9-7 and that might be optimistic. Smitty wasn't perfect but he was the right hire to right the ship post Vick.