SirCzah

Fire TD First

118 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If Quinn has total control, why is TD here?

He does nothing, yet he is indispensable to our success. One of these things is not like the other. 

He scouts? He negotiates contracts? You know better than that.

43 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If Quinn has total control, why is TD here?

He does nothing, yet he is indispensable to our success. One of these things is not like the other. 

There are plenty of teams that have the head coach with complete control that still have.  GM's.... that actually is very common in today's NFL...Seattle, Oakland...several others.

Quinn does not have complete control like say a Pete Carroll.   But he has considerable more say and Personnel matters than somebody like it Adam gase or Doug Marrone....and at the end of the day he gets the players that he wants...IE Alvin Bailey.....James Carpenter and others

The fact is TD for Better or Worse as always done what he could to supply the coaching staffs with the players of their choosing.   

He signed so many former Jaguar players that it became a joke, he got Nolan several of his players.....he loaded up the falcons with former Redskin players because of Shannahan.

I mean whos idea do you think it was to sign Rex "sexy rexy" Grossman to a contract??

Do I think he is indispensable? No do I think we could probably use a new voice? Possibly...... just like what part of me wants to give Quinn one more year there's another part of me that just wants to cut ties right now.

kiwifalcon likes this

Make Bill Polian and Bill Parcells offers they can’t refuse (up to minority ownership) for full time consulting svc.  I’d evaluate everything from the scouting and draft board mgt to the game day, practice and clubhouse environments.  We need professional NFL atmosphere installed top to bottom.   No favorites, no sacred cows.   If I was blank I’d fire my concubine(s) if they got in my way.  Enough of the coddling and rah rah.   No one is above the cap versus value scales. Time for a real defense anchored by a beastly nasty line and same for offense.   Get innovative coordinators but philosophy must be hard nosed period!!!!!!

kiwifalcon likes this

We need a cpl nasty lineman, a beast running back, keep hoop, a cpl beasts on D line and edges, two real cornerbacks and some coaches who aren’t fossils to run this thing and one professional/experiences HC who won’t be intimidated by any stars.  GM sb a complimentary fit with similar vision and proven talent evaluator.   

17 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Good....let him do those things as a director of scouting, or player personnel supervisor...

Give the General Manager title to someone who wants to own that position, not lease out responsibilities so he doesn't drown when the ship sinks 

JDaveG likes this

24 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I’m assured Quinn is responsible for poor scouting. 

Other people can negotiate contracts. 

The problem is people are in a feedback loop where Quinn is blamed for anything wrong with the team. And I’m not defending Quinn so it’s a little weird. 

TD has always been terrible at drafting the trenches and building depth. Both were key factors in our downfall. We need a fresh start. 

I do fear that Arthur doesn't have the desire and stamina to push the reboot button and if he ends up firing DQ but keeping TD, we are no better off 

JDaveG likes this

40 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

DQ is in charge of what he wants player and coaching wise anything to do with the teams day to day.

TD in charge of the scouting draft and salary cap.

TD basically facilitates what the HC asks for.

In your estimation has he done that well, big picture?  

I just don’t get how TD gets credit for Grady Jarrett but Vic Beasley is Quinn’s fault. I don’t get how TD went and got Mack but he didn’t get Jake Matthews or Trufant or the other overpaid underproducing players we have. Much less Jalen Collins and Hageman and those guys.

Quinn didn’t tell TD “go get me Wes Schweitzer.”  At some point the GM has to at least own the draft or what is he even doing?

18 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I just don’t get how TD gets credit for Grady Jarrett but Vic Beasley is Quinn’s fault. I don’t get how TD went and got Mack but he didn’t get Jake Matthews or Trufant or the other overpaid underproducing players we have. Much less Jalen Collins and Hageman and those guys.

Quinn didn’t tell TD “go get me Wes Schweitzer.”  At some point the GM has to at least own the draft or what is he even doing?

In my estimations yes and no.I’ve seen good stuff over periods and not so good in others.

Ill say this in his time there has been a disturbing cycle of having these 2 year down periods that I can’t put my finger on.

If we are to move foward with TD these decisions made by coach or GM need to be identified so they are not repeated.

Talent selected I’d have thought that process would be alot easier with the HC basically giving a clearer picture in what he wanted.

Guys like Schweitzer I don’t mind as I never really saw him as a long term fix.Disturbing to me though in taking a guy like Wes and asking him to swap sides was perplexing.6th round pick he’s adequate depth in my eyes.

VB is a DQ decision to keep him and he’s eating it because of that and it’s warranted.

Cmon Dave you know how the blame game works on here.TDs been eating that line for years.Apparently it was all KS doing that the Falcons went to the SB in 2016 DQ and TD had nothing to do with it.

20 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

In my eyes when it comes to drafting the GM is only going to be as good as the people and messaging the HC gives him.

Its a collaboration all in all in my eyes poor drafting is never on one person.

Much the same as on the field individually who cares.Team first I see much the same in the draft process.

I don’t see this as either/or. I see it as both/and. 

When assigning blame for a football team that cannot sustain success, I can blame the coach and still not absolve the GM. What I’m saying is if they fire Quinn and keep TD, I now expect to see this same problem 2-3 years down the road. Because it’s the coach. But it’s not JUST the coach. 

ZoneOne01 likes this

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don’t see this as either/or. I see it as both/and. 

When assigning blame for a football team that cannot sustain success, I can blame the coach and still not absolve the GM. What I’m saying is if they fire Quinn and keep TD, I now expect to see this same problem 2-3 years down the road. Because it’s the coach. But it’s not JUST the coach. 

Could well be Dave and this thee decision AB has to determine.

To fire TD there’s cause for sure as they’ve used multiple different structures to try and get success that’s why I’d off load him.

Maybe it is time for someone different who knows.But we’ll be finding out sooner than later as if your firing either the search needs to start now.

JDaveG likes this

5 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

Dimitrioff must go. There are literally zero excuses for him 

I don't think the roster is bad, the talent is there we just have horrible coaching

Absolutely, he's the first person I'd fire. His inability to put together a offensive or defensive line in the 11 years he's been here is a problem. Bad drafting, bad FA contracts is his part of this whole mess.

He doesn't deserve the opportunity to fix it because he hasn't proven that he can. 

JDaveG, D.B.N. and Lowndesfalc like this

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Didn’t we do this already with TD and MS.

hahahah one year when smitty said... sacks don't matter... 

6 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Why is McKay still here? Why is Blank still taking his advice. The game has passed him by. He needs no input on the next GM. Newxt team President and GM needs to be ED DODDS. Period end of discussion. A NFL GM THAT CAN EVALUATE LINEMEN!

Couldn't agree more. Hand Ed Dodds McKay and TD's role and let him build a dynasty.

JDaveG and Refried Beans like this

44 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

hahahah one year when smitty said... sacks don't matter... 

I was more like we need to run the football we did that heavily with TD and MS and still came up short.

Thats been my thing the last 2 years the coaches just aren’t maxing out the potential of what’s on the roster.Sure we had injuries last year but like this year defensively we are sitting back taking shots instead of trying to deliver them.

For me more so than on the field the off season decision making which directly effects the onfield is what’ll get DQ fired as the results are directly effected off of that.

I don't know what the answer is, whether TD should be fired or not, but I do know that if the Falcons do fire him, some team would snatch him up pretty quick, as he is generally well regarded in NFL circles for his cap management skills. Sometimes that greener grass on the other side is just paint covering up the brown......