Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThemDarnFalconsBoy!

Dire cap situation next season.

53 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

OK, how about just a number. The Falcons will have -$10 million in cap space at the start of the 2020 offseason.  How is that one of the best cap situations?

Yes, because it is *projected* and not actual.  The Falcons don't have any true big money signings or extensions coming while other teams do.  

Another example, the Cowboys look to be in great shape in the graph, but they have both Dak Prescot and Amari Cooper looking for new contracts.  That is potentially $60M/yr that is unaccounted for.

Just now, JeffAtl said:

Yes, because it is *projected* and not actual.  The Falcons don't have any true big money signings or extensions coming while other teams do.  

Another example, the Cowboys look to be in great shape in the graph, but they have both Dak Prescot and Amari Cooper looking for new contracts.  That is potentially $60M/yr that is unaccounted for.

We will probably have to cut Sanu and Mack to sign Hooper again. With no cap to replace either player.

Just now, Herr Beast said:

That is not how the cap works. If we traded both players, all signing bonus would apply immediately, even worsening our cap situation because the signing bonus is bigger than their salaries.

This team can‘t do much. Only players like Freeman, Trufant and Sanu (all at the end of their contracts) could be traded/released... Beasley is off the books anyway next season, question is if we can trade him the next 10 days to have those savings roll over to 2020. But we might even add a 7th rounder for anyone to take him, I am not kidding... it is like what the Texans did with Osweiler.

Barring catastrophic injuries, the team doesn't have to do much though.  The offense is mostly set and the defense can be restocked pretty easily without much (or any) pain.

Just now, JeffAtl said:

Barring catastrophic injuries, the team doesn't have to do much though.  The offense is mostly set and the defense can be restocked pretty easily without much (or any) pain.

Well, these players were supposed to be tailor-made and handpicked to fit Quinn's scheme.  If we bring another HC who brings in a DC with their own scheme, then now we have to adjust all of that. Unless DC thinks he can fix what DQ started.  We can assume we'll lose a lot of players in 2020 that won't be resigned when they become UFAs.  

3 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

You forget that we will have new coaches with possibly very different schemes, so nothing is set, not even - or especially - on offense.

The new coach might demand to draft a QB and build his own offense if we have a Top 2 pick and then we will have to look how to dump Ryan.... which will probably not be possible in 2020.

I am just saying it is very naive to think any new coach would like to just keep a team other guys built. If actually we should not hire a coach that would be ok with that because then we might as well keep DQ,

Everyone gets so worried about Cap. It will be okay just chill out. 

We can save nearly 30 mil in cap space if we cut Trufant, Freeman, Schaub, Sanu, Bailey, Sambrailo, and Carpenter. Can add a few other people to the list too. 

It’s not that big of a deal. 

JDaveG and Sidecar Falcon like this

sorry I'm ignorant when it comes to the cap.  If we trade ryan for picks, you are saying it doesn't make sense because we'd owe huge $?  how much and would it just be for next year or multiple years?  you're basically saying we can't realistically trade either Julio or ryan?

8 minutes ago, ket222 said:

sorry I'm ignorant when it comes to the cap.  If we trade ryan for picks, you are saying it doesn't make sense because we'd owe huge $?  how much and would it just be for next year or multiple years?  you're basically saying we can't realistically trade either Julio or ryan?

If we trade Ryan before the 2020 season, we would lose an additional 10 million cap space. 

that doesn't seem nearly as large a hit as I'd assumed, esp. if we drafted an incredible quarterback who gets a rookie salary  not saying I want to see ryan go

2 minutes ago, ket222 said:

that doesn't seem nearly as large a hit as I'd assumed, esp. if we drafted an incredible quarterback who gets a rookie salary  not saying I want to see ryan go

Well it is not terrible but for a team like us with not room to spare it might be impossible. The cost of cutting him are significantly higher (30 million) because his 2020 salary is guaranteed. But if we trade him, his new team pays that salary (20.5m).

I don‘t want to see Ryan go but if our new HC wants to draft a QB with our very high draft pick, then we will have to deal with Ryan‘s contract. 

Yep, I've consistently shook my head in disbelief at the idiots here that have consistently typed "pay the man".  I think many of these idiots attempt to live vicariously through the players.  Well this "pay the man" idiocy leads to this .. a 1-6 team in salary cap ****.  Non performing players that don't give a flying frig because they got paid.

Tmodel66 and FalconAge like this

39 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

You forget that we will have new coaches with possibly very different schemes, so nothing is set, not even - or especially - on offense.

The new coach might demand to draft a QB and build his own offense if we have a Top 2 pick and then we will have to look how to dump Ryan.... which will probably not be possible in 2020.

I am just saying it is very naive to think any new coach would like to just keep a team other guys built. If actually we should not hire a coach that would be ok with that because then we might as well keep DQ,

It is doubtful that a coach will be hired that will require a new offensive scheme.  If that is the case, the Falcons should have a fire sale now.  Far more likey is that the Falcons go with a standard Payton, Shannahan, McCarthy, McVay type coach rather than a Lincoln Riley. 

Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hooper (if extended). most of the OL, etc will work with most offensive schemes.

The new DC will likely want to build his own scheme, but the good news is that the Falcons defense doesn't have any truly bad contracts.  The defense could be restocked in one offseason and augmented over the next couple.

jmb27 likes this

18 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

It is doubtful that a coach will be hired that will require a new offensive scheme.  If that is the case, the Falcons should have a fire sale now.  Far more likey is that the Falcons go with a standard Payton, Shannahan, McCarthy, McVay type coach rather than a Lincoln Riley. 

Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Hooper (if extended). most of the OL, etc will work with most offensive schemes.

The new DC will likely want to build his own scheme, but the good news is that the Falcons defense doesn't have any truly bad contracts.  The defense could be restocked in one offseason and augmented over the next couple.

Unless we hire Kubiak, I don‘t see us continuing the ill fated „Let‘s pretend that Kyle Shanahan is still the OC“ approach. Any other (offense minded) HC will not continue this idea. It didn‘t really work the last three years and it is part of the problem.

18 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Unless we hire Kubiak, I don‘t see us continuing the ill fated „Let‘s pretend that Kyle Shanahan is still the OC“ approach. Any other (offense minded) HC will not continue this idea. It didn‘t really work the last three years and it is part of the problem.

Every offensive scheme that does not require a dual-threat QB is suitable for Ryan, Julio & Ridley.  

If Blank does go the running QB route again, we should just have a fire sale and the Falcons file for liquidation.

Edited by JeffAtl

Build the defense please and fix the OL and we will wind a super bowl with Ryan. Build the Defense whatever it takes.

JeffAtl likes this

2 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Every offensive scheme that does not require a mobile QB is suitable for Ryan, Julio & Ridley.  

If Blank does go the mobile QB route again, we should just have a fire sale the Falcons file for liquidation.

Because mobile guys like Watson and Mahomes are terrible? Nobody is asking for Vick v2 but I would be open for a more athletic QB who can compensate for our OL. And our OL is absolutely not set, there are multiple question marks including the rather sad decline of Alex Mack this season.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

Just now, Herr Beast said:

Because mobile guys like Watson and Mahomes are terrible? Nobody is asking for Vick v2 but I would be open for a more athletic QB who can compensate for our OL. And our OL is absolutely not set, there are multiple question marks including the rather sad decline of Alex Mack this season.

You know who the next Mahomes is?  Meanwhile, we have a top-tier QB that is stylistically similar to pretty much every SB winning QB over the last 20 years.  

Regardless, neither Watson or Mahomes have won anything yet.

Just now, JeffAtl said:

You know who the next Mahomes is?  Meanwhile, we have a top-tier QB that is stylistically similar to pretty much every SB winning QB over the last 20 years.  

Regardless, neither Watson or Mahomes have won anything yet.

No I don‘t but Ryan has not won anything either.

Look I am totally fine if Ryan plays out his contract here. Just consider the possibility that our new HC might think differently and you don‘t have a Top3 pick that often.

14 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Mahomes and Watson are also young, lets see how mobile they are when they reach Ryans age. (if they play that long) 

TheJudge and me4falcons like this

55 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Mahomes and Watson are also young, lets see how mobile they are when they reach Ryans age. (if they play that long) 

A 40 year old Mahomes would be 10 times as mobile as a 22 year old Ryan. Their athleticism isn’t going to decline to a point where they’d be anywhere as slow as Ryan at any point.

21 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

A 40 year old Mahomes would be 10 times as mobile as a 22 year old Ryan. Their athleticism isn’t going to decline to a point where they’d be anywhere as slow as Ryan at any point.

Quarterbacks that take repeated hits in the NFL don't last.  History has proven that.  Being mobile doesn't do any good when you are on the sidelines, and "athleticism" doesn't have a frigging thing to do with it.  Why don't you just come out and say what you REALLY want?!?

2 minutes ago, TheJudge said:

Quarterbacks that take repeated hits in the NFL don't last.  History has proven that.  Being mobile doesn't do any good when you are on the sidelines, and "athleticism" doesn't have a frigging thing to do with it.  Why don't you just come out and say what you REALLY want?!?

All QBs take repeated hits. Athleticism helps with every position.

Whats your point?