KCFalcon22

Mcgary

122 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Drafting high, the Falcons need to get a DE or DT.  There are enough guys available that picking one of them would be a "long term roster building solution".  Sorry to break the news to you, but drafting another OL high in the draft is not the right move this year.  

Playing devil’s advocate. We have former MVP at QB and his unit would be the easiest to resurrect. Thomas and a stud running back along with a real offensive coach could turn around our ability to score with a quickness. We could get Young and Brown but this defense would still have a ways to go. 

vitaman likes this

Mr Falcon gotta give McGary time he's  a rookie and Mack is long in the tooth and doesn't have it anymore but there is no excuse for Matthews not being better than what he is especially considering where we drafted him. Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs could come in to Flowery branch today and push Matthews around. Thomas and Wirfs are the real deal. Matthews is like McKay only in the NFL because of family name.

Edited by Refried Beans

15 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Falcons front office aren't football people, they are a silver spoon feed ambulance chasing lawyer, a mountain bike riding preppy, a strength and conditioning coach, a RB coach and a has been from the 1970s and we wonder why we fail drafting linemen? Here's a cheat sheet to help them out. Mack is OLD, Matthews is SOFT, and McGary is Green.  Cut Mack, trade Matthews once his number don't hurt the cap. Get Ben Garland back  in  free agency for center. Draft Andrew Thomas from UGA or Tristan Wirfs from Iowa and get a whole new front office with some scouts that have some manhood. Like Tmodel66 says it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that we picked up three free agents for o-line and then drafted two more and our o-line STILL sucks. And we think changing the COACH will make us win, get real. Come on man. Falcons roster is TURIBLE.  Coach and front office are trash. Whole thing is an embarrassment to the city. Blank should be ashamed, it is a poor reflection on him and his business acumen to have a franchise this poorly assembled.

You lost me on being back garland. Actually, you lost me with this giant paragraph.

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

Mr Falcon gotta give McGary time he's  a rookie and Mack is long in the tooth and doesn't have it anymore but there is no excuse for Matthews not being better than what he is especially considering where we drafted him. Andrew Thomas or Tristan Wirfs could come in to Flowery branch today and push Matthews around. Thomas and Wirfs are the real deal. Matthews is like McKay only in the NFL because of family name.

I think the guard position this offseason is such a priority and I’m not really sold on Mcgary yet. So I feel Mathews is the least of our worries on the o line. If we took Thomas out of UGA I’m wondering if Mathews could play right tackle or would we start Thomas out there? If Mcgary couldn’t play guard it would be 2 wasted draft picks we used to get Mcgary last year. He would definitely have to put some weight on to play guard I would think. But I guess worst to worst you have a swing tackle for cheap for at least 3 years, 4 if they gave him the 5th year option. Or you could always trade Mcgary or Mathews & maybe get a 2nd possibly. Not sure about Mathews contract, if he’s worth trading with dead money, etc.

1 hour ago, Mr.Falcon79 said:

I think the guard position this offseason is such a priority and I’m not really sold on Mcgary yet. So I feel Mathews is the least of our worries on the o line. If we took Thomas out of UGA I’m wondering if Mathews could play right tackle or would we start Thomas out there? If Mcgary couldn’t play guard it would be 2 wasted draft picks we used to get Mcgary last year. He would definitely have to put some weight on to play guard I would think. But I guess worst to worst you have a swing tackle for cheap for at least 3 years, 4 if they gave him the 5th year option. Or you could always trade Mcgary or Mathews & maybe get a 2nd possibly. Not sure about Mathews contract, if he’s worth trading with dead money, etc.

I'm opposite in McGary. I think moving Jake to RT is madness. Believe it or not and @Knight of God called this when he was drafted, many scouts saw Jake as an all pro G or even OC. WE

e do that then LT IS A PRIORITY. McGary could play G, but he's q really promising RT in run game and is more athletic than most who never watched him in college realize.

I think he'll be A good one. That said, I agree, with went all in on building a young OL, its time to finish the job. At least a G this year early that fits the system. Possibly an OC to groom.

I'm not sold on Carpenter or Brown beyond good depth. Which is important. But I'm good going early on G. And we need to fix the running game. Unless Ollie and Hill suddenly turn out to be greatness. Go get a Najee Harris or someone of that ilk with a G and let's smash mouth a bit.

Mr.Falcon79 and vitaman like this

I too think he will make a better OG in the NFL. He and Lindstrom could give us hope at a position we have problems for years.

TATF: "TD is such a ******* idiot because he refuses to invest in and fix the OL."

*TD signs two starting caliber veteran NFL offensive linemen and drafts two more in the first round."

TATF: "TD is suck a ******* idiot for trading up to draft offensive linemen in the draft. We should have traded down and drafted other players."

Welcome to life dealing with jackasses that think they know more than everyone else in the building with information that we don't have.

20 hours ago, Akod2017 said:

Playing devil’s advocate. We have former MVP at QB and his unit would be the easiest to resurrect. Thomas and a stud running back along with a real offensive coach could turn around our ability to score with a quickness. We could get Young and Brown but this defense would still have a ways to go. 

Ah, you're taking the Saints approach from 2013-2015. Cool. That style of ball doesn't win championships.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:24 PM, ChickenBiscuit said:

Ah, you're taking the Saints approach from 2013-2015. Cool. That style of ball doesn't win championships.

Neither has our attempt to build the legion of boom.

Cooks, Armstrong, and Peat came out of those classes while a slew of picks were used on the defense. Including Vaccaro in the first. Cooks was not only productive but also later was traded for the Ramczyk draft pick. I would say that investment in the line is paying off.

vitaman likes this

On 9/11/2019 at 3:16 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

TATF: "TD is such a ******* idiot because he refuses to invest in and fix the OL."

*TD signs two starting caliber veteran NFL offensive linemen and drafts two more in the first round."

TATF: "TD is suck a ******* idiot for trading up to draft offensive linemen in the draft. We should have traded down and drafted other players."

Welcome to life dealing with jackasses that think they know more than everyone else in the building with information that we don't have.

Our talent looked just fine yesterday. Amazing how having a defense that doesn't allow 20 points by halftime allows you to do certain things on offense (like run the ball) that help out your line. No matter how much good talent you have on the line if you are pass protecting 40 times a game, both your run blocking and pass blocking will be hindered. A line has to be on the attack for them to get some confidence and adrenaline going. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

21 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Talk about a 180 in the board's perception of him. Dude is gonna be more than fine.

Imagine reaching the NFL and having to face Watt while your Defense gave up almost 50 (pick 6 by Matt under 2 minutes)...

Then being hated on for struggling as you try to adjust to other starting NFL caliber rushers. AFTER missing the entire preseason save for like 40 snaps in the week before the season starts?

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Imagine reaching the NFL and having to face Watt while your Defense gave up almost 50 (pick 6 by Matt under 2 minutes)...

Then being hated on for struggling as you try to adjust to other starting NFL caliber rushers. AFTER missing the entire preseason save for like 40 snaps in the week before the season starts?

This is no place for perspective.  

We must overreact to everything, it's the only way!!!!

5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Imagine reaching the NFL and having to face Watt while your Defense gave up almost 50 (pick 6 by Matt under 2 minutes)…

True. He's not going to play guard.  Im sure staff is ecstatic with his progress. If games pile up for him like yesterday look out..

Schwarzwald likes this

If we draft Thomas, Jake could move to LG and resurrect his already solid career. It would help Mack, if we decided to keep him

Refried Beans likes this

40 minutes ago, lju713 said:

If we draft Thomas, Jake could move to LG and resurrect his already solid career. It would help Mack, if we decided to keep him

How much more can we possibly invest in the offense while ignoring the defense? 

lju713 likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm saying that if Young is not on the board. Wouldn't shock me if we did the Falcon thing and won some meaningless game to finish 7-9 and end up picking at 14-16

3 hours ago, lju713 said:

I'm saying that if Young is not on the board. Wouldn't shock me if we did the Falcon thing and won some meaningless game to finish 7-9 and end up picking at 14-16

Even still, we need to address the defense. Delpit would be a gigantic upgrade in the secondary. 

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

39 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Even still, we need to address the defense. Delpit would be a gigantic upgrade in the secondary. 

We have addressed defense plenty.

Since Quinn has gotten here we have used the first round pick on defense 3 times.

We have used our 2nd round/second pick on defense 4 times.

Go all of the way back to 2013 and we have used the first or second round / second pick on defense 6 times.

Refried Beans likes this

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Top 2 picks since 2011

Julio, Dent

konz, Holmes

trufant, Alford 

matthews, hageman

beasley, collins

Neal, Jones

McKinley, Riley

Ridley, Oliver

Lindstrom, McGary

Certainly seems like we have invested in defense. We went defense 3 years in a row, split a year, and then have one year of only offense and we are somehow investing too much in the offense?

16 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I said before the Houston game that even if McGary gets worked by Watt, it proves literally nothing. Putting the expectation of handling an all-pro in one of your first 6 starts as a rookie is absolutely insane. I was dumbfounded at the amount of people trying to put that **** as some sort of stain as McGary it was as if they never saw Matthews get worked the exact same way. 

Watt is really a good player that competes at a high level against really other good players. We can't evaluate EITHER of our offensive line picks at least until mid-way through their sophomore season. And that still might not be enough time as these young offensive linemen take time to develop and Lindstrom has only played one game.

Me and Vandy talk about this all the time, the next coach here is going to really really benefit from those two offensive line picks TD made. It did nothing to help this year but it only made sense long term considering the type of QB Matt is and how badly we've neglected that area in the past. If you've completely failed to address OL, why not double dip? 

Schwarzwald and Vandy like this

@ChickenBiscuit Especially given our defense wasn’t 1 player away and seems to be more of a coaching letdown...

Also, had neither rookie got setbacks I think we would be getting the benefits already; even if rookie hiccups.

Think about it. Lindstrom was looking way more polished than McGary. OG been the worst!

I didn’t hate the players taken but I absolutely hated the overdrafting of them. Just try moving back once in your career TD. Also get that Canadian chip off your shoulder and draft SEC players in the late rounds, not just LSU.

6 hours ago, Akod2017 said:

I didn’t hate the players taken but I absolutely hated the overdrafting of them. Just try moving back once in your career TD. Also get that Canadian chip off your shoulder and draft SEC players in the late rounds, not just LSU.

They were only "overdrafted" in your world.

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They were only "overdrafted" in your world.

My world? My world doesn’t revolve around blowing your load on players. Having a backup plan like Jenkins or McCoy. Trusting your scouting enough to trade back and get more guys on your board. At very least not trading up ALL THE ******* TIME at the expense of needed depth. Once in a while sure but McGary, Neal, McKinley, Jones, Trufant and that’s just the first rounders. I really thought he turned a corner in Dallas letting Ridley and Oliver fall to him, taking the best player available. Then he goes full blown simple jack again this past year. It’s like an addiction for the guy.