Consolidated Arthur Blank Thread

We have all said the same things on here. 

Owner voicing that players will be Falcons for life. Yep and has cost this team in cap space for sure.

Coach trying to be a friend instead of pushing the players to improve. Bet he has been telling them your doing a great job. Instead of you can be better always push yourself.

Coach not holding players accountable. Vic should have been told we will keep you if you get your tail in here and show you want it. If not your gone. Trufant and Freeman should have been on the bench watching replacements take over for them. 

Coach has fired to many coaches and hired to may question marks.

Quinn has tried to build a loving buddy team. Not a tough hard nosed aggressive and hungry team. 

Edited by high impact
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He shouldn't bring in a coach, period. The coach needs to be hired by the new GM. 

There’s no urgency at this point. Season’s a wash.

After today’s blowout, I wouldn’t be against it happening today. The bye week was my original prediction and I’m not even for firing mid season but this is pathetic 

Posted Images

As many have stated there is much more to it than just Quinn but it starts with him.

To keep it short I'll just talk about one aspect: defense.

When there are many moving parts you have to expect some problems.

There are 3 pure DTs on the roster. 2 are very good and the other stays on the inactive list. Then there are 2 guys drafted to be pass rushers. The rest, Bailey, Clayborn, Crawford, Cominsky are DE/DT. No problems so far. 

Normally on the first two downs the DE/DT would play to set the edge and stop the run. Quinn decided that in his critical year he would play the lighter guys, Beasley and Takk on the edge, 3 DTs in the middle. It's a different scheme but Takk and Beasley now rush less and drop into coverage more. The guys who are best on the edges in run situations are on the sideline watching.

There's more stress on the pure LBers.

Kazee was a ball hawk when he played FS. Now he's moved to cover the slot. A new position for him. He hasn't sniffed the ball so far this season. Looks like he played a little FS against the Seahawks and Rico moved to SS. That makes more sense.

Oliver, he's young. I expected a learning curve. But with Quinn making so many changes, his mistakes were amplified in this new system.

I can go on but the bottom line is Quinn rolled the dice for reasons unknown and he hit snake eyes.

This article bring up ONE BIG BIG POINT. Blank to consult with Rich McKay, Emry and Webster on what to do, well didnt Blank do this when they hired TD and Quinn? Maybe he shouldnt be consulting with 3 former FIRED GMs. Maybe Blank should take out the trash and hire a REAL NFL exec in Ed Dodds from Indy and then let Ed Dodds takeout the trash!

Ed Dodds Falcons Team President and GM 2020 Making Atlanta Great Again

Edited by Refried Beans

Great write up and thanks for posting.

All of the Falcons issues can be summed up in this one short paragraph; Atlanta was a hungrier team in 2016. One possible reason this team plays with no edge is nobody seems the least bit insecure about their job. Accountability is non-existent.

In other words the polar opposite of a Belichek run team..Blank and the entire organization is culpable.

Jones is not a MLB. I posted this in 2015.

He is not a sideline to sideline run-stuffer, gap-filler, tracker, or middle tackler

He is a WOLB, and a very good one. Good in coverage, baiting QBs in zones.

Add Beasley and Campbell, and they are chewed on the cut-back run game.

A young vet at MLB would be good.

Give Jones half the field, and take-away the responsibility of calling alignments.

13 hours ago, falconsfansrus said:

Atlanta was a hungrier team in 2016. One possible reason this team plays with no edge is nobody seems the least bit insecure about their job. Accountability is non-existent.

I don't think you can sum up all of our problems with any one thing.  But this is something that I don't really see people talking about.  I think some of our key guys really were hungrier in 2016 than in 2019.  I think some of our stars really needed to prove something and they did.  The fire may not be quite as hot this year in all of them.

Things change -- tons of variables in everyone's lives.  It's not as simple as just keeping the same players or even coaches.  In all of life, you have to keep changing to keep improving or you're going to start losing.

11 hours ago, uup115 said:

Beasley was kept because he was the best option they could sign to a 1 year deal. We could have gotten Clay Matthews for 2 years and less total money but the issue is we have no cash for year 2 in 2020 because this owner was obsessed with overpaying Jones. We have been running our front office as a service to the sales and marketing departments wishes. PSLs and ticket sales take a major priority over doing smart football transactions and winning.

Which is absurd, because (as we are seeing right now), winning is prerequisite to sales and marketing.

I agree with you.  It's bass-ackwards.

13 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

Spot on article. Thanks for posting!

More of the same of just stating the obvious. What he forgot to say is that every team has those bad contracts, where the player takes the rest of his/her career off after being made ridiculously wealthy. He also forgot to mention that this team does have legitimate leadership from a core group of players. Tell me Ryan, Jones X 2, and Jarrett are not true leaders? Any GM/Coach would like to have anyone from that group leading their team!

The problem is coaching, situational awareness, coaching, and being able to change a game plan on the fly. This team does not have that. Also, there is a real issue with player development, again that is coaching. 

Schultz did nail one thing that I have not heard anywhere else though, and that is we need a GM that has the **LLS to say 'no' to the Coach. Like he said, the buck needs to stop somewhere, and it should stop at the GM level. 

Bottom line, that is not that much wrong with this team, except for coaching. The right person could turn this team around in a heartbeat. Falcons should have easily won that game yesterday, players were playing all out, but coaching never gave them the chance. I hope you understand this Arthur!

1 hour ago, Cheap Talk said:

Don't worry about Julio, he is something different and they will be trying to extend him 4-years from now.

And that's even more embarrassing. 20+ million can buy a ton of defense, and the draft picks he'd have brought would've allowed us to replace him with a younger, cheaper option who is perfectly capable of being a reliable receiver. 31 other teams don't have him, and most of them are doing just fine. Now we are stuck with him and his part time play. 

18 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

And that's even more embarrassing. 20+ million can buy a ton of defense, and the draft picks he'd have brought would've allowed us to replace him with a younger, cheaper option who is perfectly capable of being a reliable receiver. 31 other teams don't have him, and most of them are doing just fine. Now we are stuck with him and his part time play. 

I am glad we are stuck with him.

2 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Don't worry about Julio, he is something different and they will be trying to extend him 4-years from now.

Falcon for life. It’s the key to our success. 

Other than Brady, the term Patriot For Life is something you’ll never hear. Falcons reward players based on past performance. Patriots pay (and sign) players based on forecasted performance in the future. 

Edited by Skott Lee
14 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Yes that too but Grady and Julio share Beasley's agency/agent. 

Schultz has some connections with the Falcons front office so if he says they were concerned by not picking up his option it would muddy the waters with Grady and Julio's negotiations, then I'm inclined to believe it. 

I'm inclined to accept it could be true, but that is a piss-poor way of managing a roster and if you're going to do it for thay reason then you should have taken steps to also have an actual football player to put on the field while Beasley sat on the bench as a Grady/Jones contract by-product.

Saddest thing though is while that all might be true, I am also inclined to believe that Quinn really did think he could resurrect Beasley. I have seen nothing from Dan Quinn that makes me think "oh no that can't be it".

26 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Falcon for life. It’s the key to our success. 

Other than Brady, the term Patriot For Life is something you’ll never hear. Falcons reward players based on past performance. Patriots pay (and sign) players based on forecasted performance in the future. 

That's very well stated. It's what happens when a business makes decisions based on emotion rather than rational thought. 

21 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

I'm inclined to accept it could be true, but that is a piss-poor way of managing a roster and if you're going to do it for thay reason then you should have taken steps to also have an actual football player to put on the field while Beasley sat on the bench as a Grady/Jones contract by-product.

Saddest thing though is while that all might be true, I am also inclined to believe that Quinn really did think he could resurrect Beasley. I have seen nothing from Dan Quinn that makes me think "oh no that can't be it".

Isn't piss-poor management our mission statement? :lol:

5 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

Great write up and thanks for posting.

All of the Falcons issues can be summed up in this one short paragraph; Atlanta was a hungrier team in 2016. One possible reason this team plays with no edge is nobody seems the least bit insecure about their job. Accountability is non-existent.

In other words the polar opposite of a Belichek run team..Blank and the entire organization is culpable.

He's got to realize ~ or somebody has to tell him ~ to butt the f*** out of the day-to-day affairs of the team. He can't be making proclamations like, "Yeah, he's going to be a Falcon for life," while his GM is negotiating with that player's agent. DUH.

There are many instances that could be referenced but the point doesn't need belaboring. Blank needs to hire a head football guy he trusts, then let him run the football operations without having to field requests and suggestions from a guy whose expertise is selling hammers and paint.