Consolidated Arthur Blank Thread

9 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Is it surprising that there is no accountability on defense than on the offense. The HC is leader of that unit and full of players who are underachieving.

My theory has always been Quinn lost this team when he didn’t take accountability for being the HC who froze up not overruling his OC in SB 51. 

He certainly lost me then and there.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

Jeff Schultz nailed it perfectly. Awesome article.

Players and coaches are complacent, have bought into their own hype, and accountability's seems to be zilch. Guys like Campbell, Trufant, Freeman and Beasley are still trotted out there when they're severely underperforming.

That thing about Beasley's option being picked up was clearly a business move to please Jones and Jarrett's agent. I dont get how those should even correlate considering Beasley hasn't done anything since '16 but whatever. I more so look at it like how are other players going to feel when a 13 million dollar option gets picked up on an underachieving player? Not good. 

Brotherhood is not a bad thing but if there's a bunch of yes men in there, you got a problem. Once again...comfort and no accountability.

And that thing about Cox being let go because he was too tough? Give me a break man. 

Yes, this goes beyond JUST Quinn but Quinn gets a lot of blame for the complacency and comfort around Flowery Branch. Quinn should be blamed for hiring Koetter. At the end of the day, he has full control of the 53 man roster. Man up Quinn and take control of it but I fear it's too late.

Oh and Mr Blank, please stop coddling players. This is on you too for some of this ridiculous contracts. This is a business and we do have a salary cap in the NFL. No more guaranteed "Falcons for life". Everybody earns a spot on the team and everybody earns their contract. Do it the Patriots way. 

It definitely has nothing to do with pleasing Beasley's agent. They are professionals and conduct business as such. We kept Beasley because he's a first-rounder who led the league in sacks once in his short career

8 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

It definitely has nothing to do with pleasing Beasley's agent. They are professionals and conduct business as such. We kept Beasley because he's a first-rounder who led the league in sacks once in his short career

Yes that too but Grady and Julio share Beasley's agency/agent. 

Schultz has some connections with the Falcons front office so if he says they were concerned by not picking up his option it would muddy the waters with Grady and Julio's negotiations, then I'm inclined to believe it. 

3 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Yes that too but Grady and Julio share Beasley's agency/agent. 

Schultz has some connections with the Falcons front office so if he says they were concerned by not picking up his option it would muddy the waters with Grady and Julio's negotiations, then I'm inclined to believe it. 

Beasley was kept because he was the best option they could sign to a 1 year deal. We could have gotten Clay Matthews for 2 years and less total money but the issue is we have no cash for year 2 in 2020 because this owner was obsessed with overpaying Jones. We have been running our front office as a service to the sales and marketing departments wishes. PSLs and ticket sales take a major priority over doing smart football transactions and winning.

33 minutes ago, Vandy said:

My theory has always been Quinn lost this team when he didn’t take accountability for being the HC who froze up not overruling his OC in SB 51. 

He certainly lose me then and there.

I sort of think had Quinn gone to the players after that loss and taken full blame for that loss, this would be a different team.  It wouldn't be a team struggling mentally about 28-3.  No one would remember or care about any of those issues with 3 runs up the middle and a field goal.

8 minutes ago, uup115 said:

Beasley was kept because he was the best option they could sign to a 1 year deal. We could have gotten Clay Matthews for 2 years and less total money but the issue is we have no cash for year 2 in 2020 because this owner was obsessed with overpaying Jones. We have been running our front office as a service to the sales and marketing departments wishes. PSLs and ticket sales take a major priority over doing smart football transactions and winning.

That is an excuse, it had nothing to do with money to Jones. Dq had a brain fart and wasted 13 M cap this year, it could have been easily split for Mathews, Justin Houston or whoever. The lack of Moves last year or even in 2017 was baffling. 

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He certainly lose me then and there.

Non doubt about it. Remember Ryan saying “run the $&@? ball”? Well Dan, you lost the team there. Should have listened to his QB. 

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That is an excuse, it had nothing to do with money to Jones. Dq had a brain fart and wasted 13 M cap this year, it could have been easily split for Mathews, Justin Houston or whoever. The lack of Moves last year or even in 2017 was baffling. 

It has everything to do with money for Jones...signing/paying Hooper, a player that has consistently developed into a pro bowler is looking like a major struggle...so much so rumors are he will be traded. 

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

I believe he did the same with Sark and MM. I wasn't a big fan of either coordinator but they were scapegoated IMO.

This is why DQ can’t coach this team anymore.

I just think there’s been far too many off season decisions that are head scratchers.Then there’s his in game decision making which is questionable at best.

If Blank decides Quinn stays man I think we are in for a long long time before we see anymore prolonged sought of success.

19 minutes ago, uup115 said:

It has everything to do with money for Jones...signing/paying Hooper, a player that has consistently developed into a pro bowler is looking like a major struggle...so much so rumors are he will be traded. 

That’s BS. It is an extension to Julio’s existing deal. They could have easily signed Clay Mathews 2 years 9 M compared to 1 year 13 M for Vic.  You  can make an argument for not signing Justin Houston coz of Grady Jarret and Debo but Julio? Lol
Are you related to DQ or Vic? 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

That’s BS. It is an extension to Julio’s existing deal. They could have easily signed. There was no Julio deal in 2017 or 2018 and yet this team slept off. You can make an argument for Grady Jarret and Debo but Julio is crazy. Lol. 
Are you related to DQ or Vic? 

DQ is terrible, Vic is worse. We overpaid Freeman and that guy was trending down during those years...too much focus on offensive parts that don’t matter and never any focus on the lines of scrimmage. Takk is a miss as well...you keep wifing in the 1st round and overpaying WRs and this is what you get.

7 minutes ago, uup115 said:

I don’t think you understand how the salary cap or this contract works.

I do. You don’t. Mathews is 9 M in 2 years, Vic is 13 M this year. If the Falcons had signed Mathews, they could have saved 10 M this year  alone. The cap rolled over would have covered  Julio’s extension and some left over for others. It has nothing to do with Julio, it’s just terrible decision by DQ to extend Vic. Heck they could have had Mathews and Justin Houston with out worrying about Julio if DQ traded Vic or let him walk,

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I do. You don’t. Mathews is 9 M in 2 years, Vic is 13 M this year. If the Falcons had signed Mathews, they could have saved 10 M this year  alone. The cap rolled over would have covered  Julio’s extension and some left over for others. It has nothing to do with Julio, it’s just terrible decision by DQ to extend Vic. Heck they could have had Mathews and Justin Houston with out worrying about Julio if DQ traded Vic or let him walk,

Unfortunately that’s not how the cap works...we have no money for next season outside of existing contracts, because the bulk of Jones comes due next season...a contract the idiot owner promised.

Can't really be upset by this. I've been pretty harsh in my opinion that DQ is not a good coach, but the problems run deeper and I feel like this team has been more focused on being friends with the players than leading them. When Shanahan was here I'd hear that he was a bit of an ***, but look what he accomplished. Obviously he is gone, but we need to get someone in here who can motivate the players to succeed. I'm not sure what it will take to right the ship, but it seems like that Super Bowl window we were chasing for a few years has completely shut.

11 minutes ago, uup115 said:

Unfortunately that’s not how the cap works...we have no money for next season outside of existing contracts, because the bulk of Jones comes due next season...a contract the idiot owner promised.

Ok I am done with some one who doesn’t understand or just trolling. 

Julio cap with out extension in 2019 : 13.5 M

Julio cap with extension in 2019: 10 M. 3.5 M savings with extension. 
Julio cap in 2020 with out extension: 14.0M

Julio cap with extension:20 M. With roll over of extra 3.5 M, it’s just 2.5 M extra in 2020 with new deal. 

Vic Beasley Cap :13M

Mathews in 2019: 3.5 M (savings of 10 M) can be cut next year with 2M dead money or 5.5 M cap hit in 2020 if he plays. 

Justin Houston Cap hit in 2019: 14 M, and in 2020, 9.5 M. Or cut him with 4.5 M dead money.

If anything Julio deal gave extra cap space to sign players in 2019. They could have cut Mathews Next year and kept Justin Houston with no impact on Julio.

Unless you are Vic or DQ hanging out on the boards, that was terrible decision.  That decision to sign Vic cost this team couple of FA who are playing much better than crap we have at DE.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Ok I am done with some one who doesn’t understand or just trolling. 

Julio cap with out extension in 2019 : 13.5 M

Julio cap with extension in 2019: 10 M. 3.5 M savings with extension. 
Julio cap in 2020 with out extension: 14.0M

Julio cap with extension:20 M. With roll over of extra 3.5 M, it’s just 2.5 M extra in 2020 with new deal. 

Vic Beasley Cap :13M

Mathews in 2019: 3.5 M (savings of 10 M) can be cut next year with 2M dead money or 5.5 M cap hit in 2020 if he plays. 

Justin Houston Cap hit in 2019: 14 M, and in 2020, 9.5 M. Or cut him with 4.5 M dead money.

If anything Julio deal gave extra cap space to sign players in 2019. They could have cut Mathews Next year and kept Justin Houston with no impact on Julio.

Unless you are Vic or DQ hanging out on the boards, that was terrible decision.  That decision to sign Vic cost this team couple of FA who are playing much better than crap we have at DE.

You brush over the fact we are paying a WR 20M like it’s nothing? That contract leaves us with nothing for 2/3 of the rest of the team. He is a WR not one that has ever existed is worth that cap charge.

7 hours ago, The Don™ said:

I believe he did the same with Sark and MM. I wasn't a big fan of either coordinator but they were scapegoated IMO.

Ive said numerous times including before he let Sark go that he was gonna be scapegoated.  It was hard to tell what was going on with Manuel because it was a big deal about WHO was running that defense...

Edited by Spts1