Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Consolidated Arthur Blank Thread

594 posts in this topic

Heard the interview and don’t remember him saying that...did I miss it or is DLed making **** up again?

i only remember him mentioning how many bright mins we have w all our HC and GMs in the building...4 GMs. 

too many cooks in the kitchen, which only aides this team’s identity crisis.

GreggT likes this

On 10/20/2019 at 8:40 AM, falcons007 said:

HE said DQ is making big changes in Defense and thinks Falcons will win against Rams and going forward.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066999/article/falcons-owner-weighs-in-on-coach-dan-quinns-future

Falcons owner weighs in on coach Dan Quinn's future

0ap1000000022400.jpg
NFL Network Insider
  facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  whatsapp_icon.svg  
Print

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank hears and feels the disappointment with how the season has gone, noting that as bad as the fans feel -- he feels just as terrible.

When you start off the season with playoff aspirations, and now sit at 1-5 -- with the Los Angeles Rams set to visit -- it hurts even worse.

"We understand the frustration of our fans, we're more than sympathetic," Blank told NFL Network during a break from the Fall League Meeting in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "We're walking in their shoes. I'm with them. Because the expectations were different from where we are right now. When you differ that dramatically from expectations, it's always that much more disappointing."

The losses, of course, turn the focus to the job status of head coach Dan Quinn. Quinn, on the hot seat, with the owner examining his performance and the bye coming, everything is ramped up. While it's clear nothing has been decided, improvement at some point soon seems to be necessary.

Blank was asked if the bye in two weeks was a fair time to evaluate.

"I don't think that's fair," Blank said. "I don't have any specific timetable. Just looking at each game one at a time. It's the bye week, yes, but it's not a trigger for making any changes. We'll just continue to look at what we see developing and continue to support the coach and support the general manager and continue to ask them to do everything they can to put some wins up on the scoreboard."

Blank said the evaluation isn't a "one- or two-game yardstick." He said the team is committed to winning the next game and then evaluating after that.

Simply, he pointed to this Rams matchup and believes things will come out differently.

"I think we'll see some changes," Blank said. "I think you'll see them on the field on Sunday. Obviously for competitive advantage reasons, we won't talk about them, but... we have a lot of football left to play."

Perhaps those will be evident Sunday. In Blank's mind, the offense is playing better and on the right track. The defense, obviously, is struggling. And the fact that defense is Quinn's specialty and that he serves as coordinator, is not encouraging.

"Our defense has not played well, and nobody knows that better than our coach," Blank said. "That's what he's done for his entire life, a position coach, a coordinator and then a head coach. So, if there were easy answers we would've put them in place already. But we're making adjustments, he's making adjustments and hopefully they'll put us in a better position going forward."

Whatever happens in 2 weeks will definitely see an all out effort by the coaching and players against the Rams. I like our position right now DQ has been put on notice win or get fired

Man this one of those organizations that needs to move.  They’re losers, the front office is clueless, the MB Dome has a critical design flaw that draws fans out of the seats, this organization just sucks

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

You mean the World’s game... This shows that you have a hatred towards the game of Football which is played around the world. American Football should have been called handball. To compare the World’s game to American Football is a shame. American Football doesn’t even register with the rest of the world. The real Football is Soccer. The rest of the world call Soccer as Football or Futbol. 

It's amusing how United fans always tout the glory of soccer when someone attacks them.  I've lived overseas and have been to a World Cup, so I don't hate real soccer.  MLS, on the other hand, is a joke.  Sorry that the truth hurts, but no matter how bad the Falcons are, this is a football forum, and your tin foil trophies don't mean sh*t here.

33 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It's amusing how United fans always tout the glory of soccer when someone attacks them.  I've lived overseas and have been to a World Cup, so I don't hate real soccer.  MLS, on the other hand, is a joke.  Sorry that the truth hurts, but no matter how bad the Falcons are, this is a football forum, and your tin foil trophies don't mean sh*t here.

MLS is top 10 in attendance, and Atlanta United attendance is one of the highest in the world for the game of Soccer. MLS has grown a lot since it’s inception in 1996. If you are calling yourself a Soccer fan, then you should know the progress of MLS in this country. The other night, the match between LA Galaxy vs LAFC became the highest rated MLS playoff game to date even with almost 11:00 pm EST start. The value of these franchises are going up and most now play in Soccer specific stadiums. The product on the field is much better with more talented players. MLS will eventually be a top 10 league in Soccer—it is in Top 15 heading towards top 10. I would rank it around #12 or so. MLS is only 23 years old and it is in it’s 2nd phase of growth or MLS 2.0. 

Edited by stingbee

1 hour ago, Skott Lee said:

Whereas Belichick is pretty much a one man show. 

Ha ha yep! Democracy might work in government, but football teams are best left to the dictators. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

These are the most absurd posts I’ve seen around here recently. They rank right down there with the Matt Ryan is holding us back crowd...

You don’t like soccer, fine. You don’t like US soccer, fine. Don’t be that guy whose name starts with an A and ends up in a hole. 

AndrewsFrancisBart likes this

Schultz: Arthur Blank should realize Falcons’ problems go deeper than Dan Quinn

GettyImages-1177224259-e1572217355410-1024x683.jpg
By Jeff Schultz 1h agocomment-icon@2x.png 19 save-icon@2x.png

Julio Jones wore a T-shirt with the words, “That’s all Folks!” in Looney Tunes script. Whether he intentionally was sending a message about the state of things can’t be certain, but certainly any suggestions that this Falcons’ season has morphed into some pathetic cartoon would be accurate.

Dan Quinn’s employment as coach was extended “a couple of weeks” when owner Arthur Blank said after Sunday’s 27-20 loss to Seattle that he would take this bye week and presumably the week after to evaluate Quinn, the team and his front office before rendering any decisions.

“We’ll take the next couple of weeks during this bye period and evaluate where we are, and whatever decision we make, it will be for the right reasons and long term,” he said, adding later with punctuation, “I’m not bashful about making those decisions.”

He’s right. He’s done it before. So for the, “FIRE HIM NOW!” social media generation, check the outrage a little. It’s only late October. Getting past Tuesday’s trade deadline — when the Falcons will attempt to move players — likely was a factor in the owner delaying the inevitable verdict on Quinn.

But this 1-7 season isn’t all about Quinn. It takes a village to burn a village. One decision doesn’t turn a Super Bowl contender into one of the worst and most underachieving teams in the NFL. Blank will meet with team president Rich McKay and national scouts Ruston Webster and Phil Emery, both former general managers, to sort through this mess. It’s unclear at this time what role general manager Thomas Dimitroff will play in those discussions.

It’s a mess. Here are a few reasons why:

The Brotherhood is an empty platitude

“The Brotherhood” is not a unique concept in sports. It suggests a group of individuals standing together amid adversity and believing and uniting in a common goal. But for this group, “The Brotherhood” is just a phrase on a T-shirt.

Players and coaches can say they love each other all they want. But when a team underachieves to this extent, when it unravels in games, when its defense gets trampled by the mediocre likes of Indianapolis, Tennessee, Houston and Arizona, when the team gets outscored 144-50 in the first half of eight games — yes, 144-50 — there’s nothing that conveys a sense of togetherness or mental or physical toughness. There’s nothing in performances on Sundays that screams, “We’re behind you, Coach.”

Players say they love Quinn. But they play like they’ve abandoned him. There’s your brotherhood.

There’s also way too much love and comfort in the building. Some of this stems from Quinn. Some of it stems from Blank. While it’s important for everybody in the franchise to be on the same page, any organization — sports or otherwise — thrives on dissenting voices. The Falcons have too few of those.

A little friction is good. Some diversity of thought, even better. There’s too much comfort in the organization.

Quinn has lost his mojo

The Falcons’ regular-season win totals since the Super Bowl season (11 wins in 2016) dropped from 10 in 2017 to seven to one (in eight games). Quinn lost offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan after the 2016 season and decided to fire all three of his coordinators after 2018. The moves have backfired.

The offensive coordinator coach search might have been more focused on making Matt Ryan happy than hiring the best possible candidate. Quinn hired Dirk Koetter. Denver head coach Garry Kubiak was available, but Quinn and Dimitroff chose not to wait for Kubiak to be released from his contract in Denver. Kubiak — who was attracted to the Falcons’ job — eventually was cut loose and signed with Minnesota as an offensive consultant. Entering Sunday, the Vikings’ offense ranked fourth in total yardage and ninth in scoring. The Falcons’ offense ranked 16th in yardage and 19th in scoring.

Quinn took over the defense. It didn’t seem like the worst idea at the time, given his background, but the defense’s failure has been Quinn’s biggest failure. It has been years since the defense has been this bad. Quinn has contributed to problems by hiring friends as assistants. Why did nobody say no to Quinn when he hired the inexperienced Jess Simpson as the defensive line coach? That position was once held by Bryan Cox, who was fired after the 2017 season because he was deemed to be too negative and/or too tough on players. But Vic Beasley had his best in 2016 with Cox and Dwight Freeney in his ear.

Locker room of entitled players, little leadership

Several players from the 2016 team should have evolved into leaders by now but haven’t. Notable in this group are Desmond Trufant, DeVondre Campbell, Deion Jones and Beasley.

Trufant and Campbell are candidates to be traded before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline, in addition to Beasley. Jones will not be traded because he is talented, and the Falcons have committed to him financially. But he has not played to expectations this season, nor has he grown into the leader the team had hoped. Another key defensive player, Takk McKinley, is talented and plays hard but needs to mature. There are a number of other personnel issues on defense, but that’s a good start. Beyond Grady Jarrett, there’s no sure thing.

Quinn did not suddenly become a bad coach. But too many players on this team suddenly started believing they are better than they are. Some of that might be on the organization for constantly putting out narratives about the roster’s talent level.

Personnel mistakes by Dimitroff, Quinn

The decision to bring back Beasley on a $12.81 million option was done partly for business reasons: The Falcons were concerned cutting Beasley loose would upset CAA, which also represents Jones and Jarrett, both of whom were entering offseason negotiation. Quinn also went on record as saying he thought he could fix Beasley. It was the mother of all backfires: Beasley’s salary impacted signing decisions, and he has been awful.

It’s too early to judge the full impact of this year’s draft class, given first-round guard Chris Lindstrom is on injured reserve and first-round tackle Kaleb McGary missed four exhibition games. But cornerback Isaiah Oliver, a second-rounder in 2018, has struggled, and the jury is out on McKinley in 2017.

The offensive and defensive lines remain problems. Dimitroff will get most of the blame for this, but he and Quinn work as a tandem in personnel decisions, and the coach has control over the 53-man roster. This is why many view the two as linked in whatever moves Blank decides to make. But are they?

I asked Blank in January if the fate of his coach and general manager were tied together, should 2019 be a poor season. Blank’s response to The Athletic then: “That’s a whole year away. They’re two different people with two different roles. I understand the question, and I understand the answer you would like. But the answer I’m giving is the honest answer, which is that we have a year for things to play out.”

The Falcons’ likely salary cap problems moving forward aren’t all on Dimitroff either. It’s difficult for a general manager to go into negotiations when there’s a high-profile owner such as Blank telling the media that he wants to make Ryan, Julio Jones and Jarrett, “Falcons for life.” They’ve rewarded far too many players with big contracts.

Atlanta was a hungrier team in 2016. One possible reason this team plays with no edge is nobody seems the least bit insecure about their job. Accountability is non-existent.

The front office also has a degree of, “Who’s in charge?” There’s Blank. There’s Quinn and Dimitroff. There’s McKay, who was moved out of the GM’s role but retained to help get a new stadium built, only to quietly slide back into football ops. There’s also Steve Cannon, CEO of the AMB Group. Some clarity and/or streamlining is in order.

Blank said he’s going to take a couple of weeks to sort things out. He’ll need at least that much time.

Jeff Schultz nailed it perfectly. Awesome article.

Players and coaches are complacent, have bought into their own hype, and accountability's seems to be zilch. Guys like Campbell, Trufant, Freeman and Beasley are still trotted out there when they're severely underperforming.

That thing about Beasley's option being picked up was clearly a business move to please Jones and Jarrett's agent. I dont get how those should even correlate considering Beasley hasn't done anything since '16 but whatever. I more so look at it like how are other players going to feel when a 13 million dollar option gets picked up on an underachieving player? Not good. 

Brotherhood is not a bad thing but if there's a bunch of yes men in there, you got a problem. Once again...comfort and no accountability.

And that thing about Cox being let go because he was too tough? Give me a break man. 

Yes, this goes beyond JUST Quinn but Quinn gets a lot of blame for the complacency and comfort around Flowery Branch. Quinn should be blamed for hiring Koetter. At the end of the day, he has full control of the 53 man roster. Man up Quinn and take control of it but I fear it's too late.

Oh and Mr Blank, please stop coddling players. This is on you too for some of this ridiculous contracts. This is a business and we do have a salary cap in the NFL. No more guaranteed "Falcons for life". Everybody earns a spot on the team and everybody earns their contract. Do it the Patriots way. 

Great article. Thanks for posting. 

Unfortunately, Quinn has turned into nothing more than a t-shirt slogan coach that I don't feel is taken seriously any more. He starts talking and it is just more noise in his press conferences. If I tune him out as a fan at this point what is happening with the players and other coaches who have to hear him from morning to night? 

The next coach needs to be way more Belichick and much less Quinn/Smith/Mora. That to me more than anything is where our problem has been and that type of coach selection comes from the top. 

It's time for some accountability where if you don't do your job then you are gone or at least held accountable. I don't watch college football but what Dabo Sweaney did making that player take the bus home vs the plane is along the line of what I'd like to see more of. (No I dont want Dabo). 

Edited by mjqvi

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no urgency at this point. Season’s a wash.

Yep. Should have been 3-4 weeks ago. He will just let the time run out this season and move ahead. It may be interesting to see if AB is gonna fire TD first and then DQ.

53 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Jeff Schultz nailed it perfectly. Awesome article.

Players and coaches are complacent, have bought into their own hype, and accountability's seems to be zilch. Guys like Campbell, Trufant, Freeman and Beasley are still trotted out there when they're severely underperforming.

That thing about Beasley's option being picked up was clearly a business move to please Jones and Jarrett's agent. I dont get how those should even correlate considering Beasley hasn't done anything since '16 but whatever. I more so look at it like how are other players going to feel when a 13 million dollar option gets picked up on an underachieving player? Not good. 

Brotherhood is not a bad thing but if there's a bunch of yes men in there, you got a problem. Once again...comfort and no accountability.

And that thing about Cox being let go because he was too tough? Give me a break man. 

Yes, this goes beyond JUST Quinn but Quinn gets a lot of blame for the complacency and comfort around Flowery Branch. Quinn should be blamed for hiring Koetter. At the end of the day, he has full control of the 53 man roster. Man up Quinn and take control of it but I fear it's too late.

Oh and Mr Blank, please stop coddling players. This is on you too for some of this ridiculous contracts. This is a business and we do have a salary cap in the NFL. No more guaranteed "Falcons for life". Everybody earns a spot on the team and everybody earns their contract. Do it the Patriots way. 

This rt here!

Excellent article as everybody has pointed out. There is clearly a sense of complacency and lack of accountability in the Falcons locker room. And all that brotherhood baloney is way more unicorns and rainbows than an actual do-or-die commitment to collectively be the best team in the league.

The issues do go deeper than Dan Quinn, but Blank must start with him in whatever decisions he makes. If he doesn't fire Quinn, the fans are done for this year. Nothing upsets Blank more than seeing that huge empty stadium. I'm sure it makes him feel like he's head ringmaster in a traveling clown show. And this season that concept hasn't been far off of reality. But it may be his best option to hang tight with Quinn until season's end.

I believe he'll stick with Quinn through to the end of the season. He knows there are other decisions that must be made, and many of those will probably work out  better if they're made in coordination with one another. Changes on that scale can't be done in mid-season, much as I and many others would like to see it happen.

For those who aren't going to be happy to be seeing Dead Man Dan still alive and wandering the sidelines, take heart in knowing there's a good chance for a clean sweep at the end of the season, with TD, Quinn, Koetter and most of the rest of the coaching staff gone.

The scouting department will no doubt see some firings and we might lose another GM or two beyond TD before the last head rolls into the gutter. Obviously there are also going to be roster changes to go with the FO and coaching moves.

Hopefully at season's end we'll still be in line to get a high draft pick, and we have that extra 2nd round pick to look forward to. That will be enough to get us all fired up about 2020 and beyond. Just have to grin and bear it another couple of months, after which the curtain will fall on this regime and its sad legacy for the final time.