Jump to content

Hoop & Sanu with Weaksley


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If we trade Hooper we're stupid. Which worries me because we are in fact stupid.

You don’t trade Hooper. He’s developed a very nice connection with Ryan. We’ve struggled at TE enough seasons since Gonzo retired. Personally, I wouldn’t trade Sanu either. 

For the 1000000000000000th time this week. Trading Hooper would be the dumbest thing they could do. 

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

After a few years of defending Hooper against people parroting that stupidly misinformed idea he has bad hands, it's nice to see most folks finally starting to appreciate the guy.

Never doubted his hands, but he is a below average run blocker. Seen him too many times get blown backwards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Rock said:

Never doubted his hands, but he is a below average run blocker. Seen him too many times get blown backwards. 

"Hooper lasted until the third round of the 2016 draft due to concerns about his hands and route-running, but he has largely quieted those concerns over his first three years in the league. And while his receiving ability is going to be what gets him the payday he’s seeking, he was an above-average performer in terms of run-blocking and pass-blocking last year, per Pro Football Focus’ metrics."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/05/extension-candidate-austin-hooper

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k-train said:

I think we'd be pretty hard pressed to find a team willing to take on the contracts of Tru or Freeman.

There is a team out there somewhere that will believe in him like we did! “Oh Vic is with a garbage *** team.. that’s why he didn’t excel!”

I hope that will be their mentality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

There is a team out there somewhere that will believe in him like we did! “Oh Vic is with a garbage *** team.. that’s why he didn’t excel!”

I hope that will be their mentality. 

If you go back and read what I said again you'll see that I didn't mention Vic. I was responding to what someone wrote about trading Free & Tru in addition to trying to unload Beasley.

Vic is far more trade-able because he'd essentially be a rental for the remainder of this season. If a team with cap room thinks he has potential, he could be worth trading for. If he panned out in their scheme, they'd be able to start negotiating an extension... and if he continued to blow, they could just let him walk & they are only out a draft pick. That's not the case with Tru or Freeman though since both those guys have a few years left on their current deals. Neither of those two is easily cuttable next offseason without taking on a good chunk of dead money & both carry kinda large cap numbers. If a team was to trade for Free but then decide to cut bait after the rest of this season, he could be a post-June 1st cut, but that doesn't do any good during prime free agent signing period. You gotta wait til 2021 to cut Free outright without taking on a bunch of dead money. Tru's situation is even worse. The absolute earliest a team could cut him without taking on lots of dead money would be as a post-June 1st cut in 2021. To cut him outright & not take a significant dead money hit means waiting until 2022. So again, I can't really see a team trading for those two guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So its trade all our trash for good picks?

If the idea is to get better quickly, were going to have to give up some good players to get good picks and rebuild.

I live Hoop and Sanu, but we could probably get a 4th or 5th for Sanu and at least a 3rd for Hoop. Beasley @$$ is grass. He should've been traded last year when there was an offer for a 4th available. Freeman can go to. That's significant draft capital in a draft where we'll already likely be picking pretty high to start. 

If it helps us rebuild and retool quickly I'm for it. There's some really intriguing names hitting FA next year. Having some money to use on quality guys for the new administration would be great.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, shc said:

Trading Hooper would be dumb.  Why take away another tight end like we did with losing Gonzalez, and then Tamme.  Even though I hate that guy.

Funny part is a lot of folks in here today gnashing their teeth about possibly losing Hooper wanted him gone just two seasons ago. :ninja:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Hooper is turning into a very good player, but the Falcons also won’t have the funds to resign him after this year.

Why not?

He's expected to command something like 5 years/$42M... which means an average annual salary of around $8M. That's close to what we are paying Sanu currently. Letting Sanu walk & using that money toward Hooper largely solves that problem.

Plus in addition to losing Sanu's $7.65M cap hit, you'll likely have several other players being let go & coming off the books:
Beasley - $12.8M
Bosher - $2.5M
Bryant - $2.3M
Crawford - $3.6M
Campbell - $2.1M
Stocker - $2M
Schweitzer - $2M
Means - $735k
Hardy - $735k
Ishmael - $735k
Clayborn - $2M

Letting those guys walk after this season frees up something like $38M in cap space for next season. So, we can definitely afford to keep Hooper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, k-train said:

After a few years of defending Hooper against people parroting that stupidly misinformed idea he has bad hands, it's nice to see most folks finally starting to appreciate the guy.

That season where he had 4 INTs ricochet off his hands was rough. Just goes to show though, takes longer for the lightbulb with some guys than others...a lot of folks wanted him cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, k-train said:

Why not?

He's expected to command something like 5 years/$42M... which means an average annual salary of around $8M. That's close to what we are paying Sanu currently. Letting Sanu walk & using that money toward Hooper largely solves that problem.

Plus in addition to losing Sanu's $7.65M cap hit, you'll likely have several other players being let go & coming off the books:
Beasley - $12.8M
Bosher - $2.5M
Bryant - $2.3M
Crawford - $3.6M
Campbell - $2.1M
Stocker - $2M
Schweitzer - $2M
Means - $735k
Hardy - $735k
Ishmael - $735k
Clayborn - $2M

Letting those guys walk after this season frees up something like $38M in cap space for next season. So, we can definitely afford to keep Hooper.

You’re not taking into account that Matt Ryan, Julio, Grady & Deion cap number go up next year. You can’t simply take those resining a away and think you have that money available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

He’s going to break the bank. How are we gonna pay him? He’s probably going to be the highest paid te in the league and possibly of all time due to his age and skill set. I hope we don’t trade him or let him go but how are we going to pay him?

TEs do not cost that much. He will get $9-10M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

That season where he had 4 INTs ricochet off his hands was rough. Just goes to show though, takes longer for the lightbulb with some guys than others...a lot of folks wanted him cut.

It wasn't 4 it was 2 (3 at the most). The crazy thing is that Sanu also had at least 2 that season yet nobody said a thing about his hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

You’re not taking into account that Matt Ryan, Julio, Grady & Deion cap number go up next year. You can’t simply take those resining a away and think you have that money available.

Yes I am taking that into account. There won't be a $38M+ difference between the this year's cap hits for Ryan, Julio, etc. and what they will be next season. Also remember the cap will likely go up another $10M next year. That plus not having the cap hits from the players I listed earlier creates close to $50M in cap space compared to where we are right now. Consider we may opt out of Neal's 5th year option & we have even more room. There will be more than enough to handle the deals in place & an extension for Hooper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yes I am taking that into account. There won't be a $38M+ difference between the this year's cap hits for Ryan, Julio, etc. and what they will be next season. Also remember the cap will likely go up another $10M next year. That plus not having the cap hits from the players I listed earlier creates close to $50M in cap space compared to where we are right now. Consider we may opt out of Neal's 5th year option & we have even more room. There will be more than enough to handle the deals in place & an extension for Hooper.

But I was told Purge... no money... purge?...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...