SoldMySoul

Hoop & Sanu with Weaksley

62 posts in this topic

I guess I'm the only one okay with trading Hooper?

He's a good pass catcher but he is also another reason why our run game sucks. 

Osiruz likes this

1 minute ago, socalriseup said:

Trade beasley, trufant, and freeman.

Sanu is more valuable to us than what we would get in return. And if we traded Hooper I'd **** near turn my back on this franchise

I think we'd be pretty hard pressed to find a team willing to take on the contracts of Tru or Freeman.

Schwarzwald likes this

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

After a few years of defending Hooper against people parroting that stupidly misinformed idea he has bad hands, it's nice to see most folks finally starting to appreciate the guy.

Never doubted his hands, but he is a below average run blocker. Seen him too many times get blown backwards. 

5 minutes ago, The Rock said:

Never doubted his hands, but he is a below average run blocker. Seen him too many times get blown backwards. 

"Hooper lasted until the third round of the 2016 draft due to concerns about his hands and route-running, but he has largely quieted those concerns over his first three years in the league. And while his receiving ability is going to be what gets him the payday he’s seeking, he was an above-average performer in terms of run-blocking and pass-blocking last year, per Pro Football Focus’ metrics."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/05/extension-candidate-austin-hooper

NeonDeion and Schwarzwald like this

24 minutes ago, k-train said:

After a few years of defending Hooper against people parroting that stupidly misinformed idea he has bad hands, it's nice to see most folks finally starting to appreciate the guy.

I’m impressed by how he’s developed. He’s obviously been putting in the work.  

1 hour ago, k-train said:

I think we'd be pretty hard pressed to find a team willing to take on the contracts of Tru or Freeman.

There is a team out there somewhere that will believe in him like we did! “Oh Vic is with a garbage *** team.. that’s why he didn’t excel!”

I hope that will be their mentality. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

16 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

There is a team out there somewhere that will believe in him like we did! “Oh Vic is with a garbage *** team.. that’s why he didn’t excel!”

I hope that will be their mentality. 

If you go back and read what I said again you'll see that I didn't mention Vic. I was responding to what someone wrote about trading Free & Tru in addition to trying to unload Beasley.

Vic is far more trade-able because he'd essentially be a rental for the remainder of this season. If a team with cap room thinks he has potential, he could be worth trading for. If he panned out in their scheme, they'd be able to start negotiating an extension... and if he continued to blow, they could just let him walk & they are only out a draft pick. That's not the case with Tru or Freeman though since both those guys have a few years left on their current deals. Neither of those two is easily cuttable next offseason without taking on a good chunk of dead money & both carry kinda large cap numbers. If a team was to trade for Free but then decide to cut bait after the rest of this season, he could be a post-June 1st cut, but that doesn't do any good during prime free agent signing period. You gotta wait til 2021 to cut Free outright without taking on a bunch of dead money. Tru's situation is even worse. The absolute earliest a team could cut him without taking on lots of dead money would be as a post-June 1st cut in 2021. To cut him outright & not take a significant dead money hit means waiting until 2022. So again, I can't really see a team trading for those two guys.

So its trade all our trash for good picks?

If the idea is to get better quickly, were going to have to give up some good players to get good picks and rebuild.

I live Hoop and Sanu, but we could probably get a 4th or 5th for Sanu and at least a 3rd for Hoop. Beasley @$$ is grass. He should've been traded last year when there was an offer for a 4th available. Freeman can go to. That's significant draft capital in a draft where we'll already likely be picking pretty high to start. 

If it helps us rebuild and retool quickly I'm for it. There's some really intriguing names hitting FA next year. Having some money to use on quality guys for the new administration would be great.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

Cool let’s trade good players so we can draft more Oliver’s. Picks sound sexy tho. 

Trades:

MR No. Very good QBs are hard to get

JJ for the right price

DV Definitely!

Hooper No

VBJ Without a doubt!

MS for the right price

TM No

Edited by falconfan5832
Forgot something

Trading Hooper would be dumb.  Why take away another tight end like we did with losing Gonzalez, and then Tamme.  Even though I hate that guy.

19 hours ago, caponine said:

trade Sanu, Beasley, Freeman, Trufant, Takk. 

Can we throw you in one of those trades just to clean everything up, especially if one is done with 49ers? :ninja:

caponine and Ovie_Lover like this

18 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

He’s going to break the bank. How are we gonna pay him? He’s probably going to be the highest paid te in the league and possibly of all time due to his age and skill set. I hope we don’t trade him or let him go but how are we going to pay him?

Lol not even close

Vandy likes this

19 minutes ago, shc said:

Trading Hooper would be dumb.  Why take away another tight end like we did with losing Gonzalez, and then Tamme.  Even though I hate that guy.

Funny part is a lot of folks in here today gnashing their teeth about possibly losing Hooper wanted him gone just two seasons ago. :ninja:

Hooper is turning into a very good player, but the Falcons also won’t have the funds to resign him after this year.

18 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Hooper is turning into a very good player, but the Falcons also won’t have the funds to resign him after this year.

Why not?

He's expected to command something like 5 years/$42M... which means an average annual salary of around $8M. That's close to what we are paying Sanu currently. Letting Sanu walk & using that money toward Hooper largely solves that problem.

Plus in addition to losing Sanu's $7.65M cap hit, you'll likely have several other players being let go & coming off the books:
Beasley - $12.8M
Bosher - $2.5M
Bryant - $2.3M
Crawford - $3.6M
Campbell - $2.1M
Stocker - $2M
Schweitzer - $2M
Means - $735k
Hardy - $735k
Ishmael - $735k
Clayborn - $2M

Letting those guys walk after this season frees up something like $38M in cap space for next season. So, we can definitely afford to keep Hooper.

18 hours ago, k-train said:

That season where he had 4 INTs ricochet off his hands was rough. Just goes to show though, takes longer for the lightbulb with some guys than others...a lot of folks wanted him cut.

19 minutes ago, k-train said:

Why not?

He's expected to command something like 5 years/$42M... which means an average annual salary of around $8M. That's close to what we are paying Sanu currently. Letting Sanu walk & using that money toward Hooper largely solves that problem.

Plus in addition to losing Sanu's $7.65M cap hit, you'll likely have several other players being let go & coming off the books:
Beasley - $12.8M
Bosher - $2.5M
Bryant - $2.3M
Crawford - $3.6M
Campbell - $2.1M
Stocker - $2M
Schweitzer - $2M
Means - $735k
Hardy - $735k
Ishmael - $735k
Clayborn - $2M

Letting those guys walk after this season frees up something like $38M in cap space for next season. So, we can definitely afford to keep Hooper.

You’re not taking into account that Matt Ryan, Julio, Grady & Deion cap number go up next year. You can’t simply take those resining a away and think you have that money available.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Can we throw you in one of those trades just to clean everything up, especially if one is done with 49ers? :ninja:

LMAOOO , that was actually funny lol. 

Edited by caponine
Vandy likes this

20 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

He’s going to break the bank. How are we gonna pay him? He’s probably going to be the highest paid te in the league and possibly of all time due to his age and skill set. I hope we don’t trade him or let him go but how are we going to pay him?

TEs do not cost that much. He will get $9-10M.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

That season where he had 4 INTs ricochet off his hands was rough. Just goes to show though, takes longer for the lightbulb with some guys than others...a lot of folks wanted him cut.

It wasn't 4 it was 2 (3 at the most). The crazy thing is that Sanu also had at least 2 that season yet nobody said a thing about his hands.

2 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

You’re not taking into account that Matt Ryan, Julio, Grady & Deion cap number go up next year. You can’t simply take those resining a away and think you have that money available.

Yes I am taking that into account. There won't be a $38M+ difference between the this year's cap hits for Ryan, Julio, etc. and what they will be next season. Also remember the cap will likely go up another $10M next year. That plus not having the cap hits from the players I listed earlier creates close to $50M in cap space compared to where we are right now. Consider we may opt out of Neal's 5th year option & we have even more room. There will be more than enough to handle the deals in place & an extension for Hooper.

Schwarzwald and Ovie_Lover like this

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yes I am taking that into account. There won't be a $38M+ difference between the this year's cap hits for Ryan, Julio, etc. and what they will be next season. Also remember the cap will likely go up another $10M next year. That plus not having the cap hits from the players I listed earlier creates close to $50M in cap space compared to where we are right now. Consider we may opt out of Neal's 5th year option & we have even more room. There will be more than enough to handle the deals in place & an extension for Hooper.

But I was told Purge... no money... purge?...

3 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Lol not even close

Really? Cuz he’s 24 with a great skill set having a career year in a market that doesn’t have a lot of talent. The other great TE’s never saw free agency and were given extensions prior to free agency so yeah I’m pretty close there, Ovie. Supply and demand.