Jump to content

The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread


robertap
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Skott Lee said:

Let me put it this way: Things have to be dead on perfect for the OFFENSE to perform well. We are 23rd in scoring offense and 20th in Time of Possession. I guess Matt is performing well under those circumstances but his legs and his arm can no longer make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak. 
 

In Matt’s case, a passing philosophy that lets Matt get rid of the ball quickly is a must at this stage of his career. It’s been said here many times that the route patterns are too long. 

No things don't have to be dead-on perfect for a Ryan led offense to perform. They did pretty solid in 2018 with a lot of holes on Offense.

Once again the TEAM did poorly because the D was utterly ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Skott Lee said:

That is true. But physically he’s not what he used to be. He can’t even run well enough to escape a pass rush and his always-questionable arm strength has taken a huge dip. Everything around him has to be dead-on perfect for him to function well, i.e., great blocking and receivers getting separation on routes. 

But neither brady nor brees are either. Being an elite QB is more than peak physical arm strength, it’s about the mental part of game and the experiences from being a savvy vet.

Brees doesn’t have near the arm strength he once had, but he has a good running game and top 10 defense to compliment the leadership he brings to team. Wasn’t that long ago Aints were mired in the mediocrity of 7-9.

Matt is at that Similar stage of his career that if you give him the pieces, he’ll QB this team to a SB win much like Brees probably will this year, and like Brady, Peyton Manning, elway et al before him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

But neither are brady nor brees either. Being an elite QB is more than peak physical arm strength, it’s about the mental part of game and the experiences from being a savvy vet.

Brees doesn’t have near the arm strength he once had, but he has a good running game and top 10 defense to compliment the leadership he brings to team. Wasn’t that long ago Aints were mired in the mediocrity of 7-9.

Matt is at that Similar stage of his career that if you give him the pieces, he’ll QB this team to a SB win much like Brees probably will this year, and like Brady, Peyton Manning, elway et al before him. 

Ok it’s 2 against 1 now. You win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Geneaut said:

No QB is going to win much with this historically inept Defense. I'm not sure I get the point about the team structured to help Ryan succeed though? 

Exactly... and it's not like the team was expected to win by just giving Matt weapons.

We drafted Beasley, Senat, and signed Grady to an extension. We drafted Neal, Debo, Campbell. The team thought they had something signing Trufant to a big deal... all the while having the DL whisperer who was going to have his hand picked talent playing all fast and furious...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look I’m not claiming Ryan is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and a vast majority of his fans just think he’s not the inept scourge of professional QBs many people portray him as. 

He’s older. He never had a cannon. He’s not crazy mobile. We get all that. In a year or two I’d be glad to discuss drafting his replacement if Benkert doesn’t progress. 
All that said he’s no where near the current biggest problem on this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Look I’m not claiming Ryan is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and a vast majority of his fans just think he’s not the inept scourge of professional QBs many people portray him as. 

He’s older. He never had a cannon. He’s not crazy mobile. We get all that. In a year or two I’d be glad to discuss drafting his replacement if Benkert doesn’t progress. 
All that said he’s no where near the current biggest problem on this team. 

You're seriously suggesting Benkhart is the potential replacement? Laughable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

You're seriously suggesting Benkhart is the potential replacement? Laughable. 

I'm saying I'd like to see what he's got. He showed a small amount of promise in the HOF game and I hate he got hurt before we could clearly see more one way or the other. He probably isn't anything special, but it would be interesting if he was. I'm curious about what the plans for our #2 QB will be this offseason.

Heck, I'd like to see what Etling can do.

 

Edited by Geneaut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm saying I'd like to see what he's got. He showed a small amount of promise in the HOF game and I hate he got hurt before we could clearly see more one way or the other. He probably isn't anything special, but it would be interesting if he was. I'm curious about what the plans for our #2 QB will be this offseason.

Heck, I'd like to see what Etling can do.

 

We need to draft Ryan's replacement in 2021. Fields or Lawrence. I'd even be open to kicking the tires on Jalen Hurts if he falls to the 3rd in this years' draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, D.B.N. said:

We need to draft Ryan's replacement in 2021. Fields or Lawrence. I'd even be open to kicking the tires on Jalen Hurts if he falls to the 3rd in this years' draft. 

You have to time it right. If you draft too early their rookie contract is up before Matt's. or shortly after it. You don't want to have to re-up a promising young player with no real idea what you have in him. But yes, 2021 or 2022 seems like a great time to start looking hard at some guys. I'd also like to churn through some low/mid round picks prior to that just to see if you might get lucky. I really was interested in Tyree Jackson in the last draft for that reason. He didn't make it with the Bills, but I liked his size and arm

Edited by Geneaut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

You have to time it right. If you draft too early their rookie contract is up before Matt's. or shortly after it. You don't want to have to re-up a promising young player with no real idea what you have in him. But yes, 2021 or 2022 seems like a great time to start looking hard at some guys. I'd also like to churn through some low/mid round picks prior to that just to see if you might get lucky. I really was interested in Tyree Jackson in the last draft for that reason. He didn't make it with the Bills, but I liked his size and arm

You make a good point with the timing of it. Im no cap expert, but when could we realistically move on from Ryan without too much of a cap hit? 2022 right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Vandy said:

But neither brady nor brees are either. Being an elite QB is more than peak physical arm strength, it’s about the mental part of game and the experiences from being a savvy vet.

Brees doesn’t have near the arm strength he once had, but he has a good running game and top 10 defense to compliment the leadership he brings to team. Wasn’t that long ago Aints were mired in the mediocrity of 7-9.

Matt is at that Similar stage of his career that if you give him the pieces, he’ll QB this team to a SB win much like Brees probably will this year, and like Brady, Peyton Manning, elway et al before him. 

But but but... Stop comparing all-time greats to Matt Ryan. It's annoying. He is not those guys and never will be those guys. He was never that good, at best good and now just washed up. 

Brees has never been the problem. He was usually the answer to why they have a shot. Ryan, on the other hand, is always part of the problem. His contract, his arm, his mobility, his lack of talent, he has always been an issue in some form or fashion. The only people who think otherwise are the dap fishers of the Matt Ryan Stan Club. 

Edited by Top Draft Pick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Look I’m not claiming Ryan is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and a vast majority of his fans just think he’s not the inept scourge of professional QBs many people portray him as. 

He’s older. He never had a cannon. He’s not crazy mobile. We get all that. In a year or two I’d be glad to discuss drafting his replacement if Benkert doesn’t progress. 
All that said he’s no where near the current biggest problem on this team. 

Usually, when Ryan stans at this washed stage of his career defend him and his honor, it's always about his brain. His brain is still sharp and so is Brady, Brees and them. 

You know what, you are right, his brain is still sharp. But he has gone from a poor athlete at the QB position to a flat out pathetic one. Brees was always a good athlete at QB. Brady has magic feet and still has magic feet. Once those leave he's done but they haven't and he is still performing even if his arm has regressed some. But Ryan completely lost his athletic ability and his arm like all of them, have regressed but for Ryan, it's a double whammy as his arm was never on their level, to begin with. Just face the facts, your man is washed! 

Edited by Top Draft Pick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I'm saying I'd like to see what he's got. He showed a small amount of promise in the HOF game and I hate he got hurt before we could clearly see more one way or the other. He probably isn't anything special, but it would be interesting if he was. I'm curious about what the plans for our #2 QB will be this offseason.

Heck, I'd like to see what Etling can do.

 

Now I understand why you are a Matt Ryan stan. Suggesting Benkhart is pure foolishness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Top Draft Pick said:

But but but... Stop comparing all-time greats to Matt Ryan. It's annoying. He is not those guys and never will be those guys. He was never that good, at best good and now just washed up. 

Brees has never been the problem. He was usually the answer to why they have a shot. Ryan, on the other hand, is always part of the problem. His contract, his arm, his mobility, his lack of talent, he has always been an issue in some form or fashion. The only people who think otherwise are the dap fishers of the Matt Ryan Stan Club. 

LOL, so dumb I won’t even go there with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you know I was just listening to a sports talk show, some 2 ohio state fans called in.They mentioned that Justin fields had miles apart more to offer then jake frohm.( of course they were hommering), they also went on to say frohm is just like matt ryan, he will fill up the stat sheets but will not win you the big game. this I not just what some people on this blog say about matt ryan, its what other sports fans think.thats  why you rarely see him talked about on sports center & you definitely want see him on any highlight reels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, Vandy said:

LOL, so dumb I won’t even go there with you.

you know, aron Rodgers is another example, I just saw Rodgers ( witch doesn't have a marquee offensive line) scramble to his right diving off his feet throwing a fifty yard dart to the end zone on a covered receiever.Thats what you pay 30 million for,not plodding to the left plodding to the right,sometimes run into a sack and crumble when one man gets to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, shango said:

you know I was just listening to a sports talk show, some 2 ohio state fans called in.They mentioned that Justin fields had miles apart more to offer then jake frohm.( of course they were hommering), they also went on to say frohm is just like matt ryan, he will fill up the stat sheets but will not win you the big game. this I not just what some people on this blog say about matt ryan, its what other sports fans think.thats  why you rarely see him talked about on sports center & you definitely want see him on any highlight reels.

Even frohm is better on his feet than bambi legs but yeah thats basically the nfl consensus on Ryan. Peeps just don’t care about him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shango said:

you know, aron Rodgers is another example, I just saw Rodgers ( witch doesn't have a marquee offensive line) scramble to his right diving off his feet throwing a fifty yard dart to the end zone on a covered receiever.Thats what you pay 30 million for,not plodding to the left plodding to the right,sometimes run into a sack and crumble when one man gets to him.

Aron? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Even frohm is better on his feet than bambi legs but yeah thats basically the nfl consensus on Ryan. Peeps just don’t care about him.

One would hope so. My guess is most men 14 years younger are “better on their feet“ than you and most other TAFTers are too. 
 

Come on bro....Bambi legs? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...