The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread

robertap

12 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Not true. Get him a star running back with a good OC, he’ll do what he needs to do.

Sure his numbers and effectiveness will improve with stars all around him compared to now, but I’m talking about him physically becoming better. The 13 years of getting battered plus the natural aging process is already taking its toll. In other words, a 35 year old Matt with a good coordinator and running game won’t do as well as a 28 year old Matt in the same situation. Physically his ceiling has been reached. 

Im speaking to the people who seem to treat Matt like he’s still young as has skills left to develop. That part ain’t happening. 

Edited by Skott Lee

6 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Sure his numbers and effectiveness will improve with stars all around him compared to now, but I’m talking about him physically becoming better. The 13 years of getting battered plus the natural aging process is already taking its toll. In other words, a 35 year old Matt with a good coordinator and running game won’t do as well as a 28 year old Matt in the same situation. Physically his ceiling has been reached. 

Im speaking to the people who seem to treat Matt like he’s still young as has skills left to develop. That part ain’t happening. 

Matt has definitely hit his ceiling. But his ceiling is also high. The team can absolutely still win with him for another 4-5 seasons. It takes the right coaching staff

7 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Matt has definitely hit his ceiling. But his ceiling is also high. The team can absolutely still win with him for another 4-5 seasons. It takes the right coaching staff

If the Chargers could still win with Rivers, then the Falcons should be able to win with Ryan, honestly. Rivers arm has declined a bit as well, his deep balls don't have as much zip as they used to.

17 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I disagree with that notion. He's on the decline, his skills are eroding and to be honest, he's washed but you can play the game of what if's if you want. I don't and won't. Right now, he is the QB of one of the worst teams in the NFL with one of the highest salaries in the sport. He isn't holding his own weight and likely will never hold his own weight ever again at this stage of his career but continue to sell this idea that we just need this and that because you are a personal fan of his. 

9 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

If the Chargers could still win with Rivers, then the Falcons should be able to win with Ryan, honestly. Rivers arm has declined a bit as well, his deep balls don't have as much zip as they used to.

The Chargers are 3-5 and are about to draft their QB of the future soon as should we. 

Edited by Top Draft Pick

5 hours ago, Top Draft Pick said:

I disagree with that notion. He's on the decline, his skills are eroding and to be honest, he's washed but you can play the game of what if's if you want. I don't and won't. Right now, he is the QB of one of the worst teams in the NFL with one of the highest salaries in the sport. He isn't holding his own weight and likely will never hold his own weight ever again at this stage of his career but continue to sell this idea that we just need this and that because you are a personal fan of his. 

The Chargers are 3-5 and are about to draft their QB of the future soon as should we. 

Lol

On 11/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, JD dirtybird21 said:

Not true. Get him a star running back with a good OC, he’ll do what he needs to do.

No doubt about it.  Ryan is still a beast capable of winning a SB.

But I will be completely honest: if we are sitting at #2 or #3 in the draft and Burrow is still available, I don’t see how we pass him up if the team loves him.

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

But I will be completely honest: if we are sitting at #2 or #3 in the draft and Burrow is still available, I don’t see how we pass him up if the team loves him.

You pass him up if Chase Young is there 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:02 PM, THEHEADCOACH said:

rything I posted was just facts not excuses. Everything you posted was complete ********. Go sit down and don't forget to breathe. 

well there are a lot of qb,'s that don't have half of what matt ryan has to throw to neither do they have a marquee offensive line, but they make it happen, if you want to spit shine matt ryans jock strap , go right ahead.but I refused to be bored to death by a QB whose time has passed that did not take advantage of the opportunity to be great.i knowi want be clamoring to get to the stadium to see him, you can expect sparce crowds from now on as long as he is there.

Edited by shango

2 hours ago, shango said:

well there are a lot of qb,'s that don't have half of what matt ryan has to throw to neither do they have a marquee offensive line, but they make it happen, if you want to spit shine matt ryans jock strap , go right ahead.but I refused to be bored to death by a QB whose time has passed that did not take advantage of the opportunity to be great.i knowi want be clamoring to get to the stadium to see him, you can expect sparce crowds from now on as long as he is there.

Awesome! It will instantly be a better place.

Brady and the Pats lost to the Ravens by almost 20 points when the Ravens scored 5 out of 8 possessions(they had 10 possessions but 2 of them were at end of half and end of game).  This is consistently what happened when teams played the Falcons defense so far this year.  It just goes to show that you aren’t going to win too many games when your defense can’t stop other team no matter who your QB is.

21 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That move would set this franchise further backwards in so many ways.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, Skott Lee said:

Reality check - There will not be a better version of Matt Ryan in the future. He will be 35 at the beginning of next season. Skills do not improve after 35. They decrease. What you see now is as good as it will get. He is no longer a piece to build around. 

We don’t need him to be, silly boy. We just need better coaching on both sides of ball and rest of team to play up to their potential. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

We don’t need him to be.  We just need better coaching on both sides of ball and rest of team to play up to their potential. 

That is true. But physically he’s not what he used to be. He can’t even run well enough to escape a pass rush and his always-questionable arm strength has taken a huge dip. Everything around him has to be dead-on perfect for him to function well, i.e., great blocking and receivers getting separation on routes. 

44 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

That is true. But physically he’s not what he used to be. He can’t even run well enough to escape a pass rush and his always-questionable arm strength has taken a huge dip. Everything around him has to be dead-on perfect for him to function well, i.e., great blocking and receivers getting separation on routes. 

Things do not have to be dead-on perfect for him to function well. He's functioning well with what we have now. Not great, but plenty good enough to win if we had a semi-competent defense.

Truth be told:

1. Except for the coaches, players, trainers and corporations. sports is entertainment. For those others it's a business.

2. Football is a team sport not an individual sport.

I watch the Falcons because I want to see the team. It's the Atlanta Falcons not the Atlanta Ryans.

I never watch because I want to see what Matt Ryan does. Ryan is not my source of entertainment.  He's like over cooked macaroni without the cheese. He needs other ingredients to make him palatable. Ryan doesn't put butts in the seats at the stadium.

I believe at this point even the hardcore Stan(s) can see this.

This point will make those hardcore guys a little angry. The team doesn't rally around the $30 mil a year Matt Ryan.

8 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Truth be told:

1. Except for the coaches, players, trainers and corporations. sports is entertainment. For those others it's a business.

2. Football is a team sport not an individual sport.

I watch the Falcons because I want to see the team. It's the Atlanta Falcons not the Atlanta Ryans.

I never watch because I want to see what Matt Ryan does. Ryan is not my source of entertainment.  He's like over cooked macaroni without the cheese. He needs other ingredients to make him palatable. Ryan doesn't put butts in the seats at the stadium.

I believe at this point even the hardcore Stan(s) can see this.

This point will make those hardcore guys a little angry. The team doesn't rally around the $30 mil a year Matt Ryan.

I don't watch the team because of Matt Ryan either, but I do think he's capable of winning plenty of NFL games and that he isn't the main issue with the current team. Just because people have that mindset doesn't mean they like Ryan more than the team.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I don't watch the team because of Matt Ryan either, but I do think he's capable of winning plenty of NFL games and that he isn't the main issue with the current team. Just because people have that mindset doesn't mean they like Ryan more than the team.

But you have to admit the team is structured to help Ryan succeed.

It isn't structured to be a dominating defense for example.

Ryan isn't going to win plenty of NFL games much less meaningful NFL games until the defense is fixed.

That means not drafting WRs with the 1st pick and focusing on the defense.

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Things do not have to be dead-on perfect for him to function well. He's functioning well with what we have now. Not great, but plenty good enough to win if we had a semi-competent defense.

Let me put it this way: Things have to be dead on perfect for the OFFENSE to perform well. We are 23rd in scoring offense and 20th in Time of Possession. I guess Matt is performing well under those circumstances but his legs and his arm can no longer make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak. 

In Matt’s case, a passing philosophy that lets Matt get rid of the ball quickly is a must at this stage of his career. It’s been said here many times that the route patterns are too long. 

Edited by Skott Lee

16 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

But you have to admit the team is structured to help Ryan succeed.

It isn't structured to be a dominating defense for example.

Ryan isn't going to win plenty of NFL games much less meaningful NFL games until the defense is fixed.

That means not drafting WRs with the 1st pick and focusing on the defense.

No QB is going to win much with this historically inept Defense. I'm not sure I get the point about the team structured to help Ryan succeed though? 

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

No QB is going to win much with this historically inept Defense. I'm not sure I get the point about the team structured to help Ryan succeed though? 

It's pretty obvious when you think about it. Bring in Tony Gonzalez, Julio, Mike Tice to caoch the Oline, Sanu, Ridley on up to The 2 FA and 2 first round draft picks. Putting most of the salary cap on the offensive side of the ball. Not drafting a QB to succeed Ryan.

1 hour ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

It's pretty obvious when you think about it. Bring in Tony Gonzalez, Julio, Mike Tice to caoch the Oline, Sanu, Ridley on up to The 2 FA and 2 first round draft picks. Putting most of the salary cap on the offensive side of the ball. Not drafting a QB to succeed Ryan.

How often had we seriously invested on the OL in the draft before this season? Matthews? Baker before him. Mack and a bunch of scrubs in FA ? Mike Tice as an OL Coach was because we had Ryan?

I'm saying all the moves you guys claim are to 'prop' Ryan up are really just good moves in general. A HOF TE for a 2nd round draft pick? Yes please.