The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread

10 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

The likelihood of a young QB being better than Ryan from out the gate is slim. The College QBs coming into the league seem to have the athleticism but not as much knowledge of the game. Ryan can help bridge that gap. So that when they are ready to start, it’ll be a much smoother transition. 

It depends on the QB. More importantly, if you are looking for any rookie to come in with the preparation and brain of Matt Ryan, you are kidding yourself like expecting any QB to have the size and athleticism of Cam Newton or expecting any QB to have the arm and leadership of Flacco, or expecting any QB to have the understanding of defenses as Andy Dalton. That said, all of those QB's greatly declined to the point where they are no longer effective at their skill-set at an elite or solid level of what they are and now they are overcompensating for what they lost with no added abilities to do so. 

Any rookie we draft will have their own flaws, (Tua, Burrow) Some might even need a redshirt year (Hurts, Love, Fromm. Eason, Herbert) and they will all need to be developed. The thing is, they are all developing into what they are at the NFL level and have no declining skills.

No matter if Matt, Cam, Joe, and others have polish on their side, they have declining abilities on their side too. I know his stans can't see it but everyone else can. I'll rather draft a rookie, especially one like Tua and just develop him into a superstar QB. Especially with his field vision, anticipation and placement which would be monstrous with Julio, Hooper, and Ridley. Ryan sadly due to his declining skills can't take advantage of this anymore and why even with these weapons, he is only effective at stat padding than actually making our offense into an explosive version of the Kurt Warner' Rams due to his physical decline. 

Another thing that needs to stop by Matt Ryan stans is comparing the health of QB's to Tom freaking Brady and comparing talent to Brady. Brady only has the best feet ever in the pocket. He only has the best brain outside of Peyton Manning. He only has the best anticipation we ever have seen in NFL history. Brady might be the best QB to ever lace them up and his skill-set transcends a role which Ryan, Newton, Dalton, and guys like that don't. Stop comparing legends to legends in your own mind, please. 

Edited by Top Draft Pick
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Padded stats are when you get yards and stats when there's no chance of catching up. They keep catching up. It's actually much easier to have good stats with a run game.  The opposing defens

You guys and your obsession with Tua...yikes... To the OP, heck no.

How are the stats padded? Each game has had him bring the team back within one score before the defense falls down and lets the game get away. He isn't a rookie. He wouldn't have to learn a new system

18 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

^ This. 

Certain posters try to make it seem like this NEVER happens, when it’s a common place in the NFL.

Get a young QB and let him learn under Ryan for the next few years. Ryan is playing well and has a vast amount of knowledge to give a new QB. The pressure for the new QB to start and win won’t be there.

Ryan’s gifts were always his “intangibles”. While his weaknesses were always his measurables. He has still succeeded in the NFL. I’m sure if we did draft a another QB, Ryan would be an amazing mentor to have. Similar to how Horn helped Roddy out. No one is saying to toss him out once a new QB gets here, quite the opposite. We still need Ryan for a few more years. 

Ryan's contract and no-trade clause make it impossible to do anything to him next year other than bench him. That said, while I do want Ryan to start at least the season next year. I would love to get Tua, Burrow, Love, Fromm, Hurts or someone like that to develop behind him as comp and as to slowly move onto our future QB.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:48 AM, THEHEADCOACH said:

Sadly, Ryan is use to it. No stability has been one of the biggest things to hurt his career, but he will do it again. Adjusting to the west coast offense was the biggest curve for him, i think he will be fine with anything else. He's seen a little of everything. We just need a solid defense to give him and the offense time to settle down. More stops , means more opportunities to get going. The crap defenses we have always fielded , ain't gonna cut it, or it will be a long season. Have to give the new OC time to get going too. Learn how to use his players.

excuses, excuses,excuses always an excuse, his jockstrap was 2 inches to the left,the decals were too heavy on his helmet,he needs a lionel blanket before the game,what else does the 30 million dollar man?we negated the defense side of the ball b/c wethought we could put the game on matt ryan shoulders.thats why we spent a **** load to get julio.as I remember shanahan was trying to get matt ryan used to throwing on roll outs, he did not master that until his second year,b/c god knows unless his feet is planted, his balls flutter.but b/c of that our offense started to take off.all an elite QB needs is a chance & he has had his chances.

50 minutes ago, Top Draft Pick said:

Ryan's contract and no-trade clause make it impossible to do anything to him next year other than bench him. That said, while I do want Ryan to start at least the season next year. I would love to get Tua, Burrow, Love, Fromm, Hurts or someone like that to develop behind him as comp and as to slowly move onto our future QB.

yep, at least do that b/c new orleans is already ahead of us

1 hour ago, Top Draft Pick said:

It depends on the QB. More importantly, if you are looking for any rookie to come in with the preparation and brain of Matt Ryan, you are kidding yourself like expecting any QB to have the size and athleticism of Cam Newton or expecting any QB to have the arm and leadership of Flacco, or expecting any QB to have the understanding of defenses as Andy Dalton. That said, all of those QB's greatly declined to the point where they are no longer effective at their skill-set at an elite or solid level of what they are and now they are overcompensating for what they lost with no added abilities to do so. 

Any rookie we draft will have their own flaws, (Tua, Burrow) Some might even need a redshirt year (Hurts, Love, Fromm. Eason, Herbert) and they will all need to be developed. The thing is, they are all developing into what they are at the NFL level and have no declining skills.

No matter if Matt, Cam, Joe, and others have polish on their side, they have declining abilities on their side too. I know his stans can't see it but everyone else can. I'll rather draft a rookie, especially one like Tua and just develop him into a superstar QB. Especially with his field vision, anticipation and placement which would be monstrous with Julio, Hooper, and Ridley. Ryan sadly due to his declining skills can't take advantage of this anymore and why even with these weapons, he is only effective at stat padding than actually making our offense into an explosive version of the Kurt Warner' Rams due to his physical decline. 

Another thing that needs to stop by Matt Ryan stans is comparing the health of QB's to Tom freaking Brady and comparing talent to Brady. Brady only has the best feet ever in the pocket. He only has the best brain outside of Peyton Manning. He only has the best anticipation we ever have seen in NFL history. Brady might be the best QB to ever lace them up and his skill-set transcends a role which Ryan, Newton, Dalton, and guys like that don't. Stop comparing legends to legends in your own mind, please. 

You literally stated nearly everything to me that I said to another guy lol. Please read the previous posts I made. 

54 minutes ago, Top Draft Pick said:

Can you link to where it was stated that Ryan has a “no trade” clause in his contract?

If we draft a QB, it’s a moot point as Ryan’s contract runs through the 2023 season. Ideally we draft a QB this year. Let him sit and absorb the game and learn from Ryan. Depending on Ryan’s regression we should start him in roughly 2-3 years. Which puts him right when Ryan’s contract is set to end. 

I haven't seen enough of Joe Burrow but from what I see I like but for the QB's I've seen:

1. Tua - I think he has NFL superstar potential but he's like Steph Curry, you worry about that ankle and his size. He's not an unquestionable QB1 due to those health concerns but otherwise, the best QB in the last three drafts out of college at least. I know he can play Day 1 and win games in this league. Draft Range for now: 1st overall

2. Burrow - I like the little I've seen from him this season. I wasn't super high on him last year where I have seen a lot more of him but he has improved a lot from the metrics. I am not sure if he can win games Day 1 but scouts seem to think he can. Draft Range for now: Top 10

3. Love - Not a fan of his stats but the tape looks extremely good. Good field vision, can make every throw, throws his WR's open and gives them room for YAC, and climbs the pocket well. He is raw but I like him a lot. Got some Patty Mahomes to him. Draft Range for now: Mid to Late 1st

4. Fromm - I am a big fan of Fromm. He is not a system fit for everyone. Everyone won't love him but I believe in his long term potential a lot. I am a big fan. The big knock on him is he doesn't do much special and he doesn't throw up the middle but I like his feet, I like his feel, I like his playcalling and I like his brain which is the best in this draft. Some say Brees, some say, Keenum, some say shades of Brady but I say he is a tad like Bridgewater with a dash of Tom Brady. Draft Range for now: Late 1st 

5. Eason - I like Eason pro potential more than his college potential like Stafford. For me, he is a mix of Flacco and Stafford. Not the best of but just a mix of the two. I think he should be a clear late 1st rounder. Draft Range for now: Late 1st 

6. Hurts - I think of all of the QB's on this list, he has the lowest floor but has one of the higher ceilings. He reminds me of Dak in terms of work ethic, marked for improvement, will to win and personal drive. But I have questions about his eyes, I don't think goes through progressions fast and I think his arm strength is just solid, not good, very good, great, or elite but just solid. That said, his feel for the game is exceptional and for a game manager type with playmaking skills, that's a rare combination. He could surprise people and be a much better pro than people expect in the right system with the right tutelage. Like all game managers, he needs to get the ball out fast but he can move some and that could open some things long term. I think he is a 2nd-3rd round pick but needs to go to the right situation with a very creative OC. Draft Range for now: 2nd-3rd round pick. 

7. Herbert - Someone said he is a better QB version of Josh Allen. Nope! To me, he is a better version of Blaine Gabbert but still a lot like Gabbert. I don't see the potential in him but his floor may give people a higher opinion than anything. Draft Range for now: 3rd-4th round pick. 

Edited by Top Draft Pick
15 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

We do not, and I repeat, DO NOT need to take a QB this year. Hopefully draft Chase Young this year, and in 2021 we draft Fields or Lawrence. They sit behind Ryan one year and then in 2022, we move on from Ryan. 

There is no guarantee we will be a bottom two team next year. Considering both are QB1 prospects, I don't think teams would be willing to trade down either. 

2 hours ago, Top Draft Pick said:

I haven't seen enough of Joe Burrow but from what I see I like but for the QB's I've seen:

1. Tua - I think he has NFL superstar potential but he's like Steph Curry, you worry about that ankle and his size. He's not an unquestionable QB1 due to those health concerns but otherwise, the best QB in the last three drafts out of college at least. I know he can play Day 1 and win games in this league. Draft Range for now: 1st overall

2. Burrow - I like the little I've seen from him this season. I wasn't super high on him last year where I have seen a lot more of him but he has improved a lot from the metrics. I am not sure if he can win games Day 1 but scouts seem to think he can. Draft Range for now: Top 10

3. Love - Not a fan of his stats but the tape looks extremely good. Good field vision, can make every throw, throws his WR's open and gives them room for YAC, and climbs the pocket well. He is raw but I like him a lot. Got some Patty Mahomes to him. Draft Range for now: Mid to Late 1st

4. Fromm - I am a big fan of Fromm. He is not a system fit for everyone. Everyone won't love him but I believe in his long term potential a lot. I am a big fan. The big knock on him is he doesn't do much special and he doesn't throw up the middle but I like his feet, I like his feel, I like his playcalling and I like his brain which is the best in this draft. Some say Brees, some say, Keenum, some say shades of Brady but I say he is a tad like Bridgewater with a dash of Tom Brady. Draft Range for now: Late 1st 

5. Eason - I like Eason pro potential more than his college potential like Stafford. For me, he is a mix of Flacco and Stafford. Not the best of but just a mix of the two. I think he should be a clear late 1st rounder. Draft Range for now: Late 1st 

6. Hurts - I think of all of the QB's on this list, he has the lowest floor but has one of the higher ceilings. He reminds me of Dak in terms of work ethic, marked for improvement, will to win and personal drive. But I have questions about his eyes, I don't think goes through progressions fast and I think his arm strength is just solid, not good, very good, great, or elite but just solid. That said, his feel for the game is exceptional and for a game manager type with playmaking skills, that's a rare combination. He could surprise people and be a much better pro than people expect in the right system with the right tutelage. Like all game managers, he needs to get the ball out fast but he can move some and that could open some things long term. I think he is a 2nd-3rd round pick but needs to go to the right situation with a very creative OC. Draft Range for now: 2nd-3rd round pick. 

7. Herbert - Someone said he is a better QB version of Josh Allen. Nope! To me, he is a better version of Blaine Gabbert but still a lot like Gabbert. I don't see the potential in him but his floor may give people a higher opinion than anything. Draft Range for now: 3rd-4th round pick. 

Some of the best observations I've seen on these top of the pile qb's. We can't sit on Ryan and not plan for a future without him. If we get the right guy and he can GO, then sit Ryan or try and trade him, as I see his skills regressing as well.

18 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

The likelihood of a young QB being better than Ryan from out the gate is slim. The College QBs coming into the league seem to have the athleticism but not as much knowledge of the game. Ryan can help bridge that gap. So that when they are ready to start, it’ll be a much smoother transition. 

Really?  Explain that...

6 hours ago, Top Draft Pick said:

Justin Fields is better than every quarterback you listed...

7 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

We do not, and I repeat, DO NOT need to take a QB this year. Hopefully draft Chase Young this year, and in 2021 we draft Fields or Lawrence. They sit behind Ryan one year and then in 2022, we move on from Ryan. 

It would be incredibly stupid to take a QB with one of our day 1 or day 2 picks with the holes on this team now and next season especially after cuts.  It's not time yet.

26 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You want me to explain why a College QB wouldn’t have as much knowledge of the NFL as Matt Ryan? 

If THATS what you were referring to,  thats understandable.  One thing though, teams are not sitting rookie quarterbacks anymore.  When they invest a number 1 pick on a qb now, they want that qb to start right away...

30 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

If THATS what you were referring to,  thats understandable.  One thing though, teams are not sitting rookie quarterbacks anymore.  When they invest a number 1 pick on a qb now, they want that qb to start right away...

Most teams don’t have a “Matt Ryan” type to teach them either. If a team has the mentor, they have the option to let then sit and learn the game. Most of the time though it’s a “do or die” situation when a rookie QB starts. 

On 11/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, shango said:

excuses, excuses,excuses always an excuse, his jockstrap was 2 inches to the left,the decals were too heavy on his helmet,he needs a lionel blanket before the game,what else does the 30 million dollar man?we negated the defense side of the ball b/c wethought we could put the game on matt ryan shoulders.thats why we spent a **** load to get julio.as I remember shanahan was trying to get matt ryan used to throwing on roll outs, he did not master that until his second year,b/c god knows unless his feet is planted, his balls flutter.but b/c of that our offense started to take off.all an elite QB needs is a chance & he has had his chances.

Everything I posted was just facts not excuses. Everything you posted was complete ********. Go sit down and don't forget to breathe. 

15 hours ago, shango said:

Reality check - There will not be a better version of Matt Ryan in the future. He will be 35 at the beginning of next season. Skills do not improve after 35. They decrease. What you see now is as good as it will get. He is no longer a piece to build around. 

42 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Reality check - There will not be a better version of Matt Ryan in the future. He will be 35 at the beginning of next season. Skills do not improve after 35. They decrease. What you see now is as good as it will get. He is no longer a piece to build around. 

Not true. Get him a star running back with a good OC, he’ll do what he needs to do.