The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread

robertap

22 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

RG3 was derailed by injuries and a inept coaching. Kaep was protected by a scheme and defense. And no one that actually knew football, thought Cam was changing anything. Minus his 2015 season he’s never looked to be impressive. Add into that his sulking and you have a severely overrated player. But if we’re going to go to older players then we need to add in Roethlisberger, who wasn’t the fastest player, but he was mobile and could escape the pocket when needed to. 

Bottom line they were flash in the pan. Excuses ..

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No. It’s different. Manning was let go because of major injury and team was picking first. Colts would have just rolled with Manning if not for a Surgery. Joe Montana and Favre, the teams planned to move on,

It happens more often than people think.  Off the top for my head, these Pro Bowl QB’s were all traded or cut while still playing at a very high level:

•  Montana

•  Favre

•  Manning

•. Moon to Vikings

•. Theisman From Dolphins to Skins (stop in CFL)

•  Plunkett

• Tarkenton

• Bledsoe

• Carsen Palmer

• Drew Brees

3 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Favre was also a gunslinger and had taken far more brutal shots than Ryan; although Brett played through it all he did rely on the game Rodgers molded his game off of.

^His athleticism. Ryan has never had that to base his game around so his falloff won’t be of that pattern and his injury history doesn’t suggest he will break down as a pocket QB. This is why Atlanta invested into the OL: Ryan and going RBBC.

Ryan will be 35 next year. He has at least 3 or 4 highly productive seasons in him. If he shows no signs of breakdown then, keep churning the roster for a SB window. I would not invest high draft capital in QB either of the next 2 seasons given the weaknesses on the roster. Get a QB to study behind him later rounds now if you must or higher around 2022 draft. It’s not like Matt is going anywhere anytime soon.

What we need is proper systems/schemes that allow the team to be lethal in run game and pass game; while building the Defense for once.

The initial response to my post about possibly drafting a QB was that it NEVER happens. I gave an instance where it did happen, and paid off. So the response was wrong.

People want to use QBs like Brady as the standard for the longevity of QBs with sustained success. Brady has been, and always will be, the outlier in every scenario, same could be said for Brees. More often than not you get declines, and injuries, as seen with Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger. 

Favre getting hit was part of his gunslinger mentality and his style of play. You’ll also notice that he only had one good year after Rodgers was drafted. So it was perfect timing when they got him.  Ryan is getting hit because he has had a crap offensive line for a good majority of his career. Ryan has been hit a lot in his career, not to mention on non-call roughing penalties. 

Ryan’s biggest strengths have been his intelligence and durability. I think Ryan has 1-2 years left of current play, then we’ll see a decent drop off in year 3. After that who knows. Waiting until you absolutely need a QB, is a really short sighted way of building a team. Grab a young QB and let him sit behind one of the most intelligent QBs in the league for a year or two, then let him loose.

We need a cogent HC. Preferably one with a high offensive acumen. And a veteran DC who has an ability to adapt to their opponent. 

28 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It happens more often than people think.  Off the top for my head, these Pro Bowl QB’s were all traded or cut while still playing at a very high level:

•  Montana

•  Favre

•  Manning

•. Moon to Vikings

•. Theisman From Dolphins to Skins (stop in CFL)

•  Plunkett

• Tarkenton

• Bledsoe

• Carsen Palmer

• Drew Brees

^ This. 

Certain posters try to make it seem like this NEVER happens, when it’s a common place in the NFL.

Get a young QB and let him learn under Ryan for the next few years. Ryan is playing well and has a vast amount of knowledge to give a new QB. The pressure for the new QB to start and win won’t be there.

Ryan’s gifts were always his “intangibles”. While his weaknesses were always his measurables. He has still succeeded in the NFL. I’m sure if we did draft a another QB, Ryan would be an amazing mentor to have. Similar to how Horn helped Roddy out. No one is saying to toss him out once a new QB gets here, quite the opposite. We still need Ryan for a few more years. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There was no luck if Manning wasn’t hurt. Colts were ready to move on even with out luck as they were due 30 M after the league year started in March. Manning was no where near close to healthy at that point. 

Lol I mean that goes without saying. If Manning wasn’t hurt they wouldn’t have been in a position to draft Luck. Kind of a weak argument.

The only reason they went QB with the first overall pick was because it was Andrew Luck. Who was touted as the second coming of Peyton Manning. He checked all the boxes and was considered a sure fire, can’t miss prospect. If it had been ANY other QB, I highly doubt they would have drafted them that high. 

We have much greater needs than a Day 1 or Day 2 QB.

You only make a Day 1 QB move if you are replacing Ryan within 3 years or it’s overkill. Patriots traded off how many dudes behind Brady over the years?

Falcons could’ve done that but kept older Chris on forever before bringing in Schaub.

I actually like what Benkert showed if it’s about a younger developing player.

The only guy pre-Mahomes to last in the last decade is RW and Rodgers; both HoF guys.

Cam was a flash in the pan as of today. Never developed as a passer.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You only make a Day 1 QB move if you are replacing Ryan within 3 years or it’s overkill. Patriots traded off how many dudes behind Brady over the years?

Falcons could’ve done that but kept older Chris on forever before bringing in Schaub.

The only guy pre-Mahomes to last in the last decade is RW and Rodgers; both HoF guys.

It won't matter, Madden warriors want a complete rebuild. Its gonna be fun till 2022.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Big Ben is not mobile QB. 

Yes, he is. Please watch some football games outside of the Falcons. 

58 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It won't matter, Madden warriors want a complete rebuild. Its gonna be fun till 2022.

Ah there it is. You know what I think is “Madden” like. Thinking that most teams wait until they don’t have a Quarterback until they draft one. Lol. 

6 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

^ This. 

Certain posters try to make it seem like this NEVER happens, when it’s a common place in the NFL.

Get a young QB and let him learn under Ryan for the next few years. Ryan is playing well and has a vast amount of knowledge to give a new QB. The pressure for the new QB to start and win won’t be there.

Ryan’s gifts were always his “intangibles”. While his weaknesses were always his measurables. He has still succeeded in the NFL. I’m sure if we did draft a another QB, Ryan would be an amazing mentor to have. Similar to how Horn helped Roddy out. No one is saying to toss him out once a new QB gets here, quite the opposite. We still need Ryan for a few more years. 

Unless said qb is the better player. If so, best man up!

3 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Yes, he is. Please watch some football games outside of the Falcons. 

Ah there it is. You know what I think is “Madden” like. Thinking that most teams wait until they don’t have a Quarterback until they draft one. Lol. 

Lmao. I am not even gonna bother with Big Ben mobile crap. Continue with your agenda.

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

Unless said qb is the better player. If so, best man up!

The likelihood of a young QB being better than Ryan from out the gate is slim. The College QBs coming into the league seem to have the athleticism but not as much knowledge of the game. Ryan can help bridge that gap. So that when they are ready to start, it’ll be a much smoother transition. 

17 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Cam was no **** flash in the pan. He was one of the best dual threats in NFL history for his size and skill-set. You have to get out of this mindset there is only one way to play QB in the NFL. Cam, like Matt Ryan, was great at what he does in his prime. For Matt Ryan, that's being a game manager. For Cam, that's being a dual-threat QB. Right now, both are washed and done.

You just do not understand football well enough to have a logical opinion. Your opinion is based on how you see the game, that's why your *** is in here defending Matt Ryan when anyone with logical sense can see Ryan is arm has greatly declined and the feet, which always operated like he had two left feet are now goofy and extremely slow so if he does not get it out fast or pray the line is blocking is better than excellent status, that he likely will end up getting sacked or throwing out of bounds; or much worse, like throwing picks or terrible incompletions for example. 

The way you see Matt Ryan is how this guy sees himself: