robertap

The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread

1,105 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, D.B.N. said:

Could the Falcons Trade Matt Ryan & Draft Tua in 2020?

by Connor Hooper2 days ago

The Falcons are currently tied for the 3rd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Atlanta should trade their star QB for additional picks in the draft next year.

If the season ended today, the 1-5 Falcons would be drafting in the first thirty minutes of the draft. It’s also very evident that the Dan Quinn era may be coming to an end in the next two weeks. That being said, if the Falcons are already out of the playoffs, why not go ahead and make moves that will benefit the team in the long run? This isn’t as crazy as it may sound.

New Coach, New QB, New Era

Matt Ryan has went through so many offensive coordinators in his career, that he has arguably not been able to fully mature into the quarterback everyone imagined. If Dan Quinn is fired, Ryan will once again have to learn a new system. That would not be good news for Falcons fans.

With the Boston College alumni being under contract through 2021, Atlanta should look to trade the QB that led them for the past decade and start fresh with a new QB and new coach. All this being said, how could the Falcons trade Ryan and get the #1 overall draft pick?

For this scenario to work out, the Falcons would need to finish the season with a 2020 draft pick in the top 10. They would also have to trade Ryan to a team that would have a 2020 top 10 pick. The question would then become, would the Dolphins or Bengals trade the #1 overall pick for two top ten picks? If so, Tua Tagovailoa will be in an Atlanta Falcons jersey next year.

Arthur Blank Should Consider Trading Ryan for Draft Picks

The Falcons traded five draft picks to get Julio Jones in 2011. It’s safe to say that trade worked out well (Jones is arguably the top receiver in the league). Imagine the draft picks that a team would trade to have an established QB that has a MVP to his name and tons of playoff experience. Matt Ryan would easily bring a 1st, 3rd, & 4th round pick.

Potential teams to trade with: Dolphins, Bengals, Colts, Titans, Redskins, & Buccaneers

The Super Bowl Window is Quickly Closing for Atlanta

With Julio Jones aging, the Falcons offense doesn’t have much longer to get a Super Bowl. The defense is still young, but the past two seasons should have fans alarmed. The only option left is to go ahead and start a quick rebuild. The offense would still have Alex Mack, Julio, Freeman or Ito, and Calvin Ridley. The defense would have Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, & Damontae Kazee to build around. Drafting Tua Tagovailoa isn’t an unrealistic idea. He very well could come into the NFL and be ready as quick as Patrick Mahomes.

The Falcons have tough decisions to make in the next two weeks. The team should realize the Matt Ryan era is over. He has reached his ceiling and they should trade him why they still can get value picks.

Could the Falcons shock the NFL and trade Ryan? It’s doubtful. But, if they did, 2020 will be Tua Time in ATL.

Three Alabama Crimson Tide stars leading the offense? Doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

https://atlallday.com/2019/10/14/atlanta-falcons-continue-downward-spiral-loss-arizona-cardinals/

You just said theres no way this happens then you make a post exploring the possibilities.....Okay 

1 hour ago, D.B.N. said:

Could the Falcons Trade Matt Ryan & Draft Tua in 2020?

by Connor Hooper2 days ago

The Falcons are currently tied for the 3rd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Atlanta should trade their star QB for additional picks in the draft next year.

If the season ended today, the 1-5 Falcons would be drafting in the first thirty minutes of the draft. It’s also very evident that the Dan Quinn era may be coming to an end in the next two weeks. That being said, if the Falcons are already out of the playoffs, why not go ahead and make moves that will benefit the team in the long run? This isn’t as crazy as it may sound.

New Coach, New QB, New Era

Matt Ryan has went through so many offensive coordinators in his career, that he has arguably not been able to fully mature into the quarterback everyone imagined. If Dan Quinn is fired, Ryan will once again have to learn a new system. That would not be good news for Falcons fans.

With the Boston College alumni being under contract through 2021, Atlanta should look to trade the QB that led them for the past decade and start fresh with a new QB and new coach. All this being said, how could the Falcons trade Ryan and get the #1 overall draft pick?

For this scenario to work out, the Falcons would need to finish the season with a 2020 draft pick in the top 10. They would also have to trade Ryan to a team that would have a 2020 top 10 pick. The question would then become, would the Dolphins or Bengals trade the #1 overall pick for two top ten picks? If so, Tua Tagovailoa will be in an Atlanta Falcons jersey next year.

Arthur Blank Should Consider Trading Ryan for Draft Picks

The Falcons traded five draft picks to get Julio Jones in 2011. It’s safe to say that trade worked out well (Jones is arguably the top receiver in the league). Imagine the draft picks that a team would trade to have an established QB that has a MVP to his name and tons of playoff experience. Matt Ryan would easily bring a 1st, 3rd, & 4th round pick.

Potential teams to trade with: Dolphins, Bengals, Colts, Titans, Redskins, & Buccaneers

The Super Bowl Window is Quickly Closing for Atlanta

With Julio Jones aging, the Falcons offense doesn’t have much longer to get a Super Bowl. The defense is still young, but the past two seasons should have fans alarmed. The only option left is to go ahead and start a quick rebuild. The offense would still have Alex Mack, Julio, Freeman or Ito, and Calvin Ridley. The defense would have Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen, & Damontae Kazee to build around. Drafting Tua Tagovailoa isn’t an unrealistic idea. He very well could come into the NFL and be ready as quick as Patrick Mahomes.

The Falcons have tough decisions to make in the next two weeks. The team should realize the Matt Ryan era is over. He has reached his ceiling and they should trade him why they still can get value picks.

Could the Falcons shock the NFL and trade Ryan? It’s doubtful. But, if they did, 2020 will be Tua Time in ATL.

Three Alabama Crimson Tide stars leading the offense? Doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

https://atlallday.com/2019/10/14/atlanta-falcons-continue-downward-spiral-loss-arizona-cardinals/

I am down with this as long as the trading team takes on MR2's salary. Use the first pick to take Tua or Herbert, use the other first to draft Swift. Use Ryan's money to sign some premium FA DLinemen. 

D.B.N. likes this

18 minutes ago, Diggable Birds said:

You just said theres no way this happens then you make a post exploring the possibilities.....Okay 

What are you talking about? I never said no way this happens 

27 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

I am down with this as long as the trading team takes on MR2's salary. Use the first pick to take Tua or Herbert, use the other first to draft Swift. Use Ryan's money to sign some premium FA DLinemen. 

Not how this works...

JDaveG and RING OF HONOR like this

19 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

This thing called the salary cap and the dead money associated with trading Ryan says this won't happen

Exactly

Plus there is one huge thing the OP is not thinking about.

...........why would a team that is tanking this season and trading away quality players want to trade for a good 34 year old vet QB?

This entire scenario makes no sense because that would turn the Dolphins plans upside down and will be just an awful team with a good quality QB that doesn't allow you to automatically win now because the rest of their roster is stripped down and is crap along with no longer having the draft capital to improve the team.. It will be like putting a quality QB on a deserted island.

Trading for Ryan would be a win now move for a team that's a QB away, not a rebuilding move. The Dolphins don't even have a team.

2 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Trading for Ryan would be a win now move for a team that's a QB away, not a rebuilding move. The Dolphins don't even have a team.

Yup.  Not to mention a team that's a QB away like, say the Titans, WITH Matt Ryan would likely result in a very low pick.  So trade away our best QB ever, who is playing at a high level amidst chaos, who still has plenty of good years left, for a pick in the high 20s and some other pics no where near #1.  Senseless.

That doesn't even get into the logistics of how it can't work with the money lol

1 minute ago, Embrace the suck said:

How does it work?

We eat the money.

In terms of salary cap impact, a trade is essentially the same as releasing a player. If a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money will accelerate into the next season. For some teams, that takes certain players off the table if their signing bonuses and other prorated bonuses are large. In general, if a player's dead money charge in a given year will prevent him from being released the following year, it will also prevent him from being traded during the given season.

The signing bonus also presents a major psychological barrier to trading. The “sunk cost trap” is something we all fall into in our daily lives. If you feel you already paid a large amount of money for something that no longer does the job you expected, you still try to fix it and make it work because you paid so much. Imagine paying somebody $20 million in a given year for a five-year contract and by the next year sending the balance of that contract to another team. In essence, you are handing that team $16 million of your money in return for a third-round pick. A general manager looks bad in that scenario.

This where I am with Ryan and ultimately I believe will cost DQ his job.If Ryan hasn’t proven that WCO is where he seemed to flourish the best I don’t know what to say.

For me that is his system why we changed away from that is the mistake we’ve made here.League mvp in that system fark me if I’m not getting a WCO oriented OC.

People question Ryan’s pocket movement in thee above mentioned that’s the part of Ryan’s game that flourished bootlegs rollouts to protect against pass rush.

WCO is what we need to get back to.No need to trade for anyone.

Jesus and athell like this

Tua is a terrible NFL QB. I can’t even believe threads like this exists. He’ll be exposed the second he steps onto an NFL field

5 hours ago, LouDog said:

I'm a huge Ryan fan and think all the **** people give him is ridiculous. With that said, id do this deal. Tua is going to be great and we would have tons of cash to build up the team around him if we made this kind of deal

What deal? Did I miss an offer?

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

What deal? Did I miss an offer?

Just talking about trading Ryan for a first and grabbing Tua. Not an actual deal. Just hypothetical.

AT THIS POINT, any talks of trading for picks down the road is silly for TD to make, with his future being in limbo.

He could be very well be setting himself up to be canned and helping the next guy get off to a great start!

5 hours ago, athell said:

You guys and your obsession with Tua...yikes...

To the OP, heck no.

One of the most overrated prospects in a while. No way am I trading a proven HOF caliber QB for him. 

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Just talking about trading Ryan for a first and grabbing Tua. Not an actual deal. Just hypothetical.

It’s gotta be for more than just a first. Anything less than at least three additional picks in the top four rounds including at the least one first, would be giving him away for next to nothing.

5 hours ago, athell said:

You guys and your obsession with Tua...yikes...

To the OP, heck no.

I’m not sold on him either. Would almost Prefer to wait a year and get fields, unless you have designated a guy.

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

It’s gotta be for more than just a first. Anything less than at least three additional picks in the top four rounds including at the least one first, would be giving him away for next to nothing.

I would only do it if it was a sure thing we could get Tua and I dont see that happening. Honestly id probably want 2 firsts. Trade our first plus the additional first to move up and grab Tua. Then have 2 firsts next year to fix the secondary.

I’m not sold on him either. Would almost Prefer to wait a year and get fields, unless you have designated a guy.

Fields cant read defenses. Maybe he will get better but as of now he is just am athlete playing the QB position.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

2 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I would only do it if it was a sure thing we could get Tua and I dont see that happening. Honestly id probably want 2 firsts. Trade our first plus the additional first to move up and grab Tua. Then have 2 firsts next year to fix the secondary.

Fix the secondary? We have NO pass rush! 

at this point, even if we did trade Ryan, I would get a hellafied pass rush in place before another QB. 

but also we don’t know who will be the GM So all of this is fantasy 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Fix the secondary? We have NO pass rush! 

at this point, even if we did trade Ryan, I would get a hellafied pass rush in place before another QB. 

but also we don’t know who will be the GM So all of this is fantasy 

We are 5th in the NFL in pass rush win percentage. But it doesnt matter because the QBs get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds because the secondary doesnt cover anybody. Our pass rush isnt the reason we arent getting sacks. Abraham in his prime wouldnt be getting sacks with our secondary playing how they are

4 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Winning football games brings excitement too. Which entails getting those things you mentioned. It boggles my mind that people think getting rid of MR2 will fix this franchises problems.

With a competent defense Matt is in the MVP discussion right now

How are you ever going to pay for a defense when Ryan needs all the most expensive offensive weapons around him to even be average? 

This is what no one can understand about the Ryan chest thumpers.. A team cant afford a defense around him for trying to give him all the ornaments he needs. How is this so difficult to understand? Ergo has still yet to be able to understand it takes money to build a defense and a team with Ryan behind center will never have it 

Chaz likes this

1 minute ago, LouDog said:

We are 5th in the NFL in pass rush win percentage. But it doesnt matter because the QBs get rid of the ball in less than 2 seconds because the secondary doesnt cover anybody. Our pass rush isnt the reason we arent getting sacks. Abraham in his prime wouldnt be getting sacks with our secondary playing how they are

I have seen the QB step away from that pressure and then run or throw, than them throw the ball quickly this year. 

Matter of fact, I have seen them Stand in the pocket for four or five seconds and then throw it to a soft “zone” more than folks blowing covering that early.